Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Core parking on Windows Seven

Windows 7 home 64, andressergio.

Anyone having problems with turning core parking off please follow the instructions closely:
    Quote Originally Posted by LostHawk View Post
    Just create a text file, copy paste the code here and save it as e.g. unpark.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
    "ValueMax"=dword:00000000
    The important thing here is to apply the tweak to CurrentControlSet, which is not the same ControlSet001 or ControlSet002.
    Pokerface, I think your screenshot shows the tweak in ControlSet001.
    After changing it to 0 in CurrentControlSet, reboot and core parking should be turned off.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Arcanum; 11-25-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @arcanum

I did the reg tweak as described by both you and the article. Once I saw the section to change core parking under the Power section of Control Panel and set that to 0% to turn off core parking. I figured I was done.

I rebooted and turned on Resource Monitor. In idle state, the 4 physical cores were unparked. The logical cores (hyperthreading) were parked.

I took the most CPU intensive game I have, ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead, ran an internal benchmark in windowed mode to watch the Resource Monitor.

Before the action began, the logical cores were parked, the physical cores were active. Once the 3d action began, all cores became active. Core 7, a logical core would bounce between active & parked. It was occasionally loaded to ~ 25%.

All 4 physical cores were active through out. 3 of the 4 logical cores were very active as well.

I'd say that because my physical cores never parked, the tweak prevents those cores from parking. The tweak also seemed to make consistent use of hyperthreading cores as well.

I also went back to registry, per Andressergio's posts, and changed the max parking value to 0 from 64 (hex for 100%?). It still worked the same. That tweak just seems to reset the upper limit of the available ranges. That entry was under Control Set, Control Set 01 & Control Set 02. The original edit in Control Set seems to open the hidden feature for the Control Panel / Power applet.

That's how I see it. Please correct me if I'm missing something about this reg edit.

Regards.
    Last edited by Sailindawg; 11-25-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
    Anyone having problems with turning core parking off please follow the instructions closely:

The important thing here is to apply the tweak to CurrentControlSet, which is not the same ControlSet001 or ControlSet002.
    Pokerface, I think your screenshot shows the tweak in ControlSet001.
    After changing it to 0 in CurrentControlSet, reboot and core parking should be turned off.
    Hope this helps
    I doubled checked CurrentControlSet and still have the same cores parked.

I am Xtreme
    Nice writeup only thing that bothers me is I can't find, at first glance, any credit to the one that discovered this bug or feature of Win7...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

@ Sailindawg, Pokerface

Well, that's certainly weird, only thing I could possibly add is to try and undo the ControlPanel feature, that is - to make it hidden again by changing Attributes value.
    From my experience I got the impression that changing both ValueMax to 0 + Attributes to 1 (to unhide in option in CP) and then changing the value in CP seemed to undo the tweak for me.
    I now have CP option hidden, ValueMax on 0 and it is indeed working with 0 parked cores in PerfMon, that's on an i7 920. Other than that I'm pretty much clueless as to why it's not working

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    u searched the reg ? from what i understood this is on all HT processors
    Don't have HT on my i5 750, but will give it a look anyway, just in case. Thanks .
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
    @ Sailindawg, Pokerface

Well, that's certainly weird, only thing I could possibly add is to try and undo the ControlPanel feature, that is - to make it hidden again by changing Attributes value.
    From my experience I got the impression that changing both ValueMax to 0 + Attributes to 1 (to unhide in option in CP) and then changing the value in CP seemed to undo the tweak for me.
    I now have CP option hidden, ValueMax on 0 and it is indeed working with 0 parked cores in PerfMon, that's on an i7 920. Other than that I'm pretty much clueless as to why it's not working
    I wouldn't say that it's not working, but at idle, are all of your cores , both physical & logical, unparked by the resource monitor?

EDIT:

I went into the registry, undid Addressergios edits and put the Value Max Range to 64 (100%), leaving the original reg tweak alone. I went to Comtrol Panel, Power Options, set the core parking to 100%, rebooted and now all cores are unparked.
    Last edited by Sailindawg; 11-26-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme Addict
    any one can give some "results" for FXs ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    I went to Comtrol Panel, Power Options, set the core parking to 100%, rebooted and now all cores are unparked.
    you mean 0% right ?

I went into the registry, undid Addressergios edits and put the Value Max Range to 64 (100%), leaving the original reg tweak alone. I went to Comtrol Panel, Power Options, set the core parking to 100%, rebooted and now all cores are unparked.
    Great, glad you got it worked out And yes, with only ValueMax on 0, without Control Panel, all my cores, even HT, are unparked at idle.
    I think we both experienced the same thing but in the opposite way: CP setting messing with registry setting and other way around.

Seems that only registry should be changed OR control panel should be changed, and not both at the same time, else the tweak doesn't work?
    Could you recheck the ValueMax number in CurrentControlSet now? Would be useful to sort this out so other people don't run into same problem

I can't find core parking in the power options.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_ View Post
    you mean 0% right ?
    Check this out:

100% Setting for Core Parking

0% Setting for Core Parking

Go Figure!! I don't have time at moment to look in registry at original reg edit. At any rate, I've unparked all core for the moment!!

@Arcanum

The max value was set back to what is was after the original Control Set reg edit, as outlined in the third ( ?) paragraph of the original article by the Czech group. I set the max range value back to 64 (hex value). As you can see from my screenshots, a 100% value unparked the cores. The screenshots were taken at idle. Under load, the cores remain unparked

I need to go back and read what the Czech group did because I seem to have the opposite of how they described the settings. Either that or something was lost in the Czech to English translation of the article.

Further, the Czech reg edit enabled the core parking option under the Power Options applet.
    Last edited by Sailindawg; 11-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Ok, I haven't seen the Czech group article, only the on the Italian xtremehardware.it, did you mean that one perhaps or I misunderstood something?

Either way, the xtremehardware article says, in short: Control Panel core parking 100% = core parking disabled = ValueMax 0.

So your result is in line with article actually, cause it they say the CP description is wrong and 100% disables parking, your result mirrors this.

The result should be identical if CP tweak is removed and only ValueMax 0 is applied, because it's the same setting. This is also in line with article and it's the method I used and it worked.

@Pokerface
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas, other than suggesting to remove all tweaks (CP & ValueMax) and just try applying one of them again, with reboots in between.

Xtreme Addict
    I have went in and manualy changed ValueMax to 0 in all 3 locations and it works great. Thanks for the info.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

c[_]
    What power profile are you guys running? Might be each of you has a different one active.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    What power profile are you guys running? Might be each of you has a different one active.
    I did mine via registry but my power option is on Balanced since I have EIST running so it downclocks my CPU when on idle. (If I keep it on high it will keep my oc'd frequency).
    [i7 4770K] [Z87 Gene VI] [8GB Sammy] [GTX780] [H80i] [AX850] [350D] [XL2720T]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is not recommended for gaming, got BSOD on several games, turned it back to default and everything is fine now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Arcanum for the explanation. I read some of the Italian article, then clicked the link to the Czech group and got as far as the registry edit. I came to the conclusion that there were two ways of accomplishing this tweak as we swapped comments.

Thanks again!!

Xtreme Mentor
    nice find
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Mentor
    is this only for AMD or INTEL I5 2500K too?
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

No worries Arcanum, thanks everyone for helping.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    This is not recommended for gaming, got BSOD on several games, turned it back to default and everything is fine now.
    Helix, you've got something else going on there affecting stability. All this tweak does is change how win 7 / 8 manages the cpu cores. Parking is somewhat of a power saving / server based option. On a desktop, I want all cores available for use, not left idle.

Xtreme Member
    Helix, you've got something else going on there affecting stability. All this tweak does is change how win 7 / 8 manages the cpu cores. Parking is somewhat of a power saving / server based option. On a desktop, I want all cores available for use, not left idle.
    I am not sure... I have similiar experiences but my crashes don't happen when I play games on my computer but at random. I know my computer has been rock solid for 6 months and after disabling core parking, I have been experiencing crashes every couple of hours.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aznsniper911 View Post
    I am not sure... I have similiar experiences but my crashes don't happen when I play games on my computer but at random. I know my computer has been rock solid for 6 months and after disabling core parking, I have been experiencing crashes every couple of hours.
    That's interesting AZ, what version Win 7 are you running & how did you do the registry edit?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast