Thread: Dell 2407fpw released today! There's a review too!

Xtreme Addict

Arrow Dell 2407fpw released today! There's a review too!

As most of you may of known already,
    the Dell 2407fpw is a updated Dell 2405fpw with HDCP compatibility and some tech improvements.
    I'm guessing the reason for the delay was because they wanted to release the panel with the Dell XPS 700 and the Dell M2010 like they did with the Renegade + the 3007fpw.
    For the small REVIEW, scroll down to the "Links:" section below

Breef specs on the 2407fpw:

*What is in red represents what changed

Panel: Samsung S-PVA
    Size: 24" Widescreen
    Response Time: 6ms (gray to gray)
    Color Support: 16.7 Mill. (8-bit)
    Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
    Luminosity/Brightness: 500 cd/m2(typical)
    Max Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:10
    Pixel pitch: 0.270 mm
    Weight: 22.1 lbs (10.02 Kg)

Other stuff:
    - HDCP compatibility
    - new xxx7 series Bezel
    (case)
    - DVI-D, VGA, S-Video, Composite and Component inputs.
    - Integrated 9-in-1 flash card reader
    - 4x USB 2.0 ports

Price:
    ~$950 for 3-Year Warranty (atm)
    ~$980 for 4-Year Warranty (atm)
    ~$1,000 for 5-Year Warranty (atm)

Links:
    - Daily Tech:
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2635
    - PC Authority REVIEW:
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=2947
    - Dell's site: (3yr warranty version)
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=2407W3Y

Comment:
    The LCD being compared in the review is the Eizo FlexScan S2410W, which is practically THE best 24" LCD to date, but it costs a lot of money and its not HDCP compatible. Its mostly for professional use, or frikin rich people
    Considering the price and how well it performs vs the Eizo LCD, this could be THE best 24" LCD to date.

BTW, sorry guys about the LCD Guide :P Its a bit out-of-date atm.
    I've been a bit distracted with other things so I have'nt been able to dedicate some time to the guide.
    Im taking my first SAT Reasoning test on June 3rd, so hopefully afther that I'll have my head clear to dedicate myself on the LCD Guide.
    Im planning on finishing all that stuff I didnt finish and Ill add the new LCDs and Ill remove what's old. Ill probably change the organization a bit so it looks more slick

Cheers to everyone
    -Turok
    Last edited by Turok; 06-02-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    news stealing dont worry....

mmm i see this lcd in my close future
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This 2407 is really bad.
    Picture quality is
    Plus no 1080i support when using DVI... Dell needs to fix this problem fast.
    There are many complaints over the net.
    I am going back to 2405..
    My heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=41179

cpu: e6600
    mb: evga 680i
    ram: Ballistix 8000
    video: XFX 8800 GTS
    pw: 750 Quad

Xtreme Cruncher
    why do you want 1080i??? when you can have 1080p ?

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by k00lance
    This 2407 is really bad.
    Picture quality is
    Plus no 1080i support when using DVI... Dell needs to fix this problem fast.
    There are many complaints over the net.
    I am going back to 2405..
    Any proofs?
    I did a bit of searching and all I see is people complaining about the 2007fpw and ESTIMATING that the 2407fpw will have the same problem
    Although they are of the same series (xxx7fpw series) they DO NOT use the same panel.
    The LCD released today (June 1st, 06) was a few hours ago, so its not enough time for someoen to buy it, get it home, test it, and then post his complains online.

In several instances its true that the first batches of a new LCD are a bit defective, but afther some time its a excelent LCD.
    You can return defective LCDs to Dell for a new one anyway.

BTW, 1080p is a smaller resolution, and its ususally used on TVs. This is a PC monitor.
    1080p = 1920x1080 = 16:9 Aspect Ratio = Common with TVs
    WUXGA = 1920x1200 = 16:10 Aspect Ratio = Common with PC monitors.
    You can run native 1080p on a 24" LCD monitor, but with black bars on the top and bottom.
    Last edited by Turok; 06-01-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    Any proofs?
    I did a bit of searching and all I see is people complaining about the 2007fpw and ESTIMATING that the 2407fpw will have the same problem
    Although they are of the same series (xxx7fpw series) they DO NOT use the same type of panel.
    The LCD released today a few hours ago, so tis not enough time for someoen to buy it, get it home, test it, and then post his complains online.

In several instances its true that the first bathes of a new LCD are a bit defective, but afther some time its a excelent LCD.

BTW, 1080p is a smaller resolution, and its ususally used on TVs. This is a PC monitor.
    You can run native 1080p on a 24" LCD monitor, but with black bars on the top and bottom.
    1080i and 1080p are pretty differents one is interlaced (1080i its upscaled and mm lets say fake) the other progressive real 1920x1080 not upscaled there arent many lcd plasma or dlp with 1080P because supporting that resolution is expensive the dell have the ability to do it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They did 2407 best test for a while in korea.
    Many korean sites are complaing how crappy it is when connected to component cable to watch DVD's/Play games.
    I know this is a PC monitor but many people find it useful to watch TV, play games, and so on...
    Here is a direct comparison of 2405 VS 2407 done by a korean parkoz user.
    Not sure if I am allowed to post this link though
    They are complaining about pretty much everything.
    -->>PROOF<<--
    Dell is going to release a firmware soon I hope.

Any proofs?
    Although they are of the same series (xxx7fpw series) they DO NOT use the same panel.
    The LCD released today (June 1st, 06) was a few hours ago, so its not enough time for someoen to buy it, get it home, test it, and then post his complains online.

In several instances its true that the first batches of a new LCD are a bit defective, but afther some time its a excelent LCD.
    You can return defective LCDs to Dell for a new one anyway.

My heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=41179

cpu: e6600
    mb: evga 680i
    ram: Ballistix 8000
    video: XFX 8800 GTS
    pw: 750 Quad

Xtreme Member
    So long as that text shadowing horror is gone by the time I'm getting one. Waiting on someone to let me know if the A01 revision fixes it.

Xtreme Member
    I hope some 2405FPW users like the new one so much that they upgrade, and I can get a used 2405FPW cheap
    [ Intel Q6600 B3 @ 3.2GHz ][ Asus P5K DLX ][ 4Gb PC6400 ][ X1900XTX ]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by k00lance
    I had some trouble reading the translations, but seems to be true for the first batches of the 2407fpw.
    I also found another review. Its already translated, but also a bit hard to understand with the translation.
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...L_2407WFP.html

Hopefully with newer revisions these problems will disapear, putting this LCD above most 24" LCDs for a decent price.

Xtreme Member
    don't pva screens suck? Why couldn't they put an s-ips screen on it

I'd rather get this http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...er=asc&start=0

pva/mva

tn

ips

Last edited by Chris27; 06-02-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Also found this in a thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by VR_Zone member
    1. Ordered 2407WFP April 24th.
    2. Shipped April 27th.
    3. Arrived May 1st.
    4. Noticed banding May 1st.
    5. Found this forum May 12th.
    6. Called Dell Tech Support Japan May 16th.

I found out some interesting information from the English speaking support technician that I talked to.

1) Dell has a 10 day return policy in Japan.
    2) Many users have mentioned the color banding and other issues with regards to this monitor.
    3) Unfortunately they cannot upgrade me right now. I found out later that this meant that they have no Revision A01.
    4) Dell is working on Revision A01 which they hope to release in the next month or two. They hope to have the color banding issue among other things resolved with this update. He DID say that he could not promise that the issues would be resolved... only that they were working on it and had high hopes.
    5) Owners of the 2407WFP Revision A00 can exchange for the A01 for free when it launches (in Japan, at least), as per the Three Year Warranty.
    6) Exchanging the monitor for a new one (new Revision A00) would not solve my problems (duh).

The technician said that I might be able to return the monitor still as I thought the issue was on my end at first (weak videoboard) but turned out to be the monitor. I have exceeded the ten day 'cool down' period that's standard in Japan but I'm returning it because of a product flaw... not because I decided I'd rather not have it.

So I'm considering picking up a 26" Samsung HDTV for about the same price ($900-$1000). However, the promise of a Revision A01 sounded, well, promising... particularly considering a free upgrade when it arrives. Thoughts?

When there's lots of action on screen (watching TV or playing a game) I hardly notice the banding... the content takes over and the visuals become secondary. This, however, does not cover more visually stunning shots (FF XII has some great cut scenes with blue skies suffering from HEAVY banding). I don't even want to imagine what Tattooine's sunsset in "Star Wars: A New Hope" would look like on this thing....

Do I bear with it or try to return the monitor for the Samsung? Ahh, decisions!
    So, dont buy the LCD yet...
    You can exchange it latter, but its better to be patient

Xtreme Addict
    Here's a image showing their fix for color banding and smeering.
    http://simon.fearby.com/temp/ocau/reviews/2407_Test.jpg
    Someone in Malasia got a rev A01, so it seems to be in circulation already
    http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reva017ax.jpg

If a new batch is to be released, its estimated between 3 to 4 weeks, so I would wait until July just to be sure.
    Although there are rev A01 already being shipped, its still unknown if they have all their bugs fixed. The first review I posted above probably got a fixed 2407fpw, so thats why he probably didnt complain about the LCD.

As you wait for a solid confirmation, sit back and enjoy the reviews :P:

Review 2:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

Note: a lot of the stuff posted above was stuff in a thread in VR-Zone and was posted between May 26th and 27th
    Last edited by Turok; 06-02-2006 at 06:59 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    better get in august give it more time i will buy at that time at least i preffer to wait and be sure is going to be like my lcd perfect no dead pixels no color problems no backlight bleeding...

Turok, TFT central needs to pull their heads out of their butts and design a webpage that is actaully compliant with HTML standards...

Xtreme Mentor
    Ddon't they randomly test samples of these things? I mean seriously, do they not lose money on RMAs or something? How long before do you think consumers will become wary of their stuff and just not buy it?
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Mentor
    - DVI-D, S-Video, Composite and Component inputs -- no 15-pin analog inputs.
    Why did they do that?

I enjoy that I can switch my 2405 between my normal server feed via DVI to my gaming machine on VGA with just the knob on the panel.

An external DVI switch is very expensive for high quality, and for the games the VGA input quality is entirely sufficient.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    Why did they do that?

I enjoy that I can switch my 2405 between my normal server feed via DVI to my gaming machine on VGA with just the knob on the panel.

An external DVI switch is very expensive for high quality, and for the games the VGA input quality is entirely sufficient.
    hmmm...
    The site where I copied and pasted it from may of been wrong
    On the last page of the TFT Central review there is a link to two Japanese sites that review the LCD and have several screenshots of the LCD.
    On the second japanese site I found this in the second page:

so Im guessing its a mistake from the site I got it from, and from me for copying it
    Sry about that. I edited the post above.

Xtreme Mentor
    one more Pic :

regards

[Review] Core i7 920 & UD5 » Here!! « .....[Review] XFX GTX260 216SP Black Edition » Here!! «
    [Review] ASUS HD4870X2 TOP » Here!! «
    .....[Review] EVGA 750i SLi FTW » Here!! «
    [Review] BFG 9800GTX 512MB » Here!! « .....[Review] Geforce 9800GX2 1GB » Here!! «
    [Review] EVGA GTX280 1GB GDDR3 » Here!! « .....[Review] Powercolor HD4870 512MB GDDR5 » Here!! «

I will say one thing about it.. it does look dead sexy.