Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent 3DMark05 Record Discussion

Xtreme Legend

Recent 3DMark05 Record Discussion

Team Finland (Me and SF3D) was performing live overclocking together with AMD's Sami "macci" Mäkinen and Pete Hardman in XS CES 2009 party. We ran Phenom II X4 with liquid helium (-242 Celsius) @ 6,5 GHz and we were able to score 45474 in 3DMark05. It is currently #1 result in Futuremark's official hall of fame ranking:

http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/3dmark05

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A

---

Intel employee Francois Piednoel (Dr. Who) was also there with his Core i7-975 CPUs. Here are Intel results according to XS owner FUGGER:

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    On the Intel side was rather mild clocks of 5.3ish Ghz, I didnt watch the Intel side too much but I did try some more agressive clocks and no post, I will work on the golden chip in the morning to squeeze out the 6ghz milstone.
    ---

After math:

TG Daily writes an article AMD never did hold the highest 3DMark record where an Intel employee and well-known overclocker contacted TG Daily to point out that AMD actually never did hold the 3DMark record:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41244/128/

"Intel also pointed that AMD's entry on Futuremark only shows a 4.481 GHz clock speed (49% overclock), and not the 6.5 GHz shown in the video. But even more interesting than that, the Intel Core i7 entry on Futuremark Intel pointed us to shows their Model 940 2.93 GHz CPU only clocked at 3.693 GHz (a 26% overclock)."

Drwho?'s bashing in XtremeSystems Forums.

More trash talking from Francois about Phenom II X4 liquid helium tests in TG Daily comments:

Still can not catch an Aircooled Core 2 Quad or a Core i7 on 3DMark last version (Vantage)
    even at 6.5Ghz ... with Helium ... at -230C ...
    It shows how the process technology is behind.
    The world record of 3Dmark 05 (5 years old benchmark) is already back in Core i7 Quad hands ...

Nice marketing trick, but very bad new in term of process technology, you need liquid Helium to cool a Phenom II ... hummm hummmm

Francois
    PS: This is my personal opinion
    See post: Can't beat an aircooled Core i7 on 3DMark Vantage ....
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41204/113/#comments

---

Several things are wrong in allegations:

- Futuremark's ORB doesn't recognize Phenom II X4 or Core i7 clockspeeds correctly: Phenom II X4 was working @ 6,3 GHz and Core i7 940 @ 5,2 GHz.

- Boblemagnifique's 3DMark05 result 46644 was done using beta-version of Catalyst not approved by Futuremark. This causes it to be NOT valid and NOT fully comparable 3DMark result:

"Please note that this result has been produced using display drivers which have not been validated or approved by Futuremark and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame."

"By using the listed drivers and correct product version, you will get a valid and fully comparable 3DMark result."

See all details from Futuremark's 3DMark05 Approved Drivers site: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3...proveddrivers/

---

Update for clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i think bob would beat their score with official drivers anyways but he needs to rebench with official drivers to claim W.R. on HOF
    Yes I think so too and most likely he will do that soon. My post means nothing against Boblemagnifique. I've met him couple of times and he seems to be very nice guy.

My point is that there are now some false allegations being made by Intel employee and TG Daily has written a story about this subject.
    Last edited by Sampsa; 01-30-2009 at 03:22 AM.
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
    - Boblemagnifique's 3DMark05 result 46644 was done using beta-version of Catalyst not approved by Futuremark. This causes it to be NOT valid and NOT fully comparable 3DMark result:
    That is a load of BS. Futuremark is way to slow to update their approved drivers. Obviously, the driver was not hacked to obtain a higher score. Intel holds the WR, not AMD.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Some thoughts on that day from someone who isn't a bencher.
    I watched the demonstrations that were done by both groups and both were excellent.
    I totally understand your comments as they are coming in response to Francois Piednoel's comments on who did what.
    What I'd wish for in this community is that both sides could view this as most of us do and just let the numbers stand by themselves and have us all treat each other as friends.
    That in the long run means so much more than any numbers.
    Competition yes, but friendly competition.
    I'll tell you honestly that as much as I enjoyed the demonstration you put on what I will remember is the few minutes we got to talk.
    The older you get the more you realise that it is the people that matter and records are forgotten before the memory of the people you met.

As to Futuremark the only thing I can think of that will settle issues like this is for them not to accept any results from anyone with unapproved drivers.
    At the same time they should speed up the approval of drivers as they sometimes take months to do so.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    I know this. After seeing this, I will never trust AMD again.

Trying to claim a WR that was never achieved.

all outta gum
    I must admit I am disappointed with Francois', talking about friendly competition all the time and now this

I can also see this thread turning into a flame war before 2nd page.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post

Read again.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    That is a load of BS. Futuremark is way to slow to update their approved drivers. Obviously, the driver was not hacked to obtain a higher score. Intel holds the WR, not AMD.
    Sorry you are wrong. It was beta-driver.

Xtreme Mentor
    The "Intel employee" is Francois? Confirmed?
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    I wouldn't crucify AMD for claiming a world record.. I would only because of the fact that they thought they could.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow intel employee's is kinda being a baby, no approved drivers means no record. AMD is king in 05 at this time.
    i think those of you who thing otherwise should think about what your saying. you let one slide, then more will slide, who knows we could have people fudging drivers to obtain high scores and no one would care. "who cares about who or what drivers are used as long is the numbers are higher then the others" is what i see as happening.

face it AMD after a few years is hold a world record by following the rules. intel is
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Xtreme Addict
    that's pimp,
    lets see her run when you guys get a new driver going

ohh and congratz on a job well done
    Last edited by billdavis; 01-29-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Mentor

bothered clicking the links in the TS?
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Addict
    I really dont think WR's matter who cares AMD has a new chip and its good people need to get over it I like competition it means lower prices I dont care if someone has 200 more marks as long as both companies continue to produce "A "class chips shouldnt we all be happy
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Addict
    The fact remains that the top spot was Bob's by 1000 points before CES and after CES. Whether FM recognizes it or not is beside the point.

I take those WR's at their word until I have reason to believe different and that was proven beyond any shadow of a doubt.

This is the 3rd such stunt that's been pulled and exposed. Congrats AMD...3 strikes and you're out. I say again...I will never trust AMD again. It's over.

Xtreme Mentor
    Clearly the Intel employee was not happy with AMD at the top

Overclocking is supposed to be a friendly competition, right?
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
    Read again.
    Would you ask Forest Gump to read again?

Xtreme Addict
    I believe the blue team used 8.12hotfix driver, which basically is the 9.1 beta driver, or at least is quadcore optimized. And those drivers are really powerful compared to older drivers.
    Intel shouldn't be ing. If things where the other way around, they would say/claim that they have a legit Futuremark approved score and AMD would not.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The fact remains that the top spot was Bob's by 1000 points before CES and after CES. Whether FM recognizes it or not is beside the point.

I take those WR's at their word until I have reason to believe different and that was proven beyond any shadow of a doubt.

This is the 3rd such stunt that's been pulled and exposed. Congrats AMD...3 strikes and you're out. I say again...I will never trust AMD again. It's over.
    not with this guy around. let me go fudge some drivers so i can get 100000 in 05 what then?
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Xtreme Addict

Are you confused or am I?

I thought this topic was about AMD hitting 6.5 ghz (TC specifically yes?) and it getting denied. Not that they tried to cheat.

Xtreme Mentor

It's not a stunt. It's a confirmed record.
    There are plenty of people who were THERE to witness it.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Legend

jackass

they did take the W.R. there and then
    slaps you on the back of the head lol

true FM W.R. is with FM approved drivers
    i think bob would beat their score with official drivers anyways but he needs to rebench with official drivers to claim W.R. on HOF
    Last edited by dinos22; 01-29-2009 at 04:47 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Mentor

tbh i wonder what you would say if it was the other way around.

If AMD had reached a top score with beta drivers and Intel scored 1k lower with official drivers.

but yeah who cares if the WR is at a Futuremark bench and the makers of the bench dont recognize it.

like knightwolf654 says there is a reason scores are only officially recognized with official drivers.
    When the drivers r official Intel can redo the bench and try to get top spot.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Please, dont quote this retard, my mute wont work with that. Ignore his comments, its the best you can do or you can get your brain affected too.

Xtreme Addict
    yesyes, intel doesn't like when amd's at the top and amd doesn't like when intel is at the top.
    can we please get over this?

Xtreme Legend
    heheh good point Slovnaft

the truth of the matter is that AMD still has no chance of competing against Intel for W.R. seriously

they need to go back to their labs and work some more on efficiency
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast