Thread: "HDT" CPU Coolers new reinging champs?

Xtreme Member

"HDT" CPU Coolers new reinging champs?

I've been considering going WC or top of the line HSF, but given my current financial situation I can rule out WC...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=9

That review doesn't give the TRUE much love, are HDT cooler really that good? I searched but couldn't any empirical data here on the forums... Please post your thoughts, OCs and temps if you have a HDT CPU cooler.

Xtreme Guru
    You have to ignore that review, as its terrible. Half of those heatsinks are exactly the same ones. The TRUE still beats the Xigmatek coolers with the HDT however, its marginal.

I also got a chance to review the red scorpion the other day, and its quite awesome. Xigmatek is probably one of the most exciting new company's to the USA market right now.

For some comparison to that chart, the OCZ Vendetta is the HDT-S983, and the OCZ Vendetta 2 is comparable the HDT-S1283, as is several other comparable models on that first review you linked.
    Last edited by Spawne32; 04-22-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Oh wow, lots of coolers tested there... Infact you even tested my current HS, the Scythe Mine.

So a lapped TRUE is still top dog? Also, do you know if any yet to be released HDT HSs will utilize more than three heatpipes, if so do you believe they would perform better?

Thanks for the input.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy22 View Post
    Oh wow, lots of coolers tested there... Infact you even tested my current HS, the Scythe Mine.

So a lapped TRUE is still top dog? Also, do you know if any yet to be released HDT HSs will utilize more than three heatpipes, if so do you believe they would perform better?

Thanks for the input.

They will be released. It's just a matter of time. Why you ask? Well it's possible to put 3 - 8mm in diamiter or 4 - 6mm in diamiter in the base.... But it's possible to make a heatpipe 'sandwich'. I mean you can put 3 heatpipes on direct touch, and next 3 on top of them. The three ones on the top won't be so effective, but overall performance will grow for sure. Of course you have to add some more airlow loss caused by more heatpipes.... My guess? performance WILL grow, though.
    Pentax k10d and a backpack of lenses...

My flickr

-AK

Spawne32, That TRUE that you have tested was not lapped right? So there's possibility that difference could have been greater than 2c+ with lapped TRUE?

Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    You have to ignore that review, as its terrible. Half of those heatsinks are exactly the same ones. The TRUE still beats the Xigmatek coolers with the HDT however, its marginal.

I also got a chance to review the red scorpion the other day, and its quite awesome. Xigmatek is probably one of the most exciting new company's to the USA market right now.

For some comparison to that chart, the OCZ Vendetta is the HDT-S983, and the OCZ Vendetta 2 is comparable the HDT-S1283, as is several other comparable models on that first review you linked.
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-750
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
    CPU HEATSINK: Corsair Hydro Series™ H50
    MISC. HEATSINK: Enzotech BMR-C1, MOS-C1 and Zalman ZM-NB47J
    T.I.M.: TIM-Consultants - T-C Grease™ 0098
    MEMORY:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    GFX: MSI N260GTX OC
    PSU: Corsair HX620 /w NZXT PSU Extender
    CASE: Silverstone SG06-B || Antec MX-1
    MONITOR: Dell E228WFPc

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    Spawne32, That TRUE that you have tested was not lapped right? So there's possibility that difference could have been greater than 2c+ with lapped TRUE?
    All of the heatsinks i tested were retail, no modifications, in the case of the ones that dont include fans in the retail package, i used either a low speed yate loon or a medium speed yate loon, and the model #'s of the fans are listed next to the names on the charts for verification. Also listed next to the names are the direction the fan was mounted.

Meaning if lapping both TRUE and IHS yielded 10c(I know I'm shooting high but some people got that result) difference, it could have been close to 13c difference between S1283 and TRUE right?
    Last edited by HaxEJxuK; 04-22-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Holy repost!

Xtreme Guru
    Yes...

ha, it's almost like IMing now
    Wants to make me cry now that I didn't think of this before I never thought about if TRUE was lapped or not. Hmmmmm makes me think to sell RS1283 to my colleague when I get it and get TRUE with s-flex f for like $70

Xtreme Guru
    ha, it's almost like IMing now
    Wants to make me cry now that I didn't think of this before I never thought about if TRUE was lapped or not. Hmmmmm makes me think to sell RS1283 to my colleague when I get it and get TRUE with s-flex f for like $70
    hold out until the summer, thats when the heatsink showdown 2 starts

Xtreme Addict
    Should lap the Tuniq aswell. The factory finish isnt very good but once lapped it will drop temps by 2-3 degrees putting it just behind the 120 Extreme which is where it is in terms of performance.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    Should lap the Tuniq aswell. The factory finish isnt very good but once lapped it will drop temps by 2-3 degrees putting it just behind the 120 Extreme which is where it is in terms of performance.
    You could modify any of the heatsinks on that chart and raise their position, but doing just one isnt fair to the rest, thats the reason why they are all stock during that kind of test.

Xtreme Member
    Where do I begin with this...

To start, I am the author of Best CPU Cooler Performance - Q1 2008 and conducted all of the testing.

It's surprising that Rob aka spawne would assert that my review is terrible, when he has not tested the Vendetta 2, Noctua NH-U12P, or any of the Kingwin coolers. Additionally, in his own tests the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 perfoms nearly the same. So is it unreasonable that OCZ's improved design in the Vendetta 2 has outperformed the poor surface finish, mounting system, and nickel plating? Not at all.

Here's a list of other review sites that have discovered that the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme is not as good as Spawne would try and convince you.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...id=45&Itemid=1
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=3268&p=5
    http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=166004
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...96&articID=633
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ndetta_2/4.htm

Oh, hey, Spawne, did you bother to test the TRUE with the exact same fan as you tested the Xigmatek HDT-S1283? We did.
    Benchmark Reviews Executive Editor

Xtreme Addict
    I recall Frostytech has the TRU beating the TRUE.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Member
    It's amazing that so many people can be hellbent on learning thermal dynamics and yet idolize one of the worst specimens of thermal cooling I've found. Nickel plated heat-pipe rods? Better look up the thermal conductivity of nickel people, because it's essentially trapping the heat inside the rod and doesn't transfer as well as bare copper to the heatsink fins. Surface finish? I've seen roads that were paved smoother. Seriously, it's a scientific marvel that it could ever be held so popular, which makes it all the much better than I've found six other coolers that all perform on a higher level.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    I recall Frostytech has the TRU beating the TRUE.
    And that's because they used different fans and had different testing conditions, they explain all of that in the review for the TRUE...
    Which is another reason I don't pay attention to their reviews...
    My new Intel build, logged here.

WE GO PLAY HOOP
    -Barry

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
    It's amazing that so many people can be hellbent on learning thermal dynamics and yet idolize one of the worst specimens of thermal cooling I've found. Nickel plated heat-pipe rods? Better look up the thermal conductivity of nickel people, because it's essentially trapping the heat inside the rod and doesn't transfer as well as bare copper to the heatsink fins. Surface finish? I've seen roads that were paved smoother. Seriously, it's a scientific marvel that it could ever be held so popular, which makes it all the much better than I've found six other coolers that all perform on a higher level.
    Have you everconsidered that they don't nickel plate till after the heatsink is fully assembled? thus giving copper to copper direct contact. It is obivious that you have no experience in manufacturing processes. And before you stick your foot farther down your throat, I have over 30+ years in manufacturing experience, quality control, and testing methods, and prototyping. I'll trust spawne32 results.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    Have you everconsidered that they don't nickel plate till after the heatsink is fully assembled? thus giving copper to copper direct contact. It is obivious that you have no experience in manufacturing processes. And before you stick your foot farther down your throat, I have over 30+ years in manufacturing experience, quality control, and testing methods, and prototyping. I'll trust spawne32 results.
    I'm so glad you just discredited yourself. If you pull one of the fins up or off, you'll find a nickel-plated copper rod, not bare copper.

On top of all that, nickel plating AFTER the assemply just makes it that much worse... nickel is a VERY POOR thermal conductor. Essentially, the nickel is coating the unit and acting as a thermal wrap which keeps the heat trapped in.

Excellent logic, way to show your strengths.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Lets give you the facts on manufacturing and economy of motion as it applies to manufacturing. 1) It is more cost effective to assemble the entire unit and electro plate it after assembly, than to electroplate 100+ fins 5 tubes and a copper base. 2) electroplating much like power coating will in fact fill any space or void 3) why plate first then assemble and risk scratching and destroying the plating. The only one that has discredited himself is you.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Admin
    1) All results can be correct (and probably are)...unfortunately all HSFs do not perform equally, even when mass produced.

2) Attacking each other will NOT stand here.

3) Das Capitolin, your sig is against forum rules. So is your avatar now that I look at it...