Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: K10 Scores starting to surface

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    So basically you're telling me that a 2ghz Barcelona would have the same L3 cache latency (any cache latency for that fact) as a 3ghz Barcelona? Thanks for helping out with this stuff, it's interesting.
    I would say opposite, but this is only my opinion....
    For me it will be like doing SuperPi with DDR2 667 4-4-4 and DDR2 800 4-4-4 on same CPU.
    With faster K10 cores you will get differently clocked northbridge which clocks cache L3. It also will be possible to change cache frequency...

Don't take it as a certain, this is just speculation .
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Cruncher

Sice due to heavy trolling and OT by Donnie27 and others in news "30K" thread ...

....people didn't get the chance to notice my post there,i will repost it here :
    AMD Phenom X4 can do 3GHz and above

By normal air cool, the AMD Phenom X4 can go beyond the 3GHz mark by overclocking. Although this can be done, there are some stability issues at such high speed.

Currently, there aren't any options to turn off one or two of the cores. Running it in single channel memory helps to stabilise it.
    http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showth...200#post420200

Bluetooth is one of those guys who is credible and who got the one of the 1st GA RD790 mobos to test.So this is very good news coming from them!

Note he says air cooling is used and it's a X4 ,so all of the cores must work at the same clock since something is wrong(bios?) and they can't use separate PLLs to clock the cores individually.

Xtreme Mentor
    That's very good news....
    With platform stability they have a bit of time to work out issues so I'm looking ahead to Phenom launch .
    Bear in mind all this is on pre-production silicon

BTW K10 is designed to hit 4GHz......
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by gbjorn View Post
    This 'image' was created by someone who was claiming that the Coolaler K10 data was faked, by producing a 'see how easy I can fake something post' on this thread:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=181755

I can't read Chinese, but likely someone referenced to this is similar discussions we are having here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah that "SPI score" of 31 is a bad fake.Best we ignore that and concentrate on the OCworkbench news.
    What could have made them unable to individually clock the separate cores in Phenom ES?Something in the ES chip itself or the bios bug?Very good news about the beta silicon,mobos and bioses hitting >3GHZ OCs with air cooling.This speaks a lot about the potential of the core and at the same time amazes me what AMD managed to do in such a short time from the first reports of clock problems(speedpath issues in the chip).They conquered the whole GHz in a couple of respins(source :dailytech).
    Still we can expect 125W spec for first retail 3Ghz version of X4(whenever they are out)

edit:

Latest info from AnandTechStaff:

Quote Originally Posted by G.Key@AT
    Throughout the entire prototype and pre-production (as stated in my last message) process, certain features on the CPU, in the BIOS, or on the chipsets have been turned off/on, latencies have changed, etc, etc. This is a normal part of the engineering process as the design is fleshed out and finalized. It does not represent final silicon capabilities and performance.

As I said earlier, I used a poor example as it was not meant to be taken literally spec for spec when comparing engines and CPUs. Regardless of the example, the point was that the platform performance improved significantly as the core speeds improved and this included performance per watt among other indicators. There is a myriad of reasons as to why this occured but considering the early silicon, BIOS, and chipset designs, we could only speculate as to why and I tried to present a few reasons that we honed in on.

If you compare a B00 chip from May to a B02 today, there is a significant difference in performance in all areas (26 seconds in SuperPI 1m for one) and my comments represent observations of what has occurred over this time period. We have final silicon now and results will be posted in the near future. My observations today are different than they were two weeks ago and as the platform matures they will change again.

Once we see the HT 3.0 capable chipsets and Phenom cores mature then we will have an even better indication of the performance of this core design in the consumer market but for now the initial release is Barcelona in the enterprise market.
    Last edited by informal; 09-03-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    26 seconds in SuperPI 1m for one

that's allot
    coming from 39secs to 13secs would be great though

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by KTE View Post
    Nice analysis going on although it's becoming very offshoot to what I stated and did. Scaling wasn't shown in the true mathematical sense, little time to do it. This was data I already had for some time now, copied it over.
    However, you did try to calculate a scaling factor and concluded on a data set that has 4 of the 14 data points fall away from the expected trend. There are two possibilities, either those points repesent something real or you made a mistake (no harm admitting a mistake). It is poor analysis to see such weird behavior and publish it as 'this is the way it is', without vetting those anomolous data points through repetition and attention to some detail and not expect to get challenged on those anomolies.

K10 comes in where people state affirmatively that something they do not own nor have seen perform from a released product, cannot react in a certain way, for whatever musings. I've seen erratic jumps before in processor performance, and I'm showing one of them right here.
    But is that due to the CPU or the person using the CPU? Do take offense to this, I can show you anomolous results by the very nature you go into below, where the conditions were not fully understood by which the tests were conducted.

No typo, I clearly state it's experimental results. I predicted linear scaling, as most people would. But investigation speaks otherwise - something I cannot explain but I experience.
    This is the failure of your approach, when you do see such anomolous behavior, there is always the cause and effect. I will show you an example,
    http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9...usesp1mjv1.jpg
    54.328 seconds
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2...usesp1mcu1.jpg
    58.766 seconds

Looking at this one data point, man, what the heck.... some variability... but, wait... the difference is in the first case I started the run and left alone, in the second I started the run but moved my mouse around.... ahhhh, so is there something wrong with CPU, not reproducible or was there something wrong with the way I ran the bench?.... hmmmmmm.

Conditions are exactly the same for all but >3500 (unstable), in fact I'm sure they were ran one after another on the same day, with minimum services/processes running in the background. One thing I clearly stated I didn't and couldn't do, is keep the memory asynchronous. RAM timings/divider is kept the same. But the rest I'll show it you and I've repeated it time and time again from around 4 months back. All of the data stands final.
    This fine, it stand final but still flawed.

Thanks for the screen shots, so my guess that you typo'ed was incorrect, no big deal ... it was one plausible explanation for the outlier data, so now we should look for other explanations, perhaps more experiments.

3500MHz is quickest = after that, there's hardly any change if the processor runs it (memory bottleneck). If I had similar memory and system now, I'd repeat them now again just to refresh, but I don't and I didn't know this was coming to prepare but just did it for my own personal investigating back then.
    You need to be careful making this conclusion because your data set is inconsistent to begin with....

BTW, science doesn't equal "we expect this and this all that can be true." Broken logic is to expect linear scaling and when something other occurs you start the conspiracies. Science broadens your horizons to accept observational finding, like the new colossal area devoid of matter found in space, even devoid of dark energy, which was NEVER predicted nor expected at those sizes and changes acceptance of many beliefs and idea's held by physicists beforehand.
    So you don't believe in science? Yes, science does broaden horizons, within the context of performing science correctly, here you did not.

Scientific experiment = controlled conditions + variable factor + Hypothesize+ experiment + observation + repetition + results + revise + repeat + conclude
    You missed quite abit.... you failed to revise your hypothesis or repeat your experiment, I would really like to see you repeat this data set again, but I don't expect you to expend the time, I will do it myself, I have a Prescott I will rebuild.

That's what you want to believe Jack, not what the evidence shows. I'm sorry but you haven't proved how my finding ties in with your belief.
    I am not trying to prove anything, I am challenging your data set where 4 of your 14 points are outside expected..... in short, you should do a better job of rationalizing the outlying data before drawing conclusions and publishing results, some may look at this and be ... meh.. ok. But there could be someone who looks at this and thinks ' man, this is counter to all the existing data, there must be something wrong' -- which is what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    So basically you're telling me that a 2ghz Barcelona would have the same L3 cache latency (any cache latency for that fact) as a 3ghz Barcelona? Thanks for helping out with this stuff, it's interesting.
    No, I'm saying it won't affect the scaling. Why is there a latency decrease when you increase frequency.

As you increase frequency, time decreases (latency). That's why there's a latency decrease and that's why I believe it will scale the same.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Best we ignore that and concentrate on the OCworkbench news.

lol Yeah lets ignore the bad and concentrate on the good lol

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoW]8(0) View Post
    No, I'm saying it won't affect the scaling. Why is there a latency decrease when you increase frequency.

As you increase frequency, time decreases (latency). That's why there's a latency decrease and that's why I believe it will scale the same.
    Clock cycle latency remains the same..... though you understand the concept I will state it anyway an example:

12 cycles of L2 latency at 2 GHz gives 6 ns latency in time.
    12 cycles of L2 latency at 3 GHz gives 4 ns latency in time.

The total time to propogate a signal through the chip has a ceiling, hence as you decrase the clock period at fixed cycle latency -- the wall will be hit and no more clocks for you

It seems a lot of people have a hard time understanding the digitial tick of a clock and the time period for that tick and how that translates into scaling.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CoW]8(0) View Post

OK, now I fully understand. Thanks!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardyMan View Post
    26 seconds in SuperPI 1m for one

that's allot
    coming from 39secs to 13secs would be great though
    For the record, a 2 GHz Conroe gets 26 seconds...

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/391...0102000mr1.jpg

Xtreme Cruncher
    No the dude said he saw 26s decrease(from whatever the score was before)..Not that it scored 26s(it could be more or less for what we know..)

Xtreme Mentor
    No the dude said he saw 26s decrease(from whatever the score was before)..Not that it scored 26s(it could be more or less for what we know..)
    Ooops...

X.I.P.
    Originally Posted by G.Key@AT
    Throughout the entire prototype and pre-production (as stated in my last message) process, certain features on the CPU, in the BIOS, or on the chipsets have been turned off/on, latencies have changed, etc, etc. This is a normal part of the engineering process as the design is fleshed out and finalized. It does not represent final silicon capabilities and performance.

As I said earlier, I used a poor example as it was not meant to be taken literally spec for spec when comparing engines and CPUs. Regardless of the example, the point was that the platform performance improved significantly as the core speeds improved and this included performance per watt among other indicators. There is a myriad of reasons as to why this occured but considering the early silicon, BIOS, and chipset designs, we could only speculate as to why and I tried to present a few reasons that we honed in on.

If you compare a B00 chip from May to a B02 today, there is a significant difference in performance in all areas (26 seconds in SuperPI 1m for one) and my comments represent observations of what has occurred over this time period. We have final silicon now and results will be posted in the near future. My observations today are different than they were two weeks ago and as the platform matures they will change again.

Once we see the HT 3.0 capable chipsets and Phenom cores mature then we will have an even better indication of the performance of this core design in the consumer market but for now the initial release is Barcelona in the enterprise market.
    Link please ?
    E8400 4400(Q814A015 Wafer **91)@1.296 Vcore
    Q6600 (L733B458)@4054 1.5 Vcore
    ASUS P5Q Unmoded - 2X2 GB Corsair Dominator 8500
    Blaster AUDIGY 2
    Sound Blaster Megaworks Speakers 2.1 250D THX / 300 WRMS
    ATI 4850 512MB @750/1150 Stock cooling
    LG W2600HP-BF 26" Wide TFT Monitor (S-IPS)
    System Cooled by ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme
    System Powered By OCZ 600W

Limits do NOT exist

Xtreme Cruncher
    But i doubt the original score of that whatever stepping(of B01 revision) was worse than revF K8 in SPi 1m.What does 2Ghz K8 with DDR2-667 cas5 get in Spi 1m?Around 42s right?If the ES was somewhat worse than that than the "better" score could very well be very good.And the dude said they saw week-to-week improvements with both new chips and new boards.So who knows what floats around there in the wild.

Link for that quote:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear
    Last edited by informal; 09-03-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The way it reads, he is stating the production chip does it in 26 Seconds.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    The way it reads, he is stating the production chip does it in 26 Seconds.
    Hmm is English your first language?(not bashing just asking )

Since you can read it for yourself one more time(pay attention to bold and blue) :
    there is a significant difference in performance in all areas (26 seconds in SuperPI 1m for one)
    I "painted" in blue the important parts to make it more clear

X.I.P.
    LOL...
    This is NOT significant difference ...
    This is HUGE difference i can say ....
    E8400 4400(Q814A015 Wafer **91)@1.296 Vcore
    Q6600 (L733B458)@4054 1.5 Vcore
    ASUS P5Q Unmoded - 2X2 GB Corsair Dominator 8500
    Blaster AUDIGY 2
    Sound Blaster Megaworks Speakers 2.1 250D THX / 300 WRMS
    ATI 4850 512MB @750/1150 Stock cooling
    LG W2600HP-BF 26" Wide TFT Monitor (S-IPS)
    System Cooled by ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme
    System Powered By OCZ 600W

Limits do NOT exist

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm is English your first language?(not bashing just asking )

Since you can read it for yourself one more time(pay attention to bold and blue) :

I "painted" in blue the important parts to make it more clear
    yes it is my first Language.

It reads that there is a difference in the two cpus, in that the newer revision runs Pi at 26 seconds, not a 26 second difference in time.

That's how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    yes it is my first Language.

It reads that there is a difference in the two cpus, in that the newer revision runs Pi at 26 seconds, not a 26 second difference in time.

That's how I read it.

Well, english is my third language, and I interpreted it as a difference in time = 26s less, also considering that they cannot disclose any benchmark numbers yet.

Anyway, it looks quite promising, I think we all need a strong AMD and a strong intel.

Banned
    PHENOM @ 3GHZ+ on AIR

Didn't I say not to worry about AMD?

This is gonna be insane

On the rise!
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
    PHENOM @ 3GHZ+ on AIR

Didn't I say not to worry about AMD?

This is gonna be insane
    Thats great Dude, but if Phenom isn't pulling the same or better bench scores then Intel is right NOW, then AMD better just pack it up and prepare for evolution.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] M411b View Post
    Thats great Dude, but if Phenom isn't pulling the same or better bench scores then Intel is right NOW, then AMD better just pack it up and prepare for evolution.
    if .... but until then amd ftw!!!! lol
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Cruncher
    I fully trust Gary Key. Long time bencher who has always been credible. Sounds like K10 will be very good chip...

Ply

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast