Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majour flow issues... help urgently needed

Majour flow issues... help urgently needed

Hi All..

i have recently taken a step towards a more decent wc solution after having a H100

so i ordered a kit from aquatunig

http://www.aquatuning.nl/product_inf...ng-S--1oe.html

Contents

. 1x Magicool Xtreme I 120 Radiator
    . 1x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1T (Swiftech MCP350) Retail
    . 1x Laing Silencer Set (Klettmatte + 60x60mm Dämmung)
    . 1x Ausgleichsbehälter Magicool Plexiac 150 extern
    . 1x Coolplex / Plexiac Befestigungsschrauben M4
    . 1x Lüfter 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 mit Stecker
    . 1x Adapter 4Pin (12V) auf 3Pin Molex (7V)
    . 3m Schlauch PUR 10,3/7,5mm Flexible
    . 1x Fertiggemisch AT-Protect-Plus 500ml
    . 6x 11/8mm (8x1,5mm) Anschraubtülle AG 1/4
    . 1x CPU Kühler Phobya CPU Waterblock S.1366
    . 1x detaillierte bebilderte Aufbau und Bedienungsanleitung

So far so good..

As a little extra for myself i also have purchased a XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator Rev 2.

My idea was to have the big rad cool my cpu, from there on there would be a loop to the smaller rad that came with the water-kit and that would cool my gpu as soon as i had the water block for it.

For now my i intend to only cool my CPU. After a little while i had the cooling installed and started up my rig.

Immediately i noticed that there was no flow. The pump worked but seemed unable to get the juices flowing.

As a result my cpu became too hot and throttled.

What is going on? Are the tubes too long? Did i pick the wrong holes to connect to my reservoir? the reservoir has 3 holes, 2 are normal bottom openings and one has a tube that runs inside the reservoir.

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Xtreme Addict
    First order would be re-routing your tubing by shortening it up.
    Also maybe move your pump directly below the res.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First, check your routing. Which hole on the pump is the reservoir tube going to? the one on the side, or the one in the middle? it should be going to the one in the middle, and the tube leading from the pump to the cpu should be the pump-side hole.

after checking pump, you're going to have to begin leading all the air that probably got trapped in your radiator to the reservoir. if you are looking at the case from the front, lay the case down on its right side. if you hear a lot of air move (when the pump is on), then you found one of your major problems; not enough water in the radiator at any given time. Remember that air will do it's damndest to end up at the top of your loop. while the case is still on its side, you'll want to unhook your reservoir from the clips that hold it to the case (don't undo the tubing). Hold the reservoir higher than everything else so the air ends up there. Top off your loop as necessary.

if that fixes it, consider listening to sirheck and shortening the tubing. not a necessity, but it could clean up the look.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

I am Xtreme
    Judging from your pic, it does indeed look as though the pump may be routed backwards, which would also make the CPU block "backwards". Try fixing those and then it should flow.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Hi All,

Thanks for the advise..

I really didn't think it would matter much how you connect the hoses to the pump since it can flow only in onde direction.

Is there anyone that can explain to me what the exact purpose is for the tube that is inside the reservoir?
    • CPU: i7 950 (4.0Ghz)
    • Mem: Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8 (1600mhz)
    • GPU: XFX HD6950 Reference Model (flashed to 6970) @900/1400
    • Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
    • Cooling:
    Aquatuning kit: http://www.aquatuning.nl/product_inf...ng-S--1oe.html
    XSPC RX360 Rad
    • PSU: PcPower & Cooling 750W
    • Cooling: 4x 120mm Fan

!!! Be Good To The People On Your Way Up The Ladder 'Cause You'll Need Them On Your Way Down !!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    probably to reduce noise caused by liquid coming in from the top if you had the line going in there instead of one of the bottom inlets. As long as your reservoir liquid level is above the bottom of the tube, the noise of moving liquid is significantly reduced. if you didn't have that tube and your 'in' tube was going through that top inlet, it would sound like someone is urinating in your computer.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hello,
    It seems your pump is not primed.

Did you power just the pump, with everything else disconnected, and using the PSU with a bridge inserted between green wire and any ground pin?

It's the basics, but just thought I should check with you.

A good way to initially prime the loop is to fill the rad, by disconnecting its tube, and filling with water - some should siphon into the waterblocks - then connect the tube, and fill the reservoir - shake it and slightly turn your case side-side to make sure there is water going into the pump....

Apologies if you have done this....just checking.
    Last edited by MrBean; 12-05-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    Hello,
    It seems your pump is not primed.

Did you power just the pump, with everything else disconnected, and using the PSU with a bridge inserted between green wire and any ground pin?

It's the basics, but just thought I should check with you.

A good way to initially prime the loop is to fill the rad, by disconnecting its tube, and filling with water - some should siphon into the waterblocks - then connect the tube, and fill the reservoir - shake it and slightly turn your case side-side to make sure there is water going into the pump....

Apologies if you have done this....just checking.
    No apologies needed.. i can't say i have done all that..

you see.. i thought i knew a thing or two about pc's and figured that setting up my first WC set-up would be a matter of logical thinking.

But now i see i have not taken everything in account.

I will try all your tips once i get home.

Also one other thing i mentioned in my initial post; my cpu became extremely hot within a matter of moments and then throttled.

The CPU block was already on when this happened. Is there that much difference between kooling the CPU with water running through the system opposite to have a air cooler? You'd think the cooling block would dissipate the heat anyways. It makes sense for the cpu to have higher temperatures when no "active"cooling is enabled but i figured this to be a rather big difference.

Could it be that the CPU block was not attached properly?
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

!!! Be Good To The People On Your Way Up The Ladder 'Cause You'll Need Them On Your Way Down !!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    It seems that:

1) water doesn't really run through your CPU block (no flow)
    2) you didn't fit the block properly. Remove it and look how the thermal compound is spread on the block's base.

And remember: when your pump is without additional top (http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...l-Edition.html) then inlet for water from reservoir is at the top and outlet (to waterblock or radiator) in on its side.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Thing is;

My reservoir does not have a top-inlet.. everything is on the bottom (depending on how you hold the reservoir, of course
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, no worries - pump is not primed then

Let us know when you get it sorted! With the very low thermal mass of the waterblock, as opposed to an air-cooler, it will reach throttling temps within maybe30-90 seconds after power-on..
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Cruncher
    No no no I was referring to your pump. Look here: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7578/35xintro.jpg
    Top barb is inlet for water FROM reservoir, the one on the side (next to Swiftech sticker) is outlet for water.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded

Ahh... i see what you guys mean..

my pump does not have a top inlet, instead it has 2 pipes next to each other. but one does clearly have a arrow that suggests the flow direction.

Thanks a lot chaps. Will get starting as soon as i get home.

Why can't it be 5 pm yet?
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You're welcome - plus, it's already after 17h00, if you live in Australia, like me

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    You're welcome - plus, it's already after 17h00, if you live in Australia, like me
    That's just cruel, man :'(

• Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggieStyle View Post
    my pump does not have a top inlet, instead it has 2 pipes next to each other.
    Actually, it does. The one more in the middle is your top inlet. Anyhow, you may want to consider getting suitable aftermarket top for your pump. You will have better performance, less noise and more options for routing tubes.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded

Quote Originally Posted by ggdh View Post
    Actually, it does. The one more in the middle is your top inlet.
    I see what you mean...

It's clear to me that my routing is the biggest cause for my systems flow issue.

Thank you guys for all your support.
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Member
    i have a question: i bought a similar reservoire (albeit a bitspower rather than magicool, but same design). in the picture it is shown with the ports at the bottom. does it matter if they are at the top or bottom? i couldn't decide how it was "supposed" to be so i was actually planning on putting it on its side.

is there a correct/incorrect way to mount the reservoire?

also: with the ports on the bottom (or top?), i would guess the inlet would be the port with the inside tube? (i can't make it out in the picture) or, again, does it matter?
    Last edited by bds71; 12-05-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bds71 View Post
    i have a question: i bought a similar reservoire (albeit a bitspower rather than magicool, but same design). in the picture it is shown with the ports at the bottom. does it matter if they are at the top or bottom? i couldn't decide how it was "supposed" to be so i was actually planning on putting it on its side.

is there a correct/incorrect way to mount the reservoire?

also: with the ports on the bottom (or top?), i would guess the inlet would be the port with the inside tube? (i can't make it out in the picture) or, again, does it matter?
    Ports at the bottom makes bleeding the loop much easier.

Ports at the top, the "inside" tube is best used on the res-outlet, so the pump dont suck air from the top of the res. At the same time the res-inlet will "push" down air into the water, making it hard to bleed. Need to keep an close eye on the water level with a setup like this.

Putting the res on its side will also complicate bleeding the loop. So ports at the top and res on its side should generally be avoided in favor for ports at the bottom
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Wohooo.. succes

i was home for a second and switched the tubes to my pump and it started working as it should.

Now i a got a new problem.. the bottle of cooling liquid that came with the set up is nowhere near enoug..

I´m not done bleeding the air yet since i did not had a lot of time but already i have spent the whole bottle.

Is it safe to add normal water or are there other fluids i could try?
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is very strange that included bottle turned out to be too little for the system. On the other hand it's only 120mm rad. I you didn't spill it I will blame enormous length of tubing.

You can't use tap water, that for sure. Destilled or DI water is OK. Look and the composition of your coolant: if main ingredient is miscible with water I would say: dilute it. Remember that the color will not be as intense as straight from the bottle.

Before diluting wait for other advices/opinions - i may be wrong (even though I use DI water + CuSO4 x 5H2O since 2008)
    Last edited by ggdh; 12-05-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded

This is very strange that included bottle turned out to be to little for the system. On the other hand it's only 120mm rad. I you didn't spill it I will blame enormous length of tubing.
    lol.. probably right but i don´t really mind the long tubes.. kinda like it

Anyways.. is it safe to use something else besides cooling liquid?
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is very strange that included bottle turned out to be too little for the system. On the other hand it's only 120mm rad. I you didn't spill it I will blame enormous length of tubing.

You can't use tap water, that for sure. Destilled or DI water is OK. Look and the composition of your coolant: if main ingredient is miscible with water I would say: dilute it. Remember that the color will not be as intense as straight from the bottle.

Before diluting wait for other advices/opinions - i may be wrong (even though I use DI water + CuSO4 x 5H2O since 2008)
    read the whole first post instead of just looking at pictures ; ). he added a 360 rad and 100 feet of tubes. ( jk on the hundid )

@OP just add water bro.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    just add water.
    Sounds like a familiar phrase

Will do tomorrow, thanks guys
    • Cooling:
    XSPC RX360 Rad

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    he added a 360 rad and 100 feet of tubes. ( jk on the hundid )
    OK, i missed that

In my case (360+240) it takes about ~1L of water to fill the system (with similar 150ml res).
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast