Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Hybrid View

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    It will be interesting to see what One_Hertz finds.
    Soldered on the power connector today. I am afraid the SSD stays in the busy state permanently

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Soldered on the power connector today. I am afraid the SSD stays in the busy state permanently
    You mean you cannot get the SSD to be recognized by the BIOS and to mount the filesystem in Windows?

That is what I expected (although I hoped otherwise). I guess that is what Samsung 470s do when their flash is not only worn out for writing, but also worn out for storing and readback. It makes sense, I suppose, since the index of LBA to flash address must be stored on flash, and if it cannot read the flash, it cannot load its index, so it cannot do anything.

Feel free to run any experiments you can think of, including destructive ones.

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    You mean you cannot get the SSD to be recognized by the BIOS and to mount the filesystem in Windows?

That is what I expected (although I hoped otherwise). I guess that is what Samsung 470s do when their flash is not only worn out for writing, but also worn out for storing and readback. It makes sense, I suppose, since the index of LBA to flash address must be stored on flash, and if it cannot read the flash, it cannot load its index, so it cannot do anything.

Feel free to run any experiments you can think of, including destructive ones.
    I have specialized hardware for these things so I don't use the BIOS, but yes the SSD never becomes ready and never gives access to any data.

Quote Originally Posted by bulanula View Post
    So then what is the consensus ? Can we not read the Samsung because it genuinely failed or because of the connector damage ?
    I am quite certain the connector is fine. The drive IS getting proper power and it is displaying the BUSY registry so the controller is at least somewhat starting up; it just doesn't work.