Swiftech
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 444

Thread: Nvidia responds to Batman:AA

  1. #1
    Xtreme Owner FUGGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,764

    Nvidia responds to Batman:AA

    NVIDIA statement on Batman AA
    A representative of AMD recently claimed that NVIDIA interfered with anti-aliasing (AA) support for Batman: Arkham Asylum on AMD cards. They also claimed that NVIDIA’s The Way It’s Meant to be Played Program prevents AMD from working with developers for those games.
    Both of these claims are NOT true. Batman is based on Unreal Engine 3, which does not natively support anti-aliasing. We worked closely with Eidos to add AA and QA the feature on GeForce. Nothing prevented AMD from doing the same thing.
    Games in The Way It’s Meant to be Played are not exclusive to NVIDIA. AMD can also contact developers and work with them.
    We are proud of the work we do in The Way It’s Meant to be Played. We work hard to deliver kickass, game-changing features in PC games like PhysX, AA, and 3D Vision for games like Batman. If AMD wants to deliver innovation for PC games then we encourage them to roll up their sleeves and do the same.

    NVIDIA Developer Relations
    ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
    ASUS GTX Titan
    Intel 4770K Overclocked
    Swiftech WC
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    4X Corsair Neutron SSD
    Corsair 1200i
    NZXT Phantom 800


    Intel I7 4960X
    Asus Rampage Extreme BE
    Asus GTX 780
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    Corsair Force GT RAID 0
    Corsair AX1200 PSU
    Dimas Benchtable

  2. #2
    And this explains why Batman Demo could run AA fine on ATI Radeon, after changing the device_id. NOT!

    Im sorry but this is a typical PR response they have given you Fugger

  3. #3
    Xtreme Member Bodkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    473
    Im felling for nvidia here. They put in the effort, and AMD did not. AMD is calling unfair. I dont see how it is

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Face Clinic, Harley Street
    Posts
    282
    in a way this seems knee jerk, and i would question the accessibilty of AMD to these titles that Nvidia is already 'Working On', i suspect every hurdle possible has been put in the way of AMD, similar to the Intel fiasco in the EU.

  5. #5
    Xtreme Member Bodkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    473
    ABout the hardware ID thing. Nvidia made the code work on there GPUs and therfore it was enabled. It was not checked on ATI hardware therefore it was not enabled. I dont think this is a case of fake blocks, rather rockstedy not wanting to enable features on untested cards.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    ABout the hardware ID thing. Nvidia made the code work on there GPUs and therfore it was enabled. It was not checked on ATI hardware therefore it was not enabled. I dont think this is a case of fake blocks, rather rockstedy not wanting to enable features on untested cards.
    Hmm, AA is such a new feature in gaming that everyone needs to hold hands of the software engineers to make it work... Right

    Furthermore can you imagine ATI telling the developers to go to hell when they requested hardware?

    Anyway this is kinda getting silly. I understand new directx 11 effects that need evaluation and testing, but AA?
    Last edited by Shadov; 09-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.

  7. #7
    Xtreme Enthusiast Truckchase!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North USA
    Posts
    670
    There is the DX Spec way to implement AA, and then there is this. This is one of those very rare moments in life where there is a right way to do something and a wrong way. This was done the wrong way. Story over.
    Asus P6T-DLX V2 1104 & i7 920 @ 4116 1.32v(Windows Reported) 1.3375v (BIOS Set) 196x20(1) HT OFF
    6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 3x2GB@ 7-7-7-24, 1.66v, 1568Mhz
    Sapphire 5870 @ 985/1245 1.2v
    X-Fi "Fatal1ty" & Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Speaks/Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (2005 Model) and a mini3 amp
    WD 150GB Raptor (Games) & 2x WD 640GB (System)
    PC Power & Cooling 750w
    Homebrew watercooling on CPU and GPU
    and the best monitor ever made + a Samsung 226CW + Dell P2210 for eyefinity
    Windows 7 Utimate x64

  8. #8
    Xtreme Member Bodkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadov View Post
    Hmm, AA is such a new feature in gaming that everyone needs to hold hands of the programing team to make it work...

    Im sorry but this is kinda getting silly. I understand new directx 11 effects, but AA?
    Im playing devils advocate here, im not any form of fanboi. But i suppose the argument against this is the unreal engine 3 has always had AA problems and if nvidia had not added there AA support mayby rocksteady would have not bothered at all

  9. #9
    Xtreme Addict jaredpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadov View Post
    And this explains why Batman Demo could run AA fine on ATI Radeon, after changing the device_id. NOT!

    Im sorry but this is a typical PR response they have given you Fugger
    I agree.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.

  10. #10
    Xtreme Addict LordEC911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    'Zona
    Posts
    2,280
    Link to response? Or was it an email/pm?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

    Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

  11. #11
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,657
    It's something called initiative, its a part of everyday life. You can sit back and wait for people to cater to you or you can go out and "make" things happen by taking the initiative.

    Don't blame the people putting forth effort and taking the initiative to make something happen because others may not think they need to put forth the same initiative to make things happen, as if everyone is entitled.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

    Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

    AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

  12. #12
    Xtreme Owner FUGGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,764
    The response was sent via email. I see that it was sent to several sites.
    ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
    ASUS GTX Titan
    Intel 4770K Overclocked
    Swiftech WC
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    4X Corsair Neutron SSD
    Corsair 1200i
    NZXT Phantom 800


    Intel I7 4960X
    Asus Rampage Extreme BE
    Asus GTX 780
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    Corsair Force GT RAID 0
    Corsair AX1200 PSU
    Dimas Benchtable

  13. #13
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    ABout the hardware ID thing. Nvidia made the code work on there GPUs and therfore it was enabled. It was not checked on ATI hardware therefore it was not enabled. I dont think this is a case of fake blocks, rather rockstedy not wanting to enable features on untested cards.
    Since it's not a DX11 title, it's quite strange they didn't test it on the Radeons. I mean, the 4000 series is only what, 15-18 months old now? Surely they didn't have time to test it!

    I'm getting the same vibe as with the reason for disabling PhysX if ATI card present; there were three reasons (not in order of importance):

    - Unable to validate
    - Business reasons
    - Development expense

    This stinks IMO. I can understand no1 but the other two?!

    Source

  14. #14
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    No(r)way
    Posts
    467
    So what's next? ATI have to start paying developers to add colour to games?
    Obsolescence be thy name

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    NVIDIA statement on Batman AA
    A representative of AMD recently claimed that NVIDIA interfered with anti-aliasing (AA) support for Batman: Arkham Asylum on AMD cards. They also claimed that NVIDIA’s The Way It’s Meant to be Played Program prevents AMD from working with developers for those games.
    Both of these claims are NOT true. Batman is based on Unreal Engine 3, which does not natively support anti-aliasing. We worked closely with Eidos to add AA and QA the feature on GeForce. Nothing prevented AMD from doing the same thing.
    Games in The Way It’s Meant to be Played are not exclusive to NVIDIA. AMD can also contact developers and work with them.
    We are proud of the work we do in The Way It’s Meant to be Played. We work hard to deliver kickass, game-changing features in PC games like PhysX, AA, and 3D Vision for games like Batman. If AMD wants to deliver innovation for PC games then we encourage them to roll up their sleeves and do the same.

    NVIDIA Developer Relations


    They didn't do it and Physx is awesome. So is the AA stuff in batman and their 3D vision glasses.


  16. #16
    Xtreme Cruncher XS_Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodin View Post
    So what's next? ATI have to start paying developers to add colour to games?
    This is exactly the point.

    How do they distinguish between graphical features that are assumed to work on all platforms (e.g. colour), and those which they will only enable for tested validated hardware (e.g. this implementation of AA)?

  17. #17
    Xtreme Member Bodkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by marten_larsson View Post
    Since it's not a DX11 title, it's quite strange they didn't test it on the Radeons. I mean, the 4000 series is only what, 15-18 months old now? Surely they didn't have time to test it!

    I'm getting the same vibe as with the reason for disabling PhysX if ATI card present; there were three reasons (not in order of importance):

    - Unable to validate
    - Business reasons
    - Development expense

    This stinks IMO. I can understand no1 but the other two?!

    Source
    I agree its wired they did not test on ATI hardware, but with TWIBTBP nvidia test your game only hundreds of configurations for you with little effort from the developer. ATI on the other hand dont seem to do much at all

  18. #18
    Xtreme Owner FUGGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,764
    I downloaded the demo and I must admit the Physx really make the games visual experience complete. Without it, it would be rather bland.
    ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
    ASUS GTX Titan
    Intel 4770K Overclocked
    Swiftech WC
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    4X Corsair Neutron SSD
    Corsair 1200i
    NZXT Phantom 800


    Intel I7 4960X
    Asus Rampage Extreme BE
    Asus GTX 780
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666C10
    Corsair Force GT RAID 0
    Corsair AX1200 PSU
    Dimas Benchtable

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Looks like the outrage was all for nothing.

  20. #20

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    I agree.
    So you are saying the engine does natively support AA, and nV paid the developer to remove it?

    I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

  22. #22
    Xtreme Addict Solus Corvus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodin View Post
    So what's next? ATI have to start paying developers to add colour to games?
    Nvidia: pioneering kickass, game changing features like color and AA.

  23. #23
    Stop...Ban-Hammer Time! DilTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,758
    The engine doesn't natively support it... Just check the menu for UT3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

  24. #24

    ...

    Honestly Im just worried this will end up in a huge game titles auction house.

    Wanted to try Batman 2? Sorry buddy you have an ATI Radeon card, this game runs only on GeForce. Are you interested in Dirt 3 or Alien Vs Predator 2... Sorry game works only on ATI Radeon.

    While both companies will survive this is very bad for consumers.

    Someone has to make it clear to Nvidia to not use and set such business practices before others adapt it and things start going downhill...

  25. #25
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by OCguy View Post
    Looks like the outrage was all for nothing.
    LOL! So when Nvidia says something it has to be true but not when AMD does? How is that?

    The truth is probably somewhere in between. Sure AMD/ATI could have worked closer with the developer to ensure AA was functional but at the same time it should be in the developers interest to see their game look as good as possible on any hardware. And to claim hardware wasn't available is ridiculous, the 4870/4850/4770/4890 costs less than an i7 965 - the four of them together.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •