Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OCZ DDR Booster - DEAD HARDWARE THREAD

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Jeff
    Hey Charlie... you want mine?

The first time I went to use it... it fried my Epox 8KDAJ motherboard(hopefully my 3200+ is ok). I set it up just like the manual says(even though an idiot could set this thing up without any manual) and when I went to adjust the Vdimm... POP... SMOKE... Vreg D.E.A.D.. Funny thing is... I'm the one that started this thread and as fate would have it... I'm the first to use it for what it was created for.

Thanks for being the 8kda3j guinea pig. So much for my BH-5 / OCZ Booster plan.
    BIOSTAR TP67B+ | RPP 750W
    Core i5-2500K @ 4.7 GHz | TRUE
    256GB Samsung 840 Pro | X-Fi Titanium
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | Sapphire HD 7950 3L

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Honestly... I wouldn't rule out something odd happened. Maybe if someone else is up for a little adventure they can try too. For me though... it's just as easy to not take the chance and solder.

Xtreme Addict
    neat looking device man. The hacksawed board cracked me up... I was sitting there staring at that piece thinkin "how the hell did he get a PCB designed for his little project", then you posted the pic

Eh booster seems like not so good an idea to me, if you can't do a VMod in the first place then I don't beleive that you'll have enough knowledge of how it works to handle it properly. I learned how to vmod with 2x dead NF7-S (dead after I vmod'd not before )

`s

-100c Club Member
    Wondering if something like this is sufficient in power or need a little boost...
    http://www.wallindustries.com/pages/ml.pdf
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want one of these badly!

What do you all reckon it will do on my Abit nf7-s 2.0 with mushkin 2-2-2 special that maxes at 225mhz 2.9v and athlon xp-m @ 2600mhz?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    did froudeg ever put together a thread on his lil device?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman2g
    did froudeg ever put together a thread on his lil device?
    no....bump to this thread too! this little thing could help out all the dfi nf4 users that dont want to use the 5v rail!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Rofl..this thread is like Councilling or...motivation speeches..

"I destroyed my computer yesterday..I'm not going to be set back..I am STRONG ("YEAH!")..I'm PROUD (" HERE HERE")"

me myself....I've killed a PSU and mobo in 2 weeks by accident...all happens at once tbh...Killed IC7-G trying some random volt mod (vdimm)..hey..doesn't anyone want to buy IC7-G missing 2 resistors and the corresponding solder pads? repairable....
    shorted my PSU...by...infact..i'm not saying...cause it's retarded.....

Ahh well...IC7-G replaced by P4C800E-deluxe...and my Tagan 480 replaced by a Hiper 525 watt...so...nothing too wrong..apart from my P4C temp sensors are ATROCIOUS.

Bulletproof
    Lol. Only board I've ever killed vmodding was a IS7-E. Same exact thing. Vdimm mod and a solder pad came up. Just popped right off while I was desoldering the resistor. I might have been able to fix it with some very difficult solder work, but I had so many problems with that board anyways, I considered it a blessing in disguise and bought a p4p800.

Anyhow, best bet with DFI is probably to vmod it's 3.3v fed vdimm and vmod your psu's 3.3v line. Should get you up to ~ 3.5vdimm fairly safely.
    Only the stupidest humans believe that the dogma of relative filth is a defense.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithan
    Lol. Only board I've ever killed vmodding was a IS7-E. Same exact thing. Vdimm mod and a solder pad came up. Just popped right off while I was desoldering the resistor. I might have been able to fix it with some very difficult solder work, but I had so many problems with that board anyways, I considered it a blessing in disguise and bought a p4p800.

Anyhow, best bet with DFI is probably to vmod it's 3.3v fed vdimm and vmod your psu's 3.3v line. Should get you up to ~ 3.5vdimm fairly safely.
    true but the exterior setup has a chance to supply cleaner, more stable power to the board and take the heat off the board mosfet. and who said 3.5v is all we need for our ram?
    Last edited by stealth17; 06-06-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My box died from accidental 4v on booster. My booster sucks because it doesnt do correct voltage when it first boots up, something has to warm up then the voltage works fine. Well this time it warmed up and was at 4v and something died i dunno what, i can only barely get to bios with 1 ram stick but for the most part something is dead. I usually leave my pc on but it had been off for a few weeks and this happend when i fired it up. I already got some OCZ plat 3700 and that didnt fix it so now im ordering a 3000+ to see if i fried mem controller. OCZ ddr booster is a novel idea but in my case is rather imperfect if you dont leave pc on all the time. To boot up cold at different voltage then when warm is unacceptable in my opinion, considering the damage it could (did) cause.
    Last edited by Jethro; 09-13-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    you want average, I am sure theres a few other forums out there where you can fit in just fine.
    I dont have enough money to ruin my hardware, purposely or not.

*goes and finds another forum*

(only kidding)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The CPU was in fact what died. 4v is a no go for winnie mem controllers =)
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Addict
    2x512 Mushkin Xp4000 not dead just error alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    My box died from accidental 4v on booster. My booster sucks because it doesnt do correct voltage when it first boots up, something has to warm up then the voltage works fine. Well this time it warmed up and was at 4v and something died i dunno what, i can only barely get to bios with 1 ram stick but for the most part something is dead. I usually leave my pc on but it had been off for a few weeks and this happend when i fired it up. I already got some OCZ plat 3700 and that didnt fix it so now im ordering a 3000+ to see if i fried mem controller. OCZ ddr booster is a novel idea but in my case is rather imperfect if you dont leave pc on all the time. To boot up cold at different voltage then when warm is unacceptable in my opinion, considering the damage it could (did) cause.
    here is a snippet from a review of the booster:

http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/wfs...?articleid=187

OCZ says that the booster can reach up to 3,9volts, this however depends on your motherboard and how much suffering your ram can take this in mind I started examining the unit. The OCZ DDR Booster has a large heatsink over the mosfets that control the voltage, it has a small rheostat with a warning wrapped around it saying that you should turn the knob counter clockwise before powering on your computer. If this done wrong it could destroy your ram instantly. 4 volts hrmmss.
    i think this booster was a very nice idea but horribly thought out engineering wise!...why would i buy a booster to put into my system with the case cover on and be expected to remove the cover each time to turn the adjustment knob all the way to the left b4 powering up...i power-up multiple times each day!...good grief!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234