Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee (WSJ)

Xtreme Cruncher

'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee (WSJ)

'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee

By Nick Wingfield

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise— "Call of Duty"—is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Read more: WSJ (Sub. required)

Screw them.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    This is disgusting (it let me read without logging in (I do subscribe to WSJ), for anyone interested).

Xtreme Member
    Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game.

It's been known for a while that Activision was looking for a subscription-based service for Call of Duty for a while now. Just didn't know how they were going to do it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd expect to see more of this. MMO's long ago proved people will pay to play, this will become more common.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    I'd expect to see more of this. MMO's long ago proved people will pay to play, this will become more common.
    MMO's provided consistent, dedicated servers with thousands of players connected at once, with 24/7 in-game support, constant balancing, persistent worlds, and constant content updates included in the fee, not to mention being completely different, more complex animals. Even if Activision released 5 new maps a month of decent-to-good quality, which I sincerely doubt, that's less than map makers/modders would do for free by many magnitudes in years prior. There simply is no value proposition here for end-users, just money in Activision's pockets, and lots of it.

Xtreme Addict
    The entire software industry is going this way, it is just that we are used to games being "MINE" (I paid for it, darn it!).
    It is only a question of when we will no longer have stuff on our PCs at all, and what stuff.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Addict
    RPG ninnies can and will pay for a treadmill, that is fine for them. people who actually like shooting stuff can continue playing CS or whatever.

Xtreme Member
    a lot of the features that they are bringing with this paid subscription system are some that steam already does for you.... But it may make producers support their games for longer
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaunits View Post
    The entire software industry is going this way, it is just that we are used to games being "MINE" (I paid for it, darn it!).
    It is only a question of when we will no longer have stuff on our PCs at all, and what stuff.
    this why I refuse to play/ usually refuse buy/play a STEAM game.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    You can still play online without the subscription but you won't have access to the subscriber content. Seems to be more like subscription based DLC which I don't think is that big of a deal at all.

They can expand the gaming experience further for those that love the game and are willing to subscribe for that experience, the customer gets his fix and the company makes money on subscription to provide that fix.

In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service.
    Last edited by highoctane; 05-30-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    The entire software industry is going this way,
    i actually think most of the industry is getting away from monthly fees/ age of conan, hellgate, and i believe apb reloaded will support free to play. the only games that will support a monthly fee for a while are WOW and EVE

the good thing about WOW or EVE is that they do quite a bit of updating to the game on a fairly regular basis. i really doubt activision would be that diligent on upgrades.

most people think micro transactions are a better idea and i could agree with that.

activision however is insane if they think they can slap a new coat of paint on a tired game and charge people a monthly fee on top of the $60 + for the game. if they try this with MW3 it WILL kill the franchise and their golden goose

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoboclese View Post
    a lot of the features that they are bringing with this paid subscription system are some that steam already does for you.... But it may make producers support their games for longer
    I honestly don't think it will. It's a great way to hook people into the game (just look at the WoW model with expansion packs); if they pay for this premium content for 6-12 months prior to the next release, there's more incentive to jumping ship (and dropping another $60) for the new release and the continuing with the subscription. It kills the gaming community (IMHO) because you don't really have a game to play a year later. Even if they reduced the membership fees (which I would really doubt), it'd still likely kill the MP within 24 months.

A few other things: why would one want even 3 new maps a month? 1-2 maps a month (covering all play modes) would be pretty cool but the other seems like overload.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    They can expand the gaming experience further for those that love the game and are willing to subscribe for that experience, the customer gets his fix and the company makes money on subscription to provide that fix.
    More like release a half-assed incomplete gimped version of the game for full price and then charge extra for content that should've been in the game in the first place.

I'm okay with DLC if it was developed post-release and was substantial in content (ie expansion), but most of the DLC for games nowadays is stuff that should've been included in the release originally.

Bioware actually had DLC that was included on the retail discs but locked by a code that you had to purchase. Absolutely stupid.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontl1ne View Post
    More like release a half-assed incomplete gimped version of the game for full price and then charge extra for content that should've been in the game in the first place.

I'm okay with DLC if it was developed post-release and was substantial in content (ie expansion), but most of the DLC for games nowadays is stuff that should've been included in the release originally.

Bioware actually had DLC that was included on the retail discs but locked by a code that you had to purchase. Absolutely stupid.
    Well thats assuming that the game would be gimped from the start which would be a failure and would likely kill the popularity of the game from the start.

You buy a game off the shelf, you enjoy said game and want more, you either pay for dlc and expand the game piecemeal or you can use a subscription service.

To me the whole thing comes down to the pricing and quality of the content, it better be good if they want to acquire and keep subscribers.

The only game that hooked me enough overall to consider dlc was the mass effect franchise, I really enjoyed the game and story.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Cruncher
    Battlefield for the win. Screw Call of Duty!!
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    this why I refuse to play/ usually refuse buy/play a STEAM game.
    Why is that?

The games are still yours and they're cheaper then you will ever find on shelves in stores.

I've never seen a downside to the Steam platform imo.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    Battlefield 3 is sounding more appealing by the second.

Good job Activision. You're now advertising reasons why we should buy a competitor's product.
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Well thats assuming that the game would be gimped from the start which would be a failure...
    NFS Shift... DLC was nothing more than botched code fixed and charged for really... little additions if you ask me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You've never "owned" a game, you've only purchased a license. Said license can be revoked and they can still keep your money. Ownership of software is an illusion.

I am Xtreme
    Even when you buy stuff in retail nowaday, its not "yours" sine of all the nice drm crap that decides if you can play it or not.

And if the activation server is shut down.. well, good thing you have the disk, but you cant play.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Are you serious ? It's normal for MMO's, outside WOW, you pay one time the account and will be able to play it 5 -10 years without the need to buy a new game.. without pay for expansion , updating content, etc... If i take L2 as an example you get 1 - 2 expansions / years for free .. so it's normal you pay for a month fee, as you don't pay for the expensions ...

But for a FPS multiplayer ? with 3hours single players and 10maps, why will you pay for 2 new modded map 10$ / months what a joke .... It's allready too much to pay for 3 new maps ( who are mod ) with DLC ... you want to pay 10$ / months for play to CounterStrike ?

Anyway they shoot themselves in the feet if they do this ... as for MMO's, your will quickly see alternative and hacked servers running around ...
    Last edited by Lanek; 05-31-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

c[_]
    hat simulator > Cash On Demand... er Call of Duty.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Who will be enough insane to pay for play CoD when you can play Battlefield for free?

Xtreme Guru
    I have no issue paying a small subscription fee as long as A) the game is priced at under $10 B) the game is released with its FULL features. IE: get rid of this idiotic DLC craze that people have so thoroughly bought into. Give us a COMPLETE game from day one and I'll be happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast