Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooler Master ATCS 840

Cooler Master ATCS 840

Cooler Master ATCS 840

The first computer case that pops into your head when you say classic, luxury, or high end, would be a Lian-Li or Silverstone. Not anymore. Cooler Master has been in the market for over a decade. They run lines of power supplies, CPU coolers, and computer cases. Popular lines include the Stacker, Cosmos, and the CM690. They were very popular for modding. Cooler Master seemed to lack a classic looking/high end case, until now. Clan Team Xtreme has the honor to review this Full Tower Premium Chassis. They call it, the ATCS 840. (Active Thermal Convection System)

Packaging

When the box arrived, it had your “minor” damage that the delivery people tend to cause. Luckily Cooler Master noticed this and made sure to package the case very well. The box is reinforced with double corrugated cardboard. The chassis is wrapped in a plastic bag, with Styrofoam on each end of the case to protect the corners from dents, scrapes, and the tossing and turning that occurs while shipping. The ATCS 840 package design is just what you would expect with a normal case. It includes the usual black text with descriptions, graphics, etc. After removing the packaging from the case there was no dents, scratches, or abnormal marks. I was surprised!

Specifications

Available Colors: Black and Silver
    Case Material: Aluminum
    Dimensions: (W) 243 x (H) 580 (D) 630 mm
    (W) 9.57 x (H) 22.83 x (D) 24.80 inches
    Net Weight: 13.25 kg (29.21 lbs)
    Gross Weight: 15.75 kg (34.72 lbs)
    Motherboard Type: Micro-ATX/ ATX/ E-ATX
    5.25” Drive Bay: 6 Exposed (without the use of the exposed 3.5” drive bay)
    3.5” Drive Bay: 6 Hidden
    1 Exposed
    I/O Panel: USB x 4, IEEE 1394a x 1, eSATA x1, Mic x 1, Audio x 1
    Expansion Slots: 7 (vented)
    Cooling: Front: 230 x 30mm fan x 1, 700 RPM, 19 dBA (included)
    Rear: 120 x 25mm fan x 1, 1200 RPM, 17 dBA (included)
    Top: 230 x 30mm fan x 2, 700 RPM, 19 dBA
    Bottom: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)
    HDD: 120mm fan x 2 (optional)
    External Air Duct: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)

Features

I will proceed onto the features and design of the case, which was a very pleasant spectacle.

Front View

Side View With Panel

Top Fans With Grill On

To take the grill off, you just need to remove the two top thumb screws, and proceed to pull it straight backwards.

Inside of case when arrived

Transversally Mounted Hard Drive Bays

Push Button 5.25” Bays

Front Fan View/HDD Fan Mount

Vented PCI Slots

Top Power Supply Bay/ Water Cooling Holes

Back View

I/O Panel: This is another innovative design from Cooler Master. When pushed in, the I/O ports are concealed. After pushed in, it pops up, revealing all of them, nice for those who want a clean looking case when not using headphones, USB, etc.

Cables For Front I/O

Motherboard Tray: So, whats so special about this? Well, Cooler Master was brilliant enough to use ball bearings, 96 total, on the motherboard tray. This allows for effortless, smooth, sliding when removing the tray, and sliding in too! This also is nice because it prevents metal-on-metal contact. Very handy tool!

Ball Bearings

Tray When Removed

Continuing on for those who would like to know the size of this case compared to another, I have a CM690 side by side with it. As you can see, it is much wider, thanks to the 230mm fan located on the front of the chassis.

Accessories : The black pieces of plastic are the mounts for a 120.3mm radiator if you decide to liquid cool. This replaces the 2 top fans. Also included are 6 large zip-ties. 5 of them are in the accessories box, and one is already mounted on the case. Also included are a handful of small zip-ties, screws for the motherboard, a motherboard speaker, a power supply stabilizer bracket (if used on top bay), and a CPU 8 pin extension if your power supply doesn't cut it for length. A fan grill for the air duct is also included.

Air Duct Installed

The manual shows detailed info on installation if you need help.

My one gripe is this, which may have been missed when on the line, but nonetheless, its there. The case is missing a rivet on the top corner, which is probably the worst place to be missing one.

Overall, this cases design is well thought out, from little things such as the thick aluminum frame construction, to the ball bearing motherboard tray. Besides the missing rivet, I couldn't see any real design flaws. Let’s get to construction.

Construction

Building with the ATCS 840 was the easiest computer that I've ever assembled. The removable tray made installing various parts simple. I didn't have to worry about cramming my hands inside the case, although without a tray, I couldn't see that being a problem since the immense amount of room that this case has.

I could've and should have hid the I/O cables better, but the main cables, such as the CPU, ATX, and video card connectors were tucked away nicely behind the tray, and then brought back out to their destination. The holes worked very well.

Final Thoughts

Well, there's so much about this case that makes it competitive with Lian-Li, and Silverstone. Evidence such as; the removable motherboard tray, high airflow with the 3 monstrous fans, and the all aluminum construction, show that Cooler Master is back in the game, and with a huge bang. This case offers more features than Lian-Li's offering, and possibly even the Silverstone. Don't count out Cooler Master next time when looking for a premium chassis. I know I won't!

The Verdict

Packaging: 9/10 Frags: Double corrugated cardboard, and superb protection make up for the colorless design

Style: 10/10 Frags: Cooler-Master has taken a new path with this beautiful chassis, aluminum finish looks great

Design: 10/10 Frags: All aluminum construction puts it into the luxury dept. spacious interior room, plus a semi-compact overall size that still fits under a desk

Features: 10/10 Frags: No questions asked, the sliding motherboard tray, high airflow fans, and pop up I/O port sets a new standard for high end cases

Price: 9 Frags: Offers more bang-for-buck than its Lian-Li/Silverstone competitors

This Case Receives a 9.6/10 which makes it Clan Team Xtreme Approved!

Review Staff
    Riggs Clough
    Last edited by [cTx]SGT.Viper; 12-03-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    We Are Xtreme! Are You?

Free private ventrilo channels at vent6.gameservers.com port 4672.

Xtreme Mentor
    They do have great products, and I'm a proud owner, but their quality is mediocre compared to Lian-Li. Then again, they do come with a price tag.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member
    Just to check, how many fans are there in total?

And how many fans can u install? 120mm, 140mm, 230mm?

Not a bad review mate.

Only one criticism. The logo on your pics are quite annoying and take the focus off the case. Perhaps just the one pic in the top corner?

Other than that

Engineering The Xtreme
    A true beauty of a case, inside and out. and a great review, you should check out making a DIY lightbox for your pics to make your review much more professional.

to bad it's still not big enough for me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    They do have great products, and I'm a proud owner, but their quality is mediocre compared to Lian-Li. Then again, they do come with a price tag.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that m8...
    Their quality especially in their top alu series cases is excellent
    at least ~90% of LLs imho...
    and they do pay attention to user needs
    thus implementing ιnnovative ideas quicker than others
    And keep in mind that all those things come with a reasonable pricetag

i'd rather have CMs extras in case
    (ball bearing removable tray, vented exterior pci brackets,
    ready-to-use to radiator mount, socket holes on mobo tray, etc...)
    instead of some diamond cut aluminum details for the same $$ on a LL case

but as i said
    thats just my humble opinion

Xtreme Addict
    can you fit a tall aircooler and then slide it in?

Quote Originally Posted by GregSG View Post
    Just to check, how many fans are there in total?

And how many fans can u install? 120mm, 140mm, 230mm?
    2x230mm top, 1x230mm front, 1x120mm rear

you can fit an additional 2x120mm on the HDD cage
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Member
    Oh thanks, but i was wondering if i could swap the 23cm cans for 12cm fans, and how many would i be able to swap?

A really nice case! I love the "stainless" look of the polished aluminum. The features make this case an easy build from what I can see. Sorry about the watermark. I didn't think it was that bold. We'll tone it down more in the future. Getting a lightbox would be a good idea. We have different members doing the reviews for different products, so that might be a problem. Thank you to the Clan Team Xtreme crew who pulled this together for the midnight release. GOOD JOB!

Xtreme Member
    If I understood it correctly you can change the 2 230mm fans in the roof to 3 120mm fans. You can also add a fan in the bottom of the case

Xtreme Member
    I would imagine that you can place a 3 x 140 mm radiator up there. Should be interesting. Althoguh I would of loved the option to have a side panel mesh area, to install some fans on the side, to exit on top.

An amazing return to form. I personally owned 3 Atcs cases, and I'm fairly certain that I will be purchasing this one.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by avddreamr View Post
    I would imagine that you can place a 3 x 140 mm radiator up there.
    assuming my math is right it wont work quite correctly:

120mm fans have holes which are 105mm apart along the square edge. 105/120 = .875

(230*2)*.875 = 402.5mm length from first fan screw to last fan screw

GTX 420 radiator is 417.5 first fan screw to last fan screw and is 460mm in total :\

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    Case was a dream to work with guys! I love it! It'll be housing my stuff for years to come!
    I am Xtreme

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    can you fit a tall aircooler and then slide it in?

2x230mm top, 1x230mm front, 1x120mm rear

you can fit an additional 2x120mm on the HDD cage
    Yes you can. I could put my CoolIT water cooler together on it with tray slid out.

I would imagine that you can place a 3 x 140 mm radiator up there. Should be interesting. Althoguh I would of loved the option to have a side panel mesh area, to install some fans on the side, to exit on top.

An amazing return to form. I personally owned 3 Atcs cases, and I'm fairly certain that I will be purchasing this one.
    A mesh side panel may have taken away from the classic design that Cooler Master was aiming for. But it probably will be an option sooner or later.
    I am Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    I'll be picking mine up tomorrow. Do you happen to know if you could remove one of the top bays to fit in a feser 480 quad rad?

Xtreme Member
    I don't believe any 4x120mm radiator will fit completely internally on either the HAF932 and ATCS 840. A 3x120mm radiator will fit, there are even screw holes for the radiators on the top.

Xtreme Cruncher

Same here - still miss my brushed aluminum Pratetorian case. I see these have arrived at the Egg - so I'm working up my i7 build now.
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    I don't believe any 4x120mm radiator will fit completely internally on either the HAF932 and ATCS 840. A 3x120mm radiator will fit, there are even screw holes for the radiators on the top.
    Even if you remove (if possible) a 5.25mm bay? Or is width the problem?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulesschild View Post
    Even if you remove (if possible) a 5.25mm bay? Or is width the problem?
    The fact is that even with mounting a 3x120mm fan/radiator setup, you are already going into the area of the top 5.25" bay. With thicker fans or radiators, you may even take up 2 5.25" bays.

So, no, width is not a problem.

Xtreme Member
    I just wish that more cases came with the interior painted. Yes , its a relatively easy process but I'm lazy!

Xtreme Member

Smile

Great case

I want one
    • i7 920 D0
    • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    • Corsair Dominator 12GB
    • MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC 2GB
    • OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    • WD1002FAEX 1TB
    • Corsair HX850W
    • CaseLabs Magnum TH10
    • Dell UltraSharp U2410
    • Logitech G500
    • SteelSeries QcK Mass
    • Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

Xtreme Member
    i want to see this case running on water

great review!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8golf View Post
    Same here - still miss my brushed aluminum Pratetorian case. I see these have arrived at the Egg - so I'm working up my i7 build now.
    Much cheaper at other shops, you can get it for $250-$260 shipped compared to $310 shipped at the egg.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Mentor
    That case is massive! I want one.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you have the dimensions of the upper fan area where a radiator would go...length, depth, width?

I have an idea for a custom shroud...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast