Thread: AMD Phenom II TWKR Black Edition spotted

Hybrid View

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    You know how chips are binned/sorted in factories, right? AMD doesn't bake a batch of chips and just call them Phenom II X4 955s. These chips are plucked from the lines because they fit certain electrical characteristics that the engineers believe falls in line with high frequency. Oh, and the snipe about the Q9650 is wrong, I don't think I've seen a Q9650 run a benchmark past 5GHz.
    Obviously you read my post wrong. However, a super-binning is just what it is; we're yet to see what kinda overhead these chips have under extreme cold, where we all know PH II shines; as in, will these finally break the 7Ghz barrier. If there were such chips, the Scandinavian guys, and even Kingpin would have ocs by now showing those numbers. The fact that they don't for me says a lot. I mean all these guys play with are ES chips - at least in most of their record breaking attempts.

On the Q9650 vs this chip, I'm talking from the perspective of a regular system with mainstream cooling (air, water) for 24/7 use. Isn't that what matters. I mean, I'm yet to see anyone who uses ln2/lhe for 24/7 use?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    Obviously you read my post wrong. However, a super-binning is just what it is; we're yet to see what kinda overhead these chips have under extreme cold, where we all know PH II shines; as in, will these finally break the 7Ghz barrier. If there were such chips, the Scandinavian guys, and even Kingpin would have ocs by now showing those numbers. The fact that they don't for me says a lot. I mean all these guys play with are ES chips - at least in most of their record breaking attempts.

On the Q9650 vs this chip, I'm talking from the perspective of a regular system with mainstream cooling (air, water) for 24/7 use. Isn't that what matters. I mean, I'm yet to see anyone who uses ln2/lhe for 24/7 use?
    This chip is especially cut out for extreme conditions - so your point is?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    This chip is especially cut out for extreme conditions - so your point is?
    I thought all PH IIs were? Or these ones will function at absolute zero? Try again. Or do you mean, these will function at 90c loads, like C2Q? That'll be a nice change, won't it?

Xtreme Addict
    I thought all PH IIs were? Or these ones will function at absolute zero? Try again. Or do you mean, these will function at 90c loads, like C2Q? That'll be a nice change, won't it?
    No these are high-leakage chips which will OC very well under Phase, Ln2, LHe.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    This is where I won't even bother trying to have a dicussion with a moron.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=226784

Edit: ah, you ninja edited. just pretend I made that quote up then.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Banned
    No these are high-leakage chips which will OC very well under Phase, Ln2, LHe.
    These are not a new phenomena either; the high leakage chips have always been the preferred chips for cherry-picking. Or are you denying these chips are already in circulation? Cough* Cough* Chew* Sampsa*

Brilliant Idiot
    These are not a new phenomena either; the high leakage chips have always been the preferred chips for cherry-picking. Or are you denying these chips are already in circulation? Cough* Cough* Chew* Sampsa*
    The retails are binned from factory

The super high leakage never make it into retail or pre release retail variants. The electrical properties don't warrant it.

These chips are and don't take this as law but probably destined for the trash...they probably run hotter than average.....however with some ignenuity and quality air and or water cooling will exceed retails on the same cooling.

I personally would not submit records with cherry picked chips....unless they had there own class, enter the TWKR edition.

I submitted 1 4890 result which I have every intention of smashing and know for a fact that I can smash it or I wouldn't have submitted it.

I do have 1 ES left here but that chip can not match the retail
    Last edited by chew*; 06-12-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    The retails are binned from factory

The super high leakage never make it into retail or pre release retail variants. The electrical properties don't warrant it.

These chips are and don't take this as law but probably destined for the trash...they probably run hotter than average.....however with some ignenuity and quality air and or water cooling will exceed retails on the same cooling.

I personally would not submit records with cherry picked chips....unless they had there own class, enter the TWKR edition.

I submitted 1 4890 result which I have every intention of smashing and know for a fact that I can smash it or I wouldn't have submitted it.
    Nice to know; I know you can tell us more about the oc headroom on these chips but you're under NDA so I won't bother. But could you give an indication between these and your best 955BE? Are these 965BEs or even 975BEs?

Xtreme Addict
    snip~ will these finally break the 7Ghz barrier. If there were such chips, the Scandinavian guys, and even Kingpin would have ocs by now showing those numbers. The fact that they don't for me says a lot.
    Check the CPU-Z hall of fame.
    7127.85 has been validated

http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

EDIT: ok, some how missed that it was confirmed a fake. I only saw the accusations.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 06-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post

Thats a fake gold......confirmed by AMD themselves.
    heatware chew*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post

I thought someone would bring this up, but those scores look suspect. I remember there were more that got taken down. Even AMD's own cherry-picked chips and in the hands of guys I trust, people like Sampsa, SF3D and Macci, and Kingpin, couldn't break that barrier. I want to see screenshots. Why would anyone go to those lengths without taking a screenshot? Beats me. The 7Ghz barrier is close enough that it's as well as broken by PH II, but that result is just not genuine, imo.

Edit: Thanks Chew, you beat me to it. Oh, if I might add, Chew is another person's result I would be looking at closely.
    Last edited by Zucker2k; 06-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Well they submitted I think 2 or 3 with multis not possible.....just becasue they are there in bios does not mean they work.........So after considering it was a cheated result 2 or 3 times by the same guys......well if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck............
    heatware chew*