Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about going back to barbs...

Xtreme Addict
    You guys can use your clamps and compression fittings. I really like the simplicity and looks of barbs without clamps. Call it "free balling" of the water cooling hobby, keeps it fresh and exciting.

I wouldn't recommend this to a noobie though, as it does take some experience and knowhow to do it correctly. The 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing over 1/2" Fatboys method hasn't let me down in numerous builds. It's all about your comfort level. If you use the wrong barbs or tubing this may not work, and could really turn out poorly for you. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Yes it will. Tubing relaxes and hardens over time.
    True, however there is a simple way to counter that, cut off the bit of the tubing that was over the barb before you put it back on.

Banned
    Wow, people keep their tubing past 6 months. I just toss and buy new. 6-9 USD is not too expensive twice a year.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    listen up kids, here's my secret to tightening compression fittings painlessly:

use this tool called Mastercraft Baby Boa Constrictor

It works stupidly well. I will never go back to stripping fittings again

Xtreme Cruncher
    I run 1/2" tubing over 1/2" barbs with zip ties, never had an issue. and i'm not talking any kind of fancy barbs, got plastic swifty's on the rad, the stock metal swifty's that came with my GTZ, and a cheap somethin on my res. never spent extra money on barbs. This is the third water build in about 4 years using *most* of the same equipment. the plastic swifty's on the rad have been there for ~5 years now with no issues. never had a tube pop off, only had 1 leak during testing. I run my setups for a minimum 1 year before tear down, and usually have to cut tubing to get it off my 1/2" barbs. Zip ties works just fine, but there is one step that most people forget when using them: The Pliers! you want to stretch those things to near the breaking point! you usually end up breaking one or two in the process, but you know they are tight!
    I don't understand the point in forcing small tubing over a bigger barb when there are excellent solutions that are much, much easier and just as safe. just my opinion though.
    Black Ultra Aluminus case
    Intel Q6600 @3.6ghz
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    XFX Radeon 5770
    1TB Samsung F3 (boot)
    Windows 7 Pro
    Watercooling: Swiftech GTZ, 320QP with yates, D5 and Black PrimoFlex LRT tubing

6+ years and still running strong!! Not the most Xtreme anymore, but ya gotta do what the budget says ya gotta do!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think barbs with hose clamps is the way to go for ultimate reliability. This is how most of the industrial sector does it. Although it doesn't look the most attractive.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    You guys can use your clamps and compression fittings. I really like the simplicity and looks of barbs without clamps. Call it "free balling" of the water cooling hobby, keeps it fresh and exciting.

I wouldn't recommend this to a noobie though, as it does take some experience and knowhow to do it correctly. The 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing over 1/2" Fatboys method hasn't let me down in numerous builds. It's all about your comfort level. If you use the wrong barbs or tubing this may not work, and could really turn out poorly for you. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    +1
    BA taught me how to do it, so if I can, anyone can!
    Thanks Kirk

Xtreme Member
    yeah, tightening the compression fitting is painful process at times and it doesn't feel so secure when done, so I try to avoid the "side pressure" as much as possible...Though the system looks cleaner, and, which is also a good thing,- I don't tighten the fittings too often
    i7 950@4.05Ghz HeatKiller 3.0
    EVGA E762 EK WB | 12Gb OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    Razer Tarantula |Razer Imperator | SB X-Fi PCIe
    480GTX Tri SLi EK WBs | HAF X | Corsair AX1200

with any types of compression fitting in general, you are not suppose to overtighten them so much. once i feel resistance i turn like 1/2-1 full turn more thats it. i dont think i have ever gotten a compression fitting all the way to the last thread. same for an, jic or other hydraulic fitting types. you really shouldnt have a problem with stripping threads unless you are coming in at an angle, or your threads are not clean/messed up. you def do not need a tool to do this unless you have like no upper body strength at all.

I started wc in 2004 and i wish i had compression fittings back then lol you guys are lucky. i remember getting my parts from home depot

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    I run 1/2" tubing over 1/2" barbs with zip ties, never had an issue.
    Ditto, same goes for 3/8" over 3/8" barbs too, i've run both for years with zero problem. Pliers are a must have of course, also i always put 2 zip ties opposite to each other so there is no dead spot.
    Tried the fancy compressions, they look nice, but they are not any easier to put on than regular barbs + clamps or zip ties...

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    I run 1/2" tubing over 1/2" barbs with zip ties, never had an issue.
    Ive also had alot of success with this over the past 2 years. I always use the Danger Den fat boys.
    motherboard - EVGA Classified e770 EK watercooled
    cpu - i7 950 @ 4.420GHz EK watercooled
    video - EVGA gtx 580 sli 950/1900/2300 EK watercooled
    memory - 3 x 4GB Mushkin Redline (7-8-7-20 1T)
    storage - Corsair Force 120GB ssd
    power supply - Corsair AX850 (MDPC-X sleeving)
    case - Danger Den Torutre Rack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123