Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD: the world's first 12-core processor has begun shipping

Xtreme Addict

AMD: the world's first 12-core processor has begun shipping

AMD said today that the world's first 12-core processor, code-named Magny-Cours (Magny-Cours)'s new Opteron server chips, has begun shipping and get an income.

AMD公司发言人PhilHughes说:从将近三十天前开始我们就在积极向客户提供相当于零售产品 的 (十二核心处理器)样品了。 AMD spokesman PhilHughes said: from nearly 30 days before the start, we actively provide the equivalent of retail products to customers (and 12-core processor) samples of the. 事实上我们已经出货了数量有限的新产品,以便让客户为本季度晚些时候的如期正式发布做好准备。 In fact, we have shipped a limited number of new products, so customer-oriented as scheduled later this quarter, an official release ready.

http://img1.gtimg.com/digi/pics/28923/28923647.jpg

http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

[MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

looks like a dream for hyperV or vmware, this would give u a whole numa node on 1 board
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, we are shipping for revenue (to OEMs). And if you run virtualization you will LOVE this processor. 12 cores, 4 memory channels.

I was in the lab yesterday and asked our power guy if it was really in the same power and thermals as Istanbul (6 core). He not only verified that, but also said that it idles lower. Of course, 12-core workloads are generally well threaded, so you won't probably see these at idle as much, but good to know if they do,having 2x the cores doesn't boost power consumption.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

I am Xtreme
    Too bad it's server only. Dual socket solutions are just too pricy for ordinary consumers like users of XS.
    These gotta compete really well on the server market, though. Intel doesn't have similar offers yet.
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-20-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Too bad it's server only. Dual socket solutions are just too pricy for ordinary consumers like users of XS.
    These gotta compete really well on the server market, though. Intel doesn't have similar offers yet.
    they arnt bad on the amd side for the dualF i dont know about thees since arnt they on that new rectangular socket. they wouldent be good for anything but crunching for a home user they are clocked way to low and having the ht link from die to die wouldent be so good for gaming, but it would be good for encoding.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    they arnt bad on the amd side for the dualF i dont know about thees since arnt they on that new rectangular socket. they wouldent be good for anything but crunching for a home user they are clocked way to low and having the ht link from die to die wouldent be so good for gaming, but it would be good for encoding.
    Only as good as the software itself can take advantage of its core count. There are far too many programs now that scarcely use more than 2 cores effectively. Hopefully that will soon become a problem of the past.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Supermicro will have a 1P G34 board. They were showing it last year at Supercomputing 2009. I can't comment on the price as it is not my product.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Supermicro will have a 1P G34 board. They were showing it last year at Supercomputing 2009. I can't comment on the price as it is not my product.
    I think a few guys over at WCG section will be more than happy to pick it up once it's released.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yea it's pretty exciting, hoping like hell there's a way to overclock it

xs news thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=239952
    .. which links to this article @ theregister:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...ro_sc_servers/
    pic of UP g34:

just looking at it makes me happy
    Last edited by hollo; 02-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.

I am Xtreme!
    2x Supermicro MBs

Doh im to slow
    MAIN PC: CPU: Intel Core 7 920 D0 , MB Evga SLI MCRO X58, RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 6GB, GFX: 6970 2GB , OS HDD: Intel 40GB , Intel 160GB G2 SSD, WD SCORPIO BLUE 500GB, Case LIAN LI PC-V354 , Windows 7 Ultimate
    FILE/MEDIA Server: MB: Supermicro X8SIA-F , CPU: Intel Xeon Quad-Core - X3460, Raid card: Areca 1880i+ HP SAS Expander ,CASE: Chenbro RM 414B , OS DISK WD Scorpio Black 160gb ,RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC/Reg ,PSU: Corsair HX750W , HHD: 10x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, OS: Windows server 2008
    Server2: MB: Tyan S5217G2NR-EFI Bigby-P, CPU: Intel Dual core , 4GB RAM , Areca 1680IX-16, HDD 10x WD Black 1TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds like an impressive chip, now my questions are:
    How did AMD get ahead of Intel in the cores count? (Or why did Intel slow down?)
    How's Intel going to answer to this?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These are not designed to be overclocked, sorry. There is thermal headroom in the processors and they are the same power/thermals as our current 6-core parts, but we do not target them at enthusiasts. The BIOS will not have options that consumer parts have.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    How did AMD get ahead of Intel in the cores count? (Or why did Intel slow down?)
    Faster cores versus more cores.

6-core Gulftown and Westmere at the low-end, 8-core Beckton at the top.

its got 2 6 core dies smithed, its like the intel 1st gen dual or quad cores were they were 2 1 or 2 cores next to each other.

and amd has always been ahead in core count they made the 1st dual, quad and hex, now the 1st smithed 12

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Intel is focused on hyperthreading to get to that core count. But hyperthreading is never a good replacement for real cores.

They'll get there in core count, but I haven't heard them explain in public that they will get there ahead of us. Sandybridge is their next architecture, but we will be at 16 cores by then, pretty sure they will still be in the single digits.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Depends what you want. 12 stupid fast threads that equal roughly ~9 cores(I count HT as 1/2 core per thread) or 12 medium speed cores. About damn time this CPU hit the market, now we just need consumer 6 core CPUs at a decent speed.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Depends what you want. 12 stupid fast threads that equal roughly ~9 cores(I count HT as 1/2 core per thread) or 12 medium speed cores. About damn time this CPU hit the market, now we just need consumer 6 core CPUs at a decent speed.
    ide rather take a quad or a tri with an grotesque amount of cashe

Intel made the first 6-core. It just sucked was all. And no, it's NOT like Intel's first multi-core chips. The way the dies talk to each other is worlds apart.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input guys.

its got 2 6 core dies smithed, its like the intel 1st gen dual or quad cores were they were 2 1 or 2 cores next to each other.

and amd has always been ahead in core count they made the 1st dual, quad and hex, now the 1st smithed 12
    Yes I know it's 2 hexas "glued", but afterall it's 12 real cores in a socket.
    You might want to recheck what I bolded, Intel were first on quad and hexa cores, that's why I was a bit surprised to see AMD going "ahead".

intel has no non es hex and they had smithed duals not quads until the i7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah, you meant "real" quad... ok.
    That's up to interpretation, to me what it counts is cores per socket, and of course the performance has to be there.
    And even AMD itself accepted that it was a mistake not to release a "glued" quad. Look how much they lagged, and also... the TLB bug on first Phenoms.

actually, intel had the first quad core with it's kentsfield. AMD's barcelona came out 1 year later as the self-claimed first ''native'' quad core. But seeing how it got slapped silly clock for clock by intel's kentsfield, native doesn't hold any meaning if the performance doesn't live up to it.

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, we are shipping for revenue (to OEMs). And if you run virtualization you will LOVE this processor. 12 cores, 4 memory channels.

I was in the lab yesterday and asked our power guy if it was really in the same power and thermals as Istanbul (6 core). He not only verified that, but also said that it idles lower. Of course, 12-core workloads are generally well threaded, so you won't probably see these at idle as much, but good to know if they do,having 2x the cores doesn't boost power consumption.
    Just my personal opinion JF-AMD, but if you're buying one of these processors, you're not worrying about idle load!

Great to see AMD delivering.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme CCIE
    Do want.

It is nice to see an AMD product out there that really makes me drool. Now if only I were able to get my mits on some...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    amd pr0n.....(writes a note to discuss this with therapist)

lol "is that your FPU unit, or are you just happy to see me?"
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast