Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware of new NVIDIA driver, it might burn your card

Xtreme Member
    I thought Nvidia didn't have driver problems? Because they have a dedicated driver team.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    If anything this makes me wonder what the use of the WHQL certificate is....
    the WHQL certificate has almost no use.
    MS tests the driver but they only test compatability to check if it installs properly on their OS they dont check stability or performance or proper functioning.

Its basicly a company pays MS money for the Windows compatible logo.

Further the WHQL testing takes a week or 2 wich is why Nvidia often releases a Beta after a new game release to quickly fix issues so they dont have to wait a week or 2 before they can launch a WHQL one.

Its one of the reasons why i never understood why ATI stopped releasing Beta drivers and started doing 1 official driver per month.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemax View Post
    Here's an update from NVIDIA:
    Bryan Del Rizzo, nVidia's PR Manager for GeForce for comment: "We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime."

From the horse's mouth, you have been warned.
    Downloaded last night but did not install, glad I was distracted. SHIFT-Delete now.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    the WHQL certificate has almost no use.

Its one of the reasons why i never understood why ATI stopped releasing Beta drivers and started doing 1 official driver per month.
    Since they release a Hotfix when needed? I guess its just a matter of naming.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NVIDIA pulls 196.75 driver amid reports it's frying graphics cards
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/n...-graphics-car/

Feel free to add this link to the OP post.

Visitor
    I noticed that both Furmark and Rivatuner report GPU temps about 24-25C higher than normal. Everest reports the same as previous drivers. Haven't experienced overheating due to water cooling.
    Last edited by cx-ray; 03-05-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReactor View Post
    Bwahahaha....anybody remember the 191 WHQLs?
    I was thinking the same thing. 191.07 had the same problem, it was a great driver too. This doesn't effect me anyways since I run an HR-03GTX.

Xtreme Cruncher
    thats weird I was thinking my 275 was running a little warm. I have it set to 75% now just because i didnt like the temps from bc2
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My cards started to cycle van speeds up then down, it started within 12hrs of installing. I rolled back. The gpus run too hot and are poorly design IMO, all that plastic crap and when you have 2 - 3 in sli its a fooking room heater. Someone needs to design the casing with a brain.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have experienced this first had not the burnt gpu, but woke up the other morning of using the new drivers. I've been running gpugrid manually set fans to 100% before I went to bed. Came downstairs and no fan noise but computer was on I figured it restarted in the middle of the night and back to default. Go over to computer gpugrid still running, computer did not restart, and gpu fans were completely off on both my gtx295's. Go to check temp cores were sitting at 120C. Way to fail nvidia Went back into precision and cranked the fans back to 100% and they worked.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    I have experienced this first had not the burnt gpu, but woke up the other morning of using the new drivers. I've been running gpugrid manually set fans to 100% before I went to bed. Came downstairs and no fan noise but computer was on I figured it restarted in the middle of the night and back to default. Go over to computer gpugrid still running, computer did not restart, and gpu fans were completely off on both my gtx295's. Go to check temp cores were sitting at 120C. Way to fail nvidia Went back into precision and cranked the fans back to 100% and they worked.
    Wow, luckily (?) your cards didn't get burned.
    Any idea why the manual fan controller gets reset?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontl1ne View Post
    And people say ATi drivers are bad...

Sorry, it had to be mentioned
    Exactly what i thought!

And this too.

WTH nvidia, I'm starting to get an ATI fanboy I DON'T WANT TO BE A FANBOY!

Xtreme Addict
    This is what you all get for questioning dear leaders decisions.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

XS News
    def a problem w/them. Noticed the second I launched SC2 beta, screen would flicker and the game would constantly crash. Only has happened on SC2 though, playing LoL was fine.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Member
    I noticed that my BFG GTs250's fan was oscillating between a higher and lower speed every few seconds after installing the newer drivers. Thought something was screwy. It broke battlefield Vietnam too.....

*shrugs*

Xtreme Addict
    I KNEW something was jacked up with these drivers. God I swear what in the hell is going on over at nVidia; they cant seem to get anything right now a days. Wait till semiaccurate gets hold of this lmao
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Yeah, NVIDIA totally screwed up with these drivers alright, I thought they were buggy and they give me issues as well, and now the fan control does not work, WTF. Way to go NVIDIA, next time, they better test it properly before releasing it to the public. And people say NVIDIA's drivers work better than ATI, but this is unacceptable.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    It's only useful to MS who get to rake in a good bit of money from it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AC accelero s1 - no worries here

Xtreme Mentor
    Hahaha 196.75 drivers are no longer available for download!

Xtreme Member
    Been useing 196.75 for a while now , no problems , with Crysis Warhead , Just Cause 2 demo , SupCom 2 , AVP.
    I got Evga 295 stock , temps and fan rpm same as always i have everest open on second monitor at all times.

Could it be only on specific brands ?
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Been useing 196.75 for a while now , no problems , with Crysis Warhead , Just Cause 2 demo , SupCom 2 , AVP.
    I got Evga 295 stock , temps and fan rpm same as always i have everest open on second monitor at all times.

Could it be only on specific brands ?
    Most likely. If all NVIDIA cards are affected, I think we would hear a lot more noise.

Still, if I were you I would play it safe and reverse to an older driver just in case. Playing with buggy software isn't safe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ooooh SHOOT! how will my waterblock know when to turn up.... oh right. ha. so people use those stock heatsink thingamajigs ?
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    I got no problems with this drivers and I use a 8800 GTS 512 (GTS 250 oc level) and the temps are quite normal.

80° at max during BC2 with stock cooler sounds nice, no ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast