Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee (WSJ)

No thanks, and screw Call Of Duty. Why can't this game just die already?
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    You've never "owned" a game, you've only purchased a license. Said license can be revoked and they can still keep your money. Ownership of software is an illusion.
    Invoking such a restriction on a legal software "license" holder would result in 3 things.

1) Loss of business on future purchases
    2) Lawsuit for refusing the use of legally purchased media.
    3) Possible criminal charges for tendering of funds on a non-usable product.

A business would be insane to revoke a license to anyone who actually owns a copy of the game. It would be a legal/PR nightmare that international press would have a field day with.

Now, in regards to Steam's VAC, which bans you from all VAC-secured online servers, it does not sever your right to play the game. It just restricts it to Non-VAC servers, and it's done for a good reason. No one is going to dispute something like that and win.
    Last edited by Mad Pistol; 05-31-2011 at 06:41 AM.
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Member
    edit even better info:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1171511p1.html

----
    Call of Duty Elite Press Release
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60...-Press-Release

Call of Duty Elite’s features and services engage the community in three key ways:

Connect : Call of Duty Elite gives players unprecedented control over their multiplayer experience, transforming it into a true social network. Players can compete against friends, players of similar skill levels and players with similar interests, join groups, join clans, and play in organised tournaments. They can also track the performance, progress and activity of their entire network, both in the game itself, as well as through mobile and web interfaces. Elite will be an "always on" way for players to connect with the Call of Duty community.

Compete: Call of Duty Elite establishes the most exciting, competitive environment in a multiplayer game. Players will have available a constant stream of events and competitions, tiered to group them with those with similar abilities . Both in-game and real-world prizes will be rewarded to all skill levels.

Improve: Call of Duty Elite is like having a personal online coach. It provides players with a dynamic strategy guide that tracks their statistics and performances down to the most minute details. It can show gamers how they stack up against their friends or others in the community. Tools and information are provided so players can learn and up their game.
    so if u want ur online stats, and improve ur kpd. u will want this service? no thanks
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 05-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Addict
    Online stat tracking = Monthly sub lol. I guess they will implement a rank system for the long-haul MMOish grind? Something similar to Battlefield ranks in BFBC2. Been playing the game on/off since launch and I am still nowhere near rank 50!

Xtreme Member
    First trailer: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...first-trailer/

I didn't even bother watching it through... So you buy MW3 (50€) and then you have to pay 5-10€ months for a few maps and kpd counter (which modders do for free á la Counter-Strike)? No thanks.

Xtreme Addict
    This is just idiotic. Activision games are way overpriced for the last few years (one of the reasons why i haven't bought a single game from them ever since they made them more expensive). And now they're expecting us to pay monthly. I bet that the game base will be the same ridiculously priced and that monthly fee will not be low at all (knowing it's Activision we're dealing with). Just like someone above already said. Screw them.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
    Battlefield for the win. Screw Call of Duty!!
    Look at it from the pov of Activisions Bank Account, recent COD Titles where also not exactly popular on XS, but then you have stories like this, so they are obviously doing everything right according to the opinion of their Bank Account, they are turning into the Apple of the gaming industry, unpopular with those who recognize a inferior product through its premium price tag, but they still manage to make a crapload of cash so can you really blame them for doing what they do?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    activision however is insane if they think they can slap a new coat of paint on a tired game and charge people a monthly fee on top of the $60 + for the game. if they try this with MW3 it WILL kill the franchise and their golden goose
    Believe me, console players will pay for this
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Why is that?

The games are still yours and they're cheaper then you will ever find on shelves in stores.

I've never seen a downside to the Steam platform imo.

-PB
    you can't play them on a computer that's not connect to the internet, you have to active them online.
    I just want to play single player not sign up for stuff I DON'T WANT.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I have no issue paying a small subscription fee as long as A) the game is priced at under $10 B) the game is released with its FULL features. IE: get rid of this idiotic DLC craze that people have so thoroughly bought into. Give us a COMPLETE game from day one and I'll be happy.
    imo
    DLC only gives more replay value.
    Means they're game sucked lol
    Last edited by demonkevy666; 05-31-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    We knew this was coming though. After this, for consoles you will have to activate the game with a one time code locked to your account so you wont be able to sell or buy used games...

PC Forever! screw the console its a doomed system...

Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee

By Nick Wingfield

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise— "Call of Duty"—is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Read more: WSJ (Sub. required)
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    No thanks, and screw Call Of Duty. Why can't this game just die already?
    Because it's more alive than ever.

MW2 sold more than CoD4, Blops sold more than MW2. And you can bet your ass that MW3 will sell more than Blops.

MW2 had the controversy of removing dedicated servers and introducing paid map packs, and even with that it sold like hot cakes (Game and map packs).
    MW3 is going to do that again but with paid online service. Since it's not obligatory it wont have a big backslash, and it will of course be a complete success even though the stuff it provides is already available in different forms in all three platforms for no extra cost.

We can't do about this. Many people accept getting raped by publishers year after year, getting less for more and happily doing so.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    Because it's more alive than ever.

MW2 sold more than CoD4, Blops sold more than MW2. And you can bet your ass that MW3 will sell more than Blops.

MW2 had the controversy of removing dedicated servers and introducing paid map packs, and even with that it sold like hot cakes (Game and map packs).
    MW3 is going to do that again but with paid online service. Since it's not obligatory it wont have a big backslash, and it will of course be a complete success even though the stuff it provides is already available in different forms in all three platforms for no extra cost.

We can't do about this. Many people accept getting raped by publishers year after year, getting less for more and happily doing so.
    Three words sum up this entire post;

Brainless. Console. Tards.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

I pray to god BF3 doesn't follow this

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    You've never "owned" a game, you've only purchased a license. Said license can be revoked and they can still keep your money. Ownership of software is an illusion.
    That depends from country to country, in some countries youre buying what lisence terms tell you, some countries if there is no suscription then laws make those lisence terms invalid and makes you lawfully owner of the software you have purchased, and some countries makes you lawfully owner of the software you have purchased even if there is suscription in software.

In country where im living at the moment (not living at the moment in finland), buying game makes you lawfully owner of the game even if there is suscription in that purchased game, lisence terms get invalidated by consumer protection law, if developers of the software later on limit your use of it you are entitled to get money back from the purchased game and you still can continue use that said game.
    Last edited by rintamarotta; 05-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Addict
    I blame anyone dumb enough to pay for subscriptions to games, IE Blizzards WOW. They know it's a cash cow.

Who was the CEO who came out a year or two ago saying that games were too expensive as is?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    When is it bad business to give thousands of potential customers something that they are willing to pay for, if you don't like it you don't have to subscribe.

It boils down to giving people what they are willing to pay for, if the game and subscription service fails to deliver and the pricing model is off then it'll have limited if any success.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    It would have to have a persistent world and pretty decent character scheme to support a monthly fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Why is that?

The games are still yours and they're cheaper then you will ever find on shelves in stores.

I've never seen a downside to the Steam platform imo.

-PB
    go to a LAN party like Quakecon where you have to have online mode yet you can't b/c steam will not provide a dedicated server to the LAN.
    Then, you make think otherwise.
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They can get ed. BF3 please.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    go to a LAN party like Quakecon where you have to have online mode yet you can't b/c steam will not provide a dedicated server to the LAN.
    Then, you make think otherwise.
    thats quakecon's fault likely. At least I never experienced steam issues at Fragapalooza, other than when the network had issues due to the network admins or steam having a fit.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/02/ca...eaks-detailed/

It baffles me how a developer that started on consoles (Treyarch) is the only one that nowadays pushes a PC centric feature in this franchise, whereas a developer that started on PCs (IW) is adamant on getting rid of it.

To IW, both the original company and the hollow shell that is today: you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    this why I refuse to play/ usually refuse buy/play a STEAM game.
    whats wrong with steam?

not to derail the thread.

games on steam are stored locally steam is a platform to manage them and keep them updated and cheat free.

It also makes it really easy to switch games from one computer to your next.

Xtreme Addict
    I can't see paying for multi for cod.. the whole steamworks thing killed the game.... Gameservers.com is junk...
    Black ops is so boring why would someone pay 60 for the same game and then continue to pay just to play it.. the same game... The same game that was released in 2007 essentially. Aside from this elite bullsh1t It's gonna be the same boring rehashed over done dx9 crappy port.

I got BFBC2 ON RELEASE. 15 months later I am still playing it and enjoying it. I got blops at x-mas and I don't even touch it aside frok some sniper only and even that sucks because all the servers are so bad.

BF3 can't come soon enough.
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    thats quakecon's fault likely. At least I never experienced steam issues at Fragapalooza, other than when the network had issues due to the network admins or steam having a fit.
    The USA largest and #3 world largest LAN does not get a dedicated server from steam b/c they want a obseen amount of money. Quakecon is a free non-profit LAN put on for almost 15 years now by volunteers for the gaming community. You can do the BYOC free of charge.
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    The USA largest and #3 world largest LAN does not get a dedicated server from steam b/c they want a obseen amount of money. Quakecon is a free non-profit LAN put on for almost 15 years now by volunteers for the gaming community. You can do the BYOC free of charge.
    Does fragapalooza get a dedicated server? I dont think they did for the first couple years, though I guess they might now..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12