Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Hybrid View

Xtreme Mentor
    Can't say I'm too happy about how those comments were inserted. I'm not bothered by what was written, but I am bothered if people think I wrote them.

Anyway, looks like the MWI does not get to 0.

From the toolbox release note:

" The normalized value declines linearly from 100 to 1 as the average erase cycle count increases from 0 to the maximum rated cycles. Once the normalized value reaches 1, the number does not decrease, although it is likely that significant additional wear can be put on the device. Use the Normalized value for this attribute".

Also for data integrity checking the toolbox can run two types of scan:

7.0 Run Fast Diagnostic Scan
    Use this option to perform a quick check on the health of an Intel SSD.
    The scan checks 1.5 GB of the SSD for READ errors. The scan then creates 1 GB of random data and then compares it for data integrity. The scan takes approximately three to five minutes to complete and requires a minimum of 5GB of unutilized space to run.

8.0 Run Full Diagnostic Scan
    Use this option to perform an overall health evaluation on an Intel SSD.
    After checking every logical block address (LBA) for READ errors, the scan uses the free space to write random data and then reads it back to ensure data integrity. This scan can take an hour or more to run, depending on the amount of free space on the drive, and requires a minimum of 5GB of unutilized space to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    Can't say I'm too happy about how those comments were inserted. I'm not bothered by what was written, but I am bothered if people think I wrote them
    sorry... is just a force of habit due to the ease of which it can be done on my end. If you noticed the post above it was worded better as to not mesh so easily into the original post and was obviously a response to each section of the original post. I'll break it down into individual quotes next time so there's no confusion or animosity caused. Will also revist that post of concern to clarify for anyone else reading it in the future.

As for the other questions about my source of info or credibilty on the subject of Sandforce?.. well.. not sure Tony will admit to it or not(he's English you know.. lol) but I do know that all my testing and feedback on the original Sandforce controller(not to mention the new one) has helped to form the basis of overall understanding for these controllers in general on that forum as well as around the web due to the trickle down effect. IMO, that advanced understanding is what earned me the opportunity to beta-test these new SF2281 6G controllers.

Many of the advanced users and one's who lower gaurds and test theories/advice are happy with the info and tweaks that I helped uncover about these drives and most was done simply because of the shroud of secrecy that Sandforce perpetuated(I know/was told they were watching along the way as things were put into the public domain). Tony helped as much as NDA and his personal testing would allow but I seriously pushed hard to get more info(rallied other users into my cause) and testing from my end with posted/quantifiable results was the ONLY way that I could get to the end result. Which ultimately was only the need to understand them to better work around their inherent weaknesses and better implement them into my vid/gfx workstation usage.

Again with the not trying to toot my own horn here.. but many of my "extreme views" have been inplemented into the stickies and are now used as common "extreme usage" protocol to squeek that last bit of performance/stamina out of these controllers. So while I can't take the complete credit for "heavy user implemented OP/unallocated space, logged off idle recovery, and SE/reimages to recover immediate fresh speed"?.. I certainly pushed the envelope and lead the way with MANY TB's worth of test data and result responses over on that forum. Mine aren't generally the little 2 sentence chats either. I speak in great detail and give several iterations to get my points/results/test methodology across. Had to constantly break my posts due to the 5000 word v-bulletin forum limits. lol

So,.. if you guys don't mind me breaking it down and cluttering this thread a bit more than usual?.. I can feed info for those who have actual interest for the facts about these controllers. Most will be more of "what they do" moreso than "why they do" but the end results will be the same. If you want to tear at me and diminish my knowledge to fit into your nice little "this is my Sandforce understanding" bubble?.. I don't have that kind of time and won't be drawn into debates when the guards are up and the mind is closed. Keep the questions broken down and in simpler terms and I'll try my best to tell you what I know so far. If I don't know?.. I'll tell you my opinion or speculate based on others feedback(some of Tony's as well).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by groberts101 View Post
    Again with the not trying to toot my own horn here..
    Think what you could do if you were actually trying!

Quote Originally Posted by groberts101 View Post
    So,.. if you guys don't mind me breaking it down and cluttering this thread a bit more than usual?.. I can feed info for those who have actual interest for the facts about these controllers. Most will be more of "what they do" moreso than "why they do" but the end results will be the same. If you want to tear at me and diminish my knowledge to fit into your nice little "this is my Sandforce understanding" bubble?.. I don't have that kind of time and won't be drawn into debates when the guards are up and the mind is closed. Keep the questions broken down and in simpler terms and I'll try my best to tell you what I know so far. If I don't know?.. I'll tell you my opinion or speculate based on others feedback(some of Tony's as well).
    Two things:

1) Probably best to start another thread

2) You might try reading what others have written and respond to people. You still have not responded to Ao1's data about how his Sandforce drive was lifetime throttled to 7MB/s sequential write speed, and it stayed throttled despite several secure erases. Clearly, SE does NOT clear a lifetime throttle condition on Ao1's SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Think what you could do if you were actually trying!

Two things:

1) Probably best to start another thread

2) You might try reading what others have written and respond to people. You still have not responded to Ao1's data about how his Sandforce drive was lifetime throttled to 7MB/s sequential write speed, and it stayed throttled despite several secure erases. Clearly, SE does NOT clear a lifetime throttle condition on Ao1's SSD.
    You have no idea how right you are until you read my posts over at OCZ forums in the mega thread titled "TRIM, OP, and everything else Sandforce". The newer "Sandforce write throttling" sticky also has many to choose from as well. lol Seriously though.. it's pretty tough to just tell someone(especially "jaded experts" like some here) that.. "I just know these things". The main puprose was to add some type of credentials for how I got to where I am at this point with my understanding of Sandfocre. Aside from that, I'm a pretty humble dude and you can take it any way you want which seems to be the downside of any forum posting with huge losses in interpretation and attitude.

1)probably won't happen unless someone PM's me and needs the info. Seems to be just a passing debate and to be perfectly honest?.. I'm fine with guys being wrong and believing what you want to. Seems like too much hassle to "debate" about things that have been proven many, many times over at the OCZ forums on a near daily basis. The info is there. Not being snotty at all and just seems like a waste of time if the minds are closed or the cup is already full. Whatever analogy fits there gets the point across I'm sure.

2)I can certainly do that and will try to shed light on what I'm guessing happened with a few different possibilities there. Seems moot at this point though with the drive out of the running now.

EDIT: Holy friggin' crap! I give up trying to multi-quote bits and pieces of certian posts as I'm just hacking this stuff up trying to get it right. Don't know how you guys do it and don't have the patience to learn something new right now unless someone can lend me a clue or I'll just stay simple and try and make my red responses to be clearly just my own responses to each portion of the original post. If that's not good enough then I'll just go back to spectating again. This back and forth stuff is half the reason I didn't respond when the drive dropped out of the lineup in the first place.

PS. @Ao1.. PM me if you want me to clarify some things a bit better and give some idea's as to what most likely happened there with your drive.

since you don't believe my input here I'll leave you with these quotes from Tony himself.

During the time there is no GC map...EG all the nand is reset and free to write to duraclass has no real impact on Nand life...its just writes
    When you SE the controller writes without Duraclass, it writes faster BUT it also writes indiscriminately...it does not look at what blocks have high erase count and move to ones that have a low count... it just writes to them.
    you can see the clean speed (NO GC MAP) which is what you get now with a clean new drive or after SE and then the functional 1 month in speed which is what you all see now
    idle time will restore the drive to day to day speed, SE will restore unmapped speed but you will see a transition from that state to day to day. Plus SE to often and you actually start wearing out the drive.
    So, in the end here?.. Sandforce Lifetime throttle = "settled in state". An SE does in fact reset the drive to fresh out of the box speed. Anyone who find's otherwise has not properly sent the ATA secure erase command for the drive to initiate it at the firmware level?.. or there is an issue with the drive and the firmware is corrupted or an RMA is required. My guess is that Ao1 didn't use the proper tool to send the command to the firmware for the ATA SE to be initiated.
    Last edited by groberts101; 06-24-2011 at 05:27 PM.