Swiftech

Thread: Nanoxia Deep Silence 2

Xtreme Member

Nanoxia Deep Silence 2

Introduction

Following the success of its first PC case, the award-winning Deep Silence 1 ,Nanoxia now present the next model, the Deep Silence 2.In the course of the many years of development work which culminated in the Deep Silence case series, the focus was always on two requirements: minimize noise and minimize system temperatures. Substantial effort was thus invested to minimize the noise levels.Just like with the Deep Silence 1, the side panels and top cover of the Deep Silence 2 are fitted with specially designed, noise reducing insulation materials to minimize and absorb any noises. The solid front door uses sound absorbing materials contribute significantly to the most effective noise reduction.All of these features reflect the developers objective to offer the user broad possibilities to personalize the adjustment between the lowest possible noise and an excellent cooling performance. Recently Nanoxia adds in the Deep Silence case 2 series the new sidepanel which has a better sound dempening and no fan on it.

Here are the main specifications of Deep Silence 2.

Packaging & Contents

The Silence 2 ships in a large cardboard box with high quality, full-colour graphics. A nice angled image of the case is found on the front, as well as a list of the case's key specifications at the rear.

Six windows on the back cover features found in and around the DS2.

They cover the dust filter on the front, how a radiator will fit, the HDD trays,the tool-less latches on the ODD bays, front I/O, the dust filter on the bottom, and all of the wire management options inside the DS2.

From this side, you get some additional features listed.

We see the same gold and black top on this side, but this time there are four charts in different languages covering the specifications of the DS2 inside the box. It also denotes the version of the chassis - I have the white version.Also i guess that i am lucky cause inside the package was the model with the new sidepanel which has a better sound dempening and no fan on it.

Once i cracked open the box, i was greeted with a healthy amount of spacing between the case and the sides of the box and a good amount of foam.

The Silence 2 comes with a pretty standard set of accessories, including some cable ties, case screws,an adapter for the 5.25" drives for a card reader, and motherboard standoffs.

Also Included in the bundle a 8-pin ATX extensions.
    And should you not want to use the grommet holes on the backside, even closed covers are included, nice detail.

This full set of instructions with color photography to help you along has got to be the most detailed set of instructions to come with any case that I can recall.

A Closer Look - Outside

The Deep Silence 2 is manufactured from 0.7mm thick steel. By using the highest quality materials, optimal noise insulation is ensured while providing a very stable case.The side panels for the DS2 computer chassis is very simplistic and there are no handles to take away from the clean look of the case.There is not a side window to allow you to view the inside of your case.Both side panels on the DS2 are secured in place via 2 thumbscrews.

The front of the case is equipped with two soundproof doors. Magnets integrated in the doors ensure a fast closing and easy opening.

Ventilation holes.

Behind the upper cover the user will find three 5.25 inch bays.

On the back, we see the Nanoxia has a 120mm fan, seven expansion slots, four rubber grommet holes for radiator hoses, and a place for a bottom-mounted PSU.

Here, we see the bottom with its large feet and large air filter.This beast is designed for you to remove and replace the filter entirely by touch.

The bottom of the Deep Silence 2 also has four round feet.

On the front of the top cover you can find the I/O-panel. It offers 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, as well as Mic and Audio connectors. This ensures that appropriate devices can be connected quickly and easily. The front USB 3.0 ports can be connected internally.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 is equipped with two 120/140 mm fan openings in the top cover.You can install two 120/140 mm fans under the top cover of the case, to further optimize the dissipation of waste heat generated by the processor.

Here we can see a detailed diagramm of the case and it's parts.

A Closer Look - Inside

Opening the door on the DS2 reveals foam insulation to provide additional noise reduction and there are also 3 hinges and a magnet for closing this door.

Behind the front cover, two 120 mm fans rotate at a maximum of 1,300 RPM. At 14.2 dB(a), the Nanoxia Deep Silence 120 mm fans generate an air flow of about 60.1 CFM and a static air pressure of 1.27 mm H?O.

In the lower region there is a removable fan filter.

Control panel.

The Deep Silence 2 case is fitted with a 2-channel fan control for up to 6 fans in order to adjust the air flow to the individual needs of the user.

The Deep Silence 2 is fully insulated and lined with sound-absorbing insulation materials. The use of two insulated front doors also contributes to the noise level, as well as the decoupled mounting of the hard drives and power supply unit.

The Tower can accommodate E-ATX motherboards and up to seven hard drives .

The generous CPU window is backed by Nanoxia?s two-layer acoustic treatment.

The hard disk drives of the Deep Silence 2 are mounted using rubber suspension, in order to absorb vibrations that might arise during startup and to minimize annoying background noises.

In the upper right you can see the three 5.25-inch slots with tool-less grippers. They really do grip 5.25-inch devices firmly.The latch simply needs to be pulled/pushed.

Behind the hard drive cage the Deep Silence Two offers a mounting frame, which is ideal for the use of two 120 mm fans or a 120/240 mm radiator, or a compact water cooling system.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 offers a lavish cable management system.There are nine grommets covering the cable pass-through areas.The opening directly behind the power supply unit is big enough to allow the whole cable harness of a PSU to be fed through.

To the right of the expansion slots is where you are going to find one of the 120mm fans that is installed in the case as an exhaust and this is placed right near where the CPU cooler is going to be located, which will help pull some of the heat off the heatsink and out of the case, allowing the air inside to cool.On the backside you get a clear view of all but the HD shoe. Note the tie-down points. They are not plentiful, but they are large enough to hold a several zip ties. And note the wide slot at the top of the motherboard tray. This leaves plenty of room for fan cables. Also, in the upper right corner. That little window is for the CPU cable.

Here you can see the rubber bumpers that support the PSU.

A look at the back.

The rear 120mmm fan.

On the back side are as many as seven PCI expansion slots painted in black.The PCI slots have thumbscrews to help secure your cards. These are great because it will make installing/uninstalling quick and easy.

There is also room for a second 120mm fan on the bottom.With the tour over, on the next page i will install my test kit inside DS2 and see what this case looks like with assembled components inside.

Installation and Finished Looks

Clearance inside a chassis is essential to enthusiasts.
    As you would expect, installing an ATX system within a XL-ATX compatible case is without any clearance issues. The DS2 offers plenty of cable management options ? so keeping those cables tucked away and out of sight is very easy. There is adequate space for big CPU coolers and long graphics cards.

On the top of the case i put two 140mm Nanoxia Deep Silence 140 mm fans @1,100 rpm . This fan-series features a new impeller design and was optimized for the best possible mix of silence and cooling capacity. Both are connected to the front fan controller.The 140 mm model of the Deep Silence fan series is supplied with a 7 volt adapter cable. At 12 volts the fan rotates at 1,100 revolutions per minute. The Deep Silence 140 mm generates an air flow of 68.5 CFM at a noise level of 14.4 dB(A). Using the 7 volt cable reduces the speed to approx. 800 rpm, which generates and air flow of 52,4 CFM at 9.1 dB(A).

The maximum height of CPU coolers is 165 mm. Thus, you can put a variety of different coolers in Deep Silence Two.

Corresponding brackets fix the drives quickly and safely.
    To mount the 3.5" drives you need the screws with the threads cut at the end of a blank stud. This will allow the blank part to ride in the rubber grommets and also make sure you don't over tighten them. The four small holes drilled into the steel are what you would use for 2.5" drive mounting.

The Deep Silence 2 provides the ability to mount a 120 or 240 mm radiator behind the HDD cage in a special mounting frame. If necessary, the radiator can even be equipped with fans on both sides. Four rubber hose guides guarantee that water cooling components can be operated or mounted externally.

Nanoxia provides also (sold separately) colored sleeved cables. The cables are of premium-quality,ultra drability and flexible.

I always try to test the limits of the wire management, and I have to say the DS2 passes with flying colors. I was able to get everything I needed in here, and with the three quarters of an inch of clearance, the door panel slid right back in place.

Vga cards up to 370 mm in length can be mounted.Moving to the graphics card i installed inside DS2 an Sapphire 6970 and you can see from the picture below that there is another few inches of clearance before it touches the HDD cage. The room here pretty much covers anything currently on the market.The Deep Silence Two Tower offers plenty of space for hardware and water cooling solutions. Due to the exceptional depth of the case you can easily accommodate long graphics cards.When the DS2 from Nanoxia gets power up and everything is running, the only things to change now is that we get the green glow of LED from around the power button.

Test System

I now begin to test the noise level and the temperature , but first let me show you my test system and the software I used:

OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD
    Mainboard -Asus P6T
    Processor Core i7 980X at default configuration
    Graphics Cards GeForce Sapphire 6970
    Memory 6 GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 2000 MHZ
    Power Supply Unit High Power 700 Watt
    Monitor Dell 3007WFP - up to 2560x1600
    OS related Software Windows 7 64-bit SP1

To find out how well DS2 chassis can cool, I've loaded it up with an X58 test platform and run a series of CPU and GPU benchmarks.Firstly, CPU cooling performance is measured by setting fan speed to low and recording CPU temperature when the system is idle. We then apply a 15-minute load of the Prime95 stress test and record CPU temperature again. To demonstrate the chassis' optimum cooling capability, we also set all fans - including the CPU cooler - to high speed mode and re-run the Prime95 torture test for a further 15 minutes.Secondly, GPU temperature is also recorded in three states: idle, load with fans at standard speed and load with fans at high speed. In this test, GPU load is defined as a 15-minute stint of Furmark.The DS2 chassis is tested only with the standard manufacturer-supplied fans, and to take into account the fluctuating ambient temperature, my graphs depict the delta temperature - that's actual CPU/GPU temperature minus the ambient. Just so i'am clear, room temperature at the start of testing was recorded for the chassis was 18.1C.

In order to review pc cases the right way i needed some key pieces of equipment. Briefly those pieces of equipment are shown below.

SkyTronic DSL 2 Digital Sound Level Meter (6-130dBa)
    Sperry DT-506 4 Channel Digital Thermo

Temperatures

Keeping a Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor cool isn't easy, but temperatures are kept well within the limits in DS2 chassis.The stock cooling does an adequate job but could be improved. The addition of even two fans at the top should lower temperatures of our internal components.

Noise Levels

The DS2 is a very quiet chassis registering almost 30dBA in my acoustic testing.

Conclusion

Building on a classic, successful product is never an easy task. Advocates will be closely watching and criticising too.The DS2 has a minimalist approach to case design giving credence to subtle and discreet styling. Not everyone likes their rig to be gaudy with flashing LED fan lights. The outside is pleasing to the eye as is the inside too, there is XL-ATX compatibility for those with larger motherboards and thanks to the abundant cable management grommets creating a nice, tidy system couldn’t be easier. The fan controller is discreet and gives the user control over fan speeds without having to attach oodles of cables.Airflow is excellent throughout, with more vents in the bottom and the big gap around the periphery of the door.Working inside the DS2 is pain-free, thanks to the luxuriously spacious interior, good clearance for the various components and, of course, folded metal edges.The only negative points i can find is that you must purchase the top fans separately.

The end result is a user-friendly product that competes well against modest silence-oriented cases.If you are looking for a quiet case then the DS2 will make an excellent choice as the three fans registered under 30 dBA in my acoustic testing. The Dual-layer design side panels are exceptionally well engineered and help reduce annoying fan noise, even from a close distance.The overall build quality is impressive, both inside and out.Overall the DS2 is a brilliant case as it boasts lots of features, looks delightful and will satisfy a good majority of the enthusiasts out there.Hooray for a real bargain at €87. As a result it just sneaks in the most improved award.

Last edited by testman78; 02-20-2013 at 06:01 AM.

filter comes out the back, wrong direction for easy access
    Heatware || 01.01.08; AND 111.2%

Dead Z7S-WS? Click!. || XS Z7S-WS Thread || Current Dead Asus Z7S-WS count: 26+ ($15,000 in dead motherboards).
    All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.
    Want to use my Anti-asus logo? Go ahead, but use this link please!: http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...sus/noasus.gif
    Bring back the game. http://reclaimyourgame.com/. EA are mean.