Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin's custom "Thin Line" waterblock worklog

Xtreme X.I.P.

Martin's custom "Thin Line" waterblock worklog

First up is my inspiration behind the design. For the LGA775 artic silver 5 method of TIM application it's, a nice "THIN LINE"....

This is a picture Audi posted about modifying the AS tube to get a really nice thin line:

The real intent behind all of this is that the C2D and Quad Core both have sort of rectangular die dimensions under the IHS. So...I went with this thought and I'm constructing a nice thin line type block, one inlet, dual outlet.

I'll just post my block progress pics here:

Milling the slab out square and step down:

Pin cut 1

Pin cut 2

And this is where I'm at currently. Cleaned up the base a bit by removing the partial pins and flat perimeter, still need to sandblast. I also have a good start on the mid block made out of Lexan/Polycarbonate:

And a better view of the guts...
    Still need to trim off around the perimeter of the midblock outside edge, but I figured I'd get it all bolted together first then trim the block nicely as one unit for a perfect match.

So it's got a linear nozzle in the center and two linear outlets at the top and bottom. Note the 45 degree square pin cut will force the water to weave through the pin matrix.

Also still contemplating o-ring vs. other gasket methods.. I think I left just enough room to cut an o-ring channel step, but I'm not sure what I want yet..

Update 10-16 Top Block Progress
    Underside:

Top down view:

Update 10-17 Sand Blasted Base, finished top block, finished perimeter, machined base

Updated 10-18 Finished assembly, temporary hold down plate, installed and getting ready to test..

Rocker/Single center point force mounting plate..

Next up, had to see the nozzle/accelerator jets in action...

And here is the block installed, quick and dirty hold down plate until I figure out something cooler, but it works.

In operation:

Update on Version 2... 11-2-07, deburred and dished base between pins, removed nozzle holes in favor of a continuous slot.

I decided to try very small changes to my CPU block at a time and test results thoroughly.

For this round I did the following:

Deburred the copper pin base with a 1/32" drill bit. There were some burrs left from the slotting saw that this cleaned up and it also left the base between the pins with a more efficient rounded bottom in between all the pins.

Second, I noticed that the block was fairly restrictive, almost more than my nozzled fuzion, and that the nozzle holes didn't necessarily line up with the pin openings.
    The nozzle change:

New results...getting closer one degree at a time... Actually it's doing very very well for how unrestrictive of a block as it is. The nozzles on the fuzion add alot of restriction, and this is much less restriciton.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-02-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I can not wait to see results. Is there any downside to have 2 outs? Seems like everyone has moved away from that design.

--pak
    Q6600 400x9 1.5vcore
    P5kdeluxe Ballistix 2x1gb
    D5 coolrad32t Fuzion
    EVGA 8800GTS 320 600/900
    2xRaptor 36g Raid-0
    Creative X-Fi Extrememusic
    PCP&P silencer 750 copper
    Built for the sole purpse to play World Of Warcraft and troll XSforums.
    Heat

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by pak View Post
    I can not wait to see results. Is there any downside to have 2 outs? Seems like everyone has moved away from that design.

--pak

Thanks!

Only trouble is having to install either a Y adapter or dual inlet reservoir, both of which work fine. With another layer in the block I could eliminate the dual outlet, but that wide thin line just doesn't leave much room for channels around.

I don't like reservoirs all that much, and I don't care for the commercial Y fittings, so I fabricated my own..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    While I'm all for just whipping up a prototype and seeing how it performs (it adds pretty pics to the forum ), you may want to consider learning a heat analysis program. Even a rudimentary one may help you in your designs and save you time and money in the long run.

As to where to get one, I don't have one off the top of my head

But that looks like a good start on a design. I eagerly await your results. It's been too long since people tried to design their own blocks.

Nice Work Man
    ABIT P35 PRO E6750 2900XT 4 GIG GSKILL

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome! It's so great to see some unique water block designs! Excellent workmanship!

Xtreme Member
    I always like it when new designs come out. The more diversity and the more data is always a good thing.

Data Good.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by THE JEW (RaVeN) View Post
    I eagerly await your results. It's been too long since people tried to design their own blocks.
    Oh, there's still a few guys with the tools doing it. AussieJester does all his own blocks. Last I heard he'd still do a custom block if you asked nicely.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    aussiejester only does blocks for friends and family

but nice work martin, looking forward to results and finished product!!

Hope you get the idea, sorry about a rough paint editing

Last edited by perfection; 10-16-2007 at 02:09 AM.
    My Rig

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 L626A175 3GHZ 1.30V real
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 stock speed and timings
    Motherboard: Asus P5E X38 333MHZ FSB x9 multi
    Video: Gigabyte 8800GTS 320mb stock speeds
    Soundcard Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Hard Drives Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATAII (boot) > Samsung HD501J 500GB SATAII (Storage)
    Case: Lian Li PC-S80
    Powersupply: Corsair HX620W 620watt
    Optical: Samsung SH-S182D DVDRW 18x
    Monitor: Asus MW221U 22" LCD
    Mouse: Logitech CF G7
    Keyboard: Logitech G15
    Speakers: Logitech Z5500

The water cooling

CPU waterblock: Swiftech Apogee (original with custom top and mounting plate)
    GPU waterblock: EK FC8800GTS Acrylic
    Pump: Laing D5 Vario "3" speed setting
    Radiator: Swiftech MCR220 w/ 120mm Yate Loons D12SM-12 running at 7V
    Resevoir - Swiftech MCRES Micro - Pentison G11

Banned
    Wow thats really impressive. Kinda DD RBX but with a Storm's jets and GTX base.

I like it and can't wait to see what happens dude

Good luck

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow, looks amazing. hoep it all works out cool

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Having fun with your new toy eh?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    why the dual outlet..what advantage does this provide...
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    should provide better flow, faster u can get the fluid in and out of the block as well as removing as much heat as possible is what you would be looking for.
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

I am Xtreme
    i always love self-made / 'hand' made stuff - gives an object distinction & uniqueness that is hard to obtain.. wish i had the skill & tools to do that!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

I am Xtreme
    so when will they available for sale???
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I agree with the suggestion to combine them into a single outlet... its a good solution too.

I like the line of Storm-esque jets... should work well. Massively restrictive though I would think.

Banned
    Aw man that is an absolutely beutiful design. The only thing I could see improving on would be to make the pins thinner. Having the thinner pins would allow for more turbulance right? Anyways, great job man, i can't wait for some results.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice design. Looks like you took the pro's of most of the recent major waterblocks, and put them all together into one design, eh?

Can't wait to see the results. And more pics!

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks guys,

I'll keep plugging away, might try a couple of different mid/top block ideas. I also might try milling the base thinner and thinner as I get some testing done to see how that changes things.

I do have some thinner slotting saws, but I'll need to make a custom arbor to reinforce the blade better. It was hard enough cutting these with the 1/32" saw, can we say "CNC" material...very time consuming.

Anhow, just having fun with my new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Thanks guys,

I'll keep plugging away, might try a couple of different mid/top block ideas. I also might try milling the base thinner and thinner as I get some testing done to see how that changes things.

I do have some thinner slotting saws, but I'll need to make a custom arbor to reinforce the blade better. It was hard enough cutting these with the 1/32" saw, can we say "CNC" material...very time consuming.

Anhow, just having fun with my new toy!
    Are you going to try steping it like nikhsub1 did?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160566

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=161963

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by nubtrash View Post
    Yes I do plan to try that. I'd rather go really thin on the base and use the mid/top blocks for added rigidity. The step would be better on a thin base than bowing would.

So I'll probably go with a 23mm square, but only a very minor step like .005".

I also have a "Different" idea for a top mounting plate that should eliminate torsion on the block and alow consistently good mounts. Not sure it'll work yet, but I'll post it when it's done.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
    Martin

use both 2 port and 3 port top for data,
    on the three port top use the center as thermal probe, after done test, i give you some info to squease a bit more out of the copper
    Will do..thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    Looking good. Nice to see you implementing your 326 lb toy and not just letting it collect dust. Keep it up

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Hamster Powered
    Very nice work. I really like the implementation of dual outlets for performance and even water discharge.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast