Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuemmel View Post
    You are missing some things here, it's not just about HT, etc. The problem is that AMD didn't optimize the execution units on Phenom / Phenom II as good as Intel did on Core 2 / i7.

The execution units of the Intel CPU's are much more flexibel and therefore depending on the application can excecute more instructions compared to AMD at the same time. In my on fractal assembler code I see that even Core 2 is about 30 to 40 percent faster at the same clock speed than a Phenom, when it comes to FPU or SSE2 performance.

If you wanna know more detail, take a weekend off ;-) and fight your way through the Agner Fog's nice guides:
    http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf
    Interesting, I look forward to seeing some head to head comparos between Deneb and Ci7; it'll be a shame if 4Ghz Deneb = 3.6Ghz Ci7. If so, AMD is will be 18 months late to the market, again.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    Interesting, I look forward to seeing some head to head comparos between Deneb and Ci7; it'll be a shame if 4Ghz Deneb = 3.6Ghz Ci7. If so, AMD is will be 18 months late to the market, again.
    it will prolly be like that because of the extra 4 threads on i7
    Last edited by stangracin2; 11-22-2008 at 09:46 AM.
    amd 720
    M4A78T-E
    i gig of crap
    visionek 4850
    seagate 320 GB 7200.10
    WD 640 GB
    swiftech MCR320 swiftech MCP355
    Apogee GTZ
    XPSC Restop

Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    I can say one thing I learned out of all this, I am not buying any Intel SSDs thats for sure...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin2 View Post
    it will prolly be like that because of the extra 4 threads on i7
    ...which do not usually help that much under heavy load. HT is not the main concern, IPC is.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Guys, if you concidere yourself a Blue team member , please let's the green team guys have their fun, it is nice to see them reviving a little, give them some space.
    Instead, get back to work, and break the 7Ghz on Core i7
    Let s squeeze the best of both platform.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Core i7

Darth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaJy7LH5js
    Please Stop dividing enthusiast into BLUE or GREEN team members or communitys.

Enthusiast picks hardware that does best for him.Not depending on any blue or green team.

And all of that with Olympic spirit in mind

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cool Let's do the same setting with Core i7.

I usually do not organize what I call "freak of nature" demo, what I mean by this is that I am always very careful to use statistically representative parts to avoid misleading anybody.

This time, I got a Saturday FedEx delivery ...

This is from my Buddies Milke M and Mike H (thanks for going the extra miles), this is a freak of statistic, this part is not in the middle distribution of the curve, it actually leak some serious current ... but it does OC, really, like hell.
    6Ghz, i know i can do it already, let s see what is the next Digit , and to make sure everything is fair, I ll be joining a master of OC, he knows better than I do about LN2

I am just going to be doing the same as our green buddies, dissable the thermal control, and let s see

I ll drop the result here before thanks giving week end!
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    *bam* there goes the thread to hell.
    Ah Yes I forgot to add you to the list you are another kill joy as well
    Thanks for keeping me on track
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuemmel View Post
    You are missing some things here, it's not just about HT, etc. The problem is that AMD didn't optimize the execution units on Phenom / Phenom II as good as Intel did on Core 2 / i7.

The execution units of the Intel CPU's are much more flexibel and therefore depending on the application can excecute more instructions compared to AMD at the same time. In my on fractal assembler code I see that even Core 2 is about 30 to 40 percent faster at the same clock speed than a Phenom, when it comes to FPU or SSE2 performance.

If you wanna know more detail, take a weekend off ;-) and fight your way through the Agner Fog's nice guides:
    http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf
    you have a point there the execution unit is tweaked. I remember reading somewhere that it's basily makes use of both cores from a single thread.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that it's basily makes use of both cores from a single thread.
    pfff...What?!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    I usually do not organize what I call "freak of nature" demo, what I mean by this is that I am always very careful to use statistically representative parts to avoid misleading anybody.

This is from my Buddies Milke M and Mike H (thanks for going the extra miles), this is a freak of statistic, this part is not in the middle distribution of the curve, it actually leak some serious current ... but it does OC, really, like hell.
    6Ghz, i know i can do it already, let s see what is the next Digit , and to make sure everything is fair, I ll be joining a master of OC, he knows better than I do about LN2

I am just going to be doing the same as our green buddies, dissable the thermal control, and let s see

Yum Yum! I need that and an LN2 Pot. Heck if the thing gets any higher than 6.5! LOL Heck 6 rocks. Go for 7GHz. If it passes 7, then the board will probably need to be submerged. LOL

Banned

Make sure the oc master is a member of this community or it won't do you much good

Why don't you fly to vegas and ask FUGGER himself to bench it with you on ln2. And make sure to videotape it

I want vid's or it didn't happen

I am Xtreme
    Good, I'll be one of the many waiting for your post. But, please make sure you and Charles are not the only ones to back you up when you claim 6Ghz or even 7GHz. Our green buddies showed off in front of a crowd of press, all being witness of the overclock. I reckon a cpu-z validation or quick benchmark (try breaking the 32M world record if you're there) should do just fine.

Oh, everyone knows that this example is insignificant untill other people hit the same frequency, even less than AMD's results. From the moment other sources can confirm they're able to hit 5, 5.5 or even 6GHz with a Deneb processor, you proving a 'tweaked' or 'cherry picked' processor can hit crazy frequencies will mean nothing. All that matters is what the average retail processor can do, anything else is nice to see, but completely irrelevant.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is coming from the website, whose owner told me that overclocking is not only dangerous, but outdated, and prohibited. (i'll pull up the email if anyone wants to see)
    I'm not saying it's not true, just that pcper is full of ttt, and should probably be grouped in the inq/fud category of "news" :/
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Xtreme Addict

Uh Oh! Somebody has done lost it, and needs to be committed.

OC'ing is prohibited!

Xtreme Addict

No, go away. I'm not interested in shills and OC'ing with a part at the other end of the gaussian. Watching an intel employee come in here and astroturf is amusing, but the charade should end now, especially this appears to be a one sided contest with no AMD representative present.

Yes, I bet that leaky (I'll throw a term that I'm not really sure about, but it's quoted) chip will probably OC to over 6 or mid 6 or 7 and we'll all be oh gasp intel is better ha ha that's obvious let's all go buy core i7 and pay for this guy's deluxe subway lunch.

Besides, all we have is your word that this is a bad chip, and as I read more and more of you I'm less inclined to believe it. You should also back up your claim with data showing how exactly this chip is bad.

Furthermore, your claim of 'freak of nature' demo (implying, I guess, AMD cherry picked its chips?) is backed up by no evidence. Nor is anyone's claims of just taking random chips. Your word is as worthless as anybody else's.

Anyways, my point is, go away.

But I'll acknowledge your attempt at diverting attention to be successful. But that's not something I didn't expect from you.
    Last edited by cegras; 11-22-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmasterMax View Post
    This is coming from the website, whose owner told me that overclocking is not only dangerous, but outdated, and prohibited. (i'll pull up the email if anyone wants to see)
    I'm not saying it's not true, just that pcper is full of ttt, and should probably be grouped in the inq/fud category of "news" :/
    The statement has been backed up by various other websites, who were also attending the AMD event in Austin, Texas.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin_The_Martian View Post
    Make sure the oc master is a member of this community or it won't do you much good

Why don't you fly to vegas and ask FUGGER himself to bench it with you on ln2. And make sure to videotape it

I want vid's or it didn't happen
    I think you can read mind

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    No, go away. I'm not interested in shills and OC'ing with a part at the other end of the gaussian. Watching an intel employee come in here and astroturf is amusing, but the charade should end now, especially this appears to be a one sided contest with no AMD representative present.

Yes, I bet that leaky (I'll throw a term that I'm not really sure about, but it's quoted) chip will probably OC to over 6 or mid 6 or 7 and we'll all be oh gasp intel is better ha ha that's obvious let's all go buy core i7 and pay for this guy's deluxe subway lunch.

Besides, all we have is your word that this is a bad chip, and as I read more and more of you I'm less inclined to believe it. You should also back up your claim with data showing how exactly this chip is bad.

Furthermore, your claim of 'freak of nature' demo (implying, I guess, AMD cherry picked its chips?) is backed up by no evidence. Nor is anyone's claims of just taking random chips. Your word is as worthless as anybody else's.

Anyways, my point is, go away.

But I'll acknowledge your attempt at diverting attention to be successful. But that's not something I didn't expect from you.
    The forum is open for any AMD representative to comment as well

I think it's not fair to ask him to 'go away' as it's his right to be here just as much as yours?

As to the rest, as I told DrWho? ; Vids or it did not happen

I'm aware you feel like he's playing the pr man here, but don't you realise it's AMD who has initialised the whole pr parade with their demonstration? And then limiting the amount of information the people present could disclose?

It's fair game. I already unsubscribed to the fanboy thread in the amd section, but if you want to only blow AMD's trumpet, I'd advice you to go there and join sounddood.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Every body take it easy ... The Demo is coming, and the Phenoms II will be in store soon ...
    And for the demo, we will do on CAM, with and without tricks, I need the community to understand that Manufacturer demo is kind of not appropriate for OC, it is why i always let Charles and Co to do it.
    So, we will know soon.

Don't forget Instruction per clock too ;-)

Xtreme Addict
    So did I marvin, that forum has ran alot of people off. I saw one guy ask a question in there and the very next post came out of the gate starting that fanboi crap, and the thread went downhil from there. Didn;t see the guy but maybe 2 or 3 posts later and never saw him again.

DrWho? is a highly respected member here. He is highly knowledgeable, and people could learn alot from his experience. It's awesome that we get to talk to some of the people that work with this stuff directly.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
    He was the first person to ever get one I think.
    If Macci is hitting those kinds of clocks on LN2 with Dragon Evo...wonder what he would do with a F1 extreme...Sami PM me your info again, time for an upgrade
    Looks like AMD is back in the LN2 game after all this time. Pretty cool
    Nehalem kind of sucks for extreme overclocking on LN2 to be honest. The LN2 party since dothan had to end some time I guess lol.
    Don't worry, F1 EE will be used very soon, date is already set
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    DrWho? is a highly respected member here. He is highly knowledgeable, and people could learn alot from his experience. It's awesome that we get to talk to some of the people that work with this stuff directly.
    Then why is he posting all this Intel crap in an AMD thread? After reading these posts I have zero respect for the guy, just like I would for someone posting AMD crap in an Intel thread. There is a place for his posts and it isn't in this thread.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Then why is he posting all this Intel crap in an AMD thread? After reading these posts I have zero respect for the guy, just like I would for someone posting AMD crap in an Intel thread. There is a place for his posts and it isn't in this thread.
    Ok, Sorry, I am out of the thread, did not know it will bother people.

Banned
    I'm very interested in a long vid about those tricks especially, and more then that I think most people already know that a demo controlled by a manufacturer is not as reliable as having acces to random retail chips but it would still be very informative to see how it's done. I'm going to ask FUGGER to put a trojan on his hdd though and steal Francois's application which he said he'll use to unlock multies Think people won't be buying anything other then 720's from then on

T_FLIGH maybe for some it's sports, but I was expecting better even if it is the AMD section. If Francois came in and said, beh Amd suxors and you just need to buy Intel.. without using any smilies intendening he was joking, well I can sence how that could be recieved as bad. But that is not what happend, and the fanboys just seem to want to be able to repeat to eachother how great this is and how glad they are, without going into any of the things which are playing a role in the background.

Before c2d, I had sempron and later athlon64 systems ( excluding a banias lappy ). Then I bought a e6300 because it was better for it's price then anything Amd could offer me. If AMD can change that, I will buy their hardware again, I'm not capable to pay the premium for the fastest available, I buy what gives the most bang for buck. So when they react to me like 'one of those intel boys', that's enough for me to dismiss any chanche of having a fruitfull and informative discussion with them. Instead, I let them blow their trompet and just sit back thinking about how much joy they seem to have living in their own small world

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Seconded.

Banned
    Ok, Sorry, I am out of the thread, did not know it will bother people.
    This is not an AMD thread, that's the one in the AMD section.

This is a NEWS thread where people from all sides can offer their opinion and views. Stick to your guns here Francois

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast