Thread: I need motherboard recommendations

Xtreme Member

I need motherboard recommendations

I just bought an e8200 off another forum that is a known clock to 4+ ghz, however, I have a p5w dh deluxe that will only do 400x8. Can someone recommend a crossfire board with dual x16 lanes and will allow me to clock this chip to its full potential.

Thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    all X48 (and X38) mobos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I know the maximus formula and rampage formula are good boards but come at a premium price, is there something cheaper but still solid?

XS News
    I'm pretty happy with the DFI X48 LP LT that I have. Pretty stable too.
    RIP Dad. I will miss you always.

Q6600,DFI X48 T2R,280 GTX,4gig ReaperX,XiFi Prelude,LL TYR PC X-2000,Westinghouse 37,Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

I think the Asus P5Q-Deluxe is pretty good. Newegg has an open box that's priced to go. I think it's like $140 for a $220 motherboard. If you're willing to spend $200 I'd check out the P5Q series one of the higher end models. If you're wanting to go on the cheap, the Biostar I45 is an insane clocker, but I'm having some issues out of mine currently.
    Sheep Go To Heaven
    Goats Go To Hell

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo906 View Post
    I think the Asus P5Q-Deluxe is pretty good. Newegg has an open box that's priced to go. I think it's like $140 for a $220 motherboard. If you're willing to spend $200 I'd check out the P5Q series one of the higher end models. If you're wanting to go on the cheap, the Biostar I45 is an insane clocker, but I'm having some issues out of mine currently.
    OP is looking for a board that has 2 x 16 lanes in CF, and P45 chipset features only 2 x 8. OK this said, I read in an AMD interview from yesterday that 2 x 8 is OK even with the fastest ATI cards with today's games that don't require more data transfer between GPUs...yeah...Crysis...

yeah like Chunky said, if you're looking for a cheaper X48, DFI is a good option.
    Last edited by Logos; 07-12-2008 at 06:54 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Logos4 View Post
    OP is looking for a board that has 2 x 16 lanes in CF, and P45 chipset features only 2 x 8. OK this said, I read in an AMD interview from yesterday that 2 x 8 is OK even with the fastest ATI cards with today's games that don't require more data transfer between GPUs...yeah...Crysis...

yeah like Chunky said, if you're looking for a cheaper X48, DFI is a good option.
    P45's 8x are pci-e 2.0 so it is equal to PCI-e 1.0's x16.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by easycheese View Post
    P45's 8x are pci-e 2.0 so it is equal to PCI-e 1.0's x16.
    so what and PCIe 2.0 16 x is still 2 x faster that's all pure theory and I admit PCIe 2.0 8x is probably enough in most cases...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    I think most of tweaktowns tests have been fairly discredited showing the massive difference between so a P45 with crossfire running at x8 isn't too shabby
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos4 View Post
    so what and PCIe 2.0 16 x is still 2 x faster that's all pure theory and I admit PCIe 2.0 8x is probably enough in most cases...
    Yea I think so too. 4870x2's though may choke on them. Should know soon enough.

Xtreme Member
    well I'll only have two 4850's so dual pci 2.0 x8 will be fine?

Xtreme Addict
    I agree on the DFI X48 suggestion, really great mobo.

Xtreme Member
    The DFI x48 t2r would still be great choice today? Would the t3r be any good?

I'm going to make the jump to Intel in the near future and wanted to know about your opinions.

Sorry for the of topic though didn't want to post a new thread asking about my choices.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiikkuja View Post
    The DFI x48 t2r would still be great choice today? Would the t3r be any good?

I'm going to make the jump to Intel in the near future and wanted to know about your opinions.

Sorry for the of topic though didn't want to post a new thread asking about my choices.
    Yes, the DFI x38/x48 boards are generally considered very good boards. However, it is stated by several people that they are not recommended for novice OCer's (not to imply that you are a novice) as the BIOS is loaded with options, many of which are not explained within the BIOS itself. That being said, I have read quite a few threads of people with limited OCing experience having good luck witht these boards. Just be forewarmed before purchasing.

If you were not aware, the difference between the T2R and the T3R is the T2R uses DDR2 memory and the T3R uses DDR3. At this time, DDR2 memory of equal speed (accounting for differences in design and latency) is cheaper than DDR3. On the other hand, DDR3 is certainly the future of desktop memory for the next couple of years. There really isn't too much advantage of one over the other, the choice will have to be yours.

Here are some direct links to DFI MB threads here at XS:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=166338
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=180452
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=171667
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=178811

HTH

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsdv10 View Post
    Yes, the DFI x38/x48 boards are generally considered very good boards. However, it is stated by several people that they are not recommended for novice OCer's (not to imply that you are a novice) as the BIOS is loaded with options, many of which are not explained within the BIOS itself. That being said, I have read quite a few threads of people with limited OCing experience having good luck witht these boards. Just be forewarmed before purchasing.

If you were not aware, the difference between the T2R and the T3R is the T2R uses DDR2 memory and the T3R uses DDR3. At this time, DDR2 memory of equal speed (accounting for differences in design and latency) is cheaper than DDR3. On the other hand, DDR3 is certainly the future of desktop memory for the next couple of years. There really isn't too much advantage of one over the other, the choice will have to be yours.

Here are some direct links to DFI MB threads here at XS:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=166338
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=180452
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=171667
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=178811

HTH
    I did know the difference between the 2. Just wanted some opinions about would it be wise to move on to ddr3 when the Nehalem is around the corner and such.

I really have to read some stickys about Intel overclocking but i'm no stranger to DFI boards as I have one right now. The DFI BIOS is a/from world of it's own.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiikkuja View Post
    I did know the difference between the 2. Just wanted some opinions about would it be wise to move on to ddr3 when the Nehalem is around the corner and such.
    I figured as much, but you don't know for sure until you ask. Nehalem will have a different socket and the high end CPUs will have an on die memory controller. Therefore, to me it isn't clear that the DRR3 you would purchase today would be the best choice for whatever new MB you would need to get to run Nehalem. Not to mention the fact about price. By the time Nehalem launches, DDR3 prices should continue to drop and speed continue to increase. To build something right now, DDR2 would be my choice. Regardless, as noted above, Nehalem will require a new MB. Unless you really have to upgrade right now, maybe it would be worth it to wait for the new chips to arrive. Just a thought...

Xtreme Member
    I think I'm just going to go with a rampage with my next paycheck from work. I already lined up a buyer for my p5w and some ocz ram, that should help offset the cost. I hope I can hit 4ghz with ease. The chip is a known clocker that hit 4ghz with under 1.4.