Thread: NVIDIA Acquires RayScale Software

Xtreme Addict

NVIDIA Acquires RayScale Software

"PC Perspective sends word to us that during a meeting in San Jose, NVIDIA has announced that it is to aquire a ray tracing software company called RayScale. Interesting acquisition indeed, but little is known at the moment. There's still no press release issued. RayScale starts its life from the University of Utah, and currently it provides interactive ray tracing and photo-realistic rendering solutions. Ray tracing is a technique for rendering three-dimensional graphics with very complex light interactions."

source; http://www.techpowerup.com/60926/NVI..._Software.html

rayscale site; http://rayscale.com/
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It seems they specialize in Hybrid rendering and in GPU Raytracing Rendering!
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Addict
    lol, raytracing is one of Intel's main publicly stated arguments concerning the development process of Larabee; very interesting news!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It looks like Nvidia is going to give the fight they claim against intel...
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

IIIIIIIInteresting.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos4 View Post
    lol, raytracing is one of Intel's main publicly stated arguments concerning the development process of Larabee; very interesting news!
    Yummy. I can't wait for the mud slinging!

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos4 View Post
    lol, raytracing is one of the "rumer mill's" main publicly stated arguments concerning the development process of Larabee; very interesting news!
    fixed

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04...raster_units/1

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....this makes life more interestingly dull...waits for a new legion of fanbois to come out of hiding

Xtreme Member
    Hope some games with raytracing will come out quite soon then (in about 5 yrs perhaps)...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Woot! This means absoloutly nothing for the near future!

Xtreme Member
    great then it will be like back when we had 3dfx glide and needed programers to use that instead of DX and OGL
    CPU:X3210 G0@3.6 (8x450 1.48v)
    MOBO: Asus P5K Premium, bios 402
    RAM: 4x 1GB DDR2-1066 @ 1080 5-5-5-15 2.3v
    CASE: antec 900
    GPU: XFX GeForce 7900gt @600/1900
    PSU: silverstone OP1000
    Cooling: MCP655, Apogee GT, MCR320-QP-K

Xtreme Member
    was'nt it nvidia that rubbished intels raytracing project !! .....two faced or what!......talk about trying to save face....

Quote Originally Posted by Dragy2k View Post
    was'nt it nvidia that rubbished intels raytracing project !! .....two faced or what!......talk about trying to save face....
    Well, intel is aiming for raytracing to be x86 based, mainly because NVidia can't do x86 chips(forcing nvidia out of the market entirely). As such, NVidia showing it done on a risc gpu instead of a x86 processor it turns the tables back on intel, plain and simple. Sony & IBM have already shown that the cell(a risc chip) can do raytracing better than any present x86 chip, this will just put more icing on that cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not rumor mill. You had Pat Gelsinger up on the stage and powerpoint slides pointing at the loveliness of ray tracing, and ray tracing is something Larrabee will do. Then you had a bucket load of sites going 'oh em gee Larrabee will render every game with ray tracing and it will look like a slide show'. This guy just wanted to point out that it's not *all* it will do.

Publically they were skeptical about ATI's unified shader architecture when ATI were hyping that, and look where that brought them. It seems their modus operandi is skepticism in public and quickly moving the pieces into place more quietly in the background.

At least Larrabee will have some competition now.

Xtreme Monster
    If we check all the sources since everything started. We will see that GT200 and this acquisition is more likely to be a response to analysts who plagued Nvidia's business and development concepts. This was very expected and the overreaction will compromise it next year. As DilTech said and totally agree is, Nvidia wants to play Intel's game and prove that the hybrid or joint of both technologies(Rasterization and Ray Tracing) will be the best way to render graphics. I'm not sure what outcome will be found once it comes to the reality. The remarks are clearly stated, the war is on and far from the end.

Metroid.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    Well, intel is aiming for raytracing to be x86 based, mainly because NVidia can't do x86 chips(forcing nvidia out of the market entirely). As such, NVidia showing it done on a risc gpu instead of a x86 processor it turns the tables back on intel, plain and simple. Sony & IBM have already shown that the cell(a risc chip) can do raytracing better than any present x86 chip, this will just put more icing on that cake.
    Y'know, I hope the next Windows will be ever worse. 'Cause then, x86 will probably just die in favor of virtualized legacy support on some sort of lightweight instruction set architecture, be it PPC based (e.g. Cell), or something else entirely..

It's too... bloated.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Y'know, I hope the next Windows will be ever worse. 'Cause then, x86 will probably just die in favor of virtualized legacy support on some sort of lightweight instruction set architecture, be it PPC based (e.g. Cell), or something else entirely..

It's too... bloated.

Xtreme Member
    didnt nvidia said raytracing was a publicity stunt? not sure

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dduckquack View Post
    didnt nvidia said raytracing was a publicity stunt? not sure
    yes they did, and they were specific that hybrid approach is the way to go, and intel is clear on this subject saying that hybrid approach is rubbish
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    all this news about all this stuff Nvidia is doing, sounds like they are setting up something big, something terrifying, Its like Darth Sidious's evil plan with the clone army, except instead of jedi being the enemy, its intel. I cant wait to sit around and see if there will ever be a luke skywalker for intel in the future.

I can see it now.

Geforce: Larrabee, I am your father!

Larrabee: Nooooooooooooooooo!!

think about it, X86 license possibly, ray tracing, physx, possible cpu/gpu solution.
    Last edited by Decami; 05-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    all this news about all this stuff Nvidia is doing, sounds like they are setting up something big, something terrifying, Its like Darth Sidious's evil plan with the clone army, except instead of jedi being the enemy, its intel. I cant wait to sit around and see if there will ever be a luke skywalker for intel in the future.

I can see it now.

Geforce: Larrabee, I am your father!

Larrabee: Nooooooooooooooooo!!

think about it, X86 license possibly, ray tracing, physx, possible cpu/gpu solution.
    lol, i think your confuse something. If at all intel is the empire and nv the rebels, you remember amd befor they have awakend the "sleeping giant", y just like nv is now.

I bet it will be a "put up or shut up" situation all over again.

Live Long And Overclock
    How does this affect their gpu product line.

Perkam

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    lol, i think your confuse something. If at all intel is the empire and nv the rebels, you remember amd befor they have awakend the "sleeping giant", y just like nv is now.

I bet it will be a "put up or shut up" situation all over again.
    I dont, know, niether companies have been a sleeping giant really, more seems like the star wars thing to me. But which side is the rebels, is the tricky thing to figure out. But I like to think its Nvidia, just for fun, and for the reason that everything intel does if kind of in the public knowledge, while everything Nvidia does is in shadows.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    The writing is on the wall. Good call!