Thread: Coolant dyes

Xtreme Enthusiast

Coolant dyes

I am looking for a GOOD blue dye for my loop. It is currently running straight distilled, but I want something to throw in there and give it a nice blue shade. It doesnt have to be UV sensitive, but that would be ok (if I ever buy a UV ccfl). It has to be not too expensive, and NOT cloud the tubing or leave particles that can rape my pump.

Good luck

I recommend colored tubing instead, and sticking to your distilled water. My opinion is that you are only inviting trouble with dyes.

If you have colored tubing, why do you need dyes? Because the water in the reservoir is not blue? Is that it ? :

Seen those pics where the particles are in the pump, in the rad, in the blocks? And you'll have to open everything just to clean out the garbage, and you'll be swearing.

I've used dyes once, and only once. I had to change the tubing, open up my block and micro clean everything. It was a PITA in the first degree. No thank you.
    Last edited by IanY; 07-27-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t p1mp
    It has to be not too expensive, and NOT cloud the tubing or leave particles that can rape my pump.
    They're going to end up more expensive than colored tubing, but leaving that aside, I've had luck with Primochill ICE in a previous build. No staining, no sludge. I drained/retubed with it, pulled blocks apart, etc, and it was clean. You do have to ignore their temperature drop marketing claims though.

I'm sure someone will suggest Feser UV blue too.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The PC Pure from Primochill has been pretty nice for me so far. It doesn't appear to leave any residue that I can tell, and it works pretty well. Supposedly it's UV reactive, but I haven't found that to be the case. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or what...

The strongest coloring though does seem to come from the Feser products, like the dyes or Feser One. I don't know enough about them to recommend them yet though...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Good luck

I recommend colored tubing instead, and sticking to your distilled water. My opinion is that you are only inviting trouble with dyes.
    From someone who HAD to have uv dye. Don't do it. It will stain your tubes, rad, everything. Just go with colored tubes, you will thank me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth42o View Post
    From someone who HAD to have uv dye. Don't do it. It will stain your tubes, rad, everything. Just go with colored tubes, you will thank me.
    I was the direct reverse. Constantly bad mouthing the stuff, but I just had to try it for myself. ..

Xtreme Mentor
    Pentosin G11 has a nice blue when mixed with distilled water. $5 at Petra's.

Utnorris
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've had no problems with Feser one UV blue cooling fluid.....
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Never go full retard
    I am currently flushing my loops to get rid of all the UV Blue dye, a 1L loop has taken a gallon of distilled to get rid of the dye.

Distilled and PT_nuke for me from now on.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, colored tubing it is, but it will have to wait. Also, to whoever said I had a reservoir (I am too lazy to scroll up rofl), I have a tline, reservoirs are for noobs.

Isn't there a dye that changes colour as it heats up?

Tubing by Hypercolor. Only comes in 10mm OD.