Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best gaming mouse and keyboard?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://peecee.dk/uploads/022008/xx1.jpg There is your link that gives the mice that pro gamers use. There is a reason they use the mice and there is a reason they use the low DPI
    Quote Originally Posted by IYP
    impecible reasoning....the jedi mind skills of the stupid people are overwhelming....but they shall not assimilate me!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by .sentinel View Post
    LOL There are so many inaccuracies in your post it is not even funny.

First, You don't get wrist strain from moving the mouse a freaking 2 inches. Why do you think most "pro" gamers use mousepads that are any where from 11 inches wide to the amazing 17 inches wide. Because THEY WORK. You get more accuracy and better control the slower your mouse is. You don't need the 4000 dpi NEW G9. I am using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical at 400 dpi and when I had my Deathadder I was using 450 DPI. Most pros use 400-800 DPI for a REASON.

Second, I have a G15 and I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER used the Macro keys. Even playing WoW it was simpler to press 5 2 3 1 1 1 5 4 2 3 3 then have a macro that I could never stop. There is no reason to use more than maybe 5 macros.

Third, you say that for maximum accuracy to enable Enhanced Pointer Precision. That means you are turning on mouse acceleration which makes your sensitivity vary based on the speed of the mouse. This hurts accuracy not improves it.

You *CAN* stop macros.

And you might not get wrist strain so good for you. I have arthritis so I need minimal movement on my mouse.

And most *PRO* gamers actually use the fastest mouse they can find. Not a single person is going to use a 450 DPI mouse on a 2048 wide resolution.

And the benefit of bigger gaming mousepads is that you have the freedom to postition your mouse wherever it is easiest to use.

You fail and grossly underestimating the benefits of a faster mouse for gaming on higher resolutions.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    You *CAN* stop macros.
    of course u can! (psst, i think its user error )

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    of course u can! (psst, i think its user error )

User error from someone using a 450 DPI mouse, and wasting money on a G15 never ever to use macros

I went from a Microsoft Intellimouse to a Razor Diamondback and the difference was phenomenol. I have pinpoint accuracy with it at full speed in everything I do, and it is far better then the crappy old mouse I had (Intellimouse is somewhere between 400-800 DPI, I only bought it cos it was a tenner). I also paid £30 for a Razor Exactmat with gel wrist rest. Before I couldnt even play for two hours before my hand ended up incredibly painful and stopped moving, now I can play all day

I remember the game I was playing the most when I got my Diamondback was Worms Armaggedon. I used to have little tourneys in my room at uni with my mates and when I went from Intellimouse > Diamondback, believe me that saved a heck of a lot of frustration when moving the screen around.

BTW to the person that doesnt use the macro on their G15 - Would you like to swap it with my Saitek eclipse plz?

I am Xtreme
    http://peecee.dk/uploads/022008/xx1.jpg There is your link that gives the mice that pro gamers use. There is a reason they use the mice and there is a reason they use the low DPI
    ... so u gave me a list of the mice they use *meh* - still nothing about actual DPI used, i dont even know some of the mice on that list - i recognise the mx518 - doesnt that have a max DPI of 1600? so who's to say they dont have it pegged @ that? dont get me wrong, i have no idea & would love to know - but u havent given anything convincing, sorry!

I am Xtreme
    User error from someone using a 450 DPI mouse
    meh, if he likes 450DPI, let him be, each to their own...

have u tried G9? whats the DPI on ur Razor? Which Razor mouse is the one with 4000DPI (is it a laser mouse)?

Xtreme Mentor
    meh, if he likes 450DPI, let him be, each to their own...

have u tried G9? whats the DPI on ur Razor? Which Razor mouse is the one with 4000DPI (is it a laser mouse)?
    Mine is 1600 actually (I thought it was 1800 but thats the newer 3G one).

4000 DPI is the highest on the Razor Lachesis, you would never need that at 1280x1024, but believe me it is incredibly useful at 1940+ pixel width resolutions. I havnt ever had the opportunity to try it though. If I get a bigger monitor not only would I need a better mouse, but better graphics too.

I can play any game and navigate in windows without ever moving my wrist which is exactly what I need. the comfort level is astonishing for someone who usually breaks something when lifting heavy objects

I just used a measuring tape to measure my mouse movement. I only need to move it by exactly 1/4 of an inch to get the cursor from one side of the screen to the other. i navigate it be pushing with my thumb and little finger only, and can compete in high end PVP in Guild Wars perfectly and play healer in just about any MMO without ever missing heals at all.

If you have ever played Guild Wars, an Infuse monk with a 4000 DPI mouse >>>> then an Infuse monk with a 450 DPI mouse. Just about every proffesional healer in Guild Wars that I have come across uses a high DPI mouse. Not only do you need an incredibly quick mouse with pinpoint accuracy, but also incredibly fast reflexes. Most teams can kill an opponent in less then a second, and there are actually players out there that can prevent those deaths O.o. And yea, theres a $100k prize anually for GW PVP, so that counts as a proffesional game, unlike WoW

You cannot cannot cannot heal in high end PVP play in GW using a 450 DPI mouse. No way is it possible. You would be far too slow and detrimental to your team. There is actually a special edition Razer Guild Wars mouse too based on the death adder. Its probably the only MMORPG where you require a fast mouse for high end play to have a better advantage.
    Last edited by Mungri; 03-11-2008 at 06:43 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Mine is 1600 actually (I thought it was 1800 but thats the newer 3G one).

4000 DPI is the highest on the Razor Lachesis, you would never need that at 1280x1024, but believe me it is incredibly useful at 1940+ pixel width resolutions. I havnt ever had the opportunity to try it though. If I get a bigger monitor not only would I need a better mouse, but better graphics too.

I can play any game and navigate in windows without ever moving my wrist which is exactly what I need. the comfort level is astonishing for someone who usually breaks something when lifting heavy objects
    no offense, but i dont quite get the correlation u make between screen res & mouse DPI - admittedly i didnt read it slowly & carefully, but thats cause i feel mouse DPI is subjective, & a choice totally up to the user (& in my case, the choice is independant of screen res). Just to throw a spanner in the works i run my monitors @ 1280x960 & my mouse @ 3200DPI

Xtreme Member
    *Back on topic without the flame war*
    I love how easy it is to push the buttons on my Saitek Eclipse II, but I also love the shape of ergonomic keyboards.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I just switched from a Logitech G7 to a Razer Lachesis. The Lachesis is way better, imo.
    God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+, ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe, eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX, 1Gb OCZ RAM, WD 10k RPM Raptor and 7.2k RPM Caviar, Thermalright SI-128 ,Lian-Li PC-V1000 Plus II

I play mostly in 1920x1200 resolutions, also my desktop.

Went from a Logitech MX510 to a Razer Lachesis at 4000DPI. What a difference.

Lot more responsive, more accurate, doesnt feel as jerky as the MX510 did.

End of the day its user choice, there is a wide selection of mice available to suit all tastes.
    < MB / CPU > Asus X99 Pro / Intel Core i7 5820K
    < MEM / GFX >Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX
    < PSU / HSF > OCZ Z-Series 1000W / Phanteks 140PE
    < CASE / OS > Phanteks Enthoo Primo / Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    < STORAGE > Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Samsung 840 250GB - 2 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB - Intel Intel X25-M 80GB

Xtreme Addict
    I use a MS Blue 3-button wheel mouse and I own everyone with it. Nothing more needed if you hAVE MAD SKILLS.

And I play everything, online checkers, online backgammon, I play the flute.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

SLC
    Wow bhaav and tiro, you two have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Period.

I can understand high dpi for guildwars when you have to aim at a very big blob and you can kinda snap somewhere in the vacinity and it will target, but when you truly have to aim at something high dpi is absolutely useless. Everyone who plays fps games even remotely seriously needs 4-8 inches just to turn around 180 degrees in an fps game. There is really no point in me explaining to you why that is, you can do your research yourselves with your attitudes. The marketing campaigns ran by razor and other manufacturers are working rather well it seems. Higher dpi mice are like low end vcards with multiple gigabytes of video memory. Exactly same idea.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some people are low-sensitivity players = they like a lot of mouse movement to translate to less movement on screen. They buy either lower DPI mice (450-1600) or use mice where you can change the DPI.
    Some people are high-sensitivity players = they like a lot of mouse movement to translate to lots of movement on screen. They buy high DPI mice (1600-4000).

As long as you have 1:1 mouse movement and acceleration turned off (also known as "enhanced pointer precision"), a high dpi mouse is just as precise and accurate as a low dpi mouse. User preference will decide which one (high [vs] low sensitivity) is best for you. It is subjective. There has been some theoretical discussion about it in the past such as "low sensitivity means you don't have to worry about slightly moving your hand and missing the shot so I'm more accurate" [vs] "high sensitivity means I move a larger distance on screen in less required hand movement so I'm faster" ... but I don't really buy any of that. I think user preference is much much more important. If you can't get accurate and fast with the mouse, it isn't working for you.

The speed of the mouse, or it's ability keep up with your hand movements, depends on the sensor though. A bad sensor will skip or perform badly when you move your hand quickly. Read these links for more info on the performance of different sensors: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679 and http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1300293

A lot of people wish Sujoy would make a new Mousescore article with many of the new mice that came out recently but he says he has no time. Also make sure that you keep the results he has in perspective. Not everyone moves their hand at 2 m/s.

As for "gaming" keyboards, other than the macro features which some people use, I think that is all marketing hype.

Xtreme Member
    Hey all. My 2 cents. I have used a bunch of these things. Lots. For keyboards, I really like the Logitech G15 V1. I used it for 2 years, and it was perfect. Recently however, I got the Lycosa from Razer. It has a much better feel to it, but the backlighting is very weak. I still perfer the feel over the looks of it though.

For mouse, in the last few years, I have had a Copperhead, Intellimouse Explorer 1.0, Deathadder, MX-518, and now I use a Steelseries Ikari Laser.

The Deathadder had the right feel for me, however it has it's faults. It's teflon feet wore out every few months, and the scroll wheel began squeeking and got very annoying.

I got the Steelseries, and it is BY FAR the best mouse I have ever used. The buttons line up perfect for me, and it tracks so well and so smooth. I HIGHLY suggest this mouse to anyone who likes the Razer deathadder, or even the Logitech G5/MX-518 people.
    Kick it oldschool

The Vortex H20 V2.0

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
    EVGA SR-2 Classified
    2 x Xeon L5639 Hexcore CPUs, 3.2GHZ
    EVGA GTX 580
    24GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
    OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
    2 x 90GB Corsair Force SSD RAID0
    Sharp 32" Aquos 1080p
    Benq W500 1080i Pojector.

Watercooling:
    2 x EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, XSPC GTX 580 FC block, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push - CM R4s Pull.

Xtreme Member
    i never even got to program in my keys with my new, older g-15 before i spilled a brew on it.. again user error.. so much for spill resistant. the o,p,9,0 and { ,[ stopped working even after taking it apart 4 or 5 times to try and clean it up.. doah,, anyone need parts? my death adder works pretty good and my wolfking pad but it takes a little getting used to the wolfking especially trying to type in somthing on a game and having to scoot it over and pull down my 14 dollar logi keyboard. so i just play with the cheapy logi for now..
    8 years in use,, Shuttle an35n ultra, xp2500 @ 2.54, 2 x 512 g.skill, 2-3-2-5 @ 3 volts, sapphire x800 @ 525x510, e-power 520, cpu/nb on water.. SYSTEM II, Asus Maximus se, bios 1302, E8500 @4.5, 2 Hd4870's cf, Corsair tx850, 4x1 Crucial Ballistix @1141, 2x Raptor 74's. raid 0. cpu/nb on water..

Xtreme Addict
    I've used:
    Mice:
    Everything made by razer
    Everything made by logitech

Favorite:
    Logitech mx518 or the g5. I like the size and weight, I'm a medium/high sensitivity gamer but I don't play "twitch" games so the heft is nice for accuracy.

Keyboards
    Logitech G15
    Saitek Eclipse (old one and new one)
    Zboard
    Ideazon Merc/fang
    smattering of old server keyboards

Favorite:
    Ancient HP server keyboard, really firm keys that don't wobble. They do however click quite nicely. All the keyboards I listed are great, it's just a matter of testing them and finding one that feels right in your hands. Decide early if you want the "fang" style gamepad thing on the keyboard, some people like it.. some don't.

My advice would be to go use some mice/keyboards. Decide what size/shape you like of each, and then buy. Don't go overboard however, a quality keyboard shouldn't cost you $100... while a mouse shouldn't tip $75 IMO.

XBOX Gamertag:Fujimitsu - I'm lonely, be my friend!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't even have a MX518, so I am obviously not biased, but I have used it, and from what I have seen it is an awesome mouse which can be had for around $40. Personally, I think it is the best bang for your buck.
    Workstation :
    Q6600 @ 3.2ghz/Scythe Infinity (Screw mount mod)
    GA-P35-DS3L (F7)
    4GB G.Skill @ 400mhz 4-4-4-12
    BFG Nvidia 7600gt
    WD 250GB SATAII 16MB (OS/Programs)
    Seagate 250GB SATAII 16MB (Storage)
    NEC DVD+/-RW
    Antec NeoHE 550W
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Razer Copperhead
    MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 (Best KB ever!)
    Windows 2008 Enterprise Server x64

Laptop:
    Dell Latitude D610 - Pentium M 750 1.86Ghz / 1GB RAM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Wow bhaav and tiro, you two have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Period.

I can understand high dpi for guildwars when you have to aim at a very big blob and you can kinda snap somewhere in the vacinity and it will target, but when you truly have to aim at something high dpi is absolutely useless. Everyone who plays fps games even remotely seriously needs 4-8 inches just to turn around 180 degrees in an fps game. There is really no point in me explaining to you why that is, you can do your research yourselves with your attitudes. The marketing campaigns ran by razor and other manufacturers are working rather well it seems. Higher dpi mice are like low end vcards with multiple gigabytes of video memory. Exactly same idea.
    FINALLY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY REALIZES OR KNOWS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.......
    Quote Originally Posted by IYP
    impecible reasoning....the jedi mind skills of the stupid people are overwhelming....but they shall not assimilate me!

I am Xtreme

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY REALIZES OR KNOWS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.......
    QUIT THE CAPS/SHOUTING

if either of u would care to point out where I claim I know how pros play etc etc etc - feel free to do so

I have merely exclaimed how *I* like to use my mouse EOD

so stick it

I am Xtreme
    rats, i forgot.. what *was* i talking about... oh thats right! I was talking about how *I* like to use *my* mouse! darn it, ur right, what do I know about something as subjective as using my mouse, shoot! Maybe I should listen to u folks on how *I* should use *my* mouse

please, honestly, everyone knows u dont care how I use my mouse, just as everyone knows I dont care how u use ur mouse - cause its subjective

I like 3200DPI
    bhavv likes 1600DPI(?)
    u like... (dunno)
    .sentinel likes 400-450DPI

& thats totally cool with me! if it works, y do diff right?

I have (imho) not attempted to convince anyone here they should use their mouse differently - I feel it would be wrong to do so if I have, I sincerely apologise

What I dont like from u OH, is saying I have no idea what i'm talking about - that is offensive, as I interpret that as: "thats not how u should use ur mouse, this is how u should use ur mouse" - we both know thats BS

as for u sentinel - ur first post in this thread contained CAPS/SHOUTING - an excellent way to gain respect/credibility since neither of us care how the other uses their mouse, one last question for u: do u think anyone here gives a rats on what pros use?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    Razer Lachesis and Razer Lycosa are the two best available until they come up with something else. Already got the Lachesis and got my Lycosa on the way now that ive had a tester of it
    The DeathAdder is still better for low sensitivity gamers.

And of course, the mice that use it's sensor also fall in that category, including the Diamondback 3G and the Boomslang CE. The Boomslang CE is particularly good (if not the best) for low sens.

Higher dpi mice are like low end vcards with multiple gigabytes of video memory. Exactly same idea.
    One of the only people here who has a clue what he's talking about...

That being said, there are players who will do better with high sensitivity, but more will do better on low sensitivity. Most are just mislead by the manufacturers that the higher the DPI and sensitivity, the better you will play. Which is of course a load of crap and a lie. Many players who would actually be better with low sens are using high sens because of how they have been mislead, and many will fight to defend their false (though no fault of their own) position.

This post is not directed at the people who really do do better on high sens, and know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by 003; 03-11-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    Am I the only one with a Ikari?? It is an AWESOME mouse and I think some of you folks should try it.
    Kick it oldschool

The Vortex H20 V2.0

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
    EVGA SR-2 Classified
    2 x Xeon L5639 Hexcore CPUs, 3.2GHZ
    EVGA GTX 580
    24GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
    OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
    2 x 90GB Corsair Force SSD RAID0
    Sharp 32" Aquos 1080p
    Benq W500 1080i Pojector.

Watercooling:
    2 x EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, XSPC GTX 580 FC block, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push - CM R4s Pull.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
    Am I the only one with a Ikari?? It is an AWESOME mouse and I think some of you folks should try it.
    never heard of it! pics? links? funky name!

yeah but i think you get used to higher sensitivity, and then anything slower seems a real drag.

ive only got 2000dpi; but even me can notice the diff above 1600dpi....

consider how much you use your mouse; lots.
    ive also got "enhance pointer precision" checked in windows mouse properties. - for me without this setting the mouse just is too jumpy...
    and pointer speed fast.

ive gone from your standard 400 dpi then to 800 then to 1600...always liked/noticed the difference.

is 3200/4000 dpi necessary or desirable? well if you get one that is settable in dpi increments to whatever speed you want then you've got the choice...but it's all just marketing crap anyway.
    Last edited by adamsleath; 03-11-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Member
    MXR is waaaay too heavy for gaming imho
    I was simply saying what works for me. What works for me may not work for others but the OP wanted opinions and I gave mine. It is a lot Lighter than most wireless mice I have use and really comfortable.

And also to the guy saying mice with high DPI are useless, it is better to have the option for higher sensitivity than not at all for those with big screens or like being twitch killing nutjobs
    Last edited by cloned; 03-11-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    when some say "why mod?" i say "why not mod?"

Tagan Black Pearl case
    750w corsair PSU
    CM hyper 212 HSF
    EVGA 750i FTW
    4 GB of DDR2 RAM
    E6750 @ 3.2Ghz
    320 GB HDD
    EVGA GTX 260

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast