Thread: Laing D4 (aka mpc650) pcb mod

Question Laing D4 (aka mpc650) pcb mod

Hi all,

Sorry for my bad English. Thank you for your indulgence ...

Maybe I'm getting old, but I can not stand the sound of my pump Laing D4.

Is it possible to adapt the "Laing DDC pump repair DIYINHK PCB mod" on my old Laing D4, or only with a specialized integrated circuit as TB6588FG or similar, although I have to change the map DIYINHK PCB or left him outside of the pump.

I fear that the consumption of the pump D4 (36W) is too high.

There may be a mod for the PCB of the D4 or something to reduce noise, but I have not found on the web.

All ideas are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It's a good question, but someone with some electrical expertise would have to answer that one. I've also heard about people talk about doing DIY winding stuff that may adjust things so one of the EE boys could probably do some calcs. I only know enough electrical to be dangerous...

Re: Laing D4 (aka mpc650) pcb mod

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    It's a good question, but someone with some electrical expertise would have to answer that one. I've also heard about people talk about doing DIY winding stuff that may adjust things so one of the EE boys could probably do some calcs. I only know enough electrical to be dangerous...
    I would have to find what chip is used in the original pcb, there may be a way to directly control the controller to vary the speed.

Xtreme Addict
    Here are the guts of a D5, not sure if D4 is similar.

It looks like it has the same number of phases as the DDC, so I would say it is possible. However one big issue could be that the DDC DIYINHK PCB may not be able to cope with the current demands of the phases. You could check the ohms on the coils to see if it comes close to what the DDC has. Also this may not even be an issue if the DIYINHK PCB's controller chip has a chopper circuit built in (I think it may). If it does the chopper circuit would limit the amount of current to a fixed value.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Thank you for your answers

I asked by mail directly to Laing, an electronic diagram of the D4 or only the reference of the micro controller, but with little hope.

Until I found some pictures comparative between the D4 and D5

Source: www.cooling-masters.com

The MOSFETs PBC

It will seem that the operating principle is very similar between the D4 and the new model, only the output of the power circuit is different.
    D4 of the microcontroller does not control directly the stator coil, it passes through the power mosfets, while the D5 and DDC on the new microcontroller supports 2.5 A peak and control directly the stator coils

The D4 power is the 24W (2A), and the DDC is 19W (1.58), the microcontrolleur on DDC Repair PCB is for the max 2,5A in peak

Either I find an other microcontroller the same family that has no output power with the original D4 PCBs mosfets, Either I try the microcontroller of the DDC Repair who's a little weak output power for reliable use, unless with a radiator on the microcontroller and pray ...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Here are the guts of a D5, not sure if D4 is similar.
    You could check the ohms on the coils to see if it comes close to what the DDC has.
    Does anyone know the values ​​of the coils of the DDC for me to compare with the D4 ?...

Thanks
    Last edited by Triquepouille; 03-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.