Detroit Thermo
Laing D5 Pump Top

First off, I would like to thank Erik (DetroitAC) at Detroit Thermo for providing a production sample of the D5 top for testing purposes. Erik was a pleasure to work with through the testing process and even sent a final production sample for updated photos to be included in the test report. A big thank you goes out for their generosity and the opportunity to test and review his creation.

For the full review, please visit skinnee labs

The Detroit Thermo D5 Top is custom top, designed and built by DetroitAC. A thread on XtremeSystems.org was started back in early September regarding DetroitAC's creation, since that time a lot of buzz has been growing around the use of D5 tops and the Detroit Thermo top. DetroitAC is regular contributing member on XtremeSystems and has been a pleasure to deal with through the testing process here at skinnee labs.

The Detroit Thermo top fits the Laing D5, which is re-branded by Swiftech (MCP655) and Koolance (PMP450). This top is a full replacement for the stock top that we all have become used to on the D5. Aftermarket tops have become standard for the Laing DDC series, but the D5 is new territory, and I am happy to see another aftermarket top enter the ring as a viable replacement to the stock top for the extremely popular D5.

Configuration Options

Performance Test Results (compiled)

For the full test report of each D5 speed setting, you will have to visit skinnee labs. These are just the compiled results for each speed setting.

Conclusion

The Detroit Thermo top provides a nice performance boost to the stock D5 top. If you notice in the scatter plots, the Detroit Thermo top provides a slight increase in flow rate over the stock top, all while increasing the Total Dynamic Head Pressure at almost every flow rate tested, only below 0.5GPM does the stock top outperform the Detroit Thermo top. However, that amount of restriction is not a "real world" loop. Anyone with that amount in their loop should really look at adding a second loop, as the cooling performance in their loop is greatly degraded...but that is completely different topic.

Besides performance, the feature that I like most about the Detroit Thermo top is the ability to use the stock D5 mounting bracket or other compatible brackets. This feature allows for anyone with an existing D5 mounted in their case to perform an upgrade and not have to worry about drilling new mount holes into their case.

I only have one very small complaint about the Detroit Thermo top, this was even adjusted in a revision that was sent to me. When using the (UN)Designs bracket the bottom gromet becomes compressed and slips out the bottom slightly, I am almost certain that this was not accounted for in the design of the top. Like I said, a very small complaint and cannot be listed as a con since the (UN)designs bracket was not used as part of the design criteria.

Overall, the Detroit Thermo top was a pleasure to have on the test bench. The performance gains are worth the upgrade, the simple installation and ability to use the stock or (UN)designs bracket make the Detroit Thermo top an excellent product.