Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New Koolance *Dual D-5* Bay Reservoir! (RP-450X2)

I am still on the fence on this one. With all the blocks in my system i will need 2 pumps. It really boils down to if i should do series or parallel loops sharing a res. Its a shame the DD res seems so far away.

Not a fan of the large logo either guys. I was planning on painting over it any way

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Penguin View Post
    WL, would one of these setups be better than the other in regards to reducing backflow? and is backflow guaranteed to happen when using the y adapters?
    D_P, I'd say the first one, but only if the 2 tubes that return to the res are as long as possible and the outlet tubes are as short as possible. That should lower the amount of restriction enough to limit or eliminate the back flow. Another significant factor is obviously going to be what's actually in the loop, if you're still using...say a K350 or original Supreme, I don't think anything (except check valves) is going to prevent back flow.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Btw I keep seeing how people want 2 pumps in serial in case one pump fails. Won't the CPU and GPU (programed through control panel) turn off once it hits a certain temp?

At least I did find the articles you all eluded to before about the small difference in temps with 2 loops . For anyone else looking:
    Dual Loop versus Single, the facts
    Actual Influence of Flow rate
    Last edited by Tyranie909; 10-09-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranie909 View Post
    Btw I keep seeing how people want 2 pumps in serial in case one pump fails. Won't the CPU and GPU (programed through control panel) turn off once it hits a certain temp?
    Yes - if you've setup your bios to shut the machine down on CPU fan failure and the tach lead is plugged into the cpu fan header. This assumes that you've done that and that your bios does what you expect. I think most people around here are looking for a belt and suspenders approach to plumber's crack, err, pump failure
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Quote Originally Posted by Koolance View Post
    Heh, I was thinking of the same splitter setup that Waterlogged illustrated
    Just a show of hands: how many people are currently (or would prefer to) run D-5's in series? We designed the RP-450X2 exclusively for multiple loops. If that's not a significantly more popular use of dual D-5's, I think we could consider another product altogether.

If series is desired for redundancy, how many people have actually had a D-5 die? Our own RMA list is extremely short.

Tim
    The splitter Waterlogged illustrated is great for ultra high flow with zero restriction. But once there is restriction it falls on it's face. Basically really expensive, zero gain. You could have five pumps in parallel, and still would have the same flow rates thru the waterblocks. I personally think that the reason most people keep asking about running the blocks in a serial setup, is the higher flow rates that are offered, not so much redundancy. But as a side benefit you do get redundancy in a serial loop, which is nice . It's mostly about a way to bust the restriction in multiple block setups. Skinneee has a multi pump top test (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=257721) just for that reason. Just my opinion
    Last edited by Russ750; 10-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    LianLi X1000 | Ocz Z1000 | Gigabyte UD7 with Ek Cooler | Intel Xeon W3530 @ 4.6 | Asus Ati5870 with heatkiller | G.skill Trident 6Gb DDR3 2000 | OCZ Revo 120 Boot | 3x Western Digital 2TB RE4-Gp In raid 5 | 2x Fesser 240 | 1x Hwlabs 280 | 3x DDC 3.25 with EK V2 tops in series | Koolance 360 or Heatkiller 3.O Nickle whichever i feel like | 6x Gentle Typhoon Ap-15 x 120mm| Three Lian Li 140 mm fans | And a partridge: in a pear tree

Xtreme Guru
    For me pump redundancy is always foremost to head pressure/flow gains in multipump loops, or let's say later one is nice free bonus to me. It's simple to get at nearby store replacement fan for aircooler, but at least here in Latvia i have to wait much longer for eg. replacement pump ordered abroad to arrive, and i don't want to live without box for half a month.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not really fan of the big Kolance branding across the face of it either (I'm not a fan on branding really, unless it is subtle). I'm going to try to remove it with acetone, since that part is most likely pant. And the metal, being aluminum, is probably anodized so it shouldn't hurt the black.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Guru
    Hot hot hot hot!!!!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Spacing of ports

Just a heads up -- I installed a RP-450X2 this weekend, and the in & out ports are spaced fairly closely together. I was not able to install bitspower 1/2"ID 3/4"OD compression fittings next to each other -- the center point for the holes would need to be about 1mm further apart. I used a couple of Enzotech BMFL-G14 to offset one side of each port pair in order to use the bitspower compression fitting. I didn't have any other compression fittings on hand to try.

Overall, the unit works well and is built like a tank. I used this to replace (2) XSPC D5 bay reservoirs in a dual loop setup. The pump dedicated to the CPU loop is feeding (2) SR1-360 rads, while the pump dedicated to the GPU loop is feeding (1) SR1-360 rad. CPU temperatures during folding dropped about 5C, likely due to the (previously) completely separate GPU SR1-360 radiator being added into the mix. I'll try to post photos and other impressions later.

Xtreme Guru
    Eek, not again. First there were full nickel/copper versions of EK HF with too close inlets and replacement tops/next revision fixing that, then AC Kryo with XT new version to fix that .. and here yet again this issue.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And with the rev. 1 of swiftech mcp-35x direct attach res same issue plus the cutaway section where the holes were was.to small but gabe fixed all that in the next production run. They only test with there own products. Then revise as needed/demand for.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Never go full retard
    I have a production sample of the RP-450X2 but haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet. I'll try to snap photos and do a compression fitting test this evening once I get home from work.

photos

Attached photos of my unit, starting with the photo with the enzotech fittings installed as offsets due to the port fittings being too close together to accomodate the bitspower compression fittings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fitting.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	108430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	108431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angle.jpg 
Views:	1235 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	108432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ports.jpg 
Views:	1222 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	108433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	1218 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	108434  

Xtreme Member
    Nice close up pictures! How long did it take to bleed thru your system?

Bleeding

Thanks!

I ran pump 2 (gpu loop) first since those ports are near the bottom of the res. It took about 5 minutes to fill the GPU loop with water. Then I turned on pump 1 (cpu+chipset loop) and that took another 5 minutes to fill. The noisy air pockets were out within about an hour.

I left the pumps running over-night (leak testing with separate power supply), and the system was ready to be topped off in the morning (level dropping about 1cm) with no leaks and no audible or visible pockets of air anywhere in the system.

I run both D5 variable speed pumps at setting 2. I compared this to setting 5 in several different configurations in the past, and never noticed any material difference in temperatures under load.

Somebody mentioned removing the white logo+model text. I prefer this to be gone as well. Please post whether you are able to do that cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by mingbogo View Post
    Nice close up pictures! How long did it take to bleed thru your system?

Never go full retard
    Koolance 1/2" x 3/4" Compressions fit, but as sfield pointed out BP 1/2" x 3/4" compressions do not.

I am Xtreme
    If I were a manufacturer (like Koolance or EK), I wouldn't worry about making my parts to fit the competitors fittings either, especially if I had my own line(s) of fittings.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Never go full retard
    I have mixed feelings on the topic...

I would like (maybe dream or hope is a better term) all LC parts to fit together like Lego's and be cross compatible, but I see it from the manufacturer side where they only need to ensure their own product lines are compatible. Looking at other industries, competing manufacturers do not spend Engineering dollars to ensure cross compatibility.

Xtreme Guru
    They have to weight extra income from selling batches of their offerings to lost oportunities for multi vendor component builds. Each has found his own answer on this issue probably.
    Eg. even though i might consider buying just 4 CF's of koolance's for such res, i won't, as i'm aiming for all black build (using BP's black matte finish CFs) and Koolance doesn't sell black fittings like BP/Enzotech/EK.

Xtreme Addict
    This is horrible.

Premochill plastered their branding right across the front of the T3 which turned out to be an epic fail.

Should Koolance have waited to see if it cut the cloth before doing the same only time will tell but given this new res doesn't accommodate Bitspower fittings doesn't lay too good with me for starters.

Guys, a brand name comes with time and experience which is tried and tested and WORKS like the Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari moniker so please let your products at least stand the rigors of at least a few veterans before it warrants the branding .

My menial advice would be to put a focus group together so these issues can be ironed out long before.

Can't wait till mine land
    Last edited by coolmiester; 10-12-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    coolmiester: It's not as bad. Afterall, it's only the very biggest of BP CFs, that don't fit. I see most builds these days using some 3/8"ID or 7/16"ID tubing instead of fat sausages of 1/2"ID&3/4"OD, possibly because of Cathar's tests debunking myth of flow increases with that big tubing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    coolmiester: It's not as bad. Afterall, it's only the very biggest of BP CFs, that don't fit. I see most builds these days using some 3/8"ID or 7/16"ID tubing instead of fat sausages of 1/2"ID&3/4"OD, possibly because of Cathar's tests debunking myth of flow increases with that big tubing.
    I got you churchy but you think that flaw could have been eradicated if a few more people were involved??

I know you were a massive supporter of the T3 so responsible for a lot of folk wasting their money on the back of your recomendadion so thought you would have been behind a bit of trial and testing

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmiester View Post
    I got you churchy but you think that flaw could have been eradicated if a few more people were involved??

I know you were a massive supporter of the T3 so responsible for a lot of folk wasting their money on the back of your recomendadion so thought you would have been behind a bit of trial and testing
    I'm fairly certain the Koolance res won't break like the fragile T3...
    This one's made out of one piece, so unless you hammer away on it or drop it I'm 100% sure it won't crack.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmiester View Post
    Didn't you have 2 T3's in a sponsored build? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=115

I had a couple of my friends buy a couple T3's just because of that build (they had the same case) despite the flaws you mentioned afterwards. I do remember many people advocating it but when the crap hit the fan many people were pointing fingers everywhere. Stuff like this happens! Let's move on.
    Last edited by Sadasius; 10-12-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've always used BP's 45' rotating adapters to make tightly spaced ports work with compression fittings. Water cooling sometimes doesn't work the way you expect and you need to improvise, that's the nature of the beast.
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast