View Poll Results: with or without the lizard?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • with

9 15.25%
  • without

50 84.75%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiftech to release Full Cover for Radeon HD6970

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    I think that sticker is a great compromise.

Maybe another thought for the next run of water cooling blocks is some sort of plastic cover to cover up the screws instead of a sticker? I know it would add to cost, but maybe people would prefer that as it would be one solid flowing piece.
    I decided to do the sticker for two reasons:

1. the great success encountered by the EVGA design (for the record, while the sticker was my suggestion, the graphic design was theirs, and it shows, as they have a team of professional graphic designers..)
    2. the perceived necessity to hide screw holes

Even the original sticker looks very good on the block when you see the real thing. It gives it a very clean professional appearance.

TBH, I am also a little tired of the techno look, and the sticker opens up all kind of creative ideas. The key is to do something that will stay in tune with the public taste. It's a challenge, but it's doable if I manage to hook up with some good creative ppl...

Note: removing the sticker is not too difficult and if you are careful, you can even put it back nice and clean.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-27-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Guru
    I was just offering another thought that you could look into Gabe as it seems there are a few people that don't like the idea of the sticker.

I think that sticker looks pretty nice and it seems to be a good compromise of all the input you got. Everyone has their own thoughts and it hard to please everyone.

Maybe another idea is to post templates to the stickers of each block you produce on your site so if someone wants to make their own custom sticker it would be really easy to do so as they will have the proper template.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    I was just offering another thought that you could look into Gabe as it seems there are a few people that don't like the idea of the sticker.

I think that sticker looks pretty nice and it seems to be a good compromise of all the input you got. Everyone has their own thoughts and it hard to please everyone.

Maybe another idea is to post templates to the stickers of each block you produce on your site so if someone wants to make their own custom sticker it would be really easy to do so as they will have the proper template.
    template: sure, why not. it's easy enough to do.

thanks for your input.
    CEO Swiftech

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Thanks for keeping us involved gabe....I love the way you cater to the community
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    All I ask if you do put a sticker on it, is that you use the kind of adhesive that will come off easily. Personally I can't stand the idea of a sticker, although I appreciate that some other people might like it. This seems like a moderate compromise to me :p
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Here is the final render.

This retains Pado's pin matrix pattern, but in a more subtle fashion.

I want to thank you all for your input, and conclude by a judicious observation made by my 13 year old daugter: "but Dad, what's important is how it works, No? "
    Your daughters is correct, but look at Noctua, they would sell so many more fans if they weren’t so ugly. Remember for some guys here the BLING is important.

Would you like some Pie?
    template: sure, why not. it's easy enough to do.

thanks for your input.
    And this is why I buy Swiftech stuff.
    Xeon W3520 @ 4.0Ghz ~ 3x 7970 ~ 12GB DDR3 ~ Dell U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
    And this is why I buy Swiftech stuff.
    +1
    also because of their competitive price, and availability in Microcenter
    I had to goto a hypnotherapist to not want to go max my credit card with part :|
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Member
    i just understand that I'll see that sticker only while installing. in "typical" case it will be on the bottom side of a card... since that you may place even a periodic table here...
    Last edited by Vetalar; 12-29-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Mr Swiftech
    Great News!

We are now in a position to explain some of the design elements that we couldn't discuss earlier due to Non Disclosure Agreements with AMD.

The 6970 and 6950 series Radeons are coming in 2 flavors. I am not sure I am allowed to use the same terminology as that used by AMD, so let's call the first batch of boards released and available on the market right now the "initial release", and the upcoming revision the "revision".

There are subtle differences between these boards that will prevent a block designed strictly to work with "initial release" to mount on "revision", and I am glad to announce that we designed the Komodo HD6900 water block to work with both by using different VRM plates; this is the reason why we alluded to the possibility of changing VRM plates as a potential for future upgrades in previous posts, without being able to provide much details as we couldn't dislose any.

Let's take a look at this in greater details:

This is the Komodo HD6900 base, compatible with Radeon HD6970 initial release, as well as current HD6950

Now this is the upgraded version, compatible with Radeon HD6970 "revision"; you can see the different VRM plate, the lower left standoff on the main GPU base plate adjusted to the right, and an additional standoff installed by the Northside memory bank.

From a practical standpoint, people who own an intial release board and Komodo waterblock, and want to port their block to a "revision" board will only have to get the separate VRM plate at a moderate cost.

Important Note: We also made sure that the block would line up perfectly in Crossfire, between "intial release" and "revision".

Now for the housing internals - from the pictures below, we can see that the flow from the main GPU cavity circulates to the VRM plate by moving thru a an upper cavity in the housing which is sealed by a top cover. The channels going to the VRM's were carefully designed to minimize pressure drop, reason why we publize that this block has moderate pressure drop. The third picture shows the block with the top cover, one of the considerations that led us to use a sticker to cover the unusual number of screws.

Main cavities side

Upper cavity side

Finally, the Chrome plated C110 copper base plate continues with the Komodo and Epsilon thin pin matrix design, which has proven to provide superior GPU cooling against other solutions.

We are working around the clock in production, and expect to release this block on January 15.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Guru
    I wonder if this block can be pioneer in new generic full cover design trend with exchangeable parts resulting in semi-universal waterblocks standing somewhere in the middle between universal VGA blocks and old unmodular blocks. Imho idea is worth exploring at least. As in - measure common gpu / memory placement, then in some "base block" to route flow arround (but with cutouts in common places with elements of big height in most cards) put different height "inserts" for GPU/two "inserts" for mem, and last one for VRM. Kind of like four waterblocks connected not with tubing but with semi-full-cover-alike "base block" instead. And for any different PCB all that's needed - release apropriate "inserts" or tell which ones from existing ones can be reused. Design can be more universal if since the beginning single slot cooling solution height is given up, then almost for sure "base block" will be above all higher elements on PCB, whatever their placement is.
    - imho it would be cheaper to replace one third of block then buying all anew for new GPU
    - "inserts" can be upgraded in such design - eg. one for gpu core with different structure/effectiveness/flow resistance with newer, more effective ones.
    Last edited by Church; 12-29-2010 at 03:54 PM.

The 6970 and 6950 series Radeons are coming in 2 flavors. I am not sure I am allowed to use the same terminology as that used by AMD, so let's call the first batch of boards released and available on the market right now the "initial release", and the upcoming revision the "revision".
    While the info about the block is fascinating this is what I'm most interested about.
    I'm assuming you can't tell us, but it'd be nice to know what that revision to the cards is, and whether it'll be better then the current revision. And if so should I wait for the new revision instead of buying 2 cards now.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by MengNa View Post
    While the info about the block is fascinating this is what I'm most interested about.
    I'm assuming you can't tell us, but it'd be nice to know what that revision to the cards is, and whether it'll be better then the current revision. And if so should I wait for the new revision instead of buying 2 cards now.
    Sorry, relatively to performance and price, I am unable (I don't have sufficient data) to comment on this.. technically, the power components are different, resulting in physical changes to the geometry of the VRM block, and there are also changes in some mounting holes.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Sorry, relatively to performance and price, I am unable (I don't have sufficient data) to comment on this.. technically, the power components are different, resulting in physical changes to the geometry of the VRM block, and there are also changes in some mounting holes.
    Yeah I thought so... But it never hurts to ask
    I really must say your design is very impressive! And that you would go to the trouble of designing an upgradable block for the purpose of saving people money shows just how great Swiftech is
    Edit to your edit: Seems weird though... Why didn't they just release the cards with the revision implemented? And what's the revision for? Was there a problem with the original design? Will the new revision improve performance or lower power consumption or something? Just random question but it's putting me off of buying the cards until there's news about what the new revision is for...
    Last edited by MengNa; 12-29-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Mr Swiftech
    I really must say your design is very impressive! And that you would go to the trouble of designing an upgradable block for the purpose of saving people money shows just how great Swiftech is
    Thanks; it literally took me twice (if not more) as long.. so I do appreciate the nod.
    CEO Swiftech

Thanks; it literally took me twice (if not more) as long.. so I do appreciate the nod.
    You're welcome
    Last edited by MengNa; 12-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Edit to your edit: Seems weird though... Why didn't they just release the cards with the revision implemented? And what's the revision for? Was there a problem with the original design? Will the new revision improve performance or lower power consumption or something? Just random question but it's putting me off of buying the cards until there's news about what the new revision is for...
    This is something that companies rarely do, they usually want you to get new stuff all the time.

And I really hope that other companies like EK, Koolance, DD follow in the same footsteps!

So to you guys!

Mr Swiftech
    Remember that I am the one who called this a "revision", just because I didn't want to use code name terminology, which is proprietary to the Company.

TBH I am not even sure that specific news will come out about the new cards, since the revisions seem minor from a functional standpoint. But from a cooling solution provider standpoint, they are significant enough that the design must be different.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Mentor
    Gabe, your a friggin genius. That is one of the most well thought out designs I have seen in a water block. Kudos to you and Swiftech for having some forthsight when making this block. You are probably right that the "revision" will probably rolled out very quietly and it will take word of mouth to figure out which cards need which VRM plate, but beats the hell out of buying a new block. On a side note, love the final design of the sticker, looks great, doesn't overwhelm, just looks great.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Gabe, your a friggin genius. That is one of the most well thought out designs I have seen in a water block. Kudos to you and Swiftech for having some forthsight when making this block. You are probably right that the "revision" will probably rolled out very quietly and it will take word of mouth to figure out which cards need which VRM plate, but beats the hell out of buying a new block. On a side note, love the final design of the sticker, looks great, doesn't overwhelm, just looks great.
    Yep but, it's only because they clued him in ahead of time.

With the way some of the companies alter the "reference" PCB, it will be hard to implement a "modular block" for "rouge" PCB designs that have qualities that make them worth buying (ex. good OCing).
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Yep but, it's only because they clued him in ahead of time.

With the way some of the companies alter the "reference" PCB, it will be hard to implement a "modular block" for "rouge" PCB designs that have qualities that make them worth buying (ex. good OCing).
    Yes, but Gabe could have said "F" it and created two blocks for the first and second revisions and no one would have been the wiser. Kudos to him for being a standup guy and not trying to screw the community.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Yes, but Gabe could have said "F" it and created two blocks for the first and second revisions and no one would have been the wiser. Kudos to him for being a standup guy and not trying to screw the community.
    Agreed , was more or less a note for the others above talking about modular blocks.
    Circles SucQ!

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    modular fullcover waterblock? dreams REALY come true on x-mass! excellent idea!

Xtreme Guru
    From a practical standpoint, people who own an intial release board and Komodo waterblock, and want to port their block to a "revision" board will only have to get the separate VRM plate at a moderate cost.
    Hell yeah! This is what i call awesome!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Nice design Gabe

Would be even better if Swiftech can produce a high performance universal GPU FC block.

Maybe you can combine this and CoolIT OMNI's "interposer plate" design.

Phil

i7 4GHz ♦ Asus R2G ♦ OCZ Intel XMP ♦ Asus 5870 ♦ Crucial M4 ♦ Swiftech ♦ Koolance

X4 3.5GHz ♦ Biostar 890GXE ♦ OCZ AMD BE ♦ Asus 8800 ♦ WD Veloci ♦ Swiftech ♦ XSPC

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast