Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AbelJemka View Post
    Why don't you let our guys speculate? If you're not interested about those speculations leave this thread and wait January 8th
    Speculation is all fine and dandy, but a lot of things here are said as being fact while there is absolutely nothing written in stone at the moment.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Mentor
    Why don't you let our guys speculate? If you're not interested about those speculations leave this thread and wait January 8th
    Have you ever think that maybe we are more interested than you in P2, but we just don't swallow the FUD? Do you remember Phenom launch? Let's not repeat the same failures over and over again

"FUD and speculation are the path to the dark side. FUD leads to false illusion. False illusion leads to desesperation. Desesperation leads to suffering". Oh wait, where have I heard that? The master speaks truth.

In two words: get real.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Well there was a sickening amount of speculation about nehalem, and IMO it was a bit of a fizzle.

I'm siked for AMD if it pans out, i need more stuff to play with.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcape View Post
    I'm siked for AMD if it pans out, i need more stuff to play with.
    What's 'siked'? I think you mean psyched, if so the me too. I can't wait to build my new rig next year, all I have to do now is get a job and earn some money....
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Have you ever think that maybe we are more interested than you in P2, but we just don't swallow the FUD? Do you remember Phenom launch? Let's not repeat the same failures over and over again

"FUD and speculation are the path to the dark side. FUD leads to false illusion. False illusion leads to desesperation. Desesperation leads to suffering". Oh wait, where have I heard that? The master speaks truth.

In two words: get real.
    You feel the need, you and others to come and save us from "swallowing the FUD"?
    It seems you really underestimate XS members's capacity to separate facts and speculations.
    AMD Phenom II X2 550@Phenom II X4 B50
    MSI 890GXM-G65
    Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB
    Sapphire HD 6950 2GB

Xtreme Addict
    Can you run these in the current dual socket boards?

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Addict
    You feel the need, you and others to come and save us from "swallowing the FUD"?
    It seems you really underestimate XS members's capacity to separate facts and speculations.
    LOL, QFT!

Most of the people "getting real" swallowed the i7 hype so easily. Hypocrites anonymous unitus!

Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    Can you run these in the current dual socket boards?
    Nope. I hope they'll make the FX run on a new 4x4 board or something like that, as I'm rather attracted to building a Gainestown system for rendering.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    What's 'siked'? I think you mean psyched, if so the me too. I can't wait to build my new rig next year, all I have to do now is get a job and earn some money....
    Yeah I know how to spell it, but I prefer the phonetic spelling because the correct spelling looks gross. It's silly, but it's the only case I do that.

You are on the same page as me, the more good options the better.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    LOL, QFT!

Most of the people "getting real" swallowed the i7 hype so easily. Hypocrites anonymous unitus!

Indeed. Some rumors and speculation are A-OK, as long as it's pro Intel...

How about everyone stop complaining about every single rumor and just accept that some of them WILL be accurate. If you yourself are incapable of figuring out what's accurate and what's not, that's fine. But don't drag the rest of us down with you.

Some people here are capable of thinking for themselves... Keep the whining to yourselves IMO, or post something moderately constructive that attacks the actual rumor. Crying isn't going to make i7 more attractive, sorry guys.

If 3.6GHz is average on air that's better than my Q6600, 3.2GHz @ 1.45v under water
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    Crying isn't going to make i7 more attractive, sorry guys.
    Trust me, nobody's "crying" over i7. No need to be sorry, i7 is already quite attractive as it is. Let's see what has it been now a week and half since reelase? We've already seen 5.3Ghz OC's, 4.3GHz OC's on air? Yep, and it will only get better as people tweak and learn more.

The same thing will go for AMD's offering when they release it. It will get better as time goes on, but as far as numbers...
    Last edited by T_Flight; 11-23-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Trust me, nobody's "crying" over i7. No need to be sorry, i7 is already quite attractive as it is. Let's see what has it been now a week and half since reelase? We've already seen 5.3Ghz OC's, 4.3GHz OC's on air? Yep, and it will only get better as people tweak and learn more.

The same thing will go for AMD's offering when they release it. It will get better as time goes on, but as far as numbers...
    I'm just tired of the Intel-fan damage control. And you must talk to different people than I, because it seems a fair bit of people are upset that i7 isn't what they expected.

Now i7 IS exactly what I expected, an improvement upon Yorkfield. My point is, that it's not anything revolutionary, just evolutionary. Yet people want to make out as if AMD has no chance at competing.

If people are truly confident in their chosen company this round, I guess they shouldn't need the damage control at all... Odd that it's around.

The fact remains ,that Phenom II isn't out yet, so all we're going to have is rumors, speculation, and the occasional solid fact. So as a forum, we can either just not talk about PhII at all until it comes out... Or talk about it and debate.

I like the debate idea myself, and I'm sure you do as well sir.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 11-23-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm just tired of the Intel-fan damage control. And you must talk to different people than I, because it seems a fair bit of people are upset that i7 isn't what they expected.

Now i7 IS exactly what I expected, an improvement upon Yorkfield. My point is, that it's not anything revolutionary, just evolutionary. Yet people want to make out as if AMD has no chance at competing.

If people are truly confident in their chosen company this round, I guess they shouldn't need the damage control at all... Odd that it's around.

The fact remains ,that Phenom II isn't out yet, so all we're going to have is rumors, speculation, and the occasional solid fact. So as a forum, we can either just not talk about PhII at all until it comes out... Or talk about it and debate.

Very good points there

Banned
    I think it odder that you believe reasonable comments about Phenom II are coming from people who have "chosen company's" and that their comments are "damage control".

So on the one hand you like debate but then attempt to stifle it?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    I think it odder that you believe reasonable comments about Phenom II are coming from people who have "chosen company's" and that their comments are "damage control".

So on the one hand you like debate but then attempt to stifle it?

I think it yet odder that you believe you know which specific posters/posts I refer to.

I don't think ANYONE should be stifled. But I think asking for others to be stifled... Should be stifled. If that paradoxically makes any sense at all.

Phenom II might come out and be utter garbage for all I know, I wasn't at the AMD event. But so far the rumors seem pretty solid and look VERY promising.
    I think select people may be a bit blinded by their like for Intel/dislike for AMD is all. All I want, my "mission" posting right now if you will, is for this discussion
    to continue along.

Hope to not peeve anyone off, that's why I leave out names. I don't want to be "that guy" who has to pick on everyone and be a jerk. I'm merely rather strong
    headed if you will, so please, try not to read TOO far into my comments.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 11-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    I think you should probably read it like : "Just got it!"
    Oh wow, he can do that folks. Me want one too.

Banned
    I think it yet odder that you believe you know which specific posters/posts I refer to.
    I would think your quoting and responding to T_Flight, might be a pointer here.

Xtreme Addict
    I think at this point its clear that Deneb is going to be far more than any of us believed it would be. Thats what all the exitement is over so there is just no need for anyone to try and convince us otherwise.
    Looking back on this thread I dont recal anyone stating that Deneb will be better than i7, there have been some if its better statement but on the other hand there have been plenty of posts saying i7 is better. Realy most of this has been one sided as far as forcing opinions on to others goes.

It realy dont matter to me personaly if i7 is a far better than Deneb because I can upgrade to Deneb with only a CPU purchase therefore it will be quite some time before I will be buying i7...........just dont have the money for it these days.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    I would think your quoting and responding to T_Flight, might be a pointer here.
    Oh, well that's because my post was directed at him, but not necessarily in reference to him.

I don't mean to imply that HE HIMSELF is a fanboy or doing any of the things I've talked about. I apologize for the confusion and I see where you're coming from better now.

Same to you T_Flight, please don't take my post that way. It was not written nor intended that way. Believe me, if I had something to say, I'd say it. But I think you're a fine poster.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 11-23-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    The Hype has been built up pretty BIG, lets hope AMD can deliver like they did on the 4800's, even if they dont come out on top, this is a good sign that they are headed in the right direction, but why it took so long no one knows.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    I think at this point its clear that Deneb is going to be far more than any of us believed it would be. Thats what all the exitement is over so there is just no need for anyone to try and convince us otherwise.
    Looking back on this thread I dont recal anyone stating that Deneb will be better than i7, there have been some if its better statement but on the other hand there have been plenty of posts saying i7 is better. Realy most of this has been one sided as far as forcing opinions on to others goes.

It realy dont matter to me personaly if i7 is a far better than Deneb because I can upgrade to Deneb with only a CPU purchase therefore it will be quite some time before I will be buying i7...........just dont have the money for it these days.
    I think something that has been forgotten in the various discussions about Deneb is that it will be the Penryn Quads that it will be competing against first and foremost, rather than i7.

Not only that, but for many people looking to get a new computer from scratch, the E8400 and E8500 will also be a direct rival.

For those who already have an AM2 motherboard, then Deneb will be particularly tempting.

Xtreme Member
    is there any comparison phenom2 vs. core i7 ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Thanks to tbone8ty in AMD section who posted the link,we have a couple of new bench and OC results for ES 940 from here:
    http://markbench.blogspot.com/2008/1...ith-deneb.html
    Seems pretty impressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Extelleron View Post
    I have to classify the 3dmark results there as "too good to be true." Something is messed up there.

The CPU Queen result looks very good but more in line with reality; if these results are accurate, Deneb will be slightly faster/clk than Yorkfield in that bench.
    Well I think yorkfield may be a little ahead, at least based on my quick runs....

Q9550 @ 4Ghz

Q9550 @ 4.25Ghz

Xtreme Addict
    Oh, well that's because my post was directed at him, but not necessarily in reference to him.

I don't mean to imply that HE HIMSELF is a fanboy or doing any of the things I've talked about. I apologize for the confusion and I see where you're coming from better now.

Same to you T_Flight, please don't take my post that way. It was not written nor intended that way. Believe me, if I had something to say, I'd say it. But I think you're a fine poster.

No problems here. Everything is cool with me. I hope everybody gets along here, and has a good time with this stuff. Yeah, I got a big huge Intel Core i7 avatar and I'm proud of it, but I am looking at the AMD stuff stuff to becasue it's interesting.

What got me mad the other day was when another individual (who will remain nameless) started stuff up like "the Intel boys are coming into the AMD section to check out IMC's". Now that is a bunch of horse****. That is fanboism at it's very worst. That's the one time over the last couple of days I have gotten really mad, but there was alot more to it than that.

I'm pretty low key most of the time. That's why I like discussions like this. This is constructive. We will see these. I expect by January or February. It just seems like stuff is "ramping up" now, so it's got to be close. Motherboards are showing up so this is no paper tiger anymore. It is coming. I'm just kinda hanging around these threads becasue it's interesting, and hope to see some numbers soon.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I posted this in amd section,but might as well here since more people reads news.
    They did update the blog with Crysis Warhead numbers(4870X2 used and only Deneb @ stock 3Ghz for now):
    http://markbench.blogspot.com/2008/1...ead-deneb.html

Anyone knows what numbers C2Q@3Ghz or Core i7 @3-3.2Ghz show in this game and resolution settings with 4870X2?
    I have the HW and the game, I could run it for you... are you still interested in seeing it ... both 3.0 GHz C2Q and Core i7 3.2 GHz... on 4870 X2.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast