Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to making your LGA775 MB ready for IHS'less cooling solutions!

Banned

Guide to making your LGA775 MB ready for IHS'less cooling solutions!

Making your LGA775 MB Ready for IHS'less Cooling Solutions
    brought to you by xtremesystems.org

UPDATED! (9.9.2006)

General Disclaimer: Completing any of the modifications shown in this guide will and do void the warranty of any altered components. Proceed at your own risk. Neither I not XS.org accept any responsibility for damage done to yourself of your equipment. As always, play safe!

Removing the Intel IHS has always been a great way to drop temperatures as much as ~10-12C sometimes providing additional overclocking headroom; sometimes permitting the lower voltages for identical CPU core speeds...

The Intel LGA775 mounting system has been particulary difficult to deal with when it comes to naked CPUs.....until now. The solution is so simple it should almost be criminal.

The problem with removing the Intel IHS is that the newly exposed core sits lower than the edges of the LGA775 bracket cover piece making it impossible to make the much needed CPU <-> heatsink/waterblock/evaporator head contact without completing time consuming, permantently altering modifications to your cooling solution. Not any more!

***Note: Be sure to protect your pins when doing this! A slip of your hands could quickly ruin your expensive motherboard!

Open the LGA775 socket on the motherboard that you will be "modding." Then, using a slight twisting force, push in on one side of the bracket while pulling out slighting on the other side. You should find that the hinge on one side easily moves past the retaining slip which allows you to completely remove the cover. You easily later reverse this modification by re-installing the cover just as you removed it.

Here's what we're left with:

Mounting is now possible. The LGA775 cover braket is not really need to properly secure the CPU in place before mounting your cooling solution. Torquing down on the mounting bolts will push the CPU into the socket well enough to make complete contact as required. Be careful now that you have an exposed, naked core. Too much pressure can result in damage to your processor.

Note that mounting the CPU without the MB being held horizontal may be difficult/impossible now that there is nothing to securely locate the CPU in place while installing your cooling solution.

-> Final thought: Although I do not have a new AMD LGA1207 MB to test this on I would be very surprised if this same concept could not also be applied to those sockets....

Pictures of IHS'less Intel LGA775 CPU: Intel Celeron D 356 used in this example.

Dual core w/IHS removed: (Presler 940)

-FCG

Last edited by freecableguy; 09-24-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    let me guess, another 5 start sticky? cool, keep the info com'n
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Member
    Very clean

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great as always!

Admin
    Awesome and very clean indeed....will be interesting to see how much of a gain comes from doing this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    tell us more about cooling and moding DS3 PLZ

INTEL inside
    awesome work
    will it need foam/rubber to not crush the core ?
    retired computer enthusiast

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertim0r
    awesome work
    will it need foam/rubber to not crush the core ?
    No, here's the beauty of the pins: as your apply pressure to the core watch the total height of the CPU substrate above the motherboard. As soon as it starts to "sink" down as the pins flex under the weight of the heatsink, etc....just stop tightening the bolts. As long as you don't bottom out the CPU on the socket you won't be able to develop enough pressure to hurt anything.

-FCG

Xtreme Member
    I'm having enough trouble trying to summon the courage to lap my E6600. Remove the IHT? No way!

-phil
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (week 24 A - lapped) 2.4GHz @ 3GHz (vcore 1.35)
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe 1901 (66MOAG/G0AAY)
    Noctua NH-U 12 w/ 2 X Coolermaster 120x120mm
    OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 2X1GB - 4-5-4-15 (OCZ2P8002GK)
    OCZ ModStream 450w
    BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS (320MB)
    WD Raptor 74GB
    SB X-Fi XtremeMusic

Xtreme Enthusiast
    actually, the bending of the tab is unnecessary. You can flip the top to its full open position, and just kind of bend back one side to get one of the "hinges" out of its spot, and then push back, and you can pull the other one back in. You cna put it back in incase the mobo craps out, and no warranty lost. I've dont it to a ds3 and a p5b.

Also, though, with the P5b-D, the socket Asus uses is different from the one gigabyte uses. On the gigabytes the entire socket is now clear for any mounting of cpu coolers, BUT the P5B is NOT. Towards the lever hinge, there are 2 tabs that portrude over the cpu package and these 2 tabs are HIGHER than the cpu die. AN Apogee Block will no work without a spacer. A storm block will work because the base 45mm instead of 50mm like the apogee.

To hold the cpu in palce while mouting, i used scotch tape around the edges to the black part of the socket. This seems to work quite well, and usually the cpu will not be pulled out when removing your cooling block/hs.

Also, I cannot sturess enough!!! YOU NEED TO MAKE FEET!!!!! YOU NEED TO mAKE FEET!!! YOU NEED TO MAKE FEET!!!. You will crush the core if you do not. YOU NEED TO MAKE FEET!!!.

***** 4 LAYERS IS ELECTRICAL TAPE WORKS PREFECT******
    You can either put along the edge of the cpu of make 4 Athlon XP Style feet.

And be careful not to tighten down too hard, becuase some sockets, like the P5b's dont like it and it will short pins together, and you will be able to boot. Doesn't damages anything, as far as i've seen, but it will not boot, and frustrate the HELL out of you.

Here's some pics of mine. I just took back my P5B, or was it called POS ???, anyways, its gone, and i have no board right now, so sorry, no socket pics.

You can see some of my results in this thread http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113834

BUT, this was with an Apogee block and mpc 350 with another block, unused at the time, and mcr-220 with fans on 5v. THe Apogee is not too good with the nacked core, because its pins style and there is not enough base to spread the heat out. I've got a storm, mcp 655 and another mcr-220 but now have not way to really test it. My Ds3 should be back by next weekend, and i should be able to test the storm then.

With the apogee though, the results were OK. I was able to get about 3-4c lower load temps in 10-12c HIGHER ambient. In order to use the apogee on the P5B though, i had to make a 45mmx45mmx5mm copper spacer / plate (peltier cold plate basically), and my installation of xp was only seeing one core. But with that, at stepped down voltage (1.18v) idle was 33c, and 38c @ 1.3v, and single core load (1.3v) was 48c. With the storm mounted directly to the core temps were 29c 1.18v, 36c 1.3v idles, and 43c single core load. These were read with Asus Probe. Core temps only yeilded a couple degree difference, but i think that is because those sensors are right smack in the middle of a hot spot, and Asus probe, and easy tuner, and speed fan all read the TJunction temps, which is what i can really have an effect on, since its closest to out cooling method.

You can compare these results to the previous ones in that thread and see that there is some concrete improvements.

Ok thats all i've got for now. Have fun folks!

Last edited by menlatin; 09-09-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    Current 24/7 settings
    Delidded L628B e6400@ 3.6ghz 1.38v
    3.9ghz 1.56v dual prime, 4ghz dual 32m pi stable on water and P5B Deluxe
    Patriot 667 LLK @ 970 mhz 4-4-4-4 2.3v
    x1900xt 690/780

Xtreme Addict
    convenient service: FCG's IHS removals
    classifieds.

you're a smart guy fcg!!

but again, this is great for dropping your proc's temps!

Banned
    Dual core w/IHS removed: (Presler 940)
    w/ and w/o flash shown

-FCG

Last edited by freecableguy; 09-24-2006 at 07:45 PM.

INTEL inside
    wowow ! clean job
    conroe look identical ?
    I do not have the balls to remove it

Memory Addict
    yeah very clean... but my balls ain't tha big to start removing the IHS off LGA775 cpus LOL
    ---

Xtreme Member
    Wow so you can remove the intel heatsink easily now? Like the AMD's

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

Xtreme Member
    Not easily..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconx3
    Wow so you can remove the intel heatsink easily now? Like the AMD's
    Well, I can....don't know about you.

Regarding Conroe - it's dual core, single die. The dual die picture above is a 940 Presler (65nm), basically 2 Cedar Mill dies on one package.

Xtreme Member
    is it still glued on?
    Last edited by Rubiconx3; 09-10-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

INTEL inside
    you removed a conroe ihs yet ?

Xtreme Member
    Yes he did.. so I... it's possible!
    @ fcg: With which method did you clean the DIE? I've lapped it with 1000er grid...
    @ menlatin: no need for feets -> work carefully and you won't crush the DIE...I've mounted a waterblock without any problems...

btw: you could use some tape to hold the cpu in place when you remove the cooler after a long working period -> the other way you'll lift up the cooler with the cpu and there is a small chance to kill the pins...
    Last edited by Entsafter; 09-10-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Entsafter
    @ menlatin: no need for feets -> work carefully and you won't crush the DIE...I've mounted a waterblock without any problems...

Or use the feets for insurance. I mean, there is no reason not to. Say you've got a Tuniq Tower 120, and you actually have your computer in case (thats a concept, ey, ey, ey ) There is going to be uneven force on the die. That tiny ~ 300mm^2 area. Thats just not safe. Especially if you're one of these die hard clockers that dont just put a cpu in and leave it in. Hell, i've had my core 2 for about a month, and i've already mounted my water blocks about 15-20 times. Who's going to be perfect every mount...? Sure as hell not me.

Plus with the feet, you can get by with turning one screw down a turn or more than the others, ad not crush the die. You'll some crappy temps, but thats it. The tape squishes only a tiny bit and its simply perfect for these cores, as well as A64 cores.

And its not like its expensive insurance or anything. Takes 5 mins max to make the feet and apply. But hey, if you think you can do without, i'm not going to make you.
    Current 24/7 settings
    Delidded L628B e6400@ 3.6ghz 1.38v
    3.9ghz 1.56v dual prime, 4ghz dual 32m pi stable on water and P5B Deluxe
    Patriot 667 LLK @ 970 mhz 4-4-4-4 2.3v
    x1900xt 690/780

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    the lack of 'stuff' atop the C2D makes it look perfect for feet. i was gonna make feet for my 939s but all those little things on the top would have made it hard... i just skipped it.

but what id do is buy the double thick electrical tape (over an inch wide) and cut squares with holes in them, to make like the guy above made, but more like a complete gasket. that would be awesome.

too bad ill never remove the IHS on my C2D.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd be scared to do that, a €400 chip.

Xtreme Member
    Nice, thanks!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    You can lap a the core!! Isn't it instantly damaged that way??
    ________
    Lovely Wendie
    Last edited by XS Janus; 05-12-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast