Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Xtreme Cruncher
    INQ(referrencing CRN) disclosed the exact max. frequency of 940 under LN2,it's 6.3Ghz.That's mere 11% lower than 7Ghz.I guess that extreme benchers will have fun time conquering the 7Ghz milestone now that 6.3Ghz was done on pre-production stepping.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post
    Thie abstract below was already a while on IEDM's technical program for
    December. Not yet implemented on current Shanghai's but still to come.

Notice that a NMOS drive current of 1354μA/μm is the same as on Intel's
    HKMG process without the HKMG. The current Shanghai has been
    measured to have a PMOS drive current of 660 μA/μm. Much less as the
    857μA/μm mentioned here.

http://www.his.com/~iedm/program/sessions/s27.html

Regards, Hans
    AMD/IBM is 1354/857 NMOS/PMOS at what voltage and Ioff ?

Intel is 1360/1070 at 1V and 100nA/um Ioff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    INQ(referrencing CRN) disclosed the exact max. frequency of 940 under LN2,it's 6.3Ghz.That's mere 11% lower than 7Ghz.I guess that extreme benchers will have fun time conquering the 7Ghz milestone now that 6.3Ghz was done on pre-production stepping.
    good lord this seems so unbelievable

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Am not shocked by the news of AMD´s new cpu. They have been playing underdog for a long time and had all the time to rectify their mistakes. Well am waiting for these cpus to hit the shelfs. God 6.3Ghz for the underdog that has recieved a lot of bashing and the cpu was not cherry picked, got me burning with upgrading fever
    Last edited by Shocker003; 11-21-2008 at 06:48 AM.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Yeah, I was just gonna quote that if someone else hadn't. 6.3ghz, even if cherry picked is still pretty darn good. Much better than the 65nm Phenoms in pre-production.

I just wonder what the bad ole...er good ole P4 on 45 or 32nm would clock like.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Member
    6.3 ghz....
    damn, that is really fast, even for a post screen (which i expect, win stable would be too good to be true)
    thats like double clock speed than the barcelonas @ launch

how long itll take until someone gets it bench stable @ 6ghz
    i guess before 8.1 2009
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post

I just wonder what the bad ole...er good ole P4 on 45 or 32nm would clock like.
    yeah i wonder that sometimes meyself.

32nm HKMG p4... maybe 10 ghz?

Xtreme Member
    more, given that the 65 nm parts managed over 8 ghz

i would place by bet at around 15ghz
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    Well there it is, I'm 100% convinced.

Looks like just like with ATI vs Nvidia I was right... AMD is coming back!

And the best part? i7 is good too, options people!

Odd how when the news is positive for AMD SOOOO many "certain" users don't show up at all. What's up guys? Why no posty?
    Here's why I didn't. As I told you, Hornett133 and even LOE;

Quote Originally Posted by BE
    Damn , Charles no disrespect intended but you are sounding as cynical as Shintai & Donnie
    Coming from anyone but him, I'd take that as a compliment. The other side of cynicism is loyalty and fanaticism.

I have a friend who's under NDA giving me what info he can and that's why I said I believed AMDin the other thread, remember? Doesn't change folks here with grudges uh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    AMD/IBM is 1354/857 NMOS/PMOS at what voltage and Ioff ?
    Well, It's not from IBM . It's a paper from the AMD Dresden guys who did
    manage to do this. I presume they use the (more or less) standard
    reference point of 1V/100nA/um. IBM tends to use 200nA/um

Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    Intel is 1360/1070 at 1V and 100nA/um Ioff.
    Yes, The very high PMOS current is because of their gate replacement
    process. By etching the whole polysilicon gate away they leave a big gap
    and all the strain is released on the channel.

Intel's 32nm HKMG numbers are: Intel is 1550/1210 at 1V and 100nA/um Ioff.
    http://btbmarketing.com/iedm/release...news_final.doc

There are also some HKMG numbers from IBM/Freescale/AMD
    1630μA/µm and 1190μA/µm have been demonstrated at 1V and 200nA/μm off
    corrected for 100nA that would be 1570/1160μA/µm or so.

All still R&D papers of course at the moment.

Regards, Hans

If I were the one at AMD doing a "partial handpick" I'd be testing about 20-30 random chips and make sure to pick something fairly average--not a lemon and not a cherry. Unrelated: What makes a lemon so bad and a cherry so good? I don't like cherries, but I'll eat a lemon anytime.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    I saw this on Guru3D yesterday and couldn't get these forums to load at all.

All I could think was "holy XS must have destroyed itself in the face of such epic news".

Anyways, birthdays in jan aswell. Deneb for meeeeeee!

oooh, exciting.

Xtreme Addict
    If they start making really high performance amd boards for this release I might pick one up on release although the intel boards are looking even better then before and they always have looked better then the amd offerings IMO, Ill wait and see
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Addict
    Why would one need "better" board when the current ones can already hit these results?

Xtreme Member
    Top end 790fx costs 170 euros....
    That gx tested only costs 120 eyros...
    Cpu:Phenom ΙΙ 965 c3 @ 4.1Ghz/2.8nb (air cooled)
    Mobo: Asus M3a79-T Deluxe
    Ram:A-data 2x2 800+ @ 1000
    Gpu:Asus Hd4850 512mb @ 700/1050(sycthe Musashi)
    Hdd:500gb Seagate 7200.11
    Psu:Corsair Hx620
    Cooling: TRue(dual fan)
    Case: Coolermaster Haf 932...

Yeah, I'd rather keep boards like we have now just with better PWMs. I don't need artwork, I just want a slab of PCB with some PCIe slots on it, some RAM slots, and a CPU socket. I care not what it looks like or how "simple" or "old" the layout is. Style can bite me. Give me an affordable board that can demonstrate good performance any day!
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Why would one need "better" board when the current ones can already hit these results?
    IMO the current AM2 offerings arent very impressive im not saying they wont perform but I would rather go with the feature stacked intel 1366 boards which look nice offer performance and are stacked with features
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    I think he means "better" board regarding to extras/components. (more sata ports, solid state caps, better power circuit etc... )

Banned
    This will make life easier for the ones that like to support the underdog

Let's hope that AMD prices Deneb like Shangai, that is cheaper then Barcelona.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    No, maybe you do know, not us. We are not blind believers, or at least me. I would never trust a hypothetical 8GHz Core2/i7 until I see the benches and the numbers. This is not a religion you know
    Im sorry to say, well, sort off, since that post is weird.

Why wouldnt a C2/i7 be able to hit 8Ghz? I mean, I never would have thought P4 couldt hit 8Ghz, but it did. Of course I know the architecture of a P4 is different then C2/i7, but still. I didnt expect in all fairness that i7 would go straight up to 4Ghz without a lot of issues.

Also a CPU-Z validation is worth just as much as a confirmation from multiple sources and people, like Tony and saaya, who should be most of the time unbiased in their expression.

Comparing Tony's post with a religion while your CPU-Z claim tells me that you do not believe it... Although there's been multiple times someone either managed to 'hack' CPU-Z or simply CPU-Z its self made an error. It's a nice program and most of the time it's right, still it ain't anything more reliable than multiple unbiased sources admitting the whole happening.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Mentor
    who asked for pictures?

Macci rides again
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post
    Thie abstract below was already a while on IEDM's technical program for
    December. Not yet implemented on current Shanghai's but still to come.

Notice that a NMOS drive current of 1354μA/μm (without HKMG) is the same
    as on Intel's HKMG process . The current Shanghai has been measured to
    have a PMOS drive current of 660 μA/μm. Much less as the 857μA/μm
    mentioned here.

Regards, Hans
    Hans,

THanks for the link... this is exactly what I would like to see -- unfortunately, I will need to wait for the proceedings to show up in the library some month or two later -- unless you go to this, in which case you can probably tell us what Ioff they extracted those number from (typically, that is 100 nA/um). The lower drive current in Shangahi is not really a concern, simply depends on the conditions. Typically AMD/IBM report AC Idsat numbers, and it would not surprise me if the chop shop measured it DC.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Uhm I'm not exactly getting what you are saying.
    Are you saying that the NMOS driver current of 1354μA/μm on AMD's 45 nm. process is the same as on Intel's 45 nm. HKMG process, even though AMD's process does not use HKMG? Or is that NMOS driver current of AMD's 45 nm. process the same as what Intel would get if they had a 45 nm. process that did not use HK materials and metal gates? I'm guessing the former....

Could it be that their C3 revision of Shanghai and Deneb will implement these optimizations? That could explain the lower TDPs on their AM3 Deneb chips.
    That is what the abstracts says, and this is what Intel's 45 nm NMOS driver current is from last year's IEDM. It is hard to compare these numbers from this statement, the abstract does not specify voltage, or Ioff. If they did this at 1.4 V and an Ioff = 200 nA/um, for example, then this is siginficantly lower than Intel's work.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
    IMO the current AM2 offerings arent very impressive im not saying they wont perform but I would rather go with the feature stacked intel 1366 boards which look nice offer performance and are stacked with features
    I hope you're not fishing at huge heatsinks, fancy colours and putting 'Xtreme' on every part of the board right?

Quote Originally Posted by leoy View Post
    Top end 790fx costs 170 euros....
    That gx tested only costs 120 eyros...
    Top end 790FX is 130 Euro's or so. Besides that, 790FX is already enthusiast chipset anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    I have a friend who's under NDA giving me what info he can and that's why I said I believed AMDin the other thread, remember? Doesn't change folks here with grudges uh?
    Why the need to explain the other side of cynicism? I mean, if he was loyal or whatever, Im sure he wouldnt have an Intel rig You do know what loyalty stands for, right? Also loyalty doesnt have to be a bad thing, but it depends a bit on what subject though

Also Ive this certain issue not to believe certain people most of the time if the majority of their posts contains too much under aged context and wrong intentions. Somehow it makes me think this certain group of people are very unreliable

Maybe more people have this issue. And in all fairness, I dont see why they should change their mind when they meet certain people who fit in this certain group If a plane is considered unreliable, and this airplane compagny says it flew without issues 50Km for the first time in 1 year, I still wouldnt want to be in there.

Disclaimer, I love flying, not a rant about planes
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    average 3.6 on air with 1.4v, more voltage doesnt help really...

some chips can do 4ghz on air (TRUE) with 1.4v but not that many...
    Thats a bummer. So far about 75% of i920's are hitting 4ghz with 1.4v + some only needed 1.25-1.35v. Mine does 3.8GHZ with 1.27v

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast