Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech releases Apogee XT Rev 2

Xtreme Member
    Martin210: Understood, I'll get the best measuring device I can find and report back (might only be to the mm though).

Paradoxx: Contact Michelle at Swiftech and see what can be sorted out - she's very helpful.

J

Xtreme Member
    I have an Apogee from my socket 775 build. Will it fit my 1155 build?

<---(prepares several dancing bananas and crosses fingers)
    | Intel 2500K @ 5GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz | Crucial M4 256GB | Asus GTX 770 OC | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W | Qnix QX2710

History: AXP-2400M, AXP-2500M, Core2 E6600 - all minimum 50% overclock

World Champion - IRONMODS
    I just received my block, thanks ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    This is what I'm looking for...Thanks!
    replace both "?" with "14mm" and you're all set

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sharp View Post

From the website (and printed on the side of the box )

The Apogee™ XT is shipped with a Universal hold-down plate and retention mechanism compatible with all Intel® Core™ desktop processors: sockets LGA775, 1155, 1156, and 1366. All Apogee™ XT waterblocks shipped to retail channels after November 1st 2009 include the motherboard back-plates for sockets LGA1366 (Core™ i7) and 1155/1156 (Core™ i5 and i7). The socket 775 motherboard back-plate is not included with the block and is mailed to users free of charge upon request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Ah, thank you! Their website was having some issues earlier

I still wonder if the original apogee will be 'forward' compatible. I guess worst case scenario, I may need a new mounting bracket. I will post back later in the week when my parts arrive.
    | Intel 2500K @ 5GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz | Crucial M4 256GB | Asus GTX 770 OC | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W | Qnix QX2710

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I just received my block, thanks ST

replace both "?" with "14mm" and you're all set

Awesome, thanks!

Xtreme Member

Ah, thank you! Their website was having some issues earlier

I still wonder if the original apogee will be 'forward' compatible. I guess worst case scenario, I may need a new mounting bracket. I will post back later in the week when my parts arrive.
    Your XT should have shipped with an 1156/55 and 1366 backplate, so you should be just fine. You shouldnt need anything else as long as you kept those original backplates that shipped with it. The rev 2 is only different in flow as it has an improved top. Unless you have a somewhat complex loop and lower grade pump then you really dont need the new top. But the new top will let you expand your loop with some flow rate to spare. So if your going to rebuild then you might want to consider getting it for expanding in the future.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post
    Your XT should have shipped with an 1156/55 and 1366 backplate, so you should be just fine. You shouldnt need anything else as long as you kept those original backplates that shipped with it. The rev 2 is only different in flow as it has an improved top. Unless you have a somewhat complex loop and lower grade pump then you really dont need the new top. But the new top will let you expand your loop with some flow rate to spare. So if your going to rebuild then you might want to consider getting it for expanding in the future.
    I purchased my Apogee in 2006 - before sockets 1155/56 and 1366 existed. So I don't have any extra plates other than old AMD socket adaptors.

Xtreme X.I.P.

I don't see 1155 compatibility in the apogee GT listing here.
    http://www.swiftech.com/apogeegt.aspx
    There is an optional part for the 1366, but nothing listed for the 1555.

But..it never hurts to ask them direct, I'd suggest contacting their customer support:

http://www.swiftech.com/contact-us.aspx

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Has anyone tested this to confirm?

It seems as though I'm getter better results doing the opposite on rev1..could just be mounting variability though..not sure yet.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone tested this to confirm?

It seems as though I'm getter better results doing the opposite on rev1..could just be mounting variability though..not sure yet.
    we should update this diagram with the following consideration: the Apoge XT was designed with socket 1366 in mind and this recommendation relies on our testing on several 1366 CPUs. Note that both socket 1156 and socket 1155 were not released back then.

What are you testing on?

Also note that there is quite a bit of variations from a CPU IHS to another, all of our tests (on socket 1366) showed better results with the 3 screws parallel to the socket lever. It's mainly just a piece of information we wanted to share with our customer so that they get the best out of their block.

We'll update this diagram to reflect this asap.

thanks!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenswiftech View Post
    we should update this diagram with the following consideration: the Apoge XT was designed with socket 1366 in mind and this recommendation relies on our testing on several 1366 CPUs. Note that both socket 1156 and socket 1155 were not released back then.

What are you testing on?

Also note that there is quite a bit of variations from a CPU IHS to another, all of our tests (on socket 1366) showed better results with the 3 screws parallel to the socket lever. It's mainly just a piece of information we wanted to share with our customer so that they get the best out of their block.

We'll update this diagram to reflect this asap.

thanks!
    No big deal, I was just curious what others have found. I'm testing on an i7 2600K 1155 platform and using a new old stock XT revision 1. I can see where it's important on the rev2 model, but revision 1 seems to have a fairly distributed flow in all directions. I tried to switch between mounts and have been getting very similiar results. Basically the differences are too small to measure without carrying it out over many many more mounts than I'm willing to.

A couple of my best mounts were opposite the diagram (on accident) so it had me wondering.

It's all good.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can't wait to see your 'rev 210' martin!
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    +1 to that

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    This is what I'm looking for...Thanks!
    Just measured with a ruler (sorry it's the best I can do).

14mm for both areas marked with a "?".

For others who are thinking of getting one, mine has the inlet plate prefitted.

The coating is scratched in a couple of places, but it looks like cosmetic damage only (and it's internal at that when assembled, so no big issue).

J

Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    I succesfully modded my Apogee XTL and MCW80 housings (Using my beloved Dremel and an attachment to calibrate the deep of the "lapping"). Actual gain: About 4ºC, and the flow is subjetive a lot better (I had a very restrictive loop with 1 XTL and 2 (SLI) MCW80. This time there was a lot easier to bleed the loop (I never saw the bubbles running so fast before!). Sorry that I was so excited that I dont make "objetives" measures before the MOD (SORRY!), anyway here are the pictures ( I cut the CPU block 14mm from the border...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV33315.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	114160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV33319.JPG 
Views:	530 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	114161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV33317.JPG 
Views:	510 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	114162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV33318.JPG 
Views:	624 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	114163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV33320.JPG 
Views:	529 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	114164  

Last edited by patriciogac; 05-05-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Xtreme Member
    You have inspired me!

Xtreme Member
    No big deal, I was just curious what others have found. I'm testing on an i7 2600K 1155 platform and using a new old stock XT revision 1. I can see where it's important on the rev2 model, but revision 1 seems to have a fairly distributed flow in all directions. I tried to switch between mounts and have been getting very similiar results. Basically the differences are too small to measure without carrying it out over many many more mounts than I'm willing to.

A couple of my best mounts were opposite the diagram (on accident) so it had me wondering.

It's all good.
    I’ll be building a third loop within the next week and I will be sure to test that. If I didn’t have indigo xtreme TIM I would be doing it right now..

Nice work patriciogac..
    Last edited by thegcpu; 05-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

I am Xtreme
    Are the replacement housings going to be sold from other retailers? Or just from swiftech.com?

Xtreme Member
    Retailers carry it.
    NCIX in Canada carries it too: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57138&...cture=Swiftech

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenswiftech View Post
    Retailers carry it.
    NCIX in Canada carries it too: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57138&...cture=Swiftech
    I was referring to the XT Rev 2 housing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I was referring to the XT Rev 2 housing.
    indeed I'd like to know the same thing

I am Xtreme

Looking at this picture, what is the specific purpose of that O-ring? I'm probably just missing something, but I don't think it's there to prevent leaks. Is it simply there to help force (restrict) water into the pins?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yep
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by patriciogac View Post
    I succesfully modded my Apogee XTL and MCW80 housings (Using my beloved Dremel and an attachment to calibrate the deep of the "lapping"). Actual gain: About 4ºC, and the flow is subjetive a lot better (I had a very restrictive loop with 1 XTL and 2 (SLI) MCW80. This time there was a lot easier to bleed the loop (I never saw the bubbles running so fast before!). Sorry that I was so excited that I dont make "objetives" measures before the MOD (SORRY!), anyway here are the pictures ( I cut the CPU block 14mm from the border...)
    Nice work...

I'll have to try that, looks like a nice easy mod for the XTL and MCW80 owners.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post

Looking at this picture, what is the specific purpose of that O-ring? I'm probably just missing something, but I don't think it's there to prevent leaks. Is it simply there to help force (restrict) water into the pins?
    It's just there to prevent pin bypass and help bow the base along that shape is my impression. The base is bowed a bit in all directions, but I noticed TIM spread was fairly specific in one direction. I definitely wouldn't take it out though, if anything try Vapor's silicone mod to seal the pins even more.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast