View Poll Results: Is it worth it to control pumps? In my case two ddc3.2

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 21.21%
  • No

26 78.79%

Thread: Ordering panic! Need to decide, Aquaero or Mcubed!

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast

Exclamation Ordering panic! Need to decide, Aquaero or Mcubed!

Hello, I'm In a bit of panic! I'm ordering stuff soon, like tomorrow. And I need your help!

I cant decide if I should go Mcubed or Aquaero. And if it even is worth it to control the 2 ddc's

Choice #1: Use Mcubed's products and control the two ddc3.2's
    Products needed: Mcubed BigNG, Sensorhub And? What extra should i get to have the two DDC3.2's? Maybe a MiniNG? or 2 Fanamps?

This also give me some safety if one of the pumps decide to die on me (automatic shutdown)

Choice #2: No control over pumps and just control the fans.
    Products needed: Aquaero

They both have pros and cons.

Mcubed
    + Raw power.
    + A lot of addons .
    + Huge amount of sensors.
    + Digital sensors.
    - Old software (but ill think they are working on updates. But how much?)
    - Messy program.

Aquaero
    + Easy setup.
    + Good program and updated software.
    + Good Support from aquaero.
    - Lacks in power output.
    - Controling the pumps.

That are the ones I can come to think of...

My gut tells me to go with the aquaero but I really don't know

Edit:

I'm holding off on the buying any of the controllers since naekuh informed me about koolance new product!
    Last edited by Brodholm; 03-19-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post

Choice #2: No control over pumps and just control the fans.
    Products needed: Aquaero
    bet you your fans will be louder then the pumps, so no keep the pumps on full all the time.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    +1 naekuh

just get a mcubed if you got 10+ fans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will have 3 Scythe S-flex (1200rpm) at each pa120.2 and then 2 other fans. But compared to a fan the DDCs are loud. But im making a petras gel stuff sandwich and I'm hoping it will kickass

The fans will mainly go at low speed like 800rpm or so. Ill control them after water temps. I want this system to be silent

But i get no safety if i don't have any monitoring.

Chasing After Diety
    well ive been nagging dean for koolance's TMP-200.

Same thing as the BigNG.

:T

So theres one to make your list longer.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

Same thing as the BigNG.

What is a TMP-200? If you could just briefly tell me what it does I would be very happy!

I really dont have time for all this, our currency "SEK" Swedish Krona. Have been very strong these last days and I'm afraid that it will drop before I have decided!

Edit: I have been searching around a bit but I cant seem to find much info about it. How much wattage it can handle and stuff like that. And if anyone have some information on this, please share it!

Edit Edit: I saw that the TMP-200 got released today! March 19!
    Last edited by Brodholm; 03-19-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I really dont have time for all this, our currency "SEK" Swedish Krona. Have been very strong these last days and I'm afraid that it will drop before I have decided!
    Edit Edit: I saw that the TMP-200 got released today! March 19!
    I would not worry about the SEK exchange rate, i think it will continue to get better but who knows.

If you feel worried the SEK will drop, just drop by the bank or Forex and get some €, $, £ or whatever gives you a buzz.
    "I don't have a masters degree, but even I know that mixing water and electronics is a stupid thing to do."
    My girlfriend.

"It's easy to get sideways at first thinking there is ONE BEST product for each area of water cooling. But, that's not always the case - depends on your exact setup and needs."
    shazza

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

Same thing as the BigNG.

just remember that the TMP-200 is a stupid piece of hardware compared to the bigng and aquaero, additionally the aquaero has th ebest fan controller software out there and once configured you can use it completely os-independent (big plus for linux + hackintosh fi you're into these systems)

bigng has some extra features, especially with the sensorhub + mining and allows you to control 2 pumps, 6 digital sensors, 10 analog and lots of fans but the software isn't on the same level

the koolance controller is really weak compared to the bigng and aquaero, mit may deliver more amps but it's quite easy to build channel amps
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

does anyone know how much extra power (watts) these controllers add on the total? Given, let's say two DDC 3.2 and 5 fans are controlled.

Xtreme Addict
    The BigNG handles more power than the Aqua, but it's automated controls are flakey and kind of annoying to work with. If you just want it for undervolting, it works fine though. The Aqua's only good for 10-15W, iirc, while the BigNG is apparently rated for 25W, which is slightly better. But neither is suited for handling multiple pumps (DDC 3.2 = 18W), though, let alone fans as well. The Koolance unit actually looks really interesting, and seems to have much higher power handling capabilities.

Check out THIS THREAD if you're curious about the Koolance unit.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Get the Aquaero. It has a wonderful balance of 'set and forget' and 'endless tinker'. Some will tell you that you need onboard temp sensing, but you don't. It doesn't matter. All you need is water temp sensing, and then adjust your fans for that automatically. The fans cool the water, not the cpu.
    Current Project: City of Light, (sortof) Updated 3/25 - A New Arrival

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by headala View Post
    Get the Aquaero. It has a wonderful balance of 'set and forget' and 'endless tinker'. Some will tell you that you need onboard temp sensing, but you don't. It doesn't matter. All you need is water temp sensing, and then adjust your fans for that automatically. The fans cool the water, not the cpu.
    Definitely go with the Aquaero.

Quote Originally Posted by headala View Post
    The fans cool the water, not the cpu.
    Ehh, I definately would like the fan/pump speed to be based on what is being cooled (cpu, gpu), rather than the medium (water).

Quote Originally Posted by gena View Post
    Ehh, I definately would like the fan/pump speed to be based on what is being cooled (cpu, gpu), rather than the medium (water).
    Naa, if the Heat from the CPU stays the same, the deltaT Water-Cores ist the same at 10° C Water or 40°C Water

@Brodholm: You wanted Silence, but still went with two DDC3.2?

Nevermind... As i own both the bigNG and the Aquaero, i would go with the Aquaero for the fans, and keep the pumps on 12V..

*First Post, yeah*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Joe View Post
    Naa, if the Heat from the CPU stays the same, the deltaT Water-Cores ist the same at 10° C Water or 40°C Water

@Brodholm: You wanted Silence, but still went with two DDC3.2?

Nevermind... As i own both the bigNG and the Aquaero, i would go with the Aquaero for the fans, and keep the pumps on 12V..

*First Post, yeah*
    Yeah, I know...

I want silence and good performance. Thats why I'm thinking of slowing down the pumps. So I can get performance when I need it.

Thats why i thought that the TMS-200 should be perfrect. Although it has its downs to.

The Koolance TMP looks interesting. But, agree with headala's comments. With the aquaero, just plug a temp sensor into your water loop, and use the aquasuite software to set up a controll profile. Very easy to do.

Banned
    i still choosing as well but having a micro proccessor is better then not having one hence, tmp-200
    the thing people like about the tpm-200 is that it can control 2 d5s 2 unrestrive flow meters sensors and 6 fan channels

the bigNG and aquareo have micro proccesors which is better in detecting system failure then software based controllers(i am not sure if this true though)
    i perfer bigNG simply because the output i can put on it
    i have 4 channels rated at 20 watts and yateloon lows and mediums take about 4 watts each at max - so about 4-5 fans can go per channel so you can have up to 16-20fans
    the aquareo lacks power output but has the best software

depending on your needs i would go more fans bigNG less fans aquareo + the display

Maybe I'm just losing my hearing, but I have 2 MCP355s and 1 MCP350 in my case, and I just plain don't hear them once the air has all been removed. I have to actually touch the bottoms of the pumps to verify they are running. It just seems much more logical and practical to control the fans, and not mess around with pump/flow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Maybe I'm just losing my hearing, but I have 2 MCP355s and 1 MCP350 in my case, and I just plain don't hear them once the air has all been removed. I have to actually touch the bottoms of the pumps to verify they are running. It just seems much more logical and practical to control the fans, and not mess around with pump/flow.
    Well, I had mine going for 1 day and there was no bubbles left in the loop but it makes a whining noise that is irritating. My ddc was louder than a Yate SL. And I think that the SL was quiet noisy. This was on a test bench though. The case does of course reduce some noise.

But even when i held the ddc in my hand it was noisy. But if i pinch the housing hard so less water get though it silences down. I have heard that some DDC3.2 makes a lot of noise when the don't have enough restriction.

If someone can answer me this I would be very happy.

Hot much does the water change in temperature if the cpu is at like 30C or 60C and how long does that usually take? Because I'm thinking of changing fan speeds after water temperature.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gena View Post
    Then I suggest you might consider aircooling, thats exactly how it works.

Hot much does the water change in temperature if the cpu is at like 30C or 60C and how long does that usually take? Because I'm thinking of changing fan speeds after water temperature.
    I'll run Prime later and let you know my results but I have my fans set progressively to follow the RAD which I set to 25°C reference and 28°C MAX. This keeps the fans at ~ 600 - 800 rpm and a RES temp of ~23.6°C normally with 21.5°C ambients.
    ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME || Q9650 @ 4.32GHz 1.38v || (2) x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D || SAPHIRE HD 4870 X2 || CORSAIR HX 1000W || ANTEC 1200
    cuplex XT di || Bitspower AIX48SNE-BK || BP-AM48 || (2) BP-WBAMOS1-BK || feser 480 w/ (4) S-Flex F
    aquaero VFD || aquatube white delrin || aquabay || tubemeter || aquastream XT Ultra || aquagratiX HD 4870 X2 wip

Xtreme Member
    Hot much does the water change in temperature if the cpu is at like 30C or 60C and how long does that usually take? Because
    Ok I ran Prime95 64bit for just over an hour. Start temps:
    CPU cores 35,35,33,29 ( I needs to calibrate that last core )
    Ambient 21.5°C
    RAD 24.0°C
    RES 23.5°C
    Fan ch_1 800 rpm 6.1v, 50%
    Fan ch_2 800 rpm

The temps went up quickly and w/ in ~ 5 minutes settled down after one hour the temps were:
    CPU cores 58,58,56,53 ( I needs to calibrate that last core )
    Ambient 21.8°C
    RAD 25.7°C
    RES 24.9°C
    Fan ch_1 1254 rpm 9.8v, 80%
    Fan ch_2 1260 rpm

(4)S-Flex F, feser 480, low flow loop with NB/ SB (3) mosfets and CPU block

5 minutes after I stopped Prime the water temps were back to where I started. I took a screen dump of the aquasuite showing the sensors and Real Temp and have a printout of the aquasuite analyze log data showing water in/ out and fan channels. I can post them or PM them if you wants.
    ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME || Q9650 @ 4.32GHz 1.38v || (2) x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D || SAPHIRE HD 4870 X2 || CORSAIR HX 1000W || ANTEC 1200
    cuplex XT di || Bitspower AIX48SNE-BK || BP-AM48 || (2) BP-WBAMOS1-BK || feser 480 w/ (4) S-Flex F
    aquaero VFD || aquatube white delrin || aquabay || tubemeter || aquastream XT Ultra || aquagratiX HD 4870 X2 wip

Xtreme Member
    I agree with Shazza why mess around with the pumps, I can't hear my DDC 3.2's either I might be going deaf as well..
    Mountain Mods ex. Ascension + pedestal - EVGA X58 Classified (E759) - i7 980x@4.5 - 6990+6970 Tri-Fire

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have two other comments:

1) are you SURE that you can change the RPM/noise of a DDC in real time? I think I remember something a while back about it being built for industrial use and intentionally resistant to voltage fluctuations. Maybe that was BS, but it's worth testing with a fan controller before you go all out...

2) if you want more power out of the Aquaero, you can use a FanAmp I believe.
    Other links:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=22223
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3750.html
    Current Project: City of Light, (sortof) Updated 3/25 - A New Arrival