Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The Death Ray is really just a permanent SE. I should license my Death Ray (D-Ray for short) to some of these military spec SSD vendors! I'll make millions!
    So the fastest way to wear out the endurance of an SSD is to write a program to repeatedly invoke Secure Erase on it, which translates into a couple of seconds per P/E cycle?
    This guy is xtremely lazy

SSDabuser
    Quote Originally Posted by minpayne View Post
    So the fastest way to wear out the endurance of an SSD is to write a program to repeatedly invoke Secure Erase on it, which translates into a couple of seconds per P/E cycle?
    Not exactly... The fastest way to kill a drive is to short it out. I shorted out an MTRON early this year doing some dumb stuff, and that's what Hopalong was talking about.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minpayne View Post
    No, because secure erase would only erase the NAND that was currently used on the drive. If none of the NAND is allocated, then secure erase wouldn't do much.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canthearu View Post
    No, because secure erase would only erase the NAND that was currently used on the drive. If none of the NAND is allocated, then secure erase wouldn't do much.
    Depending on the controller, Secure erase doesn't erase the nand either.
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zads View Post
    Depending on the controller, Secure erase doesn't erase the nand either.
    can you expand on that a bit? i know that SE involves a different voltage being applied to the nand to clear it, but i assumed that would erase it as well. I have heard elsewhere that isnt always the case, but not an explanation of how it works.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!