Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: FERMI Benchmarked?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    OCUK got in trouble last year for leaking i7 975 and 4890 numbers (which I verified). So if these come from OCUK (they are a reasonable sized PC/Component shop) so it is feasible that they have one in for testing. However, I will wait and see until I have a card on my bench or at least more reliable sources.
    The benchmarks were posted in the forums by a member who joined in november (if i remember correctly) and it is very possibly the same person who posted the other benchmarks in the tomshardware forums a day before (which were proved to be fake)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    if the benches arent real then whys amd preparing 5890/5990 for fermi arrival ??

no need for them spend time/resources for pointless releases

theyll need pumped up 5890/5990 for fermi arrival
    I think AMD/ATI knows better than anybody of us how good Fermi will be. My guess is that GTX380 is of course faster than HD-5870 and GTX395 (Dual GPU) faster than HD-5970. That's what they might need HD-5990 for
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    Umm, because like everyone else they know that Fermi will be faster than 5870 or there would be no point in even launching it.

not because AMD thinks this bench is real
    Why would there be no point in launching it?

That means that AMD should pack up shop and go home because they do not have an i7 killer yet? Or that they should not improve their current line up because people should just get an Intel chip?

I disagree with that. I hope Fermi does come out sooner than expected, and performs better than expected, it should drive ATi to improve their line up and/or drop prices on what they have. I am riding hte 4800 series train right now

As a "last gen" GPU buyer, when Fermi is released prices should drop enough on the 200 series that I should get to play with a few of them too Or, be able to afford a 5800 series after they lower their prices too

Ati fears fermi like the devil the holy water.
    Nvidia's Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable,Hot, slow, late and unmanufacturable
    As we have been saying since last May, Fermi GF100 is the wrong chip, made the wrong way, for the wrong reasons.
    by Charlie Demerjian

Quote Originally Posted by Arxagelos View Post
    If we assume that the devil and as well Fermi exists that might be true. Its always good to know what competition is up to...

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    and it doubled everything except bandwidth and only managed 50% more performance on average.
    Well there you have it.

Memory bandwith will become more and more important down the road, and hopefully make them rethink their entire pipelines, both HW and SW. They'll need something of a XDR2/wider buses or both. Bigger buckets, small pipes just doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by m.fox; 12-14-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    But this time the OCUK forum member has total of 12 posts...!!!
    True, maybe they are just being smarter about leaking it this time...
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Lets get real, YES the GTX380 will be faster than the 5870 otherwise nVidia would loose a lot of money. But thers no way that the GTX380 beats the 5970 by that amount just not logical. I mean, How come the 380 with its very large die size with 40nm is only using ~200w? There is physics laws to take into consideration. And the 380 will not cost anything less than 500$ with that large die size, trust me nVidia would be loosing money. Both company's use sideshows with performance indicator : 1.2x performance, 1.5x... not showing the fps like that slideshow posted by "successful troll". I am curious to know 003 how nVidia will be able to produce a Dual Fermi without really going low on specs and clocks? Not logical again. Really, if those bench's are for real, then, don't get disappointed, the Fermi will not see the light of the day until 3-4 months and then we can speculate about the HD6xxx launch.Oh yeah, how come thers no Crysis and DX11 benchmarks which are the main selling point of those cards?
    Last edited by Alous; 12-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Arxagelos View Post
    yeah i bet they do not that it is frightening like nvidias current situation

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Why would there be no point in launching it?

That means that AMD should pack up shop and go home because they do not have an i7 killer yet? Or that they should not improve their current line up because people should just get an Intel chip?

I disagree with that. I hope Fermi does come out sooner than expected, and performs better than expected, it should drive ATi to improve their line up and/or drop prices on what they have. I am riding hte 4800 series train right now

As a "last gen" GPU buyer, when Fermi is released prices should drop enough on the 200 series that I should get to play with a few of them too Or, be able to afford a 5800 series after they lower their prices too
    because of the size of Fermi. If they had to price it below 5870 it would be very costly to them I would assume.

Where as with AMD. They are able to at least make a little money with there CPU's thanks to the higher prices of I7 platform.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 12-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

whats the size of the ATI's?

Banned
    Ugh all these new people coming into this thread saying 'if it's real' or anything like that.. please atleast read the first few pages before posting. It's annoying reading new posts that repeat what everyone has said

Quote Originally Posted by Vit^pr0n View Post
    Ugh all these new people coming into this thread saying 'if it's real' or anything like that.. please atleast read the first few pages before posting. It's annoying reading new posts that repeat what everyone has said
    Im just resuming everything in one post

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt124 View Post
    whats the size of the ATI's?
    rv870 330 mm^2
    Fermi something around 500 mm^2

Xtreme Member
    LOL

Every post that comments on it must include the caveat "If it's real" otherwise they will get lambasted for assuming it is

Which it is pretty safe to assume it is not.

Slightly OT but I am wondering how 5970 with over 4TFLOPS of power can perform worse than a card with 1/3 of the crunching power. Also assuming that the 1.7TFLOP of the 380 is genuine of course

Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    rv870 330 mm^2
    Fermi something around 500 mm^2
    i take it that they will run hot then

Xtreme Guru
    you guys talk like fermi is just a refresh.. let me remind you its not

dont be surprised how and why fermi is more than twice as fast than 280/285 and faster than the 5000 series

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I think AMD/ATI knows better than anybody of us how good Fermi will be. My guess is that GTX380 is of course faster than HD-5870 and GTX395 (Dual GPU) faster than HD-5970. That's what they might need HD-5990 for
    amds gonna need their new 6000 series (whatever theyre going to name) to combat dual fermi.. 5890/5990 refreshes to keep as close as possible

amds gonna need their new 6000 series (whatever theyre going to name) to combat dual fermi.. 5890/5990 refreshes to keep as close as possible
    If we take into account actual product launches who needed what to compete?

This time Nvidia is really late and I imagine they will feel the breath of both ATI HD 5890/5990 and HD 6000 on their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    LOL

Every post that comments on it must include the caveat "If it's real" otherwise they will get lambasted for assuming it is

Which it is pretty safe to assume it is not.

Slightly OT but I am wondering how 5970 with over 4TFLOPS of power can perform worse than a card with 1/3 of the crunching power. Also assuming that the 1.7TFLOP of the 380 is genuine of course
    Hmm, I dont see the point, I currently have the 5970 so I am really not trying to defend nVidia. Yes 5970 has lots of raw power, but that depends on drivers, only if nVidia would code for ATi, we would see true 4tera in games And +1 for Ati for rushing, now they have much more knowledge and experiences with the cards and with DX11.
    Last edited by Alous; 12-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Florinmocanu View Post
    Well, from the same comparison GTX 295 scores 54fps in the real review, in the slides it has 67 fps.
    Seriously..?

Anyone can take FPS of the 5870/5970 and put it into a slide with a fake fermi benchmark. I don't understand how anyone can even think they 'could' be real just from the fact that the 5970 benchmark is the same as reviews?
    True.

I own ATI and will own ATI for my next upgrade. I was just stating something I noticed, I didn't look at the graphs for any more than 30 seconds...
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    you guys talk like fermi is just a refresh.. let me remind you its not

dont be surprised how and why fermi is more than twice as fast than 280/285 and faster than the 5000 series
    The architecture is indeed an unknown variable in this game called graphic-card-industry. Still, seeing and believing NVIDIA thinks the future is HPC I'm not all that optimistic about Fermi's gaming performance. Who knows how many transistors are there for solely for HPC and GPGPU?

Depending on Fermi's performance. But we don't know much about the 6k-series either, only that AMD/ATI said RV870 will be the last GPU based on R600's architecture. The 6k-series might be "late" to the party as well.

Who knows? Only god (or one of your gods ; if there are gods).

I am Xtreme
    nvidia does try and go beyond just gaming. if i had to use CUDA just a little, i might not care that i get 5FPS less compared to an equally priced ATI card, cause you are getting some bonus features. which may not be for everyone, but do exist and do have a purpose.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    nvidia does try and go beyond just gaming. if i had to use CUDA just a little, i might not care that i get 5FPS less compared to an equally priced ATI card, cause you are getting some bonus features. which may not be for everyone, but do exist and do have a purpose.
    Noone's questioning that, I know there are people who bought NVIDIA's cards just because they are dedicated to folding. Is this a problem? Nope

But, I personally think we here are more interested in it's graphics performance At least I am

He, this song fits the situation and it's playing right now: Devildriver - I could care less

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadov View Post
    If we take into account actual product launches who needed what to compete?

This time Nvidia is really late and I imagine they will feel the breath of both ATI HD 5890/5990 and HD 6000 on their necks.
    so amd didnt need the 5000 series to compete ? lol

nvidia needs fermi.. then amd needs the next gen and so forth.. nothing new.. repeating history

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    The architecture is indeed an unknown variable in this game called graphic-card-industry. Still, seeing and believing NVIDIA thinks the future is HPC I'm not all that optimistic about Fermi's gaming performance. Who knows how many transistors are there for solely for HPC and GPGPU?

Depending on Fermi's performance. But we don't know much about the 6k-series either, only that AMD/ATI said RV870 will be the last GPU based on R600's architecture. The 6k-series might be "late" to the party as well.

Who knows? Only god (or one of your gods ; if there are gods).
    lol what you guys think those shaders do ? they just sit around and wait for direct computing when gaming ? just because the gpu is multi purpose dont mean it sux @ gaming or its not a gaming gpu

look those of you that have the 5000 series enjoyem while you can.. cometh fermi enjoy lower prices from amd.. rejoice that amd will work hard @ their next gen

whose the loser here ?? amd/nivida make $.. we all enjoy new graphics.. win win for all

Xtreme Addict
    lol what you guys think those shaders do ? they just sit around and wait for direct computing when gaming ? just because the gpu is multi purpose dont mean it sux @ gaming or its not a gaming gpu
    I didn't mean the shaders. But iIrc Fermi has quite massive cache as well. Is this needed for gaming and SP-performance? Just one example

But I'm afraid I have no clue about such things

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast