Thread: Ok, I'm Chilled. I'm Chilled. Relax....56K Warning!

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast

Talking

nice setup man.

im just curiuos tho at your 920 @ 4.1 @ 68c,that does not sound all that good,no offense.but ppl can get that on regular water i suppose.i dunno??is that screenshot with the cpu loaded(primed,occt in the background?) i missed somewere.or is that good for a 920 at 4.1 on chilled water???.

and why are your volts that hi?they needed that hi?
    guy below in the link i pasted is it D0 at 4.0Ghz (1.3v vcore)
    http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

at intel specsheet Thermal Specification on 920

if u clik the link and clik thermal specification it says 67.9 for 920,s????
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...x?sSpec=SLBCH#
    and your at 68 core 1 idle?

"Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached"

read this I7 920 @ 4.0ghz temps

"I have a D0 at 4.0Ghz (1.3v vcore) and I hit just over that running OCCT with a large dataset, high priority, hyperthreading on. I max at about 86C in OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 83C. Idle I'm around 53-55C OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 50-53C." read link below

your Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread IS AMAZING,HAHAHA!!!!
    Last edited by railmeat; 06-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    heatkiller(rev3) on 2500k@ 4.5ghz 1.35v,8 gigs 2133 ripjaws 1.5v
    Swiftech Mcp-655,1/2in tygon,13x120 sunnons on junk ps,
    (2)triple 120mm rads,Biostar TP67XE(rev 5.2)
    150 gig velicraptor (stable drive) ssds r still buggy!!
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras, sen hd-595s
    Evga Hydro gtX 590,co0lermaster-1250 watt,
    24" Sony fw-900 black ops at @ 2304x1440 85hz/85fps SOLID
    G@m3r 4 L1Fe!!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0VIEW%20ALL--/
    3dmark 11 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1102387

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eBoy0 View Post
    I had my chiller setup similarly, boy did it rattle like crazy resting on that 2x4.
    It's really not all that loud considering that it's a low end air conditioner. There is a slight rattle when the compressor is on, but it's nothing obnoxious. The fan runs 24/7, and when I go out there I pretty much have to look at the killawatt to tell/verify that the compressor is running....not just the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by railmeat View Post
    nice setup man.

im just curiuos tho at your 920 @ 4.1 @ 68c,that does not sound all that good,no offense.but ppl can get that on regular water i suppose.i dunno??is that screenshot with the cpu loaded(primed,occt in the background?) i missed somewere.or is that good for a 920 at 4.1 on chilled water???.

and why are your volts that hi?they needed that hi?
    guy below in the link i pasted is it D0 at 4.0Ghz (1.3v vcore)
    Just to point out: I'm not sub-zero, I am sub-ambient. Most folks go sub-zero with a chiller, so others see "chiller" and automatically think "sub-zero". I'm currently running water that is 63-68F/17-20C.

I think the main reasons for the temps and volts are:

1) I'm still running on an ApogeeGT Water Block. It's a bit out-dated, but I picked up a couple of holddown plates a few months back from Duniek. Trust me: A heatkiller Cu would drop that temp a bit. But with 3 rigs on the same WCing system--I have to be aware of block flow/restrictions. Mixing and matching blocks can wreak all kinds of havoc.

2) It's a C0/C1, not a DO. So, it doesn't OC as well at the same volts.

3) It was a fairly new OC and could still use some "tweaking". In the past: I was at 4.0 for a short while (few days). Ran 3.8 for 2-3weeks until I knew summer temps where going to force me to lower the OC for the summer. So, I moved it down to 3.4 for a week or so until I got this chiller up and running. Then I went back to 4.0, and then up to 4.1. Checked out 4.2+ and decided that 4.1 was good enough....at least for now. I'm not an OCer. I'm not a Bencher. I'm a Cruncher (Boinc: WCG + GpuGrid) that stumbles along in the OCing world. That said:

4) The volts are set at 1.38 (?). But go up to the 1.424 shown when under load. Truth is: If I could remember, or even knew, what half of the bios settings did....I would do a bit better. I'm not totally clueless, but I could definitely use some "growth" in that area. From what I have gathered from looking around 1.36-1.39 is not unreasonable for 4.0 C0/C1. Maybe I'm wrong.....

5) This i7 is a 24/7 cruncher and my everyday rig. I prefer (usually) a bit more voltage so things are "snappy" and respond well. I don't like limping along on the lowest voltage that I can get by with. Why it moves itself from 1.38 to 1.424 under load--I don't know. But the 1.424 was the same at 4.2+......

at intel specsheet Thermal Specification on 920

if u clik the link and clik thermal specification it says 67.9 for 920,s????
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...x?sSpec=SLBCH#
    and your at 68 core 1 idle?

"Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached"
    Well, that confuses me. I've always thought that the thermal specification would be like the high-end "safe" temp...or limit. But my understanding is that 90C is the new 70C (1366 v 775), and that quote seems to have something to do with: Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode. The whole purpose of this chiller is to maintain what I consider a reasonable OC at a reasonable temp (70C or below) 24/7 throughout the summer. So, maybe somebody would care to breakdown what that actually means for me?

read this I7 920 @ 4.0ghz temps

"I have a D0 at 4.0Ghz (1.3v vcore) and I hit just over that running OCCT with a large dataset, high priority, hyperthreading on. I max at about 86C in OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 83C. Idle I'm around 53-55C OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 50-53C." read link below

Ok, I read it, and I'm not sure what you are getting at..... , but here's the full quote:

I have a D0 at 4.0Ghz (1.3v vcore) and I hit just over that running OCCT with a large dataset, high priority, hyperthreading on. I max at about 86C in OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 83C. Idle I'm around 53-55C OCCT, Coretemp reads it at 50-53C.

For some reason Coretemp(and realtemp) register my temps 3C lower than OCCT does.

I run perfectly stable, not sure how you can get a 4GHz OC, even with a D0, and not go over 70C full load.
    Emphasis added.

I've not checked out OCCT. I OC for 24/7 crunching stability and on this i7--I also use it for everyday use. As far as temp readings--which is right? Realtemp seems to be the standard, with Coretemp = or a close 2nd. Then there's Everest, OCCT and what else? I go by Realtemp with a 100 TjMax as I think most do these days. From what I can gather those guys are referring to air, not water. But the last statement sums things up pretty good: It's not easy running 4.0 or above under 70C.....and again: I'm using an ApogeeGT block--that says a lot.

your Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread IS AMAZING,HAHAHA!!!!
    Thanx! It was a lot of fun. I definitely learned a lot about the functionality of it all during the process. Sad to see it go, but I've moved on to this chiller..... But No Fear--I am keeping the car rads for now, because: I have a Plan....

A bit of an update:

Putting the tubing over the temp probe seemed to help, but only some. Ambient temps in the out-building directly effect the mechanical thermostat, so when temps outside (/in the out-building) get below the set temp--the mechanical thermostat shuts the compressor off and leaves it off. I've thought and thought, tried to insulate the thermostat, etc. I have quite a bit of experience from my +30yrs dealing with reptiles, aquariums, etc. I cannot see any reasonable, simple way to overcome this. So, I went ahead and bought 1 of these:

Ranco 111000

I looked at the Johnson Controls. I have a couple of Helix Proportional Controllers, but they are Proportional, so they won't work in this situation. Anyway, the Ranco have been around for a long, long time. They are used by zoos and aquaruims worldwide. Many, many animal keepers (public or private) use them. Convenience stores, restaurants for their coolers/freezers. In all: they are tried and true. Very reliable units.

They offer heating or cooling (not both on single stage), temp range from -30 to 220F, and a Differential range: 1° to 30°F.

They are designed for use with resistive loads (motors) and will resolve this issue 100%. The differential range will allow me to set the temps at which the compressor kicks on and off. With the mechanical thermostat it's 5F. Now I will be able to set it anywhere from 1-30F.

I'm hoping it gets here this coming week. I did not buy the wired shown, so I need to pick up the wiring, get it wired up and installed. Until then: My water temps are 63-68F and humidity stays ~50% in here, so condensation starts forming at about 84-85F/30C in here. I'll have to keep the A/Cs running until I get this setup. I usually turn them up to 82F when I'm not here/working. The ambient right at the PCs goes up to 85-86F which is too high=condensation.

Fingers crossed on no more major issues between now and then....
    Last edited by Naja002; 06-07-2009 at 12:00 AM.