Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Larrabee: A fiasco, or the future?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't judge too fast, it is an early prototype, with an early software ...
    Give us time ... we are taking on people with 14 or more years experience, Paris and Rome were not build the same day ... We are working hard ... wait and see

Francois
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Give us time ... we are taking on people with 14 or more years experience, Paris and Rome were not build the same day ... We are working hard ... wait and see

Francois
    Early Prototype? Larrabee has now 7 respins, every other ihv would be dead if he would need so many respins for his card. Maybe Larrabee 2 or 3 will be a great card, but i don't believe in Lrb1 as a revolution anymore.
    Last edited by AffenJack; 09-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Francois
    You are aiming for a fast moving target. You do not have the luxury of time. Same deal on the ARM front, and your results there haven't been impressive either. The iPhone exterminated all those MIDs you guys were showing off last year before that Next Big Thing even got out of the cradle.
    Last edited by Periander6; 09-23-2009 at 02:57 PM.

I am Xtreme
    I have to ask about this quote from the first article in the OP's post

There is no doubt in our minds that Intel is going to deliver Larrabee, as it is the future of the company.
    Is this for real? According to the Sept 1st S&P stock report, Intel makes 97% of it's money from cpus and chipsets (digital ent group = 55% and mobility group = 42%) . I guess both include their integrated graphics though. The report doesn't go into that level of detail.

Even so, it's hard for me to see that their future would depend on mid to hi-end graphics cards.

So if larrabee does fall flat, does anyone really think the future of the company is in peril? I'm not arguing, it just seems give way too much weight to this market segment.

Xtreme Member
    I would really LOVE a high end GPU from Intel, they have good support and even better products. If this performed close to the 5870, i would use it in a heartbeat. Intel is one of the best companies. AMD doesnt take care of its partners in the channel, Intel is great at supporting even the lower tier dealers. AMD has bad rep. Ive been a reseller for a long time, and i know.

Xtreme Member
    A question... If that was a realtime demonstration using Larrabee... why they didn't show a PCB or the card? Just dismount the box and show the card...

I think that demonstration was just and simply the old Daniel Pohl's raytraced Quake War running over a 32nm xeon... and no LRB card was inside the box. Think in this: that demo is running at 20FPS aprox... more or less the same than the old QW-RT demonstrations performed. There are no new effects, antialiasing, etc... it's the same demo that Intel is showing now for 3 years.
    Last edited by jogshy; 09-23-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    I have to ask about this quote from the first article in the OP's post

Is this for real? According to the Sept 1st S&P stock report, Intel makes 97% of it's money from cpus and chipsets (digital ent group = 55% and mobility group = 42%) . I guess both include their integrated graphics though. The report doesn't go into that level of detail.

Even so, it's hard for me to see that their future would depend on mid to hi-end graphics cards.

So if larrabee does fall flat, does anyone really think the future of the company is in peril? I'm not arguing, it just seems give way too much weight to this market segment.
    Look at the evolution with Ray-Tracing and GPGPU. Intel NEEDS Larrabee to be competitive in the future, not today but in the future. Intel will have to deliver Larrabee no matter what.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    A question... If that was a realtime demonstration using Larrabee... why they didn't show a PCB or the card? Just dismount the box and show the card...

I think that demonstration was just and simply the old Daniel Pohl's raytraced Quake War running over a 32nm xeon... and no LRB card was inside the box. Think in this: that demo is running at 20FPS aprox... more or less the same than the old QW-RT demonstrations performed. There are no new effects, antialiasing, etc... it's the same demo that Intel is showing now for 3 years.
    Conspiracy theories? Intel started delivering of LRB units to its partners. I see no reason in doing fake demos which can be easely proved as fake.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AffenJack View Post
    Early Prototype? Larrabee has now 7 respins, every other ihv would be dead if he would need so many respins for his card. Maybe Larrabee 2 or 3 will be a great card, but i don't believe in Lrb1 as a revolution anymore.
    Dont forget, francois is a performance guy. His job is to make sure the hardware delivers the performance its capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Early Prototype? Larrabee has now 7 respins.
    This is an innacurate statement, very innacurate.

Time will show

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    The iPhone exterminated all those MIDs you guys were showing off last year before that Next Big Thing even got out of the cradle.
    Atom out sold iPhone

Francois
    Last edited by Drwho?; 09-23-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: (sorry, editing the ration)

Xtreme Addict
    Atom out sold iPhone

Francois
    I don't doubt you but that's quite shocking. I like Atom though, so

Xtreme Enthusiast

Time will show
    Time is something you don't have.... Like many others have said, the competition is a fast moving target. They aren't standing still, and the hardware that albatross will have to compete with in the 2 or 3 years it takes to get at least acceptable performance out of it, will be even many more times faster than it is currently. And also like many others have said, this time, you'll have to try and compete within the law. If there is any bribing and backdoor deals going on, then NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Xtreme X.I.P.

Francois
    yeah but nobody claimed to build rome in 2 years... intel DID claim theyd build lrb in 2 years... its intel that set themselves this insane timeline, nobody else... it was stupid imo, give yourself more time than you think you need and surprise everybody by getting your work done early... thats the good old star trek scotty philosophy that works great

actually intel is doing exactly this with cpus usually, conservative forcast and then outperform the expectations you set... with lrb i think everybody had strong doubts from the start it would be available in time and perform that well...

Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    longterm, it might not kill intel or rob them of their market leader position... but the latter is very likely if you ask me seing as cpus and gpus are on a crash course...

there are two major shifts going on, from pc to consoles, and from pcs/laptops to smartphones.
    intel may have conquered the pc market, but the pc market is shrinking, its no secret...
    its kinda like intel being the market leader in old school rollerskates, but everybody is getting inline skates nowadays...

how many game consoles use an intel cpu? 0...
    how many game consoles are even x86 using intel technology? 0... ps3, xbox360, wii, psp, ds... all arm or powerpc...
    how many smartphones use an intel cpu? 0...
    how many smartphones are even x86 using intel technology? 0... iphone, blackberry, palm, nokia, sony ericsson, motorola, sharp, htc, lg, samsung anycall, etc... all arm

the pc will not die out, but its losing its importance...

thats why intel is pushing atom and lrb... atom for smartphones and netbooks and lrb for consoles and pc gaming.

while atom was a comercial success for intel, it is far from a sucessful product in customer perception...
    atom is too hot for phones and pds and mids, and too weak for netbooks...
    the only reason it was a sucess is because its cheap...

lrb wont have that advantage, and im starting to think itll have the same problems as atom, it wont really do great in either segment its targeted at...
    but we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post

yepp, i was wondering the same thing...
    its definately very suspicious...

Time will show
    maybe, but lrb definately has needed quite some patchwork and doesnt look that healthy...

Atom out sold iPhone
    Francois
    how much is intel making with 1 atom and how much is apple making with 1 iphone?
    Last edited by saaya; 09-24-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post

how much is intel making with 1 atom and how much is apple making with 1 iphone?
    our marging on Atom are higher than apple on iphone
    you sound like a fanboy recently, what happen?

Francois

Xtreme X.I.P.

Francois
    margin on atom is higher than on iphone... you mean percentage wise... well thats hard to tell since im sure the fab cost and r&d cost is not really calculated as a fee per processor, same for apple, but its definately much lower for apple since they outsource manufacturing...

and a high percentage margin is nice, but in the end what you want is to make a lot of money, so you want a high us$ margin per product... and there the iphone definately beats atom... and most iphone users LOVE their product and LOVE apple for it... while most atom users arent exactly in love with it and dont exactly worship intel for it either...

fanboy? or who or what?
    dont get what you mean...

I am Xtreme

Francois
    No he don't sound like a fanboy... just somone who eats a basket of lemons every day when he gets up.
    Every thing he posted recently in the last few months has a breeze of cynicism and negative vibes, regardelss which manufacturer.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 09-24-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Time will show

Maybe there are even more than that at the moment. It can be inacurate. I don't know exactly, but i wouldn call it an early prototype.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    No he don't sound like a fanboy... just somone who eats a basket of lemons every day when he gets up.
    Every thing he posted recently in the last few months has a breeze of cynicism and negative vibes, regardelss which manufacturer.
    True enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe there are even more than that at the moment. It can be inacurate. I don't know exactly, but i wouldn call it an early prototype.
    With all due respect, I don't know if you ever tried to work on a puzzle that have more than 1 billion parts ... this is what GPU are ... so, it is always easy from your screen point of view to write those kind of statements, never the less, I am sure you never even completed a Lego with 100 000 parts ;-)
    so, send us the picture of a 100 000 parts lego before you are "that" agressive.

so, put your ego back in your pocket, and show some respect for the people who are actually trying to build one of the most complexe machine ever build.

The point of the demo was to show that it is alive, I did not want to performance of it to be visible, neither the Big boss, so, that was perfect to allow no comparaison yet. This is like a young kid, it just standed up, don't ask it to run the fastest 100 meter yet. Carl Lewis crawled before he walk, and he walk before he smoke you at the 100 meter.

Thanks for understand that this kind of archivement don't get done over night.

Francois
    PS: I only used your ton to make you feel how we feel when you write this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Drwho?; 09-24-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With all due respect, I don't know if you ever tried to work on a puzzle that have more than 1 billion parts ... this is what GPU are ... so, it is always easy from your screen point of view to write those kind of statements, never the less, I am sure you never even completed a Lego with 100 000 parts ;-)
    so, send us the picture of a 100 000 parts lego before you are "that" agressive.

so, put your ego back in your pocket, and show some respect for the people who are actually trying to build one of the most complexe machine ever build.

The point of the demo was to show that it is alive, I did not want to performance of it to be visible, neither the Big boss, so, that was perfect to allow no comparaison yet. This is like a young kid, it just standed up, don't ask it to run the fastest 100 meter yet. Carl Lewis crawled before he walk, and he walk before he smoke you at the 100 meter.

Francois
    PS: I only used your ton to make you feel how we feel when you write this kind of thing.
    Dude, don't climb all up on the pity train now. There are many, many companies that produce many many products that get critisized just as much and more than this albatross. It's embarassing to watch you play the victim role! Seriously, it's simple, you've over promised and under delivered! No offense....

Xtreme Enthusiast

Francois
    So basically you're saying it's a bit e right now but the in the future, it will be a monster at 100m.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic co-processor, I'm just worried it will be a let down when it comes to gaming. If it was an add-on card for say havok+raytracing lite, then it would possibly be a good addition.

Perhaps with all that power it could be a physics, ray lite and sound card all in one?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    So basically you're saying it's a bit e right now but the in the future, it will be a monster at 100m.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic co-processor, I'm just worried it will be a let down when it comes to gaming. If it was an add-on card for say havok+raytracing lite, then it would possibly be a good addition.

Perhaps with all that power it could be a physics, ray lite and sound card all in one?
    he said they showed it was working and performance was not revealed, just like evergreen a little while back when demoing dx11. they were showing features, not performance.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey, you want my money. Why should I be sympathetic to your problems? Your SSDs and processors are well executed, but I doubt you will get any 'pity buys' for Larabee, unless of course it happens to be good; then they will be legitimate, earned buys. But I doubt anyone is waiting with baited breath.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    Dude, don't climb all up on the pity train now. There are many, many companies that produce many many products that get critisized just as much and more than this albatross. It's embarassing to watch you play the victim role! Seriously, it's simple, you've over promised and under delivered! No offense....
    wonder how they can under deliverd when we have seen nothing at all...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast