Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Official AMD Barcelona Thread

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by VulgarHandle View Post
    sAM2 - Supports all chips that have 940pins and use DDR2

sAM2+ - Supports all chips that have 950pins and use DDR2. It also supports split power planes(allows you to set different voltages, 1 setting for the cores, 1 for the IMC), and HT3.0. K10's will utilize these 2 extra features, K8's will not.

s1207 - supports all lga1207 chips

sG - supports all lga1207 chips, as well as the split power planes and HT3.0

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39445
    now, the inq seems to think AM2+ wasn't supposed to have HT3.0 but now will, but I always thought it would

also, they say the new server socket is called "g", instead of s1207+

either way, as has been known for quite some time now, the sockets are both forward and backward compatible. It's also thought that sAM3 chips will work in AM2/+ sockets because the memory controller supports both DDR2 and DDR3, but AM2/+ chips WON'T work in sAM3 since they don't have a DDR3 controller
    AM3 seems to be DDR3 only.

Also its extremely unlikely for any AM2+ and AM3 mix. Since AM2+ got parallel VIDs and AM3 serial VIDs. So unless they drop serial VIDs it will basicly be impossible.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai
    AM3 seems to be DDR3 only.
    I think it was not exactly:

Board AM3 supports DDR3
    Boards AM2, AM2+ support DDR2.

Processors AM2, AM2+ have DDR2 controller
    Processor AM3 has BOTH DDR2 & DDR3 controllers.
    So, there is picture explaining everything:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AM2-AM3.jpg.jpeg 
Views:	720 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	58727  

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA View Post
    I think it was not exactly:

Board AM3 supports DDR3
    Boards AM2, AM2+ support DDR2.

Processors AM2, AM2+ have DDR2 controller
    Processor AM3 has BOTH DDR2 & DDR3 controllers.
    So, there is picture explaining everything:
    Is there actually any confirmed AM3 information for DDR2+DDR3 since jedec made sure DDR2 and DDR3 aint compatible for the same pins?
    Sofar the AM3+DDR2 seems to be a old old rumour.

By the time we get AM3, DDR3 will be quite comon. I see a 939->AM2 situation again.

Xtreme Member
    sAM2+ - Supports all chips that have 950pins and use DDR2. It also supports split power planes(allows you to set different voltages, 1 setting for the cores, 1 for the IMC), and HT3.0. K10's will utilize these 2 extra features, K8's will not.
    ...you forgot that AM2+ combined with K10 will support channel interleaving. Two indepenedent memory controllers will allow for better command efficiency, lower loaded latency, and concurrent reads and writes. See post # 99.

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Is there actually any confirmed AM3 information for DDR2+DDR3 since jedec made sure DDR2 and DDR3 aint compatible for the same pins?
    Just because the memory slots aren't pin compatible, doesn't mean the IMC cannot support both architectures. The lack of pin compatibility only means the supported memory standard would be determined by the motherboard.

But to answer your question, it no longer seems like AM3 CPUs will be backward compatible:

Previous AMD documentation indicated that AM2 and AM3 would be forward/backward compatible -- yet AMD engineers claim the AM3 alluded to in 2006 is not the same AM3 referenced in the 2008 launch schedule.

"At the time AM3 was the likely candidate to become AM2+," claimed one field application engineer familiar with AMD's socket migration. "[AMD] wanted to keep the socket name associated with DDR2 memory and backwards compatibility, but AM3 emphasizes DDR3 support."
    http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+45nm+DD...rticle7132.htm
    Last edited by _damien_; 05-08-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39445
    now, the inq seems to think AM2+ wasn't supposed to have HT3.0 but now will, but I always thought it would

also, they say the new server socket is called "g", instead of s1207+

The INQ is confused because first K10, Barcelona, does not have HTT3.0. So if sockett AM2+ is meant for K10 and if K10 dosnt have HTT3.0 then maybe sockett AM2+ is not HTT3.0 only sockett. But as we all know INQ is easly confused. Barcelona is server chip and as the first K10 chip to help backwards compatablity its comes with HTT1.0, plus save time and money for AMD. I dont think i need to explain AM2+ sockett again.

Also Sockett G or should i call it Sockett S1G1 or just Sockett S1 (The Turion X2 sockett) is just just the mobile version of AM2+ not a replacement of S1207.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/41407.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by _damien_ View Post

Just because the memory slots aren't pin compatible, doesn't mean the IMC cannot support both architectures. The lack of pin compatibility only means the supported memory standard would be determined by the motherboard.

But to answer your question, it no longer seems like AM3 CPUs will be backward compatible:

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+45nm+DD...rticle7132.htm
    AM3 sockett will be physically differnt then AM2+ so that someone dosnt put AM2+ CPU into it. DDR3 has different pins to DDR2 so the motherboard will only support one memory type, seems pointless then for AMD to waste silicon on DDR2 support when it really is a waste.
    Last edited by Syn.; 05-09-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    The INQ is confused because first K10, Barcelona, does not have HTT3.0. So if sockett AM2+ is meant for K10 and if K10 dosnt have HTT3.0 then maybe sockett AM2+ is not HTT3.0 only sockett. But as we all know INQ is easly confused. Barcelona is server chip and as the first K10 chip to help backwards compatablity its comes with HTT1.0, plus save time and money for AMD. I dont think i need to explain AM2+ sockett again.

Also Sockett G or should i call it Sockett S1G1 or just Sockett S1 (The Turion X2 sockett) is just just the mobile version of AM2+ not a replacement of S1207.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/41407.pdf

AM3+ sockett will be physically differnt then AM2+ so that someone dosnt put AM2+ CPU into it. DDR3 has different pins to DDR2 so the motherboard will only support one memory type, seems pointless then for AMD to waste silicon on DDR2 support when it really is a waste.
    No such thing as AM3+...it's AM3.

I don't think we're too far off from dual ddr2/ddr3 solutions...but enthusiast platforms have almost always used one type of memory, which we'll see here.

Prolly a value board from Asrock will have both.

Perkam

"agena" quad core at 125W? is this right? if it is dat's gonna git HOT.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Addict
    early AMD X2 and dual core opterons operated at what..? 110. Not too far off. Some of the lower clocked chips are in 2 digits, no?

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

Banned
    I heard somewhere that AMD are going to use Intel's measurements for TDP. If so, that explains the power draw from 120W to 98W.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO View Post
    I heard somewhere that AMD are going to use Intel's measurements for TDP. If so, that explains the power draw from 120W to 98W.
    That makes no sense, since CD, C2D and C2Q is way below their TDP. Intel TDP thing is a rampart fanboy thing from the P4 days. Before and after the P4 its a whole different game.

Xtreme Member
    depends on the load state and application used. They can easily surpass their TDP in certain conditions while they can aswell dissipate less than their TDP, both under full load.

I'm eagerily waiting for these CPU's to pop out, as i heard they'll get a huge, incredible, boost in rendering apps over current top CPUs. Finger crossed

Xtreme Member
    AM3 sockett will be physically differnt then AM2
    We don't know that for sure, but ATM I agree that incompatibility seems to be the most likely scenario. But yeah, if the CPUs will be incompatible, they'll almost certainly make the sockets physically different as well.

DDR3 has different pins to DDR2 so the motherboard will only support one memory type, seems pointless then for AMD to waste silicon on DDR2 support when it really is a waste.
    Not necessarily. Once again, if the IMC of AM3 CPUs were to support both memory standards, a possibility which we cannot rule out, the rest would only depend on the motherboard's DIMM slots. So provided AM3 CPUs will be compatible with both socket AM2 and AM3, support for both memory standards wouldn't be a waste, but a must.
    Last edited by _damien_; 05-09-2007 at 05:04 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XeRo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyTech
    AMD will also announce its dual-core Agena bins, codenamed Kuma, shortly after Agena.
    so, the dual-cores will really be quad-cores with 2 cores disabled? hehe, anyone thinking what i'm thinking?...connect a bridge here, cut one there....
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so, the dual-cores will really be quad-cores with 2 cores disabled? hehe, anyone thinking what i'm thinking?...connect a bridge here, cut one there....
    No bridges. It's all hidden.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Team TForce Xtreem ARGB 3600C14 2x16gb XMP
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: EVGA (rip) RTX 3080 FTW3
    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850w
    Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
    NVMe: SKHynix P41 Platinum, Samsung 980 Pro 2tb
    SSD: Micron 1100 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    HDD: WD SE 2TB, WD Black 1tb 3 platter with over 10 years of power-on time

Banned
    The cores will be laser cut like the pixel/vertex shaders on nVidia G7x GPUs.

Xtreme Addict
    ok, fine, pin mod then lol
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Cruncher

56K Warning!

More pretty pictures of mobos used in the demo:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...e%2F37143.html

45nm wafer!^^

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE View Post
    it is good to see that "AMD CHIPSET" doesn't require 1 KG of cooper to cool
    Uhmm..just like almost all other chipsets? (Cept nVidia perhaps).

However if you wanna OC or the board is made for OC. Then you gonna get your 1kg copper anyway.

Xtreme Mentor
    mmm those boards look pretty nice!
    Except the dual socket one: chipset is in the worst place possible if you wanna use 1st pcie16x!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    mmm those boards look pretty nice!
    Except the dual socket one: chipset is in the worst place possible if you wanna use 1st pcie16x!

hope E-ATX one here

Xtreme Member
    Wow, those are some tiny chipset coolers! I really love the power efficiency of the ATI/AMD chipsets, I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD quadfather chpiset draws more than 100w less power than the stupid Nvidia Asus one (it uses two northbridges, no?)
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodin View Post
    Wow, those are some tiny chipset coolers! I really love the power efficiency of the ATI/AMD chipsets, I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD quadfather chpiset draws more than 100w less power than the stupid Nvidia Asus one (it uses two northbridges, no?)
    i think the asus one is better mobo ever donne if you want use your 2kwatts PSU over 500W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE View Post
    it is good to see that "AMD CHIPSET" doesn't require 1 KG of cooper to cool
    But: if Asus would come out with a board with that very same chipset, it would have 1 KG of copper to keep cool.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Team TForce Xtreem ARGB 3600C14 2x16gb XMP
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: EVGA (rip) RTX 3080 FTW3
    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850w
    Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
    NVMe: SKHynix P41 Platinum, Samsung 980 Pro 2tb
    SSD: Micron 1100 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    HDD: WD SE 2TB, WD Black 1tb 3 platter with over 10 years of power-on time

Xtreme Mentor
    When I saw the northbridge I was like

AMD knows how to make a cool chipset then Hopefully it'll stay cool while OCing too
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast