Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRONMODS: New AMD Phemon SuperPi 1MB WR - 19.922s

Champion

Thumbs up IRONMODS: New AMD Phemon SuperPi 1MB WR - 19.922s

Hey Folks,

I started playing with the AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition a few days, and it is a BLAST to bench with. It is a very fun and versatile chip. I had a few hours to bench last night, so I was primarily focusing on SuperPi 1MB. I am not a very strong SuperPi Tweaker, but was able to manage a new Phenom SuperPi WR of 19.922s

Here is my system spec for this bench:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition 0831
    Motherboard: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 0401
    Memory: OCZ PC2-6400 (Micron D9GMH)
    PSU: Silverstone Strider 700Watt
    Video: AMD 3870
    Cooling: Jinu Single Stage Phase Change

You can look at the screen cap for details on voltage and timing. This is just the beginning. Much more on the way!!

Here is the screen cap:

Link To Full Size Screen Shot

- Ton

Banned
    nice work and congrats!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    That's amazing. I really wish my luck with single stage had been as good back when I had it running.
    Not much to say right now.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Ton,

Hate to break it to ya, but that's not just the Phenom world record.
    That's the all time AMD world record in SuperPi 1M!!
    http://ripping.org/benchmarks.php?ac...i=1M&cpuid=AMD

Sweet run!
    Congrats my friend

Xtreme Addict
    That's more like it!

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Nice job Ton, broke a WR and didn't even realize it

Xtreme Addict
    grats as well! Nice work..
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Champion
    Hey Guys.. thanks for the compliments.. I didn't even realize it was the Overal AMD WR :P Seriously.. I was just chasing after SoF score. This is a great little bonus. Thanks for the link Flasker. Good to see both you and Gomeler again

I am currently trying to tweak my Spi32 benches.. and squeeze some piFast inbetween.. but dang.. the Spi32 takes forever on an AMD :P Well. we will see what results we get tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

Ton

PS:
    Gomeler - Next time your in LA.. I will hook you up w/ a 4x4 @ In-N-Out.. i did that for Cpt.Planet when he visited

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, extremely impressive result!
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Xtreme Member
    New WR, congrats man! Keep it up.

Don't stop there. Keep on pushing. Just one more MHz, man, just one more Mhz.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Banned
    Good stuff.

Champion
    Hey Guys,

I wanted to add a little more to this thread. I finally had a chance to run SPi32 MB. It isn't an OVERALL AMD WR.. but it is the fastest Phenom SPi

The run was at 19min 30.469s @ 3.850Ghz. vCPU was set to 1.6v in bios.

Here is a screen shot:

Click Here for Full Size Image.

- TOn

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TiTON View Post
    Hey Folks,

I started playing with the AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition a few days, and it is a BLAST to bench with. It is a very fun and versatile chip. I had a few hours to bench last night, so I was primarily focusing on SuperPi 1MB. I am not a very strong SuperPi Tweaker, but was able to manage a new Phenom SuperPi WR of 19.922s

Here is my system spec for this bench:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition 0831
    Motherboard: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 0401
    Memory: OCZ PC2-6400 (Micron D9GMH)
    PSU: Silverstone Strider 700Watt
    Video: AMD 3870
    Cooling: Jinu Single Stage Phase Change

You can look at the screen cap for details on voltage and timing. This is just the beginning. Much more on the way!!

Here is the screen cap:

Link To Full Size Screen Shot

- Ton
    just curious...why Core 1 was 14x?

and which core did you run the Pi?

thanks.

Champion
    Hey Ken,

Well.. with the AMD Phenom, you can clock each core indepently, which gives you great versatility (not found on Intel). Your max speed is not limited to your worst core. My Core 1 is very strong, and since SuperPi is a single threaded app, I ran it on that core.

I hope I expalined it well.

Ton

Xtreme Addict
    Grats on the WRpi

...Its nice to see ExtremeClocking with Phenom/AMDplatform ...
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gOtVoltage View Post
    Grats on the WRpi

...Its nice to see ExtremeClocking with Phenom/AMDplatform ...
    Trying my best

Xtreme Addict
    awesome work Seems the Phenoms like the cold a little bit more than K8, what were your evap temp?

Xtreme Member
    Congrats bro! It might not be anything compare to intel quad result but this is the best of all AMD!! Like it!
    i7 4770 | 24GB | Z87 Mpower | 1070FE | 512GB/1TB/2TB | WiNDy FC500 | 2713hm | 2.0 | 650w

Xtreme Mentor
    1. evap temp? have you found a cold bug yet? your HTT ref clock doesn't seem all that low.
    2. nb freq seems unrealistically high. isn't there a bug/hack in reporting the nb speeds? i thought i read that a while back.
    3. is it really single channel? if yes, why, is there something to gain by running single channel?

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by biohead View Post
    1. evap temp? have you found a cold bug yet? your HTT ref clock doesn't seem all that low.
    2. nb freq seems unrealistically high. isn't there a bug/hack in reporting the nb speeds? i thought i read that a while back.
    3. is it really single channel? if yes, why, is there something to gain by running single channel?
    Hey Guys.. i see alot fo questions.. but I believe Biohead asked all of them in a single post.. so i am quoting him, and hoping it answers your questions.

1. Evap temp - PC off = -50c ~ -48c. on idle like -40c.. load @ like -32c. These are not official.. i will get better reading for you guys on my Spi 32mb run.

2. NB freq - It is set to the default of "Auto" in bios, which is 10x. If I manually set it to 9x it would not boot. So i figure.. if it boots at 10x, and not at 9x.. i will let it just be. These are my initial results.. so I am still tweaking And haven't figured out why it didn't boot at 9x.

3. Single Channel - Yes.. it is. I am primiarly focusing on what the CPU can do, and haven't done dual channel. Clocking single channel ram is just easier. I am going double channel next.

I hope i answered everyone questions

Ton

Dang.. forgot to answer the question on the cold bug The answer is yes and no.

One 120w 9950BE hard cold bug at -21c in bios. I am talking about a hard lock. I couldn't do anythin w/ it at all on phase. I used a 140w 9950BE.. didn't seem to cold bug at all on my phase. This particular chip is a 120w 9950BE, and I havne't seen it bug on my phase. Both 120w, the one that bugged and not bugged, are exact same stepping and week. So no way to tell.

I have put as much as 1.7v. but didn't see any improvmeent over 1.575 ~ 1.6v. I am going to try DICE later, once I get everythin dialed in.
    Last edited by TiTON; 10-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey Ken,

Well.. with the AMD Phenom, you can clock each core indepently, which gives you great versatility (not found on Intel). Your max speed is not limited to your worst core. My Core 1 is very strong, and since SuperPi is a single threaded app, I ran it on that core.

I hope I expalined it well.

Ton
    insane! that's 3.9GHz!

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey Guys.. i see alot fo questions.. but I believe Biohead asked all of them in a single post.. so i am quoting him, and hoping it answers your questions.

1. Evap temp - PC off = -50c ~ -48c. on idle like -40c.. load @ like -32c. These are not official.. i will get better reading for you guys on my Spi 32mb run.

2. NB freq - It is set to the default of "Auto" in bios, which is 10x. If I manually set it to 9x it would not boot. So i figure.. if it boots at 10x, and not at 9x.. i will let it just be. These are my initial results.. so I am still tweaking And haven't figured out why it didn't boot at 9x.

3. Single Channel - Yes.. it is. I am primiarly focusing on what the CPU can do, and haven't done dual channel. Clocking single channel ram is just easier. I am going double channel next.

I hope i answered everyone questions

Ton

Dang.. forgot to answer the question on the cold bug The answer is yes and no.

One 120w 9950BE hard cold bug at -21c in bios. I am talking about a hard lock. I couldn't do anythin w/ it at all on phase. I used a 140w 9950BE.. didn't seem to cold bug at all on my phase. This particular chip is a 120w 9950BE, and I havne't seen it bug on my phase. Both 120w, the one that bugged and not bugged, are exact same stepping and week. So no way to tell.

I have put as much as 1.7v. but didn't see any improvmeent over 1.575 ~ 1.6v. I am going to try DICE later, once I get everythin dialed in.
    thanks for the explanations

traditionally, cold bugs could be induced by increasing the HTT ref. clock. this would higher the coldbug threshold.

1. is it possible that you could perhaps crank the HTT ref clock (with low cpu/nb multipliers) to try to induce a cold bug?

this situation seems curious. same steppings, different coldbugs (sure your chip has one, but you haven't touched it yet). makes me wonder if there are a new set of rules with phenom and cold.. (like timings, tweak settings in AOD, IMC load, NB speeds, etc.).

2. about your NB speeds. I think it's being reported incorrectly. 280*9 is over 2500 mhz which is generally considered a feat. some people can't get over 2400 mhz. maybe that's the case with your chip, thus it would not boot. 2800 mhz is almost absurd so perhaps Auto is in fact lowering your NB speeds unnoticed. So..

3. .. could you try 8.5x or 8.0x and crank the HTT ref clock to find your NB limit that way?

I've got a single stage about the same as yours.. -50 idle -30 with 200W load. and boy i'm tempted with these phenoms, of course even more so with deneb. but not enough bucks, i need a job next to college for that.

overclocking and tweaking this platform seems a lot more tempting because it actually requires insight and patience, and knowing your platform overall -- each setup seems to behave uniquely and you can't really tell what results you'll get. in other words, not the run-off-the-mill instant-gratification intel chips (with all due respect).

oh and last, don't be surprised if a higher IMC load (dual-channel) will compromise your overclock.
    Last edited by biohead; 11-01-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Legend
    dual channel will be much faster IF you can get similar clocks

excellent work
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast