Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macho Mini

Xtreme Enthusiast

Macho Mini

Hello Guys,
    Pretty excited about this one, and about time I post a worklog here too. Been a member long enough

Question: How would you go fitting 8x hard-drives + a Crucial M4 SSD, a 140mm radiator, DDC pump, res, 450W PSU and Wade-8011 mini-itx into a Lian-Li PC-Q08?

Easy, I would reckon.

Check this space.

As a teaser, the following components have been acquired, and running in test-setup mode in the box, aircooled, with Server 2008 R2 installed:

Portwell Wade-8011 C206-based Mini-ITX board
    Xeon E3 1245 (3.30hz)
    2x 4GB Crucial ECC Ram
    1x Crucial M4 128GB SSD (running Server 2008 R2)

1x Lian-Li PC-Q08(black)
    Silverstone 450W SFX PSU

1x SuperMicro USAS-S8iR SAS Controller (have to check compatibility with Server 2008 R2)
    1x HP 8x SAS SFF Drive-cage ( a duplicate to the one in my Blackbird setup)
    4x 74GB SAS Drives - this will make way for 8x 146GB drives in the not-so-distant future -> if/when I can afford it...

1x DDC 3.25 Pump
    1x SR1 140mm Rad
    Ek Supreme LTX CPU Block
    Various BP fittings
    7/16" Tygon tubing

Will assemble with Watercooling components on the weekend, and post pics - won't take long on this one at all (hopefully), everthing ready to assemble one mean mofo of a Xeon-based mini-itx FileServer
    Last edited by MrBean; 01-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Everyone,
    Got lots done today, and will post pictures tomorrow. Nearly midnight here, and off to bed.

Just a teaser - system up and running on water, going very well, and full-load, around 16-17 deg C better off on the cpu vs air. Not to shabby for a single 140 with fan running at 900rpm/16db.

Got the drive-cage fitted too, psu relocated, lots of fun - but more tomorrow when I post the pics.

Fun I had today
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, as promised, quite a few progress pics of this mod.

Before we start off, a quick photo of the basic hardware under testing, I ALWAYS do this part before modding, as very often, you end up putting big effort into a specific mod, based on very specific hardware-bits, just to stumble at the last hurdle, due to a dead bit of kit.

So this setup was thoroughly tested, and, as can be expected of a system based on an industrial bit of kit, dead stable. For those that don't know Portwell, well, they're a pretty big supplier of high-quality Industrial Motherboards - one of our process-control systems are based upon them.

Here is the setup running the Wade C206 chipset-based Xeon server board - all mini-itx, with 8gb of DDR3 ECC Ram, and Crucial M4 128gb SSD:

Over the years, I have gathered a formidable arsenal of Watercooling goodies, bits of hardware from a lot of suppliers, and one of them is the well-designed (well, I thought so anyway) Apogee-Drive from Gabe at Swiftech.

This remains the only piece of hardware that I have ever been sponsored with (Thanx Swiftech!) and I decided to put it to good use. Before today, it was removed from its box only to appreciate its beauty.

Ah well, in for a surprise then, is it

Taking it apart reveals it is the venerable 10W (blue-impeller) DDC pump, very easily modded to 18W unit - I won't do that for this effort though, as it is not needed/desired, as we have only a single 140mm rad, and one CPU block.

and the other side:

and a close-up of the pcb-side - if you want to convert it to the 18W-version, simply join the wire/pad on the right with the unconnected pad far-right.

For those that read my BlackBird log, you'll remember that I fitted 2x DDC-325's to the Koolance RP401X2, and modified the original pump-housings to fit in the Koolance res -> of course, I later got the Swiftech pump-heatsink kits, and removed the original 325 housings, and kept them for later use....

One would work well here, so let's dress up that pump then, shall we:

and here:

Neither the original Apogee-Drive, nor the modded 325 housing had mounting tabs, so I had to make a plan - still had one of these left:

which was a rather nice mod for the DDC-series of pumps - I will replace this in due course with the Swiftech unit, but needed to get all hardware installed to make sure I have room for all my ideas.

and

Decided to get crafty with a hacksaw and file, and fabbed some mounting-tabs, which I bolted to the heatsink:

working rather well as a make-shift mounting-mechanism:

this would be married to the EK-140 DDC top with integrated reservoir.....

and here:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Next was the Gelid Wings fan, replacing the original front intake fan, and mounting the rad the the (well-designed, on purpose Lian-Li?) front bracket.

This must be by far the easiest and quickest fitment of a rad I had ever done. Painless.

and here, all nicely fitted together:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mounting the rad in its place, and playing with the pump/res, to see which orientation would suit best, and checking clearance with the original 5.25" bracket above, as this has toi be retained, as you'll see later:

and the pump at the back, against the motherboard tray:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, time to get nekkid, as I have to fit the HP SAS-cage in somewhere:

Did a lot of thinking on this one, many ideas where I would finally mount the cage, and, as one of my very early requirements were to keep this mod relatively simple, with the minimum fuss/cutting involved, I decided it should go where the PSU would normally go - amazingly, the opening is just about perfect to mount the cage in - I will need to fab a bezel later, but that will be pretty simplet to do.

Marking the holes for the first mounting-screws:

and test-fitting - I used 3 rivnuts on the side of the SAS-cage, in case you wondered:

looking good...

and

then, using temporary spacers, bolting the cage to the original PSU-mounting holes - had to drill 2 new holes on each mounting-tab on the SAS-cage, but that was very simple:

and here, with a total of 7 screws keeping the cage in position:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Next up, drilling holes to bolt the pump down:

again, a quick test-fit to see how everything stacks up:

Next up, fitting the SFX 450W Silverstone PSU to...yeah, you guessed it, the 5.25" bracket - with this being a file-server, I won't need an optical drive, but, I can probably fit a slotload slimline drive just for kicks, the jury's still out on that one.

The PSU should go in here:

or does it....push a bit, shove it a little, a few jiggles, and yes, 4mm clearance to the top of the rails, which means it will just squeeze in under the top:

and here:

and here:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PSU will be mounted with the fan pointing down, and this was done by simply using the Dremel to cut, and dressing with files, a new fan-intake:

and mounted in place:

and a couple more:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With the reservoir mounted against the rear wall, and the motherboard, by original design, bolted directly to the side-cover, I had to make provision for a fill-port.

Still had one BP bulkhead fitting from Project Blackbird, which will work pretty well:

and here:

of course, I had to drill the 5.25" plate too, to allow passage through it:

The end-result is rather pleasing, and will allow quick, easy filling of the reservoir:

and

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It was time to re-fit the SAS-cage backplane PCB:

and see how well the hard-drives would mount to the cage - went like a well-oiled machine:

The drives are not yet powered up, as I have to redo the waterloop - need one or 2 elbow-fittings from BP, which I will order this week - after this, I would be able to properly route the tubing, to allow fitment of the SAS Controller:

Here's routing the pump outlet to rad:

and 'semi-final' connections to the CPU, et al:

I leave you with this shot for now, as this is the config I have the system running in, doing several tests, and see how well it goes vs stock air.

I am pleased with the initial results, as we have a 16-deg drop in full-load temp over air, with the system maxing out at 58 deg C running Prime95. This is with the same ambient conditions, and about 30 deg C outside.

Very happy with the result, not done yet, but amazing just how well this system was 'designed' for quick and easy watercooling. Of course, don't forget the fact that I can now fit 9 2.5" harddrives to it

I am Xtreme
    Good job on the plumbing. That looks great.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanx Lowfat, that's just temporary though

Will clean up the routing a little during this week, awaiting 1 or 2 additional BP fittings. At least one benefit of small cases, and close proximity of components - it helps with simplifying routing of cables and tubing.

Will keep you posted.

Looks good, even though it's just temporary...it's one of the smallest loops I've seen; looks like only less than 1/2 feet of tubing actually used in that loop, and good use of (I think) extenders for nice straight lines.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanx Beriphent, appreciate your feedback.

I will elevate the pump by about 2" and then route the tubing to be horizontal as opposed to be angled. Will look even neater. I have to elevate the pump to make room for the SAS-controller - this was just a first attempt to get the watercooling 'proofed'

Will keep you posted, let's see if I can make it slightly better!

Xtreme Member
    Thats a serious NAS lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah, Furball Zen, thanx

Hopefully it will end up doing a lot more than just being a NAS!

NooB MOD
    BEANIE!!

1. You really need to pop into the local forums again.
    2. What ever became of TurboCool?
    3. This one's looking great so far
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Legend
    looking great so far mate
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Guys, thanx for the feedback

@ Dinos: Now we need one of your crazy motherboards and LN2 pipes in here

@ Oj: How's things potting in the good 'ol Republic? Will visit the Forums soon again, give my regards to everyone! Turbocool has got new clothing, it's now the Wife's system, with quad rad, 5970X2, i7 920 at 4.1, and lots of other things. Will update you one of these days, just pretty hectic Down Under.

Thanx for looking in though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A small update - to simplify things further, I have decided to order 2 items from PPCS, and hopefully it the parcel will be here before the weekend:

i) Coolgate 140mm Rad
    ii) Swiftech PMP-400 heatsink
    The PMP-400 heatsink will clean up the pump installation, as well as allow me to reposition it somewhat to further simplify tubing routing.

Then, by using the Coolgate 140mm rad, I will accomplish 2 things -> get rid of the reservoir, as it has a fill-port on the top of the rad, so it wil effectively become a reservoir too.

Secondary to this, with the additional ports on the in- and outlets, I can use one of the ports as a drain, with a BP plug at the bottom - so another small hole in the base of the case, immediately underneath the one port, and we have a neat drain-hole - to easy.
    Last edited by MrBean; 11-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Hey mate

you should swing by AtomicCON this weekend in Melbourne. Carl (SniperOZ) is putting on a show with some LN2 benching among other things. Wouldnt be a bad idea to meet up with him a bit and bench. He's a top bloke!

Dino
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Dinos, would luv to wonder over and see what the Boyz're up to.

Been so many years since I've been in the Top 10, competing against Fugger and Macci and the guys - fark, those were the days.

Game have changed so much now, with LN2 very common, but I would anyhow like to see what Carl is up to. Can you send me his contact details, otherwise I can get hold of him on OCAU.

Have a good one, talk soon!

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    Heya Guys, thanx for the feedback
    @ Oj: How's things potting in the good 'ol Republic? Will visit the Forums soon again, give my regards to everyone! Turbocool has got new clothing, it's now the Wife's system, with quad rad, 5970X2, i7 920 at 4.1, and lots of other things. Will update you one of these days, just pretty hectic Down Under.

Thanx for looking in though.
    The Republic is doing well, surprisingly TurboCool was my favourite project, I'd love to see some pictures of it. While there are many accurate and precise builds these days with things juuuuust fitting, TC was one of the first and that's what made it awesome. How can you vandalize it by taking out the old S939 system though?

By the way, Carl as in Carly/Syndicate? Carl from TSSR back in South Africa? I've got his email address for you if you'd like.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Loving Aussies doing quality builds!

Big shout out from NQ.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @ OJ: Great to hear it's going well - been 6 years since I left, not been back since, but due for holidays back home Q1/Q2 2012.

Will visit the 'home-forums' again. Haven't tought about Turbocool for so many years, but, believe it or not, I am still using that Mod's PSU, the 1.2KW Turbocool unit from PC P&C Such a fine unit, powering my Blackbird system, and not missing a beat.

@ Paulbagz: G'day Mate, how are ya? Thanx for shouting from North Queensland! Appreciate you looking.

You guys have a good one, I'm at Melbourne airport, on my way to Sydney for the next 2 days, and, hopefully, upon my return, my new Coolgate 140mm rad and PMP-400 heatsink will be waiting.

Need to finish this mod on the weekend!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast