Thread: TRUE 120 orientation with AM2 mounting bracket

Xtreme Member

TRUE 120 orientation with AM2 mounting bracket

I noticed that on intel chipsets with the different mounting system than that on the AM2 it is possible to rotate/orientate the TRUE so u can mount it both horizontally and vertically. Can someone please tell me is the same possible on an Am2 mounting system as well? Id check for myself but to unmount the TRUE i need to pull out the mbo and im seriously sick atm (flew) so.... any insight is highly appreciated
    5000+ BE - lapped @ 3250 MHz @ 1.42v / 24/7
    TRUE 120 - lapped + 120mm Scythe Slipstream 1900 RPM
    Gigabyte MA 790FX-DQ6 on F5 BIOS
    2x1 GB Corsair DOMINATOR PC8500 + 2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ 930 MHz CL5 2.14v
    Corsair HX 520W
    Sapphire HD 3870 BLUE + accelero S1 + 2 x 120mm @ 890/1300 unlocked bios / stock voltage
    RAID 0 - Seagate 2 x 250GB 7200.10 sata II 16MB c.
    Coolermaster CM690
    Dual Boot: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 + XP SP3 x86

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You can only mount it horizontally.
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 50mm f/1.2L | Canon 135mm f/2L | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 | Crumpler 7MDH | Hitech filters + Lee Foundation Kit | B+W filters)
    Hasselblad 201F (Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 CF | 2x A12 Back | Domke F-4AF)
    Nikon F3HP (Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2)

Xtreme Member
    Thought so, thx for the fast reply. Last time Ill ever buy a thermalright product.
    2x1 GB Corsair DOMINATOR PC8500 + 2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ 930 MHz CL5 2.14v
    Corsair HX 520W
    Sapphire HD 3870 BLUE + accelero S1 + 2 x 120mm @ 890/1300 unlocked bios / stock voltage
    Coolermaster CM690

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -= rtz =- View Post
    Thought so, thx for the fast reply. Last time Ill ever buy a thermalright product.
    this is not thermalright's fault. find one good cpu cooler that lets you mount it both ways. the am2 mounting system is what is at fault. to put the clip across the cooler you would need to go right through the heat pipes. and with it having so many large heatpipes you just can't fit a clip in there. people have had the same issues with many other coolers for am2 as well. and if you have a bottom mounted psu case with top exhausts most of the time it is better performing in that way. lets just hope that am3 has a better more versatile mounting system although im not counting on it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    this is not thermalright's fault. find one good cpu cooler that lets you mount it both ways. the am2 mounting system is what is at fault. to put the clip across the cooler you would need to go right through the heat pipes. and with it having so many large heatpipes you just can't fit a clip in there. people have had the same issues with many other coolers for am2 as well. and if you have a bottom mounted psu case with top exhausts most of the time it is better performing in that way. lets just hope that am3 has a better more versatile mounting system although im not counting on it.
    That is only one of the resents i hold for this cooler. When I was buying it the cooler came with only 1 fan retention clip and an extremly concave base, lapping was a real pitta. The price of 60 euro which it was back then in my country just wasnt justified IMHO. And as for thermalright as a company i allready had a bad experience with their ram cooler (the one mounting with the thermal tape). I know what ur saying but I cant stop thinking that a good craftsman/modder with the proper tools (CNC, lathe) and some soldering skills could make a metal bracket which would enable vertical mounting on am2. A cross-like pattern maybe which would go in a reversed U shape on both ends or a horse-shoe shaped bracket which would go arround the pipes and not thru them.
    Corsair HX 520W
    Coolermaster CM690

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    Zalman 9500
    amd 720
    M4A78T-E
    i gig of crap
    visionek 4850
    seagate 320 GB 7200.10
    WD 640 GB
    swiftech MCR320 swiftech MCP355
    Apogee GTZ
    XPSC Restop

Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    I can say one thing I learned out of all this, I am not buying any Intel SSDs thats for sure...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    + Noctua NH-U12P....

To mount TRUE the proper way, the clip does not have to pass through the heatpipes...Just needs a proper metal mounting plate passing the heatpipes by side, bolting on a proper AM2 back-plate...Or a Noctua-type mounting kit...

I guess they didn't bother to develop one since the original mounting works fine...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin2 View Post
    Zalman 9500
    its not a good cpu cooler tho. thats a 92mm cpu cooler. im talking like at least top 25 cpu coolers but that one falls way short. believe me because i have one siting in my comp right next to me. a TRUE would blow it out of the water along with most other 92mm cpu coolers and all 120mm cpu coolers destroy it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    I guess they didn't bother to develop one since the original mounting works fine...
    Yes, it works fine untill u want to cool your ram sticks, the ones in slot 1 and 2. Also if ur "lucky" like me to have a Corsair Dominator pair of sticks with tall heatsinks you can forget about mounting them in the first 2 slots... even if i cut off a bit of the sinks to fit there cooling them would probably be very difficult or impossible. So you need to use slots 3 and 4 (at least on my DQ6), which is a big risk for many people that can cause an avalanche of problems.
    The one specific problem which i have with this setup (dominators in sl. 3 and 4) is that after power outage or unplugging the power cord the board refuses to boot if there is no memory in first 2 slots Luckily I also have 2 GB of ballistix with low profile heatsinks which can fit in the problematic slots but constantly reseating ram sticks is not something I prefer to do. Vertical mount would solve all my problems but i guess i just have to buy a better cooler that will justify its price. Thermalwrong could have at least make 2 versions then, if intel guys are paying the same amount of money for 2-way mounting they get more out of this product for the same money as us, which I consider to be unfair.
    Last edited by -= rtz =-; 12-20-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    Corsair HX 520W
    Coolermaster CM690

Xtreme Addict
    i still think that there is no way thermalright is responsible for this. i ordered an ocz vendetta a few months back without really even looking at it. then while it was being shipped i was thinking to myself if it would even mount vertically. turns out when i get it nope it doesn't. there are just so many coolers that way because its hard to get a good mount on am2 when mounting vertically. its not like you can't do anything about it. people have made their own mounting plate so you can mount them vertically. just you will have to make it urself.

Xtreme Member
    When you pay as much money as the TRUE costs, it should work in both orientations no matter what socket type you have. Zalman has been doing this for years, ever since they made the 9500. It doesnt cost that much extra to freaking make another bracket so that you can mount the damn expensive ass cooler whatever way you want for your case. Really though the TRUE is just bad engeniering from a mounting stand point. Take a look at Zalman, ZeroTherm, Scythe, they all have good mounting systems for both intel and AMD, and most of the time they cost less than the expensive thermalright stuff.

rtz, check out the ZeroTherm Nirvana NV 120. It has the proper mount so that you can mount the cooler sideways or vertical. It still might mess with your first 2 ram slots, but i think you could cut or bend the little part of the fins that stick out there to get your ram to fit right.