Thread: 120mm Fan Testing on an MCR120 Radiator Round 6

Threaded View

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    sorry but..

hope the next GT15 are looking just as good as test 2 results,
    im really loving mine sofar
    Sorry but what?

Is there an expiration data printed on your fans somewhere? Is there documentation somewhere I can read that confirms fans can only be stored for 1month, 6months? How long are they stored at the vendors before you buy them? Oh and yes I'm stubborn and enjoy learning the hard way sometimes...

I do know that my Coolermaster R4 fan has a date printed on it of 9-13-2009. I would assume that is manufactured date, so that fan was over a year old when ordered brand new.... Should I RMA that fan for being over a year old too..?

Actually, we don't know much at all about date or ages or what if anything goes wrong with a fan in storage or even how long they are in storage before we get them..... Also this fan could have been defective from day 1...or it could be that all GTs behave randomly like this...it's all speculation. All I know is the sample I currently have performs randomly and has been since I've been working on the latter rounds of testing where I've actually tried to retest many times and have been seeing bigger variences. In round 2 my test bench was a bit lacking to pick up the find details. We really don't know anything more than this sample is currently behaving inconsistently. I will know more soon enough though as I get my hands on some other samples to check against.

I suspect there is actually quite a bit of sample variance out there. I've seen it with pressure drop testing of blocks, so I'm sure it's there with fans as well. Always a bit of a gamble, and most people would never know they got a less than ideal fan unless you tested it in detail and had another sample to compare against which nobody does...

Me too, the GTs are obviously really good, I just don't think they are perfect. I suspect they will be the fan to beat in the 1000-2000RPM range, but there are other factors to consider. For those looking to run under 1000RPM there may be better options and certainly lower cost options. But who knows....I'd like to see some good competition myself. I'm seeing stores bumping prices because supply isn't keeping up...and I don't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Martin: Oh, so maybe Vapor was responsible for recent world-wide AP15 shortage?
    No kidding, I'm just happy he's willing to share in all this AP wealth...

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    This is fantastic, I can't wait!
    I am looking forward to doing some 140 testing. I've been speculating that it's a direction we'll be going toward in general, but who knows. Maybe 120 is the sweet spot? We do know that you get more CFM per RPM, but we don't know too much about noise of 140s on a radiator.

Anyhow, I have two more recordings done that I'll process in the next couple of days, then I'll plan on batch #3 this coming weekend.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-08-2010 at 03:50 PM.