Thread: barb question, need help please.

Xtreme Member

barb question, need help please.

Ok, my build is 99% done, I just have 1 issue.

My MCR320 had one barb leak, badly. I put BitsPower barbs on my blocks, res and rad.

One Rad hole leaked. I switched the barbs and every BP barb I placed, leaked. Nothing else leaked, just one hole, regardless of what BP barb I put.

I put a swiftech 3/8 ID barb by accident, well not me, my helper did. No leak. I used a 1/2 to 3/8 ID adapter kit, and now my pump is pumping through a 3/8 ID hose into the radiatior.

I want to change it.

The question is: Do BP barbs have less threads? Which metal fittings have the most threads? The black plastic barbs have way too many threads, and can not be used in anything that I had.

It looks like the EK and Enzo have more threads from pictures online, but I want to be sure.

Anyone confirm this?

Xtreme Member
    I don't think more threads are going to help you bud. It would be the rubber seal on the bottom of the barbs. Try taking a seal off of one of the other fittings and putting it on the BP fitting, see if that helps. BTW are these all straight barbs we're talking about? No rotaries? BP a while ago has some issues with leaking rotaries and were gracious enough to replace them for free.

I had a similar problem with my mcr320 when i bought it. Seems that if you use big fittings it wont attach completely, o'ring wont be compressed and it will leak. On my case, i solved it using 2 o'rings per barb (only at the rad).

Xtreme Member
    O rings made no difference. I switched the O rings, switched barbs, used a second O ring. Every BP barb leaked on that one hole, with one O ring or two. The swiftech metal barbs did not leak at all. The barbs where all straight BTW.

These are the ones that leaked.

These did not.
    Last edited by Slave1974; 02-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Xtreme Member
    OK, you got me. I got nuttin left' Sorry bud you'll have to wait for someone better than I (not hard to find around here )

Xtreme Addict
    So the one bung hole leaks no matter what fitting you use? Sounds like you have a leaky bung hole ....ewwww.....This could be caused bu a deep scratch, crossthreading, overtightened breaking the solder joint or bad Mexican food!

Take a picture with it in and with it out so we can see what may be the problem.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, when I get back from Vegas next week I will do that.

Remeber though, it doesn't leak with the longer thread area from the swiftec barb, just the BP barb.

My engineer bud who was helping me said it looked like the radiator was missing a thread on the radiator on that side. The BP barbs worked just fine on one side, but not the other.