Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: using car radiators...why not?

Hybrid View

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by sirheck View Post
    The automotive industry has been mixing them for years.
    Like we want to mimick them . . .look at the pathetic fuel efficiency standards . . .if the computer industry was like the auto industry we would have 286's running on 4000k PSUS . . .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Like we want to mimick them . . .look at the pathetic fuel efficiency standards . . .if the computer industry was like the auto industry we would have 286's running on 4000k PSUS . . .

True

Xtreme Addict
    The automotive industry has been mixing them for years.
    Thats because you use antifreeze which is an anti-corrosive agent.

Now in your car, you aren't looking for superb temps as they have a much higher tolerance of heat. For a car 80C is nothing but for liquid cooling you'd be shatting yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Addict
    I use anti-freeze in my computers watercooling sys.

I am Xtreme
    I hope you don't have little kids or animals. Using anti-freeze is really a bad idea (ethelene glycol I think the nasty ingredient is). Highly toxic crap.

Xtreme Addict
    I hope you don't have little kids or animals. Using anti-freeze is really a bad idea (ethelene glycol I think the nasty ingredient is). Highly toxic crap.

I use it too, got 3 healthy cats and both my balls still as well.

Antifreeze has worked in my car, 20+ year old car and my cooling system isnt corroded and clogged.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer411 View Post
    I use it too, got 3 healthy cats and both my balls still as well.

Antifreeze has worked in my car, 20+ year old car and my cooling system isnt corroded and clogged.
    wait until someday when your system pops a leak and you have three dead cats . . .sorry to be harsh but I prefer to not see that happen over something as trivial as water-cooling. Doing something in ignorance is one thing . . .but to continue when you know is totally different. At least make sure your cats will not have access to the area where your computer is.
    Last edited by DarthBeavis; 05-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    well I have a dog and even though cats and dogs behave very differently (dogs being on average more trusting thus dumber) I have noticed animals are particularly apt at avoiding dangerous substances. I know this is not always the case and sorry if someone lost any kind of pet over poisonous spillage of any kind but the fact remains that 9/10 an animal won't lick a chemical unless it was especially designed to be very inviting for the dog itself.

Several times in the mountains (I go climbing and hiking a lot hence the nick ) my dog has avoided streams and puddles even if thirsty. I can only infer that there was something wrong with the water which is entirely possible given that algae and especially chemicals used in cultivation and secondary agricultural activities are prone to be dispersed in the environment.

This is my two cents on how dumb dogs really are. We should give them more credit IMHO.

cheers
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme
    2 iwaki md-30rz in series
    2 Audi tt 44x66cm car radiators....

The Ultimate Tribute to Radiators...

Daily:

Xtreme Addict
    wait until someday when your system pops a leak and you have three dead cats . . .sorry to be harsh but I prefer to not see that happen over something as trivial as water-cooling. Doing something in ignorance is one thing . . .but to continue when you know is totally different. At least make sure your cats will not have access to the area where your computer is.
    The fact of the matter is that the concentrations of ethylene glycol found in pc coolant is not enough to be incredibly dangerous to anyone.

Consider that we use a 9-1 ratio of pentosin to distilled water.

According to http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html

1/4 oz of antifreeze can kill a cat.

So that means the cat would need to ingest 2.5 oz of coolant.

Or in the case of a dog... 2 oz of e.g. or about 20 oz of coolant.

If you have that much readily accessible to a dog theres something wrong.

In regards to a cat, thats more possible, but 2.5 oz of coolant that can be consumed readily by a cat is still a lot.

Also it is very common for producers of anti-freeze to add bittering agents that make it unappealing for consumption which should help deter animals from it.

The way I see it, so long as you dont leave large quantities of antifreeze lying around, you shouldn't have a problem.

I avoid this whole mess altogether by running pure distilled water with no additives, and opaque black tubing.

Xtreme Addict

My watercooling is completely enclosed inside of my MM UFO, so my cats dont have access to it and the only time my cats are in my room is if Im in there with them. They have nasty habits of chewing cords...

Either way I still have no fear of a leak. Im using 7/16 over 1/2 barbs with hose clamps on every barb. Been doing it this way for a few years now and no problems.

So are you trying to say Im stupid for running the something in my system that can potentially be harmless to not only myself, but my pets? I guess I had better get rid of all my asprin, cleaning supplys that are kept under the kitchen sink in full access of my pets as well as get rid of my beer in the fridge. Im taking the necessary precautions with my system and am fully willing to accept any consequences if they happen. My animals have a better chance chewing thru a the bottle of pinesol under my sink while Im gone at work than they do drinking the prestone in my loop
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Addict
    Yes but you don't use straight anti-freeze, at least I hope you don't...

Attack Dachshund
    remember this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=155220
    car radiator used to cool an entire crunching farm...

Xtreme Addict
    My swiftech sys came with antifreeze.

I am Xtreme
    My swiftech sys came with antifreeze.
    look to see if it uses what I said to propolene glycol (sorry if I am not spelling it right folks). I think PG is the non-toxic version but I will have to wait until the wife comes home to verify (she is a vet)

Xtreme Addict

By sirheck

I am Xtreme
    I would not use that Pentosin stuff!!! At least if you have kids or pets as I have said. It is always possible to spring a leak. And by the way I had my wife look at those labels. They may work well for water-cooling but they have downsides as I have pointed out.

Xtreme Addict
    No i dont use straight anti freeze.
    I have been working on cooling sys. since the mid 80,s
    And there is nothing wrong with me.

/twitches

Xtreme Addict
    A little ethylene glycol won't hurt ya :P

Damn diluted blue pentosin...

"Hey water!, Im thirsty" *Glug glug glug*

"Oh that was my coolant wasnt it....."

Back from the Dead
    Sure you can run a mixed loop. Just use BASF G11 or G48 1:10 with destilled water and you're safe (G11 is red, G48 is blue and they are both glysantine-based)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah they say it has a sweet taste.
    It does if you get just a little bit.
    But if you get a lot. ITS the nastiest tasting stuff i have ever tasted.
    Burned my whole mouth all day long.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, the pentosin only has a small amount of glycol in it, and the mixture was something like 1 part pentosin to 25 parts water. So the amount was incredibly small.

Besides, I'm doing science and I'm still alive.

I am Xtreme
    The glycol argument if there is actually an argument is really stupid. If you have pets or kids just do not use it. There are other alternatives. If I ran a store selling water-cooling supplies I would not carry ANYTHING with this crap in it.

Xtreme Addict
    I was siphoning (by mouth) antifreeze out of a 50 gallon container(not reccomended) and well you know what happend next

I am Xtreme
    I was siphoning (by mouth) antifreeze out of a 50 gallon container(not reccomended) and well you know what happend next
    so it causes retardation as well?

lol . . .j/k

Xtreme Addict
    glycol is very tasty and sweet ... but it'll kills you .. almost every glycol is sweet ... although there's some small % responsible manufacturers who actually made them bitter ..
    if u felt sorry of giving ur dog glycol ... u can subsitute with 15g chocolate ... it's tasty too ... and does the job as well

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast