Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK...just built an i7 system, now what's going on? Only 4GB out of 6GB showing......

Xtreme Enthusiast

OK...just built an i7 system, now what's going on? Only 4GB out of 6GB showing......

Just finished an i7 build.....some new parts, some old.

New parts:

i7 920
    MSI X58M motherboard
    6GB (3x2GB) Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 RAM

Old Parts:

4870 1GB video
    2 x 1TB WD hard drives

Hooked everything up, fired it up, it lives but only showing 4GB of my 6GB of RAM in BIOS and in Windows (Vista 64.)

So, remove a stick from slot 3, now shows 2GB. Hmmmmm........

Put it back in, remove stick from slot 2, restart it and still shows 2GB. Hmmmmm.......

Put that stick back in and remove stick from slot one, which supposedly will prevent it from even starting, according to the manual anyway--and it fires up and shows 4GB of memory. Weird.

So, pull the stick from slot 2 and put the stick I removed from slot 1 into that slot, fire it back up and it shows, again, 4GB of memory.

OK.....so I remove ALL the memory, and put one stick into slot 1....the "required to be filled before all other slots" slot.

Computer starts for a few seconds, dies, restarts, and loops like that, all while beeping cannot locate RAM fault beep code.

So I switch the RAM around.....put every stick into slot 1....and it faults like it has no RAM.

Put any stick into slot 2 or 3 and it fires up. All sticks work in slots 2 and 3, no matter what's in slot 1.....

Sound like a bad motherboard? All the memory sticks work as long as they're not in the first slot.

And I'm using it right now as I post here....slot one empty, slots 2 and 3 populated, running in dual channel mode.

Banned
    The majority of such problems arise from bent pins. It is happening much more often than before but no one seems to know why.

Xtreme Mentor
    Have you lapped your CPU?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Have you lapped your CPU?
    No, see no need for that.

Banned
    Don't worry, he's got his own theory which I think you just shot to pieces XD

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    Don't worry, he's got his own theory which I think you just shot to pieces XD
    Correct. Which is not necessarily a good thing, this is a very frustrating problem that more and more people are experiencing on a wide range of motherboards, myself included.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    try to change modules in their slots

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

Xtreme Addict
    So, if I understand it correctly from reading the post above, memory slot 1 is dead. You can either do an RMA or return it to the place of purchase. Possibly a better idea to just return it and get a new one to replace it.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

I am Xtreme
    Try a reseat of the CPU, add corect voltages for the rams, if no go RMA the board
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Before you reseat, load up memtest+ and see if all 6gb are seen.
    I had the same problem with my EVGA x58, however it turned out the problem was directly related to me using my Dell Perc5/i with the system once that was removed the system was able to fully utilize 6gb of ram.
    xeon x5650 @ 4.2ghz, 12gb, evga x58, 6970 tri-fire, 4x intel 80gb ssd, dell 3008wfp, 3x dell 2007fp in portrait eyefinity

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Humminn55,
    It's a pretty common issue (maybe too common) with i7, you can read my explanation to the problem here:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...95&postcount=5

I suggest you go with Leeghoofd's suggestions.

Good luck.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q˛ Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Mentor
    i think i have been read same problem from another guy within one month ago
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I've reseated the cpu twice now....memory volts are what they're supposed to be, at least according to the BIOS. Changed the sticks around endlessly.....still got a dead slot. Hate making the trip to exchange it, but guess I must.

Hate it even more tearing it down......that's actually the worst part.

Memory gap feature?

When i enabled this at 2gb in bios it showed as 4gb usuable in windows.

EDIT: that wouldn't explain the first slot being the only one that doesn't work, ignore me!

i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz | Z68X-UD3H-Gen3 | 8GB Ram | EVGA HD GTX570

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i had exactly the same problem with foxconn bloodrage, slot closest to cpu didn't work.
    but.
    i knew about weak pins and i was really extraordinary carefull installing cpu. btw i installed cpu only 2 times. and my pins was in ideal health.
    so i returned board and got new one, gonna check soon if all slots will work nice. i hope this was not due to cpu uncore damage.

also i have my own theory about it
    i have noticed that on first board latch on socket was very hard to lock, i need to apply a force to get it closed.
    on second board latch closed very easy, without force. so this may be a real reason.
    Last edited by rioja; 07-15-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Foxconn Bloodrage
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150

Xtreme Member
    I also experience this exact same issue on my i7 rig... when I first built it, all 6GB was being recognized no problem, but one day I fired it up and it would only see 4GB, I then tried swapping ram around in different order, but nothing worked..

It is also the first slot on my mobo that fails to see the installed ram, so I like you guys had thought that it was a dead DIMM slot on the mobo, and went ahead and RMA'd the mobo, well they tested my board with 6GB and 12GB and it worked fine, so I got it back again, only to find that it was still only detecting 4GB..

I have two different sets of tri channel DDR3, and it does this with both sets.. I have also tested each module individually with memtest boot disc, and they all ran for 20+ passes without a single error at their rated spec...

I was still positive that I had a dead slot on my mobo, and that it was an intermittent fault, because some days I could turn on my system and in would see all of the installed RAM, but that would only last for a couple of hours at the most before going back to seeing 4GB, so I went and bought yet another UD5 mobo, and again the EXACT same problem happened on my brand new board!!!

I have tested my gear with as many different hardware configurations as possible, as I have 3 gfx cards, 2 sets of RAM, 2 UD5 mobos, 3 SATAII HDD's, 2 PSU's, and I also changed over all my SATA cables incase it was dodgy leads that was causing these problems, and no matter what hardware configuration I used this problem is always present, and the only piece of hardware that hasn't changed with each configuration is my processor...

I found a thread on the Corsair support forums, where 2 other people were having this problem with their rig, they were both using different mobos as well, an Asus RIIE, and P6T Deluxe I think it was, and one of the guys ended up changing his CPU and that sorted it out for him!!

I have been suspecting the IMC on my processor as the culprit as well, because like I said, I have changed over all other pieces of hardware, and the problems still persist...

I'm getting another i920 D0 next week hopefully, so then I will know for sure if it is my processor that is bricked.. though I am quite confident that it is...

Another thing that can cause this to happen is bent CPU socket pins.. I read a thread on OcUK forums where someone was experiencing this, and he had a bent pin in his socket, he straightened it out, and the problem dissapeared...

I wish that it was a bent pin that was causing my issues, because I hate RMA'ing hardware, but I have checked the sockets on both of my mobos 1000's of times, and there are no pins out of line at all on my boards...

Anyway, I will post back here to let you guys know how I get on with this issue...

Have any of you found a fix?

::edit::

@rioja, I to thought that it could have had something to do with the load plate in the CPU socket, because on both of my UD5's, they take quite a bit of pressure to close.. I was quite scared the first time I had to push down the bar to lock it in place... How could I go about loosening the load plate so it doesn't take the same amount of pressure to close?
    Last edited by DavyBoy; 07-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

I am Xtreme
    Blunt you need to reseat the CPU a few times... that could solve it, there's prolly nothing wrong with the CPU... not the boards... nor the ram... just a bad contact
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Hey man,

I have tried reseating the processor loads of times.. I don't know what else I can try..

It is weird because as I said, when I first built this rig, it would see all 6GB without any issues, then one day it started only seeing 4GB...

I don't think it has anything to do with reseating the processor, because it does this on both mobos, and as I said, I have tried to reseat the CPU loads of times and it doesn't make a difference...

I do notice something else that is strange in the BIOS though, the Round Trip Latency setting for my RAM is 62 on the first stick (the channel that isn't working) and then it is 58 for the other two sticks, someone on here told me that RTL should be first stick = x, second stick = x+2, and last stick should be x+4, anyway, I tried to manually set these, but still it only boots with 4GB...

Also, another reason why I don't believe it has anything to do with the processor needing reseated, is that certain days it does POST with 6GB, this maybe happens once a week at the most, but as soon as I do anything that puts a load on the system, it will crash, and then when it reboots it only sees 4GB again...

I want to try and loosen off the load plate to see if less pressure will sort this out, because it takes quite a bit of force to lock the load plate...
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh, i forgot to inform, i changed those bad mobo to new one, and all works fine
    so it's no the issue with cpu, just the board
    it had ideally looking pins on the socket, and reseating cpu didn't help
    only rma is the way

and on new board socket latch was need same much force to close, so it is not the reason also
    Last edited by rioja; 07-26-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Foxconn Bloodrage
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    NEC 2690WUXi

Xtreme Member
    Well, I am 100% certain it isn't my mobo, for the simple fact that I have already RMA'd my first UD5, and also, my 2nd board does the EXACT same thing, and it is the same memory slot...

I guess it could be several things that cause this to happen, though I personally think that it is my CPU's IMC that is bad.. I think the problem I have is the same thing that the Fox said in the link he posted above...

I will RMA my processor on Tuesday anyway, and see what the outcome is of that...

I'll post back in this thread as to how I get on..

Oh, and I have now tried to reseat my CPU/HSF 4 times this evening, and nothing makes a blind bit of difference...
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BLunTSmoKeR View Post
    Well, I am 100% certain it isn't my mobo, for the simple fact that I have already RMA'd my first UD5, and also, my 2nd board does the EXACT same thing, and it is the same memory slot...

I guess it could be several things that cause this to happen, though I personally think that it is my CPU's IMC that is bad.. I think the problem I have is the same thing that the Fox said in the link he posted above...

I will RMA my processor on Tuesday anyway, and see what the outcome is of that...

I'll post back in this thread as to how I get on..

Oh, and I have now tried to reseat my CPU/HSF 4 times this evening, and nothing makes a blind bit of difference...
    A bad overclock can also cause it; if you've overclocked, back down to stock. Usually, when I've experienced this, it usually boils down to either too much vdimm or NB.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    A bad overclock can also cause it; if you've overclocked, back down to stock. Usually, when I've experienced this, it usually boils down to either too much vdimm or NB.
    Thanks for the suggestion mate, but unfortunately this isn't the problem.. my system does this no matter how the BIOS is set..

I have even tried underclocking the processor, and having the RAM running at 1066, and 800MHz... nothing will make my system POST with 6GB of RAM...

The IMC on my processor is clearly damaged, I have tried absolutely everything that people suggest on various forums for this issue to no avail...

I understand that it can be a variety of things that can cause this problem to happen, like bent pins in the CPU socket, processor not being mounted properly, HSF being screwed down to tight, bad o/c settings, but it is none of these that is the cause of my problem..

I will be shipping my processor off tommorow or Wednesday, which will prove that it is my CPU that is at fault, and none of the above!!!
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

Xtreme Member
    Well, I RMA'd my processor again, and there weren't any faults found, but the good guys at OcUK have sent me out a brand new boxed retail chip as a replacement anyway, even though my last chip was OEM!!

I got a PM from someone on here today, and they were experiencing the exact same problem as me, and they to replaced their mobo, RAM, and even their processor and the problems were still present, but someone suggested to him that it could be his HSF being to tight that was causing this problem, so he refitted his cooler and didn't have it so tight, and now his rig is seeing all 6GB and has been running perfectly for the last month...

Maybe it has something to do with my Zalman LGA1366 mounting bracket, so when this new processor arrives (it is supposed to be here today) I will install my TRUE now that I got the 1366 bolt thru kit for it, and hopefully that clears up the problem for me...
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLunTSmoKeR View Post
    Well, I RMA'd my processor again, and there weren't any faults found, but the good guys at OcUK have sent me out a brand new boxed retail chip as a replacement anyway, even though my last chip was OEM!!

I got a PM from someone on here today, and they were experiencing the exact same problem as me, and they to replaced their mobo, RAM, and even their processor and the problems were still present, but someone suggested to him that it could be his HSF being to tight that was causing this problem, so he refitted his cooler and didn't have it so tight, and now his rig is seeing all 6GB and has been running perfectly for the last month...

Maybe it has something to do with my Zalman LGA1366 mounting bracket, so when this new processor arrives (it is supposed to be here today) I will install my TRUE now that I got the 1366 bolt thru kit for it, and hopefully that clears up the problem for me...

Check your mounting standoffs.

It took me 3 months and a bounced RMA to realize that I had an extra stand-off that was shorting out a couple of ram pins from underneath. This effectively disabled 8 out of 16 ram slots on my workstation until I removed that standoff.
    Main Machine:
    AMD FX8350 @ stock --- 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz --- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 --- 2.0 TB Seagate

Miscellaneous Workstations for Code-Testing:
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz --- Asus Z87-Plus --- 1.5 TB (boot) --- 4 x 1 TB + 4 x 2 TB (swap)

Xtreme Member
    I have 9 stand offs on my mobo tray, and they are all being used...
    Core i7 D0
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    SLi'd GTX280s
    Corsair HX850
    Custom Silverstone TJ07
    Custom Watercooling
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500
    Roccat Kave 5.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast