Page 1 of 99 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

Hybrid View

uncore challenged...

Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

This isn't going to be a typical OC Report like my last in that it will be much more compressed and focused solely on results. It will also be a bit of a Live OC Report as I will be posting results as I obtain them, and not just all at once after all testing is done. This may be a little un-organized but, what can you do? At this point, we are all familiar with ASUS and their motherboard line. Sure it may be confusing, but no one can say it lacks options. The recent gem of the bunch is the Rampage Extreme and ever since the first results have shown up in the forums, we have all been clammering to get one. I have managed to do just that and from what I have seen, this board definitely isn't going to let me down.

First and foremost, the sample I have was sent directly from ASUS as a review sample for HardwareCanucks.com. The entire review will be posted there in due time, but for now, consider this a sneak peek of what that will offer. Of course, this thread will also be home to all of the more exciting results with sub-zero cooling that I manage to come up with. This sample is a full retail product with serial number and all so it isn't an ES but it has been tested before heading out to me. This doesn't mean it was hand picked from my understanding, just pre-tested to ensure its functioning. Below you can find an easy to navigate directory for the various sections that will be populated with results from this board.

Directory:
    1. Index
    2. Quick Specifications & Pricing
    3. Package & Layout
    4. Blue Martini's: BIOS Screenshots
    5. Appetizer: FSB Clocking
    6. First Course: Memory Clocking
    7. Second Course: GPU Testing
    8. Main Course: CrossFire Feast
    9. Insulation: You Can Live Without It, But Very Wet
    10. Dessert: Sub-Zero Benching & Other Goodies

Let's get started with a quick look at the specifications and pricing that this board is coming out at.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 09-05-2008 at 03:32 PM.

uncore challenged...

Quick Specifications & Pricing

I don't think most viewers of this thread are really going to be interested in a long discussion about the specifications here so this will remain brief. We all know what the X48 chipset is capable of at this point so there is no need to re-hash old information. After all, it has been around for some time now and this board is a bit of a late comer to the party. Here is a little excerpt from the ASUS web site and if you want to see more specifications, visit it here. This thread will remain primarily a results thread so you'll have to wait for the full review for more details on the specifications and features.

As I said, this is a results thread so the specifications are limited to what is above. With that said, I could go on for days about the features, specifications and capabilities of this board. ASUS has absolutely thrown everything they have on this board and there is something unique for almost every user. There are a couple features that I do want to discuss here because they pertain directly to what we do, overclock.

BIOS FlashBack

First up is the BIOS FlashBack feature which is essentially, a dual BIOS. What this dual BIOS offers, however, is complete control over both BIOS chips. We can switch between which the system boots off of in the BIOS, and we can run two different sets of settings on each. The BIOS ICs are also a DIP package again which means they are user replaceable. So even if you manage to bork both BIOS chips, you can still just order one and be back up and running...no RMA needed. Thank-you ASUS for this very nice old school implementation of a newer feature. Trust me lads, having a dual BIOS that you have full control over is very nice.

TweakIt

Second is the fanciest thing on a motherboard since...well, since ever. TweakIt is a manual system adjuster that is purely hardware driven. This means that at any time, we can adjust various settings of the motherboard such as FSB and voltages. In reality, this is basically having not only variable resistors pre-soldered to the various voltage options, but also the ability to adjust the FSB on the fly. I have played with it briefly already and the interface is very intuative. The LCD Poster acts as your guide and your fingers do the walking...it is very cool. As has been discussed here already, Futuremark has a headache on their hands with this motherboard.

Let's now talk about probably the most important aspect of this motherboard right now...price, and availability. At this very moment, there is only one place I am aware of that the Rampage Extreme is available, and that is in the UK:

OcUK - £229.99 + VAT
    Scan - £209.69 + VAT

The scary thing is that OcUK, notorious for price gouging, might not even be too far off with this price. If anyone has any further places that the board is available, just post em up and I will add them to the list. It looks like we are going to have to pay through the nose for this guy but when I consider how much my 790i, Maximus Extreme, and various other boards along the way cost...this is almost respectable for what it is. Hey...I said almost respectable. Time for some package and layout photos...as if you haven't seen enough already.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 07-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.

uncore challenged...

Package & Layout

Again, this will be just a brief fly over of the package and the layout of the board. We start with a shot of the box and then the pile of stuff that comes with the board. The Rampage Extreme is a premium board and it comes with a premium package.

click for full size...

The standard ROG package encases the RE (Rampage Extreme) with more logos plastered all over this box than a Nascar driver. The logos do in fact provide a lot of information about the RE. ASUS has done a lot of work putting all of these features on the board, they might as well display them. The front of the package has a top flap that lifts up revealing even more information about the board in side. We also get a bit of a sneak peak at the board through the transparent sections of the package. The accessory pack is all neatly arranged in the additional box inside the package that accomodates the motherboard. Here is a list of the contents that come with the reatail package...
    • 1x IDE
    • 1x floppy
    • 6x SATA (3x 90 degree angled)
    • 1x 4-pin molex to double SATA 5-pin power
    • 1x dual USB & single Firewire 6-pin PCI bracket
    • 3x optional temperature sensors
    • 1x illuminated rear I/O panel
    • 1x optional cooling fan
    • ASUS Q-Connectors
    • 2x 1/4" > 3/8" & 2x 1/4" to 1/2" adapters and worm clamps
    • rubber motherboard stand offs for open air bench setup
    • 1x optional NB air cooling attachment
    • 1x optional PWM air cooling attachment

click for full size...

The optional heat sinks allow for a little additional cooling on the PWM and NB. Their construction is pretty basic and being made of what feels like aluminum I don't expect fantastic results from the use of them, but the NB block should be a bit better for cooling than the Fusion water block if you are just going to be air cooling. Let's now do a quick jaunt around the RE's layout.

click for full size...

The layout on the Rampage extreme is very good but with the large heat sinks surrounding the socket area, there are going to be some issues with CPU coolers. I have already found that the Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX will only fit in one direction, and it isn't exactly a large cooler. With the additional heat pipe attachments for the rear PWM and NB, even more issues could arrise. It appears that the Thermalright Ultra-120/Ultra-120 Extreme shouldn't have a problem as they should clear the heat sinks, but again, with the attachments it might be a different story. As for the rest of the layout, there isn't much to complain about. The PCI-E slots are nicely spaced for GPU pots or doul slot coolers and the memory slots are well away from the CPU socket. All other connectors are along the outside edges of the board in their usual spots and the 90 degree SATA ports are a welcome site. So despite the amount of 'stuff' on the board, ASUS has done quite well in making everything accessible and compatible in my opinion.

uncore challenged...

Blue Martini's: BIOS Screenshots

BIOS Repository
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0206
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0301
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0401
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0403
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0501
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0601
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0801
    Rampage Extreme BIOS - 0901

Just remember, as Kensek and ASUS say...flash at your own risk and use the EZ-Flash method to minimize a bad flash occurring.

OC Profile: BIOS configurations
    The OC Profile feature of the ASUS BIOS allows us users to share complete BIOS configurations that can be saved to thumb drives and shared. Feel free to submit your own BIOS profile in the thread and fire me a PM if you think it should be posted here for others to use. Stuff like stable 450FSB~500FSB Quad core setups etc...

When posting a BIOS profile, be sure to include some useful information about how the BIOS is setup and be sure to list the BIOS version that it was saved from.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 11-23-2008 at 06:56 PM.

uncore challenged...

Appetizer: FSB Clocking

I will start off the overclocking with a little FSB action. So far, these are just initial results, right out of the box with the Fusion block still on. Eventually I will put water in the Fusion block and perhaps a little more cooling on the NB after that. Here is a photo of the initial setup:

click for full size...

And of course, a complete break down of the hardware used for these results...
    • MB: ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 0206)
    • CPU: Intel C2D E8600ES (Q814A526)
    • CPU Cooling: Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX
    • GPU: Biostar 8600GTS
    • NB Cooling: Stock w/Fushion block
    • SB Cooling: Stock
    • PWM Cooling: Stock
    • PSU: Silverstone Zeus 560W
    • HD: Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ

These next couple results are basically within minutes of first firing up the board. The goal was to get 600FSB stable and these were the first two shots on the way to that.

Stable FSB on Air w/E8600 - SPi 32M :: 600MHz PL9 @ 1.41vNB
    click for full size...

Stable FSB on Air w/E8600 - Dual SPi 32M :: 600MHz PL9 @ 1.48v
    click for full size...

In all honesty, the vNB along with other voltages could probably be lower but I was just hunting to get a gauge for where the board was going to be at. Remember, these were both within 20 minutes of first turning on the board. Needless to say, it is quite easy to get this board clocking. There will be far more to this section in the future as the cooling progresses.

uncore challenged...

First Course: Memory Clocking

first on the docket is the 2x1GB PC3-16000 Crucial Ballistix...

click for full size...

Dual 32M SPi...OC Report
    7-7-6-X 1T / 7-6-5-X 1T:
    Intel X48 & Crucial Ballistix PC3-16000:
    Click link for full size screenshot...
    930MHz :: 1.96v | 964MHz :: 2.05v | 980MHz :: 2.10v | 990MHz :: 2.15v

I hit a bit of a roadblock at 980MHz on the 266 strap and went up to the 333 strap to get 990MHz ran. More vNB didn't help on the 266 strap as temps were getting up over 50C under load. On the 333 strap, the memory again ran out of steam at 990MHz and that is far as I will take this kit for now at CL7. Time to move on to CL8 and for that, I figured I would see if the optional heat-pipe attachment for the NB would help.

8-7-6-X 1T:
    1030MHz :: 1.96v

Since I have hit that wall at 1030MHz and tried everything I could, I have fired off an e-mail to ASUS to see what their thoughts are. In the mean time, I have to move forward and decided to start the XMP testing. For those looking for compatible kits, this is what you want to watch. These are just the screens after dual 32M testing but full stability testing will be done for the review. BIOS defaults are loaded for each kit, and all settings are left alone.

3DMark 01
    8-7-6-X 1T:
    1110MHz :: 2.12v

I have finally replaced the thermal paste and modified the stock heat sink to provide more mounting pressure and low&behold, MCH temps dropped a solid 10~15C across the board at load and idle. This has allowed me to increase MCH voltage and do some fun things with the memory. I can get a single 32M done at 1050MHz 8-7-6 now but still no improvement on dual 32M with this D9GTS based Ballistix kit. 3DMark 01, however, was a little more fun as seen above

click for full size...

Dual 32M SPi...OC Report
    6-6-5-X 1T:
    Intel X48 & G.Skill 2GBHZ PC2-12800:
    800MHz :: 2.00v | 822MHz :: 2.05v | 842MHz :: 2.11v | 860MHz :: 2.15v

With all this talk of D9GTR doing well I figured it was time to give it a proper shot and so far so good at CL6, but that isn't the issue with D9GTS. I still get the weird boot issue once in a while with the D9GTR kit and after putting them in, I couldn't get POST without removing a single stick, loading BIOS defaults, then POSTing. Then the second stick could go in and I could get POST. I didn't have to change anything in the BIOS, just POST with a single stick first and save & exit. Also, don't mind the LN2/Dry Ice container, the fan on the stock heat sink went so I am improvising

XMP Testing
    click for full screenshot...
    Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN - ver3.1 (Micron) :: XMP
    G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI :: XMP
    I as of yet haven't determined which is at fault for the Mushkin Ascent 2x2GB kit failing to run XMP easily on this board but the kit did pass full stability testing on the GA-EP45T-Extreme recently but at 2T.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-30-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    click for full size...
    it looks like you put the memory in the white slots. board layout is similar to maximus II, and mine on maximus II is currently in the blue slots. does it really matter for blue or white dimm slots?? i just realized that the manual says memory in the white slot might offer better OC'ing. is this really true? you should try the OC on the blue slots to see if you get better or worst results

a side question: what does that fujitsu chip do? how come maximus II doesn't have one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rockqc View Post
    That looks much the same as the back plate that could be bought with the D-Tek FuZion v1 and/or came with the Pro Mount kit.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=224

I'll cut the centre out of mine once I get the board and see if it fits.
    Yes I think most of us will a few of the backplate you've linked either from buying a large HSF like the TRUE or from a waterblock. However not all of us have tools like dremel or power drills to mod ours, so we will have to rely on buying the backplate as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by REVHEAD View Post
    A question about the Sil raid controller why have Asus done this ? is it superior to the Intel raid controller in Read and Write speeds?
    I dont unbdestand why asus have done this.

I am currently using the intel raid controller , when I get my Rampage extreme will it be worth my while to swap controllers to the new one?

Thanks in advance.
    The point of adding the Silicon Image chip is to provide hardware RAID, is to basically speed things up as it will automatically set the 2 drives connected to those ports as RAID0, and you don't need drivers for windows to recognise the RAID setup and install onto it. As for the performance advantages I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    it looks like you put the memory in the white slots. board layout is similar to maximus II, and mine on maximus II is currently in the blue slots. does it really matter for blue or white dimm slots?? i just realized that the manual says memory in the white slot might offer better OC'ing. is this really true? you should try the OC on the blue slots to see if you get better or worst results

a side question: what does that fujitsu chip do? how come maximus II doesn't have one?
    Many high-end motherboards nowadays will tell you that you will get better overclocking results from using the dual channel slots further away from the Northbridge. This is because as they are further from the NB, the motherboard manufactures have more room to finetune the PCB circuitry, to basically "line up" the 2 ports better, so when the data frequency is very high as when overclocking, they get cleaner and more syncronised signals.
    nVidia chipsets such as the 790i only officially support 2000Mhz DDR speeds on the slots further from the NB, and 1800Mhz DDR on the closer 2.

As for the fat ML Cap... apparently as they have MUCH higher capacitance then standard solid aluminum caps, and provides cleaner power to the 3 components: CPU, RAM and Northbridge. It's like only the most expensive Ferrari uses the magnetorheological shock absorber while the rest gets good'ol hydraulics ones. Now are they necessary? no. Are they good bragging material? hell yeah! Although the Rampage Extreme with the ML caps already broke quite a few FSB and memory speed world records, so I would think they're most probably not just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Hi to ALL!!!

I'm a new owner of this powerful mobo....!...I have soem questions:

- For Eternal Fantasy:

Are you sure that your TR Mosfet are the Type 1???...For the rampage formula Type 2 must be used (from the thermal right site,under the compatibility list) where i've seen no mobos to use the type 1 and i don't think that the 2 mobos are much different in the use of TR mosfet...

and....on the second page i see the Enzotech mosfets cooler near the NB...do you use only the TP to keep them firm???...Or do you use thermal adesive?...If yes...what type do you use???

Now bye and thanks for all!!!...!

I am Xtreme
    Okay, couldn't take it no more.

I ordered this mobo together with 2x1GB Gskill HZ (let's hope it won't have any start up issues, fingers crossed) and a crossbow backplate.

I already have a nice E8600 that's running OCCT @4.5GHz with 1.3V under water atm.

Anyone already tried to fit an EK NB block to replace that fusion block?
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breakz View Post

Are you sure that your TR Mosfet are the Type 1???...For the rampage formula Type 2 must be used (from the thermal right site,under the compatibility list) where i've seen no mobos to use the type 1 and i don't think that the 2 mobos are much different in the use of TR mosfet...

and....on the second page i see the Enzotech mosfets cooler near the NB...do you use only the TP to keep them firm???...Or do you use thermal adesive?...If yes...what type do you use???
    Im using Type 2 Thermalrights for my mosfets, the HR09U Type 2 and HR09S Type 2 to be exact, and they fit/work great.

As for sticking ramsinks on the NB mosfets, i used thermal adhesive in the end (kept falling off with tape). Im using AS thermal ahesive, cut with AS5, somewhere around a 60/40 mix. Ive done this a few times now with little problem, but remember there is always the risk of pulling something off the board if u ever want to remove them.
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

uncore challenged...
    the G.Skill PI checked out fine for full stability so i have dropped the Mushkin Ascents in and originally they would reboot during dual 32M SPi. i then went to the G.Skill PI kit and it wouldn't even boot, hung on detecting DRAM. even after a clear CMOS it still wouldn't boot. i went to a single stick and it came right up but the XMP profile was all screwed up, timings were all over the place. i then set defaults with the single stick, saved and exited, and it came up with correct XMP timings??? threw in the second stick and voila, the G.Skill PI ran fine.

when switching back to the Mushkin Ascent, then booted up fine first time and now have no problem running the XMP profile, here is the dual 32M screenshot, they are priming as i type this...
    so i am not sure what is going on but i suspect that the board is having troubles picking up XMP profiles once in a while. that may have been my initial issue with the Mushkin Ascent as they are fine now. i did manually lower vPLL as the XMP profile for the G.Skill PI kit was much higher than necessary...who knows, that may be why the Mushkin Ascent weren't cooperating originally either

***edit***
    well, scrap that...the system just crashed running Prime Blend after about half hour with the Mushkins. they are running 1T vs 2T that the G.Skills were so i am going to try at 2T and see what happens with the Mushkins but for now will pull the XMP passing. these modules might also have been damaged in the 790i when i was clocking them on that as i haven't ran them in another board since. i will test them in the EP45T-Extreme when it frees up but with the way P45 and that board is handling memory...it might not tell us much.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-02-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

uncore challenged...
    a small update on the memory clocks, still nothing higher dual 32M SPi stable but 3D stability has gone up substantially with some more vMCH
    3DMark 01
    8-7-6-X 1T:
    1110MHz :: 2.12v

I have finally replaced the thermal paste and modified the stock heat sink to provide more mounting pressure and low&behold, MCH temps dropped a solid 10~15C across the board at load and idle. This has allowed me to increase MCH voltage and do some fun things with the memory. I can get a single 32M done at 1050MHz 8-7-6 now but still no improvement on dual 32M with this D9GTS based Ballistix kit. 3DMark 01, however, was a little more fun as seen above
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

uncore challenged...

Second Course: GPU Testing

single card GPU testing first in this section. nothing fancy just some basic numbers...

uncore challenged...

Main Course: CrossFire Feast

The games have begun with a pair of ATI HD4850s. Both cards have been volt modded and the setup is still all on air. Tonight was simply a shake down of the system, the cards, and my run order/LODs for 01. The cards don't appear to be that strong but 800MHz core and 1075MHz memory seem to be do-able for consistent benching with reasonable volts on air. Here is where I am at so far...

3DMark // AM3...OC Report
    Intel X48 & 2x ATI HD4850 512MB DDR3 // CrossFire Cat 8.7 // Stock Cooler fan @ 100%:

Click score for full size screenshot...
    01 = 93028 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 785MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 01 = 93028
    03 = 83566 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 785MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 03 = 83566
    05 = 32141 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 775MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 05 = 32141
    06 = 22523 | CPU @ 589*8 4712MHz | GPU @ 760MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 06 = 22523
    AM3 = 294913 | CPU @ 600*8 4800MHz | GPU @ 800MHz / 1075MHz

So I got AM3 sorted, with these ATI cards you have to delete the DLL file, not patch it. Man it has been too long since I benched ATI, this weekend should be fun with what I have in store for this setup

CPU at 6GHz+ on LN2 // Stock Air CF 2 x ATIHD4850
    Intel X48 & 2x ATI HD4850 512MB DDR3 // CrossFire Cat 8.7 // Stock Cooler fan @ 100%:
    01 = 112959 | CPU @ 610*10 6100MHz | GPU @ 820MHz / 1075MHz | ORB
    03 = 88615 | CPU @ 600*10 6000MHz | GPU @ 815MHz / 1075MHz | ORB
    05 = 39111 | CPU @ 610*10 6100MHz | GPU @ 825MHz / 1075MHz | ORB
    AM3 = 355645 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 815MHz / 1075MHz | HWBot.org

Oh yeah, the HD4850s tore it up with a 6GHz CPU. The board performed very well and the performance was quite good for the clocks. It really was a treat working with this setup as there were very little issues throughout the whole 9 hour session. Putting cold on the cards is next and hopefully happening this weekend.

CPU at 6.15GHz on LN2 // CF 2 x ATIHD4850 at 1000MHz core+ on LN2
    Intel X48 & 2x ATI HD4850 512MB DDR3 // CrossFire Cat 8.7 // TEK-9 4.0 SLIM:
    01 = 114997 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 1020MHz / 1075MHz @ 1.508v | ORB | HWBot.org
    03 = 102558 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 1050MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org
    05 = 40110 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 1000MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org

The culmination of all previous testing went down earlier this week with a 3 pot LN2 session on the HD4850s. I got my E8600 stable at 6150MHz for all benches and managed to improve a couple with some help from a pair of Tek-9 4.0 Slims on the GPUs. I did not have thermal probes on the GPU pots so it was fly-by-wire and they could have been maximized quite a bit more I believe. Either way, some CF HD4850 WRs fell and a solid chunk of HWBot points were earned from this very strong setup...cracked the top 50

Last edited by 3oh6; 09-13-2008 at 01:33 PM.

uncore challenged...
    small update to the crossfire numbers. i wasn't really pushing or tweaking anything but 01. numbers look good so far, just need to get this CPU cold and see what it will do on this board. benching at 600FSB tRD9 3D is nice and solid with very reasonable voltages
    3DMark // AM3...OC Report

01 = 93028 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 785MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 01 = 93028
    03 = 83566 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 785MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 03 = 83566
    05 = 32141 | CPU @ 593*8 4748MHz | GPU @ 775MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 05 = 32141
    06 = 22523 | CPU @ 589*8 4712MHz | GPU @ 760MHz / 1075MHz | ORB Link 3DMark 06 = 22523

I am having some issues with AM3 right now on this OS install. The .DLL fix isn't working and without it I get the exception crashes. Not sure what is going on at this point but hopefully I get it sorted soon.

Xtreme Member
    When I plug in my 4870x2 I get a lot of artifacts on screen (2d and 3d mode).
    I thought it was the card but now I have plugged an older card in (ATI X800 or something) and is shows just the same. Both PCI-E slots behave the same.

Could it be that I have a boad with damaged PCI-e slots?

uncore challenged...
    And the final session with the HD4850s is done. The Tek-9 4.0 Slims are a treat to work with and even without temp probes, managing them was quite straight forward. Still nursing the banged up ribs so pouring from the dewar for 3 pots was quite a chore but manageable. Either way, the session went very well and a few updates to the HD4850 scores happened...

CPU at 6.15GHz on LN2 // CF 2 x ATIHD4850 at 1000MHz core+ on LN2
    Intel X48 & 2x ATI HD4850 512MB DDR3 // CrossFire Cat 8.7 // TEK-9 4.0 SLIM:
    01 = 114997 | CPU @ 615*10 6100MHz | GPU @ 1020MHz / 1075MHz @ 1.508v | ORB | HWBot.org
    03 = 102558 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 1050MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org
    05 = 40110 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 1000MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org

The culmination of all previous testing went down earlier this week with a 3 pot LN2 session on the HD4850s. I got my E8600 stable at 6150MHz for all benches and managed to improve a couple with some help from a pair of Tek-9 4.0 Slims on the GPUs. I did not have thermal probes on the GPU pots so it was fly-by-wire and they could have been maximized quite a bit more I believe. Either way, some CF HD4850 WRs fell and a solid chunk of HWBot points were earned from this very strong setup...cracked the top 50

unfortunately that is not all the news there is and the last bit is not good. during the late stages of the session i got DRAM DET error after a reboot. this was quite common with my D9GTS and about the 3rd or 4th time it happened this session. a clear CMOS, boot with a single stick, save and exit of defaults, then plop the other stick back in gets me up and running when this happens...no problem. well, this time after the CMOS reset the LCD Poster just came up with CPU INIT, as soon as the power to the PSU was turned on

for those that are un-aware, if you get CPU INIT as soon as the PSU is turned on, your board is a brick. if anyone has had any luck getting out of this without an RMA, let me know, otherwise the board will be going back monday and i will no doubt get a dud in return from ASUS...that's just how it happens with me

3oh6, amazing work with this board! Kudos. Sorry to hear it gave up the ghost.
    Asus Rampage Extreme II | i7-940| (2x) EVGA GTX280 SLI HC Ed.|Lian Li Tyr PC-X2000| G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800)| H20| H2O w/ Feser 240mm X-Changer Rad| (2x) Velociraptor| (4x) 1TB Barracuda| Areca ARC-1220 Raid Card| X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty| PC P&C 1200W| Sony SDM-P234 monitor.

Asus Rampage Extreme| Intel QX9770| (2x) ATI Radeon HD4870 X2| Lian-Li V2100 PPC WCE| Dual-Loop, H2O w/ twin 360mm Rads| 4GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz (8-8-8-16)| (2x) Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA 32GB SSDs in RAID 0| (4x) Velociraptor| Areca 1200 RAID Card| Turbo-Cool 1200W PC P&C PSU| X-Fi Titanium| (2x) AlphaCool BigNG fan controllers| Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1| Sony SDM-P234.

Independent Advice for Asus Motherboard Owners www.asusindependent.com

uncore challenged...

Insulation: You Can Live Without It, But Very Wet

Alright, so now that the final push for the review is done, time to get back to work on this thread. I will start off with the insulation job for the LN2 session that was posted in the review. I will also be posting the benchmark results here sometime this week.

click for full size...

I start off with a 1/2" thick layer of armacell closed cell insulation cut from a large sheet. This is cut to fit perfectly inside the heat pipe cocoon and then a dremel with a dry wall carving tip is used to cut out the holes for the caps and inductors. Next is a double layer of the blue shop towels, thanks to Vince for the idea here. On top of that are two more layers of the 1/2" armacell with cutouts to accomodate the pot. Then the pot with a small donut makes an appearance on the scene. At this point the setup is ready for the inner armacell pipe insulation and a wrap of whop towels around the mounting hardware followed by another larger layer of armacell pulled over top the entire assembly. At this point we are snug as a bug and ready to rock.

click for full size...

There was one amendment that had to be made to the outer ring of armacell pipe insulation because of the Fusion block and it's flurry of worm clamps. When I find the thread that the stock heat sink uses I should be able to mount the MCW30 and will likely not have to have a chunk of the outer insulation missing. Benching was now in full swing and I finished a 9 hour LN2 session with the RE followed promptly by a nap. The board held up really well and the NB was great using just the Fusion block. It was suppose to be a feeling out session for the CPU as it hadn't been cold before but it turned into an all out benching romp when I easily found the CPUs limits. The RE benched at 600~615FSB on the 333Strap 5:8 ratio with a tRD of 9 the whole time. My E8600 had a crappy cold bug around -110C so 6100MHz was about the limit for all benches. Sorted a solid Pifast, 1M, and 32M for 2D which was followed by 01, 03, 05, & AM3 with CF HD4850s (volt modded but stock air) and single HD4850 01, 05, AM3. I have to go through all the results but here some photos...

click for full size...

From left to right, benching SPi early on, later I went back to it with a single HD4850 but I always start with my trusty 8600GTS with no drivers installed for 32M. My withdrawl device wouldn't build pressure so getting LN2 came down to manual labour. Setting the dewar on the milk crate at an angle let me rock it rather easily while using the second crate as a sort of safety stop in case I managed to lose the balance. It worked rather well but with a couple cracked ribs and recently separated left shoulder...it was a very tough 9 hours, considering I only had a 750ml thermos cup to fill . The last photo was during tear down. There was the outer armaflex layer of insulation over what is shown here but there wasn't a drop of water in site. A good bit of frost under the shop towel but absolutely zero water anywhere...the setup could have easily gone a lot longer had more cold stuff been available. I then took a couple photos during tear down, not bad for 9 hours of being -105C at the CPU base.

click for full size...

As mentioned, the insulation held up remarkably well and will be my permanent insulation solution for this setup. Having a very alrge A/C unit with de-humidifier in the bench room really helps with condensation but even still, the setup stayed perfectly dry and was begging for more. Results from this session will go up before the weekend, followed by more benching, hopefully with some extra special GPU action
    Last edited by 3oh6; 09-05-2008 at 03:31 PM.

uncore challenged...
    i finally have time for some photos and results from the weekend bench session. first some insulation photos...
    Alright, so now that the final push for the review is done, time to get back to work on this thread. I will start off with the insulation job for the LN2 session that was posted in the review. I will also be posting the benchmark results here sometime this week.

click for full size...

I start off with a 1/2" thick layer of armacell closed cell insulation cut from a large sheet. This is cut to fit perfectly inside the heat pipe cocoon and then a dremel with a dry wall carving tip is used to cut out the holes for the caps and inductors. Next is a double layer of the blue shop towels, thanks to Vince for the idea here. On top of that are two more layers of the 1/2" armacell with cutouts to accomodate the pot. Then the pot with a small donut makes an appearance on the scene. At this point the setup is ready for the inner armacell pipe insulation and a wrap of whop towels around the mounting hardware followed by another larger layer of armacell pulled over top the entire assembly. At this point we are snug as a bug and ready to rock.

click for full size...

There was one amendment that had to be made to the outer ring of armacell pipe insulation because of the Fusion block and it's flurry of worm clamps. When I find the thread that the stock heat sink uses I should be able to mount the MCW30 and will likely not have to have a chunk of the outer insulation missing. Benching was now in full swing and I finished a 9 hour LN2 session with the RE followed promptly by a nap. The board held up really well and the NB was great using just the Fusion block. It was suppose to be a feeling out session for the CPU as it hadn't been cold before but it turned into an all out benching romp when I easily found the CPUs limits. The RE benched at 600~615FSB on the 333Strap 5:8 ratio with a tRD of 9 the whole time. My E8600 had a crappy cold bug around -110C so 6100MHz was about the limit for all benches. Sorted a solid Pifast, 1M, and 32M for 2D which was followed by 01, 03, 05, & AM3 with CF HD4850s (volt modded but stock air) and single HD4850 01, 05, AM3. I have to go through all the results but here some photos...

click for full size...

From left to right, benching SPi early on, later I went back to it with a single HD4850 but I always start with my trusty 8600GTS with no drivers installed for 32M. My withdrawl device wouldn't build pressure so getting LN2 came down to manual labour. Setting the dewar on the milk crate at an angle let me rock it rather easily while using the second crate as a sort of safety stop in case I managed to lose the balance. It worked rather well but with a couple cracked ribs and recently separated left shoulder...it was a very tough 9 hours, considering I only had a 750ml thermos cup to fill . The last photo was during tear down. There was the outer armaflex layer of insulation over what is shown here but there wasn't a drop of water in site. A good bit of frost under the shop towel but absolutely zero water anywhere...the setup could have easily gone a lot longer had more cold stuff been available. I then took a couple photos during tear down, not bad for 9 hours of being -105C at the CPU base.

click for full size...

As mentioned, the insulation held up remarkably well and will be my permanent insulation solution for this setup. Having a very alrge A/C unit with de-humidifier in the bench room really helps with condensation but even still, the setup stayed perfectly dry and was begging for more. Results from this session will go up before the weekend, followed by more benching, hopefully with some extra special GPU action
    followed by some 3D results, the HD4850s on air were quite impressive. i wasn't expecting these types of numbers but was definitely happy with them when they started coming in...

CPU at 6GHz+ on LN2 // Stock Air CF 2 x ATIHD4850
    01 = 112959 | CPU @ 610*10 6100MHz | GPU @ 820MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org
    03 = 88615 | CPU @ 600*10 6000MHz | GPU @ 815MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org
    05 = 39111 | CPU @ 610*10 6100MHz | GPU @ 825MHz / 1075MHz | ORB | HWBot.org
    AM3 = 355645 | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | GPU @ 815MHz / 1075MHz | HWBot.org
    and last but not least, some 2D action. i spent very little time on 32M, far less than i normally would but i wanted to get that avalanche of 3D benches done as well and wasn't sure how long the setup was going to last. at the time of posting, a solid #8 global on the Bot for 32M
    With 3D benches above, I need somewhere for 2D results. Consider this Super Pi central

E8600 on LN2 // Round 1
    Intel X48 & Intel E8600 ES Q814A526:
    1M SPi = 7.547s | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 984MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    32M SPi = 7m 46.859s | CPU @ 610*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 976MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    PiFast = 16.20s | CPU @ 610*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 976MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org

As mentioned in the Insulation section above, the session went very well despite the E8600 not being a stellar chip. There likely won't be much updates from this section until i get some more E8600s or get my solid little E8400 in this board.

uncore challenged...
    With 3D benches above, I need somewhere for 2D results. Consider this Super Pi central

E8600 on LN2 // Round 1
    Intel X48 & Intel E8600 ES Q814A526:
    1M SPi = 7.547s | CPU @ 615*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 984MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    32M SPi = 7m 46.859s | CPU @ 610*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 976MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    PiFast = 16.20s | CPU @ 610*10 6150MHz | RAM @ 976MHz 7-6-5-18

As mentioned in the Insulation section above, the session went very well despite the E8600 not being a stellar chip. There likely won't be much updates from this section until i get some more E8600s or get my solid little E8400 in this board.

E8400 on LN2 // Round 1
    Intel X48 & Intel E8400 Q808A476:

CPU-Z Validation | CPU @ 650*9 5850MHz | RAM @ 975MHz 7-6-5-18
    1M SPi = 7.906s | CPU @ 650*9 5850MHz | RAM @ 975MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    32M SPi = 8m 17.656s | CPU @ 630*9 5670MHz | RAM @ 945MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org

E8400 on LN2 // Round 2

CPU-Z Validation | CPU @ 650*9 5940MHz | RAM @ 990MHz 7-6-5-18 tRD=9
    PiFast = 15.98s | CPU @ 648*9 5832MHz | RAM @ 972MHz 7-6-5-18 tRD=9 | HWBot.org
    wPrime 32M = 12.964s | CPU @ 655*9 5895MHz | RAM @ 982MHz 7-6-5-18 tRD=9 | HWBot.org
    wPrime 1024M = 422.417s | CPU @ 640*9 5760MHz | RAM @ 960MHz 7-6-5-18 tRD=9 | HWBot.org

I had a few liters of LN2 left so I decided to have at the E8400 again and run some PiFast and wPrime since I just figured out the secret to better times with both of them...Vista! It turned out to be quite a fruitful hour or two as I completely smashed the top HWBot E8400 PiFast time with some unruly FSB on the Rampage Extreme. This guy played with GTLs finally and it paid off in spades at the end of the session
    Last edited by 3oh6; 10-16-2008 at 09:32 AM.

uncore challenged...
    i had a few liters of LN2 left over after my CF HD4850 session today so i figured i would see how my solid E8400 would handle the cold. cold bug right around -120C so not bad. the volts were un-necessarily high and i think the 630FSB limit was a board limit. like i said, only a couple liters of LN2 to play with so i stayed safe. as it turned out, the 32M was only loop 20 when i ran out and temps dropped to -60C by the time it finished, gonna stick the single stage phase on and see if i can get close on it tomorrow sometime.

here are the results from a quick 40 minute session
    E8400 on LN2 // Round 1

CPU-Z Validation | CPU @ 650*9 5850MHz | RAM @ 975MHz 7-6-5-18
    1M SPi = 7.906s | CPU @ 650*9 5850MHz | RAM @ 975MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    32M SPi = 18m 17.656s | CPU @ 630*9 5670MHz | RAM @ 945MHz 7-6-5-18 | HWBot.org
    as for the GPUs, well, i didn't have temp probes for them so it was more of a "see if i can get anything" session and it went pretty good, except my E8600 didn't want to bench at even 600*10 so the numbers weren't that good. i did squeeze out a 114K 01 at 1075MHz core but the ORB didn't upload properly and i froze getting the screenshot ready. here is a 111K at lower clocks and no tweaks or run order...man 1000+ in nature on these cards is fun

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9414963

and the 101K 03 i managed to squeeze out, this time i lost the screen shot transferring over the network or something. i might have just saved it to the wrong place...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5932641

these cards have to go back sometime and with the E8600 not wanting to clock past 6GHz anymore, i might not waste my time trying to bench them again. next is a single GTX 280 then maybe HD4870s will be next or some HD4870 X2 action
    Last edited by 3oh6; 09-07-2008 at 03:51 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Nice results there 3oh6.

Maybe a subzero cooling solution on the NB will raise the limit?

I think you made a typo at the 32M score 18 minutes instead of 8.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Nice results there 3oh6.

Maybe a subzero cooling solution on the NB will raise the limit?

I think you made a typo at the 32M score 18 minutes instead of 8.
    hehe, yeah, i caught the 18M killer E8400 typo and made the edits...thanks.

yes, i am hoping a colder solution on the NB will raise that. i had such a little amount of LN2 left that i didn't even have time to confirm the NB was the limit by upping tRD. will do some more testing before the next fill. i just knew this E8400 of mine was a killer chip...just need to find more FSB from this board. imagine if only my 790i could have run this guy this fast
    Last edited by 3oh6; 09-07-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Page 1 of 99 12341151 ... LastLast