Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Mod For Ultra-120 eXtreme

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off

Thumbs up Easy Mod For Ultra-120 eXtreme

Today I had to change cpu's and decided I was going to figure out a way to make this hs fit better When I first mounted this hs on my Kentsfield it was soo loose (with the screws bottomed out) that I could wiggle it back and forth so much it was almost off the IHS.. Terrible design if you ask me. Anyway, since the design of the top X bracket is using the center as the point of pressure I added a piece of cardboard under it then screwed all 4 screws as tight as they would go.. This didnt warp the board it was a perfect fit with no wiggle.. I mean if I tried with force I could get it to move around but at least it was snug. Now, with changing my fan to the pull position I gained 3c but after mounting with the piece of cardboard under the top X bracket I am now under 60c loaded at 1.45v. Thats over 8c improvement.. Not bad Sorry no pics camera was stolen

Sounds like they need to work on the bracket to get more pressure.

Did Dave borrow your camera again? j/k sorry it got stolen
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I was originally going to add a few washers to the 4 screws for more pressure but thats really not where its needed.

XSDCMF
    I bought #6 washers to use on my second 120 Xtreme. Maybe I'll try it out with both washers and cardboard ( and w/o the washers, but just cardboard ).

The design is kinda funky as far as the S775 goes. Because they made it swivel to fit in under the heatsink they lost strength there I think.

I'm not using mine for an AM2, but there AM2 bracket looks much more effective. It is all one piece and has a stronger looking, formed pressure point.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XSDCMF
    Eric, do you think something more rigid than cardboard would be more beneficial?
    Somebody, Stop Me!

I was thinking that a Teflon washer or even just a metal washer would be much stronger.. I just used the cardboard temporarily to see if it would make a diff but I'll still need something for the long haul.

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by njkid32 View Post
    I was thinking that a Teflon washer or even just a metal washer would be much stronger.. I just used the cardboard temporarily to see if it would make a diff but I'll still need something for the long haul.
    Or a piece of hardwood, perhaps. How thick would you estimate it need to be?
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Hmm maybe an 1/8th of an inch maybe more. I'd have to measure.. If its an 1/8th of an inch or thicker you'll still be able to adjust with the screws but getting the screws to start to thread may be a bit difficult.

XSDCMF
    Hmm maybe an 1/8th of an inch maybe more. I'd have to measure.. If its an 1/8th of an inch or thicker you'll still be able to adjust with the screws but getting the screws to start to thread may be a bit difficult.
    Maybe one of those case bezel punchouts from 5.25 drive spaces. Or two. Cut to size to fit in under there.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

That might require to much work If you flip over the top mount you'll see that there is a little screw and a plastic washer under it. I'd say all you need is one more of those washers stuck to the bottom. I know that those plastic washers with adhesive on the back are sold somewhere But, either one or two of those should get the job done.

Xtreme Member
    Today I had to change cpu's and decided I was going to figure out a way to make this hs fit better When I first mounted this hs on my Kentsfield it was soo loose (with the screws bottomed out) that I could wiggle it back and forth so much it was almost off the IHS.. Terrible design if you ask me. Anyway, since the design of the top X bracket is using the center as the point of pressure I added a piece of cardboard under it then screwed all 4 screws as tight as they would go.. This didnt warp the board it was a perfect fit with no wiggle.. I mean if I tried with force I could get it to move around but at least it was snug. Now, with changing my fan to the pull position I gained 3c but after mounting with the piece of cardboard under the top X bracket I am now under 60c loaded at 1.45v. Thats over 8c improvement.. Not bad Sorry no pics camera was stolen
    Great F'in Idea. I'm going to have to do the same, my temps suck. Since I'm using an ES QX6700 i'll lap the damn thing too while Im at it.

Xtreme Member
    I'll try this out when I get my next mobo. I don't like how loose the Ultra Extreme fits on my P5B...

Guys please let me know if anyone has tried this.. I just want to know if you see an improvement or if mine was just a fluke.

Xtreme Addict
    good idea here

i noticed mine was loose also.
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

I just got my 2nd..RMA'ed the first, which was VERY loose. The first had the plastic washer, the new unit I put in last night DOES NOT. It fits VERY tightly...and cools 10C better. Now, Oc'ed, (3300, QX6700) I'm in low 40's under normal stress.
    Doc

Xtreme Member
    any1 got a picture? XD
    E6600 - 3.6Ghz @ 1.4V
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan
    Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi-AP
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 2GB
    eVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB 650/1900
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair HX520W
    Antec 900 Case

3DMark06 - 13,078

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctahg View Post
    I just got my 2nd..RMA'ed the first, which was VERY loose. The first had the plastic washer, the new unit I put in last night DOES NOT. It fits VERY tightly...and cools 10C better. Now, Oc'ed, (3300, QX6700) I'm in low 40's under normal stress.
    Doc
    What does it have in place of the washer?

Nothing...but it now fits like a glove. I'm thinking the washer..being plastic, allowed it to slide/spin. Doesn't look like they changed anything else. But if I had my original still, and it moved alot or isn't cooling like the badass it's supposed to be, I'd remove the washer, if possible, and try it that way. It's cooling pretty well right now. I'm throwing a Delta 150 CFM on it later this week. THEN we'll really see! and hear! I am also changing cases...[URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103011[/URL]..I think airflow is key with this BIG tower. Need another case anyways! But with my case closed my temps go up 2-3C...
    Doc
    X-CLIO Windtunnel
    EVGA 122-CK-780-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA
    Intel Core 9650
    Thermaltake Ultra Exteme
    CORSAIR Dominator 4GB(4x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Ultra X31000
    3 8800GTX eVGA triple SLI
    Vista 64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Someone please put up some pics. Mine is too loose. There's got to be a good working solution that someone can film.
    The little air system that could.

Xtreme Member
    Here is a pic of the spring and the scissors clamp.

This was ordered when they came back in stock from newegg.com over a week ago, maybe someone can compare with one that is loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120ex.jpg 
Views:	16376 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	59615  
    i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
    Scythe MUGEN-2 with Push/Pull
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    3X2GB G-Skill DDR3
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    OCZ Agility 120GB
    24" Acer HDMI LCD
    Corsair TX850
    Lian-Li PC-V1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The cardboard spacer is a great idea. Kudos. If you wanna get every bit of efficiency out of your setup I would recommend lapping both your HS and CPU. I got about 2 °C when I lapped my Ultra-120 Ex, but the largest gain of ~8 °C came from lapping the IHS on my Q6600 which was moderately concave.

Here is another thread about someone lapping their Ultra-120 eX as well.

Great minds think alike! I too was thinking about doing this, except I was gonna use some folded loose-leaf paper lol. I never got around to doing it, too lazy, and too sick of opening up my computer case. I'm also gonna try it out soon, maybe right now. I'll keep you guys posted.
    "Do not ask to find fault, ask to learn. For if the ignorant man asks to learn, then he is more knowledgeable than a knowledgeable man, who asks to find fault." - Commander of the Faithful Imam Ali A.S.

I'm a man of my word, I lapped her up to 1000 grit, (I lapped her correctly before anyone asks) and I placed a another washer in between HS and the Clamp/Xbracket. I used coollabs liquid pro again and here are the comparo temps

Before mod+unlapped HS Idle temps 46/42
    After mod+lapped HS Idle temps 43/41

Take it for what it is... a half-assed before and after test. I didn't bother with load temps, simply because I suck. The reason my temps are so high is because its about hell degrees celsius in my house. I had to drop my OC from 3.6 to 3.4 and lower the voltage a tad.
    "Do not ask to find fault, ask to learn. For if the ignorant man asks to learn, then he is more knowledgeable than a knowledgeable man, who asks to find fault." - Commander of the Faithful Imam Ali A.S.

The washer is on the OTHER side of the bracket, where the screw head is. I's RMA it, but if you want to play with it, try to get the screw out...won't be easy though.
    X-CLIO Windtunnel
    EVGA 122-CK-780-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA
    Intel Core 9650
    Thermaltake Ultra Exteme
    CORSAIR Dominator 4GB(4x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Ultra X31000
    3 8800GTX eVGA triple SLI
    Vista 64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctahg View Post
    The washer is on the OTHER side of the bracket, where the screw head is. I's RMA it, but if you want to play with it, try to get the screw out...won't be easy though.
    You could leave it and cut the washer edges until they are even with the edges of the screw.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast