Thread: First wc run questions

Xtreme Member

First wc run questions

I finally got some time to install the last part of my wc setup with is as followed:

Rad: PA 120.3
    CPU: DD tdx (old version)
    GPU: DD maze 5 (chrome )
    Pump: ddc 9w with xpsc restop

The radiator is on the top of the case and the pump is on the middle plate of an lianli v2110, and the loop goes like: pump -> rad -> cpu -> gpu -> pump.
    The pump is on the bottom of the loop.

It has to cool the following:
    CPU: AMD x2 4800
    GPU 3870 toxic

It isn't the best but i's a upgrade to me and I don't need al that much power but I do got some questions.

It was absolute murder to bleed the system en when I finally get it bubble free an without a lot of noise it's fine but when I turn the pc on i makes a lot of noise from air in some places. How can I fix this?

I haven't got a hdd so could only go to the BIOS to check the temps but the CPU was 34 degrees and i was kinda disappointed, the ambient was 25 degrees and there was no difference with fans on max flow or min flow (zalman fan controller). I had expected something below 30 even with these hot ambient temps. Is this an ok temp ore not and what is holding it back? Could it be an bad mount ore the limitations of the old tdx block?

Xtreme Member
    I hear ya about the bubbles but there really isn't much you can do but wait. It could help if you tap your pump a few times before you power on to knock loose some bubbles. But that might not work.

Those temps are a bit high for idle. I think the reason is the old tdx. The old tdx is really best for single core cpus. Since your running a X2 I assume thats the problem. The main improvement in water cooling is your load temps, so if those are really disappointing, then I would say its time for a upgrade. In most cases you wouldn't really don't need a $70 block. From what I've heard most of today's block only have a few degrees difference. So if your low on cash something like a Apogee GT would most likely yield a big difference your you.
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus II Formula
    CPU: Q6600
    Memory: 2x2Gb G.Skill 1066
    Graphics: Sapphire HD 5850
    Power Supply: Corsair 620HX
    Audio: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    W/ Sennheiser HD 555 & Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    Display: Asus VW266H
    Cooling: Apogee XT, EK FC-5850, MCP-655, TFC 360, EK Res

Xtreme Member
    paste? nozzle kit? which way is ur tdx mounted?? IHS removal maybe..?
    PTS,NCIX,PPCS *recommended*
    - "Illusive Perceptions" - July-August 08 -
    DFI LanParty UT->SLI
    X2-3800 LCBIE 0618EPMW / AS5 / IHS Removed
    EVGA 8600GTS SLi ! w/ FuZion GFX rev2
    OCZ PlAtREV2. 2GB TCCD's | X-FI XTREME-FATALITY
    CM 600W DUO | DD WaterWOODbox MODDED
    UV1/2"LRT tubing.TDX Lapped.BIP120.2,yateLoons,
    ddc.2+petras top, dd dfi nb block , dual uv

Xtreme Member
    Seriously mate, treat yourself and get an EK Supreme or D-Tek Fuzion v2. I'm sure you would be more than happy with the temps.
    Even so those temps sound high to me, how much thermal paste did u use?

EDIT: Under air (Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia) in a very warm room my X2 5200 is at 52(core1) and 54(core2). Oh and it running wcg and folding@home
    Last edited by Lloyd; 07-26-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Rig 1: Intel i7 2600K | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 C8 | Asus GTX 580 | 1x Corsair F3 240GB | 1x WD 1TB Black | Asus Xonar D2X | Silverstone TJ07 | BigNG | Corsair HX1000 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 2: Intel QX6700 | Asus Maximus II Formula | 8GB Corsair DDR2 |HIS 4870 1GB | 3x 500GB F1 RAID0 | X-FI Fatal1ty | CM-690 II |Corsair HX750 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 3: Intel E6850 @ 3.6GHz Fuzion V2| Asus Maximus Extreme | Full EK NB/SB/Fets | 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1800| EVGA 8800GTX KO EKFC8800GTX |2x WD640GB RAID0 | Laing DDC3.2 w/Petra top | 120.2 BIX | 120.2 BIS | EK 150 Res | BigNG | X-Fi Fatal1ty | Akasa Eclipse |

| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 on all |

Xtreme Member
    OK, i already thought something like the TDX block being outdated and build for single core.
    I'm kind of a DD fan so i probably go for an MC tdx Ore a fuzion v1 or v2.

Xtreme Mentor
    Pump, cpu, GPU, rad would alllow all air to collect in the rad where you can use the bleed screw in your PA120.3 to remove it.
    The way it is now has at least two bubble traps.
    No mention of reservoir or T-line. Have either?

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Member
    @ RRR: I like the look op the black supreme but i always thought it liked alot of flow and i only have a 9w ddc pump.

@ Jedda: I have a XSPC reservoir top for the ddc pump but no t-line ore so.

I used the bleed screw on the PA120.3 an filled the resevoir up to the top and it seems te be better now. I do see some bubble's come uit of the loop (small ones) but becasue the reservoir inlet is so clase to the pump intake it looks like it's sucking the bubbles right back into the loop.

Is there anything to do about it ore isn't it a big problem?

Xtreme Mentor
    Do you have a vario pump? If so slow it down and the bubbles will find it easier to flow to the top before being sucked in. Or you can pinch the hose a bit to slow flow for a day or two.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    No vario pump, it's one of the first simpel ddc pumps. But I'm now running silent and bubble free, it only is noise when i first start it i can especially hear the bubbles from the radiator (highest point).

The EK Supreme needs a decent amount head pressure. Its an impingement jet block.

However, anyone who says that only head pressure is important and flow is not needed needs to get their heads checked.

The whole concept behind the DDC-2 Modified Top was to sacrifice some head pressure for more flow. The DDC 3.2 is a pump with weaker head pressure but the concept behind the modified tops is the same. The DDC-1 9W still has decent head pressure. The whole idea behind the D5 Modified Top is to sacrifice some flow for more head pressure.

Both head pressure and flow are needed.
    Last edited by IanY; 07-27-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Xtreme Member
    can you try pump cpu gpu rad, then tell me what temps you get?
    also the reseat/paste job may improve it.
    PTS,NCIX,PPCS *recommended*
    - "Illusive Perceptions" - July-August 08 -
    DFI LanParty UT->SLI
    X2-3800 LCBIE 0618EPMW / AS5 / IHS Removed
    EVGA 8600GTS SLi ! w/ FuZion GFX rev2
    OCZ PlAtREV2. 2GB TCCD's | X-FI XTREME-FATALITY
    CM 600W DUO | DD WaterWOODbox MODDED
    UV1/2"LRT tubing.TDX Lapped.BIP120.2,yateLoons,
    ddc.2+petras top, dd dfi nb block , dual uv

Xtreme Member
    I'll try an reseat of the cpu, I don't think it will make a big difference and i used a piece of copper pipe to get the tube management nice and clean.