Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1572

Thread: Nehalem-EP......BLOOMFIELD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    TweakTown - We Got Our Hands on a Core i7 "Nehalem" CPU - Pics

1) Is there any particular reason why their ES chip reads "Intel (M) ⓒ '07" and everyone else has chips that read "Intel (M) ⓒ '08"?

2) What does that number mean anyways?
    Last edited by AuDioFreaK39; 10-08-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    EVGA X58 SLI Classified E759 Limited Edition
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gulftown six-core
    Thermalright TRUE Copper w/ 2x Noctua NF-P12s (push-pull)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified [Quad-SLI]
    6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
    SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 240GB 1.0GB/s PCI-Express SSD
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional / Logitech G51 5.1 Surround
    SilverStone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Xtreme Mentor
    mmmm... Its HUGE!
    It will make for a better keychain pendant!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

trichannel vs dualchannel and SMT vs no-SMT in test here:
    http://diy.pconline.com.cn/cpu/revie...0/1438115.html

And power in Wats:
    Last edited by FlanK3r; 10-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Monster
    Now we just need a SMT enable and disable small program

+5 images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438115_3dmarkv_thumb.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	86614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438115_winrar_thumb.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	86615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438115_hl2_thumb.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	86619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438115_wic_thumb.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	86620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438115_tmpgenc_thumb.jpg 
Views:	836 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	86621  

Banned
    Very interesting indeed. I'm liking what I'm seeing but completely understand why some people will skip this gen.

Xtreme Addict
    this thing sucks donkey balls for current games. a stock qx9770 is faster than the i7, and i could make an e8500/e8400 perform better than a qx9770 in games. here's to hoping i7 Oc's easily, and x58 boards get lucid chips.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    From what I am seeing on every front, there is no reason to not flock straight to this CPU. It is a boost in everything. The only place it showed low was against a 3.2 QX and that would be erased by a simple OC to 3.2. At 2.93 in HL it still outperforms it. The gains with OC'ing this thing have already been shown. It blows away OC'd QX's in SPi at stock clocks.

I would love to see this thing actually running 3DMark. Even a video of that would be awesome to see. Without the saturated FSB and mem restrictions I bet it's as smooth as silk. I'd love to see Firefly Forest and watch that firefly fly around at warp speeds! It's gotta be a beautiful sight.

These benches above are showing gains in all areas. This is a "do it all" CPU. It can game with the best of them. It can do video encoding. It obviously excels in normal applications. It is a benchmarker's dream. The boards for this CPU are totally amazing from what I have seen from Asus. They literally have built a purpose built factory modified hotrod benching board in the Asus Rampage II Extreme. They are showing Special Memory, and many Manufacturers and people involved with them have posted about memory. We've seen amazing OC's on air. On water these things have to be amazing.

People that actually have hands on have stated they are tweaking them and are gonna deliver a really nice chip. Intel, board manufacturers, and mem manufacturers have worked closely together to really bring out a uber performance package. I can't wait until the day this thing is released. I hope we get it real soon. I am ready to buy this thing right now, and have been for a long time. I hope the wait is over soon. The "Total Package" is there! Bring it on Intel!
    Last edited by T_Flight; 10-09-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    this thing sucks donkey balls for current games. a stock qx9770 is faster than the i7, and i could make an e8500/e8400 perform better than a qx9770 in games. here's to hoping i7 Oc's easily, and x58 boards get lucid chips.

Look carefully. That's a QX3.2 and is the only one showing a gain over the i7. Push the i7 to 3.2 and the QX doesn't. Look at the QX at 2.93. It's slower.

Xtreme Member
    I agree with you T Flight - this looks awesome.

I don't game much, but when I do, I don't game at 1024x768 - so I'm not worried about a few less FPS...

I just hope the "lower" models can OC decently and aren't held back too badly by the locked multi. We've seen 4+ Ghz on air, but those had multi unlocked.

The heyday's of FSB overclocking are over I think.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think the only thing that would prevent any level of adoption is price. No one is expecting the platform to be cheap (it is enthusiast after all), but if we start seeing $400-$500 motherboards, excessive price gouging, etc. then it's going to be slow. There are definite performance advantages, but with the stock market tanking and an increasing lack of credit, even the most enthusiastic of us might give pause...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    I think the only thing that would prevent any level of adoption is price. No one is expecting the platform to be cheap (it is enthusiast after all), but if we start seeing $400-$500 motherboards, excessive price gouging, etc. then it's going to be slow. There are definite performance advantages, but with the stock market tanking and an increasing lack of credit, even the most enthusiastic of us might give pause...

Yeah, I agree with that completely. I have been putting away hobby money for my new build. I have to have a new computer and my upgrade cycle is pretty long. I don't build alot of new computers. My current system is getting into the 5-6 year old range so this has to be a complete upgrade for me. I know it's expensive.

The market is very bad. I'm glad I'm out of it, but at the same time I had to actually take retirement and lock it up offshore. I couldn't take the risk on loosing everything. I'm glad I did too. The market is not just tanking...it's crashing, and I feel like we are in for the worst depression in history and no president or congress is gonna be able to stop it. I saw it coming two years ago. The Pelosi led congress has literally been breaking federal laws that have been on the books since the great depression to prevent exactly what is happening right now, and they are hell bent on continuing these practices for nothing more than political short term gain, and they are so completely inept they really have no clue on just how bad it's going to get.

I've heard people actually discuss stockpiling ammo in case a war would break out here on our own soil. Seriously! I actually read that and the longer the thread went on, the more people came into it and belived that could be a possibility. People are mad enough right now to take this country back by force. They've done it before. I almost dread the day of Nov 4th. On the 5th if we don't have somebody in there with common sense it's gonna be all of us that pay the price for it, becasue we'll be the ones who will have to rebuild from the ground up again. There will be nothing left of the Country we once had. You can't get any worse than that. There are no Mesiah's or god's that will be able to make magic happen, and the sky is not gonna open up and all of us magically wake up and everything ends up being a Uptopia. It doesn't work that way.

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    Very interesting indeed. I'm liking what I'm seeing but completely understand why some people will skip this gen.
    Yes. We have some good and bad things about this new hardware given this review.

Pros:

50% encoding and decoding which means will reduce time waiting.
    05 to 10% gaming, a step ahead for Intel and its future 32nm.
    8 Threads meaning you can open many programs at once, listen to music leave 50 firefox windows opened, or play games while listening to music, leave the game running without being playing it, this all + reading books while doing other 100 things.
    Programs will start a second if not 0.5 faster (responsiveness) like AMD systems.

Cons:

First the cost does not justify the extra performance 05 to 10% for gamers as it is not required if the game runs +70 FPS, most of games uses 2 cores which means if you have more than 2 cores an internal difference will not be seen however an external will be very much appreciated by the busy people.

Not needed yet, give it 2 or 3 years to fully extend.

Triple channel does not justify its price ratio performance, mediocre I would say. We are better off to buy a 2 x 2GB DDR3 Dual channel than 3 x 1GB DDR3 Triple channel.

Why does the motherboard is so expensive?

Do SLI + Crossfire X + DDR3 Triple channel + Revolutionary Phase Power + 8 layer PCB justify its price?

Not for me, however I will still be an early adopter mainly because I need it to work.

The better price performance ratio still being C2 8400 + DDR2 + P45 + 4850 or 4870 and this will surely continue for another 6 months.

So What?

For I7 to be successful it needs an automatic configured program which determines if the opened application will be better with SMT on or off. Who is up for the program PM me. It could make a nice development project given the specs.

Metroid.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Yes. We have some good and bad things about this new hardware given this review.

Pros:

50% encoding and decoding which means will reduce time waiting.
    05 to 10% gaming, a step ahead for Intel and its future 32nm.
    8 Threads meaning you can open many programs at once, listen to music leave 50 firefox windows opened, or play games while listening to music, leave the game running without being playing it, this all + reading books while doing other 100 things.
    Programs will start a second if not 0.5 faster (responsiveness) like AMD systems.

Cons:

First the cost does not justify the extra performance 05 to 10% for gamers as it is not required if the game runs +70 FPS, most of games uses 2 cores which means if you have more than 2 cores an internal difference will not be seen however an external will be very much appreciated by the busy people.

Not needed yet, give it 2 or 3 years to fully extend.

Triple channel does not justify its price ratio performance, mediocre I would say. We are better off to buy a 2 x 2GB DDR3 Dual channel than 3 x 1GB DDR3 Triple channel.

Why does the motherboard is so expensive?

Do SLI + Crossfire X + DDR3 Triple channel + Revolutionary Phase Power + 8 layer PCB justify its price?

Not for me, however I will still be an early adopter mainly because I need it to work.

The better price performance ratio still being C2 8400 + DDR2 + P45 + 4850 or 4870 and this will surely continue for another 6 months.

So What?

For I7 to be successful it needs an automatic configured program which determines if the opened application will be better with SMT on or off. Who is up for the program PM me. It could make a nice development project given the specs.

Metroid.
    My specs show what I have but it doesn't show home much I parse Pics, Encode and Decode Video & Music. I've laughed at gamers who bought X6800 for 1K+ or Athlon FX-55 @ its long time price of $850 for more than what i7, 4GB of DDR3 and a X58 Sorry, I don't think many XtremeSystems folks are wasting that much money on strictly Gaming rigs. Most power users (most folks here) do much more than simply Game=P

I've at owners of Black Ops, Maximus and other overpriced & hype ladened products. But also will say whatever floats there boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    All I can say is next week I will know not think what Nehalem will do and I guarantee you it won't be at the stock 3200mhz..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    All I can say is next week I will know not think what Nehalem will do and I guarantee you it won't be at the stock 3200mhz..
    And we´re wainting for results....
    Asus P6T Dlx
    i7 920 @3600Mhz 1.12v WC
    Transcend 6GB
    Gskill Falcon 64GB

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturno View Post
    And we´re wainting for results....
    That will be a problem as I gave my word on this that I would follow the following rules on this:
    1) I could say I had it.
    2) I could not post pictures or numbers until the NDA was lifted.

I have to respect that commitment but there was nothing said about me posting a "general" impression so if you see a comment of :
    "OMG My heart just stopped and I've solved the mysteries of the Universe and proved Stephen Hawkings correct" you'll know it's probably a decent machine!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Kin Hell
    Looking at the Dual/Tripple comparisons, I dare say this will be Socket428/478/ Rambus skulduggery all over again!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AuDioFreaK39 View Post
    TweakTown - We Got Our Hands on a Core i7 "Nehalem" CPU - Pics

1) Is there any particular reason why their ES chip reads "Intel (M) ⓒ '07" and everyone else has chips that read "Intel (M) ⓒ '08"?

2) What does that number mean anyways?
    My ES 940 has (07) too ... revision B1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD systems are not more responsive than Intel systems and if they are it's not due to the IMC. The difference between AMD and Intel (core 2 duo) systems in memory latency is maybe 50ns vs 100ns, the difference is ~100ns at best. 100ns = 0,0001 (edit: add 3 more zeros then it should be correct) seconds! Intel systems are similar or faster in any other regard so it is impossible.
    Neither do programmes start 0.5-1s faster with AMD systems, if this was the case hundreds of reviews all over the net would have pointed it out. Loading times are a function of hard disk speed, I don't believe they are in any way capped by current hardware - at least as long as you're not using SSD-RAIDS.

Ask JJ if you don't believe me. I'm pretty sure of that though...

Personally I'm wondering what is going on with TMPGEnc 4.5, SMT results in 28% lower performance! How is this possible?
    Last edited by Jacky; 10-10-2008 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    AMD systems are not more responsive than Intel systems and if they are it's not due to the IMC. The difference between AMD and Intel (core 2 duo) systems in memory latency is maybe 50ns vs 100ns, the difference is ~100ns at best. 100ns = 0,0001 seconds! Intel systems are similar or faster in any other regard so it is impossible.
    Neither do programmes start 0.5-1s faster with AMD systems, if this was the case hundreds of reviews all over the net would have pointed it out. Loading times are a function of hard disk speed, I don't believe they are in any way capped by current hardware - at least as long as you're not using SSD-RAIDS.

Ask JJ if you don't believe me. I'm pretty sure of that though...
    Yes you are right,

However,

I had an AMD system Atlhon XP +2000 for about 3 years and then moved to Intel in 2004 with a Pentium 4 560 and 2006 with an E6600 the difference between these 3 systems was the program response, a game, application or whatever was always delayed by a fraction of time in Intel systems, not sure why but I have done some tests to confirm it, I'm not sure if is the IMC or anything else, but particularly this AMD system that I had, had always been more responsive than any of my Intel systems so far. I did also share some knowledge with old AMD users who moved to Intel in 2006 and most of them told me they feel that way too.

I can not really explain the reason because I do not work for AMD, however I always thought that it could be the CPU (Athlon +2000 XP, maybe designed especially for Windows XP though the marketing XP gimmick ), IMC or the chipset had to do with something. I may be wrong anyway. I will soon test Nehalem and then show my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Personally I'm wondering what is going on with TMPGEnc 4.5, SMT results in 28% lower performance! How is this possible?
    Double edged sword

It should not be lower, what about conflicts between them or not yet fully supported by the program must be considered.

Metroid.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Metroid,Athlon XP didn't have Integrated memory controller ... They were based on K7 core.K8 bring the IMC and HyperTransport,among other uarch. improvement.
    There must have been something else which made you(and others) feel that your AMD AthlonXP system was "smoother" (TM) or more responsive.

Xtreme Member
    Yes you are right,

However,

I had an AMD system Atlhon XP +2000 for about 3 years and then moved to Intel in 2004 with a Pentium 4 560 and 2006 with an E6600 the difference between these 3 systems was the program response, a game, application or whatever was always delayed by a fraction of time in Intel systems, not sure why but I have done some tests to confirm it, I'm not sure if is the IMC or anything else, but particularly this AMD system that I had, had always been more responsive than any of my Intel systems so far. I did also share some knowledge with old AMD users who moved to Intel in 2006 and most of them told me they feel that way too.

I can not really explain the reason because I do not work for AMD, however I always thought that it could be the CPU (Athlon +2000 XP, maybe designed especially for Windows XP though the marketing XP gimmick ), IMC or the chipset had to do with something. I may be wrong anyway. I will soon test Nehalem and then show my findings.

Double edged sword

It should not be lower, what about conflicts between them or not yet fully supported by the program must be considered.

Metroid.
    Um, Athlon XP didn't have an IMC. This is what I call your "imagination." This talk about AMD CPUs feel "smoother" started after Core 2 Duo's launch. These people based it on the fact that Athlon 64s and X2s had an IMC while Intel used FSB. Of course it's all bullcrud. I had an FX-55/X2 4400+ before and doesn't feel any more smoother than my PD940, E6600, Q6700.
    Last edited by Clairvoyant129; 10-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Back at Intel, overclocking starting

Well I'm back at the Intel office. It's been a year since my last visit, but I still find my ways around the office, not to mention the lab. We've been set up with some truly exquisite hardware and we've of course decided to hit it with the heaviest kind of cooling available, liquid nitrogen. As usual I can't tell you what we're overclocking or any numbers from the event. All I can say is that every piece of FUD you may have read about this particular hardware, that it is going to be hard to overclock, have memory issues or what is just that, FUD.

We're doing the most extreme kind of overclocking here and even though we can't tell you much about we're doing we can show you some pictures;

To spice things up we have arranged a competition between the nations represented. Well, to be honest, it was the Danes that wanted to have a competition, which is fine by us. We don't mind handing them their asses.

I should add though, that even though we are competing, we're all helping each other to go higher. If someone needs help, you assist. Stay tuned for more.
    Source: NordicHardware

Just though I'd share, seeing as this is XS, it would seem like something you would like to know

And we have another 400l beyond thew dewars on the pictures.

//Andreas

Xtreme Member
    i also think that my old socket A sys and socket 939 sys feels kinda faster than my intel machine. could it be cause of the higher latency on the dd2 mems? can not think of anything else that could explain it, or maybe it is placebo for expecting to much of the newer hardware?
    Last edited by Pillo-kun; 10-10-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    E6600"L630A446"? @3600@1.?v cooled by Tunic Tower sitting on Abit AB9 Quad GT played on ASUS 8800GTX opperated by a lazy slacker!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillo-kun View Post
    i also think that my old socket A sys and socket 939 sys feels kinda faster than my intel machine. could it be cause of the higher latency on the dd2 mems?
    I think it's just your imagination.

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263 LastLast