Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collatz@Home (CUDA & ATI/CAL supported!!!.... HD2000 series upwards on ATI)

Collatz@Home (CUDA & ATI/CAL supported!!!.... HD2000 series upwards on ATI)

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/index.php

Collatz Conjecture is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in mathematics, specifically testing the Collatz Conjecture also known as 3x+1 or HOTPO (half or triple plus one). You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

Collatz Conjecture is based in Wood Dale, Illinois, USA and continues the work of the previous 3x+1@home BOINC project which ended in 2008.
    Stats: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...j=col&team=191

I see glannpat has joined.

BTW, don't forget to look through the threads on the forum. There is opti apps for the CPU client and the crunch3r ATI client as well as the CUDA client.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I see glannpat has joined.

BTW, don't forget to look through the threads on the forum. There is opti apps for the CPU client and the crunch3r ATI client as well as the CUDA client.
    Yep, I started running the CUDA version on a GTX 260. Looks like it should do around 10,000 points a day.

To get work for the GPU I did have to set for the resource share for the project to that I would accept both GPU and CPU work. I had set it to just GPU and it would not get work. From their message board it looks like there is a problem on how this works. So far out of 42 WUs I have only had run one on the CPU and that one took 126 minutes. The ones on the GPU have an elaspe time of around 23 minutes with only a few secounds of CPU time.

I will stay on here till I get 100,000 points.

Quote Originally Posted by glennpat View Post
    Yep, I started running the CUDA version on a GTX 260. Looks like it should do around 10,000 points a day.

To get work for the GPU I did have to set for the resource share for the project to that I would accept both GPU and CPU work. I had set it to just GPU and it would not get work. From their message board it looks like there is a problem on how this works. So far out of 42 WUs I have only had run one on the CPU and that one took 126 minutes. The ones on the GPU have an elaspe time of around 23 minutes with only a few secounds of CPU time.

I will stay on here till I get 100,000 points.
    Have you seen my solution to the CUDA only on their message boards?

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...read.php?id=35

Quote Originally Posted by riptide on Collatz forum
    Well AFIAK i takes BOINC up to 2 weeks to work out the projects "debt" so it might work later. I changed it earlier today to 0.1 day, but it still downloads 10 WU's.

Anyway, I haz a solution to BOTH problems.

I run rivatuner... so I go to the 'Schedule' tab on Rivatuner and I set it up to start a batch file when the GPU core temps drops below 60C (ie when all CUDA WU's are processed). Boinc will already be setup to NOT accept new taks.

The batch file that Rivatuner starts goes like this

Code:
    chdir C:\program files\boinc\
    boinccmd --project http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz allowmorework
    boinccmd --project http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz update
    ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 15000>nul
    boinccmd --project http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz nomorework
    That
    1) Allows more work
    2) Updates Project (ie. reports finished WU's + Download WU's)
    3) Ping command serves as a delay of 15 seconds which is enough time to download my alotted WU's
    4)Disallow new work.

The secret is that when ALL CUDA WU's are run, the 1st scheduler to operate is the GPU scheduler to download CUDA WU's. It takes about a minute for the CPU scheduler to kick in by which time the 'nomorework' command has kicked in. Hence I only ever get CUDA work.

That's what you call a Neat Kludge fix.

And it works for me, tested.

Have a nice day.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have you seen my solution to the CUDA only on their message boards?

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...read.php?id=35

I did read that today. Didn't notice at the time that you had wrote it. Maybe I will give it a try today. Thanks.

I did read that today. Didn't notice at the time that you had wrote it. Maybe I will give it a try today. Thanks.
    I looked at your WU's. You are lucky. You get paired up with decent wingmen to validate your WU's. I get paired up with mongo's who keep erroring the damn WU's. I've got pages and pages of pendings.

EDIT: Update, the Admin said that he has made a new scheduler that will honor the No CPU selection. So we SHOULD be able to download only CUDA work without any shenanigans.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-14-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Have you overclocked that 260 Glenn?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have you overclocked that 260 Glenn?

No. I was looking rivatuner and overclocking yesterday. I think I will give it a try.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I now have the GTX260 shaders overclocked at 1466Mhz. The base was 1242. I have been wanting to this since I bought a card that was not overclocked from the start. The card is a PNY VCGGTX260CXPB which I got for $132 after rebate.

I now have the GTX260 shaders overclocked at 1466Mhz. The base was 1242. I have been wanting to this since I bought a card that was not overclocked from the start. The card is a PNY VCGGTX260CXPB which I got for $132 after rebate.
    Excellent news. 18% increase = win. It *should* translate linearly to production.

IN other news, naja002 has joined and promptly destroyed us all with his legion of GPU's.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-17-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    IN other news, naja002 has joined and promptly destroyed us all with his legion of GPU's.

I'm pretty much done. I just realized that collatz has a gpu client, so I thought I would just check it out. Math/numbers projects are really not my thing, so you can have the lead back in a day or 2.....

I ran a little bit of Aqua a couple of weeks ago, I guess. But seems they have discontinued their Gpu client for now. I just ran some Cpu WUs, but I started getting 190 hr WUs and the same points or less as the 30 min WUs. They really need to get their stuff sorted out.

Collatz is definitely worth some boinc points though. I ran ~24 hrs, showing 39K and still have a lot of pending validation results....
    Last edited by Naja002; 08-17-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Ya. I see Aqua has dropped teh CUDA alright. Collatz is cool because they have pretty active developers. Coming soon even as we speak, they are going to bring out a faster CUDA app and lots of other optimizations for other apps aswell.

Somebody called "grayhoose" joined us. Now if i didn't know better I'd say it was Daddy Dak, drunk again one night and miss spelled greygoose. Rofl. http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...hp?userid=1315 whoever you are.

Xtreme Addict
    Does DAK do AMD? Both rigs are AMD....

Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    Does DAK do AMD? Both rigs are AMD....
    Dunno. I doubt it. I thought his were mostly Q6600 type Intels.

Xtreme Addict
    I checked his Gpugrid before posting and they were all intel......

So.....

Xtreme Cruncher
    its not me, im just squeaking by on only 2 rigs going, and just 1 gpu
    Its not overkill if it works.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I'm trying to join to get this 4870X2 to do some work, but I don't want to take away from WCG projects because I feel they need the CPU runtime more. I've updated to the 6.10 BOINC client and downloaded and installed the "optimised" files for my system, but my 4870X2 still isn't doing anything, just my CPU cores.

Someone mentioned a "No CPU" selection above, but I can't see that option in either the BOINC Preferences menu or the Collatz online preferences settings. Help?
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Here's a SS....last line:

Login to your account>Preferences>Resource share and graphics--Collatz Conjecture preferences>Edit Collatz Conjecture preferences

It ran fine for me with the cpu running Aqua or WCG....

I ran Collatz on Nvidia w/o any issues....are you sure they are doing both Nvidia and ATI?
    Last edited by Naja002; 08-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Ah, was looking under general preferences! And I sure hope it supports ATi, says so in the thread title and on the project page.

Hmm. Changed those preferences to use GPU only, BOINC tells me that I've got two ATi GPUs connected (true - 4870X2), but the Collatz stats page seems to think that the rig it's running on has no GPU attached, and despite multiple reboots of BOINC Collatz is still ignoring my GPU and running on CPU.
    Last edited by SoulsCollective; 08-26-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Have you read all the ATi threads on their board? have you renamed the brook.dll files etc? I don't have a ATi, so I'm not intimate with all the details...

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Brook.dll rings no bells at all, so probably not. I did need to rename a couple of .dll's in my System32 folder from ati.xxx.dll to amd.xxx.dll to get the optimised files working, but I couldn't see any requirements to change anything else on the forums - was there a specific link you were thinking of?
    Rig specs

Xtreme Cruncher
    Joined up, got it running on the 9600GSO and 9600GT TOP.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed View Post
    Joined up, got it running on the 9600GSO and 9600GT TOP.
    Just saw that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast